Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » Politics

Teen Ethics and Morals

by sjcline

When it comes to politics, ethics, and morals, I bet a lot of people don’t think of the views of the younger members of society (partially because many can’t vote yet). Growing up, though, I always heard that one day my generation would rule the world. Looking at my high school class there are few of us who are actually willing to put ourselves into the government to take on this task. When I decided this might be a good field for me, I started trying to figure out what my views were and how our government could and should change. My first road block was the difference between morals and ethics. Some may say they are the same but after a couple debates/ conversations with my dad, I figured out what they mean for me. Then came the idea of these two concepts in our government, but I will get into that later.

To start off, I am going to define the difference between morals and ethics which I understand don’t mean the same thing for everyone. My view is that morals are applied to the individual, while ethics are really what are socially acceptable. Morals are taught by parents, so I am against stealing because my parents taught me that it is wrong, however, someone who doesn’t have the same upbringing may not have the same kind of principle as me. Ethics are another story; as teenagers we really don’t deal with ethical problems. Sure we deal with gossip, peer pressure, backstabbing, and petty acts of mental terrorism, but these really are not ethical in the conventional sense. How are these different from a work place dilemma or a job threatening act that is not accepted as the norm? In teen life, this is common place; we deal with peer pressure all the time even if it is just our friends convincing us to go play ultimate Frisbee. Teenagers manipulate each other to get their way and though this may be seen as unethical, in high school society it is perfectly acceptable.

Now moving towards the political realm, maybe the reason teenagers aren’t interested in politics is not only due to the inability to vote but to the fact we don’t deal with ethical problems and politics deal mainly in this. When looking at government, there is a gray line that separates morals and ethics and this can be seen in the people running our country. Take President Nixon, what he did with Watergate was ethically wrong in the idea that he deliberately broke the law and in this case it was also immoral. Or President Clinton who had an affair which was immoral of him and then lied under oath making it an ethical issue. So what would be something purely ethical? Well, promises made by those either in government or going into government that they have no way of keeping, whether they thought they could or not, is an example of this. This is not immoral of them because there really is no question of their personality or how they were raised involved, but is it ethical for them to promise one thing and either do another or make promises they can’t keep?

Hi there sjcline and welcome to YWS! Overall, this isn't badly written, but I do have a big problem with this idea that teens don't face ethical issues. What about cheating/plagiarism? This is an ethical issue by your definition as well as a moral one because cheaters hurt those who worked for their grades/title/whatever and plagiarism hurts the ideal that every creator has the right to get credit for their work and control how others use it.

Teenagers cheat all the time. Heck, even Harvard students cheat. Sometimes it's clearly intentional, like texting answers to a friend during a test. Other times, it's less intentional, like quoting something from the Internet without properly citing it. There's all sorts of solutions out there, like banning cell phones or scanning papers on Turnitin, but it's hardly going to stop determined people.

Dealing with bullying is another issue that teens face. How many have witnessed bullying and harassment and failed to report it? That's a clear ethical issue that can definitely affect how they will deal with these issues as adults.

Alcohol and drugs can also lead to immoral/unethical choices. Like drinking and driving, or destroying other's property. Heck, just driving in general leads to lots of moral/ethical choices (should I speed? Should I drive away from the scene of an accident?).

Overall, the writing isn't bad, but there are some gaping holes in the argument. Ethics is not solely about big political issues, but also about things that are relevant to teens that can also affect how they behave as an adult. I'd do some more research on the issues I presented and re-examine the argument. Keep writing! :)

rishabh wrote a review...

wow! ur whole stuff is praiseworthy! it is better, i really enjoyed when u said teenagers should focus on poliyics! grt! as a teenager don't follow mark zuckerburg or bill gates or ivan komprard..............but follow the politics! as these personalities hv worked a lot in bussiness feild when teenagers come out of this business stuff! go to politics and show wat wonders u can do!

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:44 am
Hikes wrote a review...

Hi,

I like the enthusiasm of this piece. Teenagers should, perhaps, think of this matters. Ethics matter and one thing that frustrates everyone ( not just teens) is the breaking of promises or, unethical behavior while staying in office. I think you tried to show this clearly.

Ethics are is another story; as teenagers we really don’t deal with ethical problems.

you're saying that teenagers don't really deal with ethical problems? I think they do, it's a small minority but believe it or not, but they do deal with these stuff. How they deal with it should be the question.

There are some structural problems that makes your article a bit hard to understand. for example,
Now moving towards the political realm, maybe the reason teenagers aren’t interested in politics is not only due to the inability to vote but to the fact we don’t deal with ethical problems and politics deal mainly in this.

and,
So what would be something purely ethical? Well, promises made by those either in government or going into government that they have no way of keeping, whether they thought they could or not, is an example of this.

I can't really understand what you are trying to tell.

Anyway, other than those, I thinks it's a very good start and maybe, with a little bit of editing, it could create a great deal of awareness on this matter.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:11 am
KandiNekol01d wrote a review...

Hullo!
So I was drawn in by the title, of course. Not the most intriguing title, but it is eye-catching. I really liked the fact that this is from a first-person, personal viewpoint. Also, I appreciate that you gave an easy-to-understand-and-relate-to explanation for readers about the difference between morals and ethics. The ending paragraph was good, but to me it seemed like a part was chopped off the very end that should have been the summary sentence, of a sort. Other than that, this was different, original, an essay for all audiences (though children may not find this very interesting) and something that leaves the reader with something to think about. Great job with this, and keep writing!

I want to do with you what spring does with the cherry trees.
— Pablo Neruda