12+

This Business of Love (Chapter 1: The Unexpected Visitor)

by sinistercutlass

It was a spring evening in Edge City, and strange pink and green gases mingled with clouds scudding across the moon. On an apartment rooftop in the middle of the city, a man and a woman found themselves around a little table spread with a clean white cloth and a ravishing meal.

When Stanley Ipkiss pulled out Tina Carlyle's chair for her, he bowed from his waist and proffered the seat with a flourish of his fingers.

Tina smiled tightly, and took the seat, rolling her eyes when her back was to him.

Stanley seated himself opposite and gestured at the table spread between them. "So, what d'you think?"

On their plates were spears of buttered asparagus, a bread roll each, and a delicate little construction involving grilled salmon drizzled in sriracha and garnished with bean sprouts and thin slices of radish.

"I had to rewind that Julia Child tape about a dozen times to get it right," he said, grinning. He affected a ridiculous French accent. "But finally, I conquered ze dish!"

Tina shut her eyes wearily. Stanley seemed not to notice. He proudly drew the lid off a little porcelain pot, which was filled to the brim with glistening black caviar.

"Imported straight from Italy," he assured her.

A black bottle of wine, with and ancient fat brown cork yet to be removed, stood between them. Tina touched it and with her long, smooth finger drew off a thick trail of dust. It was probably at least a hundred years old.

"Californian oak-aged Pinot Noir!" Stanley declared, pinching his thumb and forefinger and shaking his cultured fist for emphasis.

Tina smiled sadly. "Stanley, this is... amazing. But you can't afford all of this."

"You're worth it," he reassured her.

"And you're sweet," she said. "But no date is worth a sacrifice like this."

Tina picked up her fork and started into her meal. Stanley rested his wrists on the edge of the table, and looked downtrodden.

"I was just trying to be romantic..." he said softly. "You know... like him."

Tina bit off a hunk of asparagus, and chewed it down. She placed her own wrists against the edge of the table and gave her companion a dark look. "You are him, Stanley."

Stanley withdrew his wrists and leaned back in his chair, self-consciously. "You know that's not how it works. The mask belonged to the Norse god Loki, or carved in his likeness, I guess. It does something to the wearer's mind, makes 'em less inhibited..."

Tina had a resolved look about her. "There's also something called the 'placebo effect', Stanley."

"Wait, you know what that is?" came Stanley's curious, inappropriate response.

Tina rolled her eyes. "Of course. Everyone knows what it is. I've also always known what a Rorschach test was; I only pretended not to know it, so I could get video footage of the bank vault."

"Oh. Right," Stanley said, grinning toothily. She was not amused. Stanley swallowed.

"But you gotta admit, I did some pretty weird stuff with that mask on-"

Tina nodded emphatically-

"-you know, stuff that defies rational explanation..."

"It doesn't change the fact that what I saw was just another side of you, Stanley... a side I don't really like that much."

Stanley's face moved into a quizzical look. "Hold the phone: didn't you say to me," - he imitated her whistful drawl - "'You should see him dance'?"

"He was fun for a while, Stanley. But the big gestures, and the one-liners... it's all show. It's all to make you look good. And you're doing it more and more... even without the mask on," she explained, looking crestfallen. "I feel like I'm acting out a play with you, and I don't want to do that anymore. I just want to relax and be real with you."

Stanley felt cold. He hunched his shoulders, curling in on himself. He picked up his roll, and buttered it morosely. "Does this mean we can't watch old cartoons on our dates anymore?"

Tina gave him a withering look. "I think we should stop the dates for a while, so you can re-evaluate who you want to be."

She stood up, and collected her clutch. She gestured at the expensive, time-intensive meal. "And sort out your priorities."

She turned to leave, before adding, "For future reference, yes, it would be nice to watch a grownup movie, for once."

With that, she returned to the apartment complex, and marched down the stairs.

Stanley looked over his beautiful meal, the wine unopened. He found he had no appetite left.

He considered tossing the lot over the edge of the roof. But he had worked long and hard on the meal, and he found that the injustice of such a waste offended him more than angrily tossing it promised to cheer him up. He decided to save it.

Standing up, arms akimbo, jabbing one finger dramatically skyward, he declared, "This looks like a job for... TUPPERWARE!"

In the ringing silence following this bit of theatrics, Stanley winced. He slapped his head twice, to knock sobriety back in.

Stanley turned to open the door and head downstairs to his apartment when he came face to face with a huge man in a black cape and cowl crouched above the door lintel.

ParanormalMyth wrote a review...

Hey, sinistercutlass! Happy Review Day!

Well, onto...

#000000 "> The Review!

#004000 ">Plot

#004000 "> I read down below where this a a fanfic of a movie. I personally haven't seen said movie, so I'm just going to read this as if it were a regular old story most likely.

You've done a great job with your first paragraph! It really grasped me, and made me want to read more.

Ew, caviar. So far I really love your description and unique word choice. It makes the story interesting to read, and easy to picture.

This mask seems really interesting. I'll be anxious to learn more about it. I like how Tina mentioned the "placebo effect". It's a interesting idea, and it really makes me wonder about Stanely, and who he is. He seems dead-bent on impressing Tina, even if he may not have the money. Which in turn makes me wonder two more things; Why is Tina so special to Stanely, and If Stanely is this guy with a mask that almost sounds superhero-like, how does he not have money. This first chapter leaves me with lots of questions actually, which is good since it makes me want to read on and learn more about these things. So, good job with this!

#FF0000 ">Characters

#FF0000 "> Well, you've done a pretty good job with your characters in this chapter! You've introduced them well, and have set a personality for them both. You also have managed to have readers establish a connection with both characters (or at least I did) So, great job with this too!

#800080 ">Other

#800080 "> N/A

#000080 ">Typos/Grammar/Odd Sentences

#000080 "> I really like your unique word choice, but I did notice that I got a bit confused by it a couple times. It was probably just me, but I thought I'd put it out there. Here's an example of one of the ones that tripped me up~
He affected a ridiculous French accent. "But finally, I conquered ze dish!"

The word "affected" was what threw me off. But upon re-reading the sentence, I understood it. So it was most likely me. :)

Well, have a great day!

~Myth

I'm glad you liked it. I recommend checking out "The Mask" again. It's really fun :) I love the swing and latin dance element to it.

It's pretty canonical that Stanley is addicted to/in awe of the beautiful Tina Carlyle. I just felt that he would be a pretty cheesy, over-dramatic lover like this. As for not having money... well, I suppose he would try to impress Tina by not robbing banks or by not doing so many morally ambiguous things with his powers.

Thanks for your observations!

No problem! I understand this points you've made, :)

Mardehoward wrote a review...

Hello there! It's Marde here!

I notice how this is a fanfic of "The mask". I haven't seen that movie in ages so I don't remember most of it, but I could tell what this was.

Okay, as the person that doesn't quite remember the original movie I can't criticize this as I would have liked to, but I think I can work my magic.

First off, let me say how I really liked your descriptions and details throughout this first chapter. It's really dynamic and I feel as if I was right there at that moment. Very good!

I have some things I'd like to point out, though. For example, in the third paragraph when you say the woman smiles tightly and rolls her eyes when he's not able to see, I get the vibe that she hates him or sick and bored of him or something negative toward him. But when I go through the hole chapter I see that she doesn't hate him but that she's simply somewhat wary about how he's acting out when he uses the mask or worried where all of that can lead to. So I suggest you maybe reconsider that third paragraph there.

On the line where Stanley says "You're worth it" I don't see how you'd have to emphasize on the 'you're'. I think it sounds better off without the emphasis. Then again, when he says "YOU know that's not how it works..." I wouldn't emphasize on that 'you' either.

That's about it, my critiques I mean. I really liked it overall and the ending confuses me a bit, but here I go to chapter two.

Keep up the good work!

~Marde!

I'm glad you liked it!

She rolls her eyes in exasperation. It's not that she thinks ill of him... his gestures and over-acting just make her tired.

As for the emphases, I was trying to illustrate how he speaks. He over-acts, and... "over-speaks"?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Dracula wrote a review...

Yay, you used a picture! People hardly ever use pictures, the bbcode must get sad. :P

Your decsription at the beginning of the chapter was really good, the gases make a dramatic atmosphere, and the way Tina rolled her eyes suggests to me that she thinks her dinner date is a show off.

Tina touched it and with her long, smooth finger drew off a thick trail of dust.
You're missing 'and' between finger and drew.

Wait what's up with this mask? Poor Stanley though, he cooked that meal and must've spent more money than he had on it, and then she just gets up and leaves. Ouch.

Okay, this huge man in a black cape has not come for friendly visit, has he? :D Nice chapter, it was obviously a big event in Tina and Stanley's relationship and you wrote it well.

I'm glad you liked the descripton. Yes, Tina does think her date is a show-off. Very perceptive of you.

Actually, I think my sentence works because of my use of "with". Let me know if you disagree.

Have you seen the Jim Carrey movie "The Mask", from 1994? This story is a fanfic based on that movie. If you watch it, you'll see what sort of person Stanley becomes when he puts on the mask.

I guess Tina wanted to make a point. They need a big change in their relationship in order to move forward.

Can you guess who the man in the black cape is? Next chapter is published now, and you can find out.

ThePhoenix wrote a review...

HELLO THERE!
I'm here to review your work. I'm not the ideal person for this job but hey! It's someone, right?

Let me just first say that I had to search up at least three words that you used. Seriously, I didn't know those words existed. Also, I'm afraid to criticise your use of words as I'm not sure if they're used correctly or not (Like I said, not the ideal person for this job).

And don't even make me talk about how hungry I became when you started talking about food.
But moving on!

Just a little nitpick.

It was a spring evening in Edge City, and strange

Get rid of "and". It's not needed.

Plot
Now, I'm not completely aware of the plot yet but it's only the first chapter so... yeah. But I was getting a magic vibe the instant you mentioned Loki. I also couldn't stop thinking about the Avengers.
But so far, from what I can tell about this chapter, it seems really interesting. I'm not entirely sure of what this has to do with love but I can make a guess. And this mask that was mentioned reminded me of "The Haunted Mask" from the Goosebump series (funny because this is exactly what I said in my last review). Kinda.

Characters
Since we see Stanley after his supposed usage of this mask, I'll never really know what he acted like (unless you put in a flashback somehwere) before but based on what he does now, he doesn't seem like a bad guy. In fact, I'm not entirely sure why Tina left (I have a vague idea but the rest is just jelly to me).
So based off Stanley's actions now, he seems like a fun loving guy. Perhaps a little uninhibited due to the masks effects.

Now Tina... ehm. I'm a little confused about her character but then again, I'm not the best at picking apart a character's personality. So far, I've seen her be annoyed with Stanley's actions but seems to care about him a lot (maybe).

Setting
The setting was brilliant! I knew where they were and an approximate time . Although, I did get a little confused with this part:
strange pink and green gases mingled with clouds

I'm not sure what you mean by pink and green gases. Seriously, my mind's blank.

Also, because I feel like adding this in, I thought they would be having dinner in the evening. Because with the sun just setting below the horizon but not completely, it makes for quite a romantic setting. But that's just what I imagined.

And... that's all I got. I really liked it. I'm sorry if this review was short but I'm not sure what else to say. I think that's it.
Um... I'm really awkward with goodbyes so...

Happy Writing!

Hey, thanks!

Out of curiousity, what were those three words?

I'm not sure I see why "and" is unnecessary... to me, it appears that it IS necessary. Without it, I don't see how the sentence would be grammatically correct.

Well, the source material is the Jim Carrey movie "The Mask" from 1994, and it is revealed in that movie the mask was made by ancient Vikings to be in the likeness of Loki from Norse mythology. Other than that, there is no relation between my fic and The Avengers (I haven't actually sat down and watched those films yet, though I'm of course unavoidably aware of them).

"The Mask" film provides a very vivid show of what Stanley is like with the mask on. I think you can answer all of your questions there. He is an exuberant, sometimes charming, sometimes annoying, often personal-space-invading, kiss-stealing love-maniac. Keep in mind that Jim Carrey played him... and all the over-acting that that entails.... ;)

As for the pink and green gases, that stems from a joke about methane emissions and how polluted Edge City is... again, a reference from the film. In fact, Stanley and Tina's first date (depicted in the film, when they visit a park that's been built on top of a landfill) occurred under a sunset sky marked by such weird gases.

Thanks again for the great review! Stay tuned for more chapters in the next couple of days. I've already written four more chapters :)

ThePhoenix says...

WOAH! You write fast... I didn't even notice.

And the three words were:
Proffered
Downtrodden
and
Julia Child
...
Ok, I know that's technically not a word but it was something I had to search up so...

:) Well, I had already written these chapters back in August (I've got one more waiting for upload to this site).

Julia Child... the famous TV host who taught Americans how to do French cooking at home. Since "The Mask" is from 1994, I wanted to sprinkle in some time-markers, like the fact that they watch VHS tapes, and that Julia Child would have been a well-known cultural reference at the time.

I tell the neophyte: Write a million words–the absolute best you can write, then throw it all away and bravely turn your back on what you have written. At that point, you’re ready to begin.
— David Eddings