Coerced Diabetes

by snippyfemme

medicinal: of or relating to medicine or drugs// hospital-ish

well-meaning blogs result in lingering insecurities. 

i keep forgetting that you don't have needle bruises                                                                     because my scar tissue feels like home.                                                                                           and i wonder why you shiver as i caress your cheeks with my calloused pinkies.                                        is it my touch or the craters in my skin? 

last month a word found my core.                                                                                              medicinal. am i medicinal?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           the pager pumping life into my veins says no                                                                                     my heart says otherwise 

it's easy to love a cancer patient.                                                                                                     harder to fuck one. harder still to fuck a diabetic.                                                                           tubing kills, you know.  

catheters aren't sexy.

pacemakers aren't sexy.

insulin pumps aren't sexy. 

someone should tell me that diabetes isn't a religion,                                                                       you can't convert people to it.                                                                                                    everyone's favorite joke is my favorite pastime                                                                                  but i don't have to make it your favorite pastime.                                                                                

maybe i am medicinal.                                                                                                                        after all, needles and bloodstained tissues line my walls.                                                                  but maybe medicinal could be beautiful                                                                                                 if i could just see past the scarred tips of my fingers.

my immune system is faulty. i think yours is lovely. 

Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:02 am
StellaThomas wrote a review...

Hey @snippyfemme! I read this last night and I completely adored it. Completely. Adored. I thought it had such a strong message - because when people talk about "hidden illnesses" they tend to think of mental illnesses, or things without tangible physical consequences, but many chronic diseases have these hallmarks like diabetes that, to the surface the person looks perfectly ordinary, but lift up their shirt and you'll see a different story.

Loved the lines about tubing.

So, I really liked the message of your poem and most of its features too.

One thing I'd question is the use of the word "medicinal" - for some reason it didn't quite hit the chord with me that it should have. I think because it's not a clinical enough word to me - it conjures up visions of "medicinal herbs" and as well, it suggests a curative function, which doesn't seem to be the aim you're going for. Words like clinical, pharmaceutical, sterile, therapeutic all to me bring up more of a picture of modern day healthcare than medicinal. But this is from reading through my own frame of reference so feel free to ignore me.

A couple of things on this stanza:

someone should tell me that diabetes isn't a religion, you can't convert people to it. everyone's favorite joke is my favorite pastime but i don't have to make it your favorite pastime.

Firstly, this is the teeniest tiniest complaint, but I mean, you can technically convert someone to diabetes if we're talking Type 2. As in, it is something people can develop. Obviously you know that, but when I read the line that's all I thought about xD (again, frame of reference). Secondly, I[m not 100% sure what the second two lines refer to. They don't make much sense to me, or add anything to the poem for me.

Other than that - those are all little things, but I thought that the overall effect was beautiful. A+.

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x

Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:33 am

Wow. This is amazing! I love how you formatted this so much! You did such a good job of creating this image of a diabetic. I also really like all of the medical terms and how you kind of honed in on "medicinal" as a way to relate all of what you say. This is a really quirky poem but I love how you made this so unique without making it super complex or all over the place.

I really love every single one of the lines in this, but the one line that reads weird is "I keep forgetting that you don't have needle bruises because my scar tissue feels like home." I'd recommend you insert a "like me" after bruises, or maybe a "to me" after tissue, but I do feel that you need to insert a couple more words to make the line overall more comprehensible. Another line that reads slightly awkward is "but maybe medicinal could be beautiful" as you're talking ik third person before going back to first. You could possible insert a "to me" after beautiful if you so inclined, but it's not necessary for the reader to understand what you're trying to say.

I don't really have much else to say otherwise that you are a really good poet! Great job on incorporating so many terms and making it such an interesting poem to read. This format drew me into reading your poem, and I loved how the poem lead me to almost skipping lines trying to follow the words. I hope this review can help you, at least a little! Bravo!

It is better to take what does not belong to you than to let it lie around neglected.