z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Prologue

by shaniac


July 18, 1987

Benjamin Marcos is dead.

His body is found in the kitchen by a maid as Fredrick Damon's party continues to roar outside. Her screams go unnoticed over the music and chatter. The mystery of why he died swirls from the body and upwards to the lights like smoke from a cigarette hanging off a lady's lips.

The maid runs out of the kitchen and grabs someone, expressing her concern in panicked words. She disappears into the crowd and keeps crying. The whines and gasps grab the attention of the other people. Several decide to head into the kitchen and upon entering, see Benjamin's dead body face down. There is a stab wound in the shoulder blade of the grey suit he is wearing. A girl screams, grabbing more attention. More and more people start to gain interest in what's happening.

The police are called and start moving people back into the party, reminding them that there is nothing to worry about. The night ends up going by slowly as they take turns looking at the body and questioning some suspects at the party. Sometime during the night, Benjamin's body is placed into a body bag and driven to the coroner's office. The evidence wasn't much to come across as there was only a shot glass on the counter and a knife shard in his shoulder.

Several of the attendees noted when asked, that Benjamin kept to himself and mainly seen around the punch bowl for most of the night. Fredrick didn't really keep close to him as he is more so the talkative type and willing to make friends. While the investigation continues to happen inside, Sheriff Jacob MacAndy decides to take a smoke break. The night is cold and there are no stars in the sky. The only light that shimmers is the lights from inside the house, casting a warm hue onto his back. In front of him is Damon's pool which glows blue and staring at it causes a wave of worry or doubt or something, to wash over the sheriff. He can't name it. The feeling is a bad one but at the same time, it is bringing him joy. Jacob glares at the pool now, taking a large intake of smoke.

The back door behind him opens and a young man says, "Sir, we can't find Fredrick."

Jacob hums, throwing the cigarette into the grass. He turns around and frowns.

"What do you mean by that?"

The young man coughs. He's new at this and shows this through his awkward mannerisms. "We've searched the entire house. He isn't here, sir."

Jacob sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. A headache is forming behind his brain, lodged there like a small grape. He stops pinching his bridge and blinks. Jacob then heads into the house, moving past the young man, who promptly follows after like a lost dog. They go into the kitchen, where the investigation is almost drawing to a close. Examiners are packing their things up and police are standing nearby, talking. There is a thickness to the room and it begins to set onto the sheriff's shoulders. He heads over to of one of the examiners, Leonard Riccins, who is busy placing the last of the evidence on the counter into a small bag. When he is finished, he looked over his shoulder and said, "there isn't a lot more evidence to pick up, Sheriff."

"I'm not here for that. Why can't you find Fredrick?" MacAndy asks, crossing his arms over his chest. The young man behind him gulps, backing away slowly. Riccins sighs, turning around. He doesn't want to deal with this but instead go home, spend the night watching TV, and then go to sleep.

"We've searched the entire house. Ask Ethan. Bathroom, bedroom, everywhere. He's gone."

Jacob grinds his teeth and with a sigh of defeat, turns around. Riccins gathers more evidence and zips the bag.

"I'm beginning to think that maybe Fredrick disappeared so he didn't have to deal with Marcos's death," Riccins suggests. This isn’t an important part of the case but there is a gut feeling, something that stirring in his gut about how odd it is for Fredrick to just disappear. MacAndy sighs and turns around. He feels tired and out of place. He's 42 and his family was expecting him for dinner that evening. There's isn't a lot left to do except wait.

"Wait, what did you say?" Jacob asks, delaying on negative thoughts.

Leonard shrugs. "It's just a theory of mine that maybe Fredrick skipped town to get away from worry that the police might consider him a suspect." He paused and looked at Jacob. "That is just a theory, though. You shouldn't examine the details too far." He then, with the evidence, moves past the sheriff. Most of the people are gone now, leaving MacAndy to himself.

Benjamin Marcos is dead and the only person who possibly knows why goes missing. It is a complicated mess that continues to knot up as the years go by. It angers MacAndy because now he has to deal with the questions of everyone. He knows that it is the way of being sheriff but with someone's death now in his hands, it may just cause more grey hairs to pop up. Though, MacAndy knows something. It doesn't just form from a question or an answer that someone promptly gives. He only keeps it to himself, locked away.

Grumbling, Jacob decides to leave. The car he came in is still in front and it should be as no one would take it. There are questions he wishes he could get the answers to, like why did Fredrick leave town? What is he hiding? It is all too confusing and only adds to his growing headache. His family is sleeping in their beds when Jacob gets home. He spends the rest of his night drinking away his thoughts. The alcohol muddles his mind and washes away the doubts. The out of place feeling returns and the sheriff is left with wallowing over a death of a stranger. He thinks back to what Riccins said, about Fredrick leaving town to get away from the death.

He doesn’t want to know the answers to the eternal question now. The secret fills in the holes as he continued to drink. But after downing the last bit, Jacob decides it is enough. Maybe sleeping will relieve the stress. He yawns, throwing the bottle into a trashcan and slowly walks to his shared bedroom. What happened to Benjamin Marcos might work better as a mystery, anyway, Jacob muses to himself before going to bed. It just makes more sense that way.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
277 Reviews


Points: 1335
Reviews: 277

Donate
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:13 pm
View Likes
Charm wrote a review...



Hey Shaniac! I’m finally here. I’ve been saying that I was going to review this for a long time and now I am finally here. I’m going to try and review a chapter a week. Every Monday (Even though today is Tuesday). That’s my plan. My life is a bit hectic but I really want to review more. I hope my review is helpful. I haven’t reviewed in a long time but I really do try my best. If I say anything you don’t agree with you can always ignore me.

The mystery of why he died swirls from the body and upwards to the lights like smoke from a cigarette hanging off a lady's lips.

I feel like this sentence would be better if you cut off the last bit. The mention of a lady is a bit confusing and I found myself stumbling over it. I think if you were using this as a transition and said “the lady” and then, in a way, panned over to another character it would work, but here it is taking away more from the sentence than adding to it. I think the image you are trying to convey will be stronger this way.

The maid runs out of the kitchen and grabs someone, expressing her concern in panicked words

“Words” doesn’t feel like the right word for this. It a bit strange to say panicked words because the word “words” is so neutral. I think maybe you should change it to “panicked shrieks” or something. I said “words” so many times in so few sentences just now, haha.

She disappears into the crowd and keeps crying.

“Keeps crying” is pretty telling. You could really add more emotional and imagery here by just switching the sentence a little bit. Ex. “She disappears into the crowd, tears streaming down her dimpled cheeks.”

The whines and gasps grab the attention of the other people.

“Other people” is another neutral phrase. You can change this to add description. What kind of people are at this party? What are they dressed like? Ex. “The whines and gasps grab the attention of the aristocratic guests dressed in pinstripe suits and bespangled flapper dresses that dance amid the ballroom.” Not sure if my tense is correct since I normally write in past tense.

Several decide to head into the kitchen and upon entering, see Benjamin's dead body lying face down.

I would add the word “lying.”

Several of the attendees noted when asked, that Benjamin kept to himself and was mainly seen around the punch bowl for most of the night.

I would add the word “was.”

Fredrick didn't really keep close to him as he is more so the talkative type and willing to make friends.

I feel like you need to add something here that explains what is Fredrick’s relationship to Benjamin. Perhaps their college friends, colleagues, or something like that. I know that Fredrick is the host of the party but it felt kind of random to me that you jumped to talking about him. Also I get confused when you called Fredrick multiple names. I understand now that Fredrick Damon is his full name but it confused me when you call him Fredrick and then a few sentences later you called him Damon. Perhaps call him Fredrick Damon the first or second time, or something like that.

In front of him is Damon's pool which glows blue and, staring at it causes a wave of worry or doubt or something, to wash over the sheriff.

I would remove “and.”

He's new at this and shows this through his awkward mannerisms.

Instead of saying awkward mannerisms, show them to us.

Jacob He then heads into the house, moving past the young man, who promptly follows after him like a lost dog.

I removed “Jacob” because you just mentioned this character’s name in the previous sentence. I also added “him.”

He heads over to of one of the examiners, Leonard Riccins, who is busy placing the last of the evidence on the counter into a small bag. When he is finished, he looked over his shoulder and said, "There isn't a lot more evidence to pick up, Sheriff."

The beginning of dialogue is always capitalized.

He doesn't want to deal with this but instead go home, spend the night watching TV, and then go to sleep.

This sentence is weird. "But instead" is odd to me. I would change it somehow.

"I'm beginning to think that maybe Fredrick disappeared so he didn't have to deal with Marcos's death," Riccins suggests.

When a name that has a 's' at the end of it is possessing something you just put the apostrophe. Like this, "Marcos'"

This isn’t an important part of the case but there is a gut feeling, something that stirring in his gut about how odd it is for Fredrick to just disappear.

Weird sentence and repetition.

He's 42 and his family was expecting him for dinner that evening.

It's proper English to spell out forty-two. It's not necessary for creative fiction but it's proper.

There's isn't a lot left to do except wait.

Either "There's not" or "There isn't."

"That is just a theory, though. You shouldn't examine the details too far."

Who says this?

Benjamin Marcos is dead and the only person who possibly knows why goes missing.

"Is" missing.

He knows that it is the way of being sheriff but with someone's death now in his hands, it may just cause more grey hairs to pop up.

Either "It may cause" or "It just causes"

Though, MacAndy knows something. It doesn't just form from a question or an answer that someone promptly gives. He only keeps it to himself, locked away.

This doesn't make sense. The first sentence adds mystery. The second sentence makes it feel like you are about to tell us what he knows and then in the third sentence you don't. It just felt very odd to me. It's worded weirdly.

He doesn’t want to know the answers to the eternal question now.

Wouldn't it be "that eternal question?"

The secret fills in the holes as he continued to drink.

What secret? Are you talking about the something that the sheriff knows? I think you're trying to add suspense and mystery here but it's just confusing. This doesn't really make sense.

What happened to Benjamin Marcos might work better as a mystery, anyway, Jacob muses to himself before going to bed. It just makes more sense that way.

There would be a paragraph break before this. Everytime a new character speak, there is a paragraph break. If you are describing the character who spoke after your dialogue tag, you keep it all in one paragraph, but if you are describing another character you would break the paragraph. If the same character goes from speaking dialogue to thinking, there is a paragraph break between his words and thoughts. It's pretty confusing, but following these rules helps the reader know who's talking. This way you don't always need to use dialogue tags, because the reader can figure out who is talking on their own.

I personally really like this story. I love a good mystery but I felt that this was a little too tell-y. I like more tell than most people but even this was a bit too much for me. I think the reason why you fell into just telling the story and less of showing was because of the tense you chose to write in. I’m not going to suggest that you change your tense. I find this tense interesting and I don’t read many books in present tense. All I ask is that you look at your sentence structure and try to fit in more description. What was the party like? What kind of people are there? I added some more description to some of your sentences to act as an example.

I really like this story and where it is heading. I would suggest though that you refrain from writing like “this happened and then this happened and then they were shocked and then this happened.” In the beginning you did a better job of balancing show and tell, but things got a little more tell-y as I read deeper into the prologue.

Now that’s all I got to say. I’m excited to read more and hopefully I’ll catch up soon.

dwyn




User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 34

Donate
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:31 am
View Likes
FantasyWriter76 wrote a review...



Hello, shaniac! I'm FantasyWriter76 (Fantasy76/FW76), and I'll be reviewing this story. To simplify things, I will address the story as a whole as [Untitled], then the chapter. Well, here's how my reviews work, in the form of a table of contents!

IT'S DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE, TAKE THIS!
YOU GOT [A TABLE OF CONTENTS] TO HELP YOU ON YOUR JOURNEY!
1: Reactions and Personal Preference (and such)
2: The Positives
3: The Negatives
4: {THE NITPICK ZONE}: A collection of little issues that aren't too important
Now on to the review!

Part 1: Reactions and Personal Preference (and such)

Benjamin Marcos is dead.

B'okay (my version of "Umm... okay"). What a way to start a story!

I don't want the quote this part here, because it's the whole story, I just want to say that is was cool that you made it seem very realistic like it could've been a real event somewhere. Props to you for enjoyable, "real" characters.

When he is finished, he looked over his shoulder and said, "there isn't a lot more evidence to pick up, Sheriff."

*There

Segwaying into...

Part 2: The Positives
Again, great opening line! Really packs a punch and is a great hook for people skimming through. It's like BAM! Read to find out what happened, you know?
Once again, the characters here are very realistic for who there are. This really adds to the ambience of the story. MacAndy definitely sounds like a 42-year-old man, and the party scene feels like a real thing that would happen like I said earlier. One comparison I'd like to make is MacAndy to MacReady (1982's "The Thing"), I mean, you could see it.

Now, I did have some problems but mind you, they were small issues...

Part 3: The Negatives (Remember: ART IS SUBJECTIVE!)
I will be addressing the following:
-No Character Descriptions
There aren't many issues that aren't nitpicks, so here's the main one...

None of the characters have descriptions of what they look like. Some have minor details like clothes and a cigarette at the beginning. It would be much better to add character descriptions but remember this, I haven't read the other chapters, the issues could be void.

Now...

{THE NITPICK ZONE}: A collection of little issues that aren't too important
All I have to say is a minor capitalization issue, otherwise great story!

Welp, that's my review! I'll be giving you an Arbitrary Rating of *4.5 dead bodies out of 5* (4.5/5). I hope you have a FANTASTICAL DAY!
-FW76




User avatar
275 Reviews


Points: 15319
Reviews: 275

Donate
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:40 pm
View Likes
elysian wrote a review...



hi! I'm super late on this but I've been wanting to read this and I'm finally here! I am trying to get caught up with all the LMS novels I planned on following which is like 12 of them and I'm doing all the chapter 1s, and then all the 2s, then all 3s, etc. So my responses will be spaced but I will be back! With that being said, let's get right in <3

**disclaimer: I will most likely focus on negative aspects more so than positive aspects when reviewing, and this is just to help you grow as a writer! It is totally okay not to agree with something I say! Also, If I repeat anything already said, it's probably because it needs to be changed!**

Benjamin Marcos is dead.


I always like to single out the first line in a first chapter and I love this one. Simple, but effective. It alludes to the title and what the whole novel will be and leaves me wondering how he died. so good job on that :-)

okay, so my first impression of this is that it's all tell and no show. I'm confused who's telling this story? I would much rather hear the thoughts and feelings of finding the body rather than you just telling me that they found the body and it looked like this and it was here. you know what I mean?

This is coming off to me more as a script than a novel. I feel like the beginning is director notes on how the scene is set, instead of actual novel-like descriptions of feelings and events. Novels are usually more drawn out and descriptive, and this descriptive writing is very "shallow" and just the surface of things. I want you to go into more detail and draw it out a bit more as the whole scene sets itself up very fast and it's almost uninteresting to me because you don't give me any way to feel an emotional connection to it.

Jacob sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. A headache is forming behind his brain, lodged there like a small grape. He stops pinching his bridge and blinks


this is the right direction! readers want more of this kind of stuff!

be careful about tenses, you continually switch from present and past tense.

okay so my final thoughts are that this is a very choppy, shallow look into what's happening and it's very fast paced and not very detailed, which makes me not care about the story. I need to connect to the characters, and I'm not.

My computer is about to die but I hoped that helped <3

- del




User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 5566
Reviews: 33

Donate
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:07 am
View Likes
Oxara wrote a review...



Before anything, I'm sure a lot of better writers's may say your review is wrong or partly wrong, or that you read this in a weird way or something. But hey I'm trying and these are my thoughts. And weather my thoughts are wrong, I think they are still usable to the author as these are one of their reader thoughts, weather it being right or wrong. And to the author of this piece, Shaniac, sorry for my poor reviewing still learning how to review, But it's my best attempt. However feel free to ignore it.

Alright, here for a quick review. Not in depth as I could go I'm sure I could do a little more but hey I have a lot of stuff.

So a few general things (some are notes of my nit-picks to put things in perspective)

One- Your main problem to me is your clunky sentences. They are by far your weakest part of the writer and drag's the reader away while they try to figure out what you mean at points. It also is unclear what you mean sometimes because of these clunky sentences.

Two- Character building is a minor problem for you. Now most of this review has a lot of opinions about some things, so you can ignore a good 50% of this review. But even if you disagree I think it is worth looking at what a reader might think, if they share my opinions. In essence you character building it can sometimes be confusing. And the REASON be hide your characterization is unclear. You don't always need to explain it, but in this case your character role of sheriff dose not explain his character rule. Also I think your best characterization is the new cop, and he doesn't have a name. So if he isn't important to the plot or isn't a important character just remove him and change him with a normal cop. But since you put the work into making him in there, use him. Put him in scenes and stuff, I say at least. (again you can ignore all of this as they are based on my opinions.)

A minor things

-Fredrick didn't really keep close to him as he is more so the talkative type and willing to make friends. "he is more so the talkative..." this "so the" is clunky. Why not just say "he is more talkative." moreover the and willing to make friends is implied by the fact he likes to talk a lot.

-" While the investigation continues to happen inside, Sheriff Jacob MacAndy decides to take a smoke break." Do you really need to add the "while the investigation continues to happen inside?" I mean if you just said Sheriff Jacob MacAndy decides to take a smoke break implies that it is during the investigation as it is during break right?

-"The night is cold and there are no stars in the sky" Now this may just be me and me liking my imagery and all that, but it feels not clunky but almost, forced, I want to say. I don't know the exact word I'm looking for, but could you not just say something like "the night breeze sent a cold shiver..." or something like that and the "there are no stars in the sky" I don't know I feel like there is a better way to phrase this. Perhaps something like "And clouds blocked all but a few stars" or something. Plus it makes it more realistic there is (nearly) never where stars are 100% blocked off by clouds on nights.

-"and staring at it causes a wave of worry or doubt or something, to wash over the sheriff." First of all, don't say something in this situation. It feels awkward and just amateurish. It doesn't describe the character, sure it kinda shows it a little different form doubt, but it just confuses the reader. Or it did to me. Just say doubt, or come up with a real word as I have no idea what feeling your trying to go for here. (P.S. This sort of description only really works in dialogue for me as a character may not know the word. However this is a narrator it so it makes no sense for you to put something here. Even in dialogue I would be careful in it's use. Just a heads up) Now I know it's kinda of a first person, But it just doesn't feel like it fits and I would just say it causes him doubt or worry. IT makes it clearer and it sticks to a clear point of view.

-" The only light that shimmers is the lights from inside the house, casting a warm hue onto his back. In front of him is Damon's pool which glows blue and staring at it causes a wave of worry or doubt or something, to wash over the sheriff." Yes I know I already did this line but I wanted to separate ideas. Now this description is ok, but it could be heavily improved on. It is not easy to follow or imagine what you mean at first. You could say something like "the slight light of the house caused a mirror like reflect in the pool. The sight of himself and the ripples in that pool caused doubt." Sure it's not perfect but It's still easier to follow and see.

-"The feeling is a bad one but at the same time, it is bringing him joy." I am sorry what? are you saying that this doubt is worry is bringing him joy and that's bad? I'm not sure what you mean. I would offer a basic sentence to start to reform this, but I can't as I not sure what your getting at. Just correct this sentence to whatever you are trying to get at.

"Jacob hums, throwing the cigarette into the grass. He turns around and frowns."- Wait wait, something serious news just come to him and he hums? why not just and says something like "wide eyed he turned around, throwing the cigarette on the way around, and glanced a death glance at the person in front of him." Sure it is very intense and you can always bring down the intensity if you don't like it that intense. But still it feels more natural in phrasing and makes more sense instead of humming, often associated with joyful and then frowning often associated with sadness or seriousness.

-"He's new at this and shows this through his awkward mannerisms"- This is a perfect case of not using the general rule of "Show don't tell" Show us he's new and awkward through his dialogue. The most confusing part to me is you appeared to do this by saying "He coughed" I mean go with that say something like "He coughed" and slowly said "Well, um," remembering to appear formal he fixed his posture, "There is no sign of him in the house, after a full scan of it." Or something along the lines of it (you could do some twisting and turning to this, it just one way to go and there are improvements you can do to this if you want to go with it.

-"A headache is forming behind his brain"- Do I need to go in depth for this, "A headache started to form" would just be a better version of this sentence. Or you could just say "His head started to throbs" well that's first person, but I can't be bother to think of a perfect way to fix it so sorry.

-"They go into the kitchen, where the investigation is almost drawing to a close. Examiners are packing their things up and police are standing nearby, talking. There is a thickness to the room and it begins to set onto the sheriff's shoulders." these are pretty good. Nicely done. However, just move "There is a thickness to the room..." to before "they go into the kitchen." Sure you will have to rephrase it a bit like "the heaviness of the kitchen hit the sheriff like a punch, he gut started to recoil in response." Or again if that is not what you want something like "As we enter the kitchen, the heaviness of the room settled on my shoulder like a weight." and you can change the first part of the sentence to something like "Inside, the examiners(too lazy to research) were packing up and a few of the cops were beginning to leave for the station."

-""there isn't a lot more evidence to pick up, Sheriff." Un-needed and repetitive as it is told in the last sentence.

-"The young man behind him gulps, backing away slowly"- It would flow easier if you just said "he slowly backed away, and audibly swallowed at the glance the sheriff gave him."

-"crossing his arms over his chest" This was nice, straight to point and I could see it.

-"Riccins sighs, turning around. He doesn't want to deal with this but instead go home, spend the night watching TV, and then go to sleep." Firstly just say he sighed, no need for the turn around part. Also no need for his desire to go home, it doesn't really add anything to the story or his character. I mean very slight to his character, but I might even say it's kinda counter-intuitive. With him being a good cop as the young chop is intimidated by him, showing that he is likely in charge. So his desire to go home, while realistic the fact you added it makes it seem's like he wound't have the desire to get the skill to become the sheriff .

"This isn’t an important part of the case but there is a gut feeling, something that stirring in his gut about how odd it is for Fredrick to just disappear." really a gut feeling and then something stirring in his gut. TOO MUCH GUT. Just something like "while it wasn't important, I had a gut feeling it was too odd to be of nothing of note.

-"That is just a theory, though. You shouldn't examine the details too far." He then, with the evidence, moves past the sheriff. Most of the people are gone now, leaving MacAndy to himself." Un-needed as it is said before.

-"knot up as the years go by" wait what? was the death not just night? When did it become years?

-"It angers MacAndy because now he has to deal with the questions of everyone"- Ok I get it, you have devolved a question. Now I have a question, why and how did this person get to be a sheriff, or why is he last left if he doesn't seem to care that much? Why did he even get into being a cop if it angered him to have to deal with what cops do? I don't know it's not necessary bad to have a character like this. But it is not explained, so explain it at the least. And even then the story seems to focus on the world and the murder, not really too much on the characters, so even if you explain it, what would it add to the story? I mean it could be really interesting, but I might take this character to a story where his character can be focused on and really interesting. (don't get me wrong he dose need characterization, but maybe not a slacking but important cop?) Know you say he is old, so maybe it explains maybe he use to have a passion for it, but it never explains if he did. So I am just left confused by this character. But for as much as I put this problem almost in the spot light, it really is pretty minor of a problem. I feel like it could even add to the story without any changes depending on who you are. So really take this character building complaints with a grain of salt.

-"Though, MacAndy knows something. It doesn't just form from a question or an answer that someone promptly gives. He only keeps it to himself, locked away." this is my personal belief, but the best mystery is one's where YOU, as the reader can solve the problem and gain a large amount of satisfaction for figuring it out. Or surprise that the show mislead you, but it still was possible that you could have guessed it. Or at the very least that you know everything the character do so I'm not a fan of this line. But that's me.

"The car he came in is still in front and it should be as no one would take it" You do not need this line.

"like why did Fredrick leave town? What is he hiding?"- Wait I thought he really didn't care about this job and just wanted to go home and not think about this. What character are you presenting?

" The alcohol muddles his mind and washes away the doubts"- not needed as it said's that in the last line."

-"The out of place feeling returns and the sheriff is left with wallowing over a death of a stranger." wait where did you say he felt out of place before this? and wait didn't you just say he washed away these thoughts? I'm confused is he thinking about this after drinking or before. Or was he drinking away another problems that I missed?

-"his shared bedroom" His the sheriff, but he can't buy his own room or house? really?




shaniac says...


Thank you for your review! You pointed out some things that I definitely need to consider when I'm rewriting this chapter, so thank you again!



User avatar
425 Reviews


Points: 50
Reviews: 425

Donate
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:44 pm
View Likes
Vervain wrote a review...



Hey shan! You've already got a lot of reviews on this part so I'm probably going to keep this short and sweet. I think for your novel I'm going to try and focus on a handful of things: the impact your writing has on the reader, and the efficiency of telling your story. Both of these boil down to style, but a lot of other things (like characters and plot) help!

So throughout this whole thing you've got sentences like this:

He's new at this and shows this through his awkward mannerisms.
This is what I'll call "holding the reader's hand". You're telling us that the young man is awkward because he's new at this, but you haven't actually shown him being super awkward, so it comes across as you leading us through this like we can't understand. It gets in the way of telling your story when you're constantly addressing the reader.

A tip for that: Assume your reader can make conclusions based on data given. Show us the young man being awkward ("He coughs and looks away from MacAndy, shifting his weight like he was full of nervous energy" or smth) and, if necessary, drop a line in thought or dialogue from the viewpoint character ("MacAndy never liked training the new guys").

In addition to that, a lot of your description isn't as vivid as it could be. I think -- in this chapter -- you're trying too hard to establish MacAndy's voice and internal monologue when you should probably be focusing more on the chaos following a surprising murder.

Things to think on:

Who was Benjamin Marcos? What's the victim's profile? What might the police notice about that (racial motives? was he an aggressive person? maybe even that he looked similar to Frederick/if the two knew each other particularly well)?

Pick out one or two party-goers to question in specific, instead of just telling the reader what "several attendees" said. Show us Mary biting her nails, Greg sitting on the couch with a warm bottle of beer in his hand, show us people in shock and disbelief and with emotion. Without emotion, this whole prologue comes across as a kind of list of things that happened.

Another thing to try and introduce is stakes. Stakes are pretty amorphous, but I'll try my best to explain. You want there to be some risk for your main character to face. If they fail, they face consequences -- so the stakes are tied to those consequences. Maybe there's been a string of murders lately and MacAndy's job is on the line. Maybe there's been a string of murders and MacAndy's wife is threatening to leave with their kids if he doesn't stop investigating homicides. Give us some reason to care about MacAndy and what he does -- and give MacAndy a reason to care about Benjamin's death.

Because he doesn't care, the reader doesn't care, and we're much less likely to read on.

Keep writing!




shaniac says...


Thank you so much for your review! I'll keep those in mind when I get around to rewriting this chapter.



User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 14090
Reviews: 351

Donate
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:44 am
View Likes
mellifera wrote a review...



Heya, Shan! Yay, I'm here finally! how surprised are you that I've arrived because I DEFINITELY didn't tell you I was coming over here uhuh what are you talking about ?

<3

see Benjamin's dead body face down.


I don't think you need to say 'dead body'? I'm pretty sure 'body' works just as well, but honestly that's such a small nitpick feel free to ignore it.

There is a stab wound in the shoulder blade of the grey suit he is wearing.


I would change 'There is' and 'he is' to 'There's' and 'he's' just to make it flow smoother. Also this might just be me personally, but instead of describing the shoulder blade of his suit (because it sounds like the suit has shoulders and got stabbed lol), maybe something more like...'There's a stab wound in his shoulder, staining the sharp grey suit he's wearing'?? I don't know, you could play around with it if you wanted. Suggestions, man.

reminding them that there is nothing to worry about.


is that so? hm.

(as a side note, you said "reminding" which makes it sound like it was already stated, but it wasn't, so maybe uhh, just watch out for words like that?)

that Benjamin kept to himself and mainly seen around the punch bowl


was mainly seen*

The only light that shimmers is the lights from inside the house, casting a warm hue onto his back.


I love this description! but uh, are there no streetlights on or anything?
(also you said that's the only light but then you describe the pool as glowing which makes me think those lights are on too so ??)

The feeling is a bad one but at the same time, it is bringing him joy.


I'm not really sure what this is supposed to come across as? I don't really know what you mean ahh sorry.

taking a large intake of smoke.


'taking' and 'intake' kinda jar against each other since it sounds repetitive because they're so similar? (and does he breath the smoke back out? Because I'm definitely not a smoking expert but I'm pretty sure you suck it in and then let it out but also don't quote me on that)

Jacob hums, throwing the cigarette into the grass.


fiRE HAZaRD YOUNG-NOT-REALLY MAN

A headache is forming behind is brain,


I...this sentence is really weird to me for some reason?

where the investigation is almost drawing to a close.


Isn't one of your suspects missing though??

"I'm beginning to think that maybe Fredrick disappeared so he didn't have to deal with Marcos's death,"


lol you don't say.

MacAndy sighs and turns around.


I seems like you start calling him MacAndy and Jacob after this and honestly I'm...not sure why? I don't think it really does you any favours, so I'd stick with being consistent in your names.

The car he came in is still in front and it should be as no one would take it.


This is random? I don't think you need this line because it doesn't really add anything, but uh, that's up to you.


-How do they know for sure that Fredrick has left town? Everybody just seems to automatically assume 'oh he's gone? must be outta town now' and it just seems presumptuous.

-So I think my main complaint is that there's a lot of telling? I'm pretty sure you've heard the whole 'showing vs. telling mantra' but there was a lot here where it's like 'he has a bad feeling' or 'he's angry', etc etc. I mean, yes, it's a prologue, and it doesn't have to be nearly so...focused, I guess? on all the details, but I still think it wouldn't hurt to add in some more descriptions. Make it a little more personal, I suppose. Maybe somebody remembers Benjamin, I don't know what kind of personality he had, but I think including more then 'he's a dead body' would get a better connection to the story (and, in my opinion, why Ronnie looks into him later, even if you explain it later, I don't think it will hurt to put it here too).


That's all I've got for you today! I'm hard pressed to ever find mysteries that I like, so I'm definitely no expert in what goes on in them, but I'm definitely intrigued by all you have set up so far! I just don't know how helpful I will be in that aspect of it. You know I already asked you to tag me, so obviously I'll be following along to see where you go with this ;) I'm excited to see more! <3

I hope you're having a great night even though I'm talking to you in the wfp anyway lol :D




User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:56 pm
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello hello!! I was really looking forward to this for LMS because it's one of the only contemporary stories and that's my jam 8) And who doesn't love a good murder mystery?

Already this is giving me One of us is lying (Karen McManus) vibes. Not sure if you've read it, but if you haven't I recommend it. It's about five people stuck in detention, one of them dies, and then it's a mystery to figure out who did it.

Prologues can be a hit or miss, I'm sure that's not news to you. I think this could work because you're showing us the day of the murder and from what I've read in your comments (that I skimmed), the next chapter will be a different year. I think if you're going to go that route, I'd put the years at the beginning of the prologue and then the first chapter so the readers are clear that we're at different times here.

The present tense really worked for me. I tend to prefer present tense in contemporary stories because I like feeling like I'm experiencing everything with the MC. I think it really works in this prologue too because we feel like we're in this intense moment, experiencing it with the characters. I kind of liked the tone here too that it's sort of detached and that you didn't describe every little detail. It almost felt like a newspaper article reporting on what happened that day, and it was kind of a cool effect for an opening because now I'm definitely intrigued.

I was a little confused about the Frederick connection. I get that it's his party, but why is it assumed that he knows something? Is the thought that Frederick is scared because it was his party so he ran? The cops just let him do that? They're not looking for him? I'd like to know more about that.

I also thought you could slow down a little bit once the police show up and the investigation happens. Once you finish this draft and you know more little details, I think this would be a great place to go back and plant some Easter eggs in the crime scene that will come into focus for readers later. I want a lot more description of the crime scene and how the investigation goes and what conclusions the investigator's draw about the scene and what they think happened.

Overall though I think you have an intriguing opening here and I'm super excited to see how you're going to develop this story! I love me a classic "who done it". Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything you'd like feedback about that I didn't mention! :D




shaniac says...


Thank you very much for the review! Why Fredrick plays a connection will be explained in later chapters as well as why he disappeared that night and why the police didn't go after him.



User avatar
154 Reviews


Points: 10017
Reviews: 154

Donate
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:36 pm
View Likes
Zoom wrote a review...



Hey

Fair warning: I don’t beat around the bush. I’m here to give you the honest, unfiltered
perspective of a reader.

Benjamin Marcos is dead.


I think you should take note that it is very typical for mystery/suspense novels to begin with a dead body. That in itself isn’t necessarily bad. I get that’s where the story obviously begins. It just means you have a harder job cut out for you, because you need to take an opening that has seen its fair share of use and offer it to your readers in a way that they likely haven’t experienced. It needs to be compelling in its own right. It isn’t enough to use this hook tactic where you “ask a question the reader will want to know the answer to”.
His body is found in the kitchen by a maid as Fredrick Damon's party continues to roar outside.


This is underwhelming. By starting post-discovery, you’ve robbed yourself of the chance to build tension and set the scene. The moment the maid stumbled upon the body would have been far more compelling to read. I get that you wanted to start off with a punchy opening, but as I said, you’ve sacrificed the chance to offer tension, perspective, context. This reads more like exposition rather than an inciting incident, probably because you’ve started the story at an awkward point and now you have to balance backtracking with pushing the story on.

The mystery of why he died swirls from the body and upwards to the lights like smoke from a cigarette hanging off a lady's lips.


I’m unsure what you are trying to accomplish with this. Similes should be used if you want to modify the definition of your subject, or if your subject doesn’t have an inherent definition and you want to give it one via comparison to something that does.

A “mystery” has an inherent definition so you do not need to buttress it with a simile. So rather than the mystery turning into smoke and travelling upwards where it can’t do anything useful for the story, show us what impact the mystery had on the maid. Use a simile to show us how the body sent the maid into a panic.

The maid runs out of the kitchen and grabs someone, expressing her concern in panicked words. She disappears into the crowd and keeps crying. The whines and gasps grab the attention of the other people. Several decide to head into the kitchen and upon entering, see Benjamin's dead body face down. There is a stab wound in the shoulder blade of the grey suit he is wearing. A girl screams, grabbing more attention. More and more people start to gain interest in what's happening.


You’ve missed a great opportunity here. Your scene is immediately transitioning from one extreme atmosphere to another, from an exciting party to a terrible murder scene. The transition between the two should do a lot more to captivate. The screams and attention etc will be expected by your readers. What wont they be expecting? What insight have you added here that your readers couldn’t have already assumed on their own?

The police are called and start moving people back into the party, reminding them that there is nothing to worry about.


I’m not sure how moving guests back toward the crime scene and simply advising that there is nothing to worry about will do much to calm them down or help the investigation.

The night ends up going by slowly


From whose perspective? The maid is now disconnected from the story so I am not sure whose experience this is.

as they take turns looking at the body and questioning some suspects


Unless there is a lot of context that I am missing, surely everyone/no one is a suspect 10 minutes after the murder took place?

The night is cold and there are no stars in the sky.


The night is cold and starless.

In front of him is Damon's pool which glows blue and staring at it causes a wave of worry or doubt or something, to wash over the sheriff. He can't name it. The feeling is a bad one but at the same time, it is bringing him joy.


Again I am unsure what you are trying to get across here. You threw in emotions like worry and doubt and then concluded with joy. I am left with less understanding from what I started with.

He's new at this and shows this through his awkward mannerisms.


Which are?

Jacob sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose. A headache is forming behind his brain, lodged there like a small grape.


This is a good use of a simile.

There is a thickness to the room and it begins to set onto the sheriff's shoulders.


No idea what this means.

When he is finished, he looked over his shoulder and said, "there isn't a lot more evidence to pick up, Sheriff."


No need for the previous mention of lack of evidence if you are also going to mention it here.

"I'm not here for that. Why can't you find Fredrick?" MacAndy asks, crossing his arms over his chest.


This body language is a tad exaggerated. He comes across more as a huffy teenager than a figure of authority.

Riccins gathers more evidence and zips the bag.


It’s really irksome not knowing what the evidence is! This is so important for a mystery story. Previously you mentioned a shot glass and a blade, but clearly there is now more evidence for your readers to be aware of?

"I'm beginning to think that maybe Fredrick disappeared so he didn't have to deal with Marcos's death," Riccins suggests. This isn’t an important part of the case but there is a gut feeling, something that stirring in his gut about how odd it is for Fredrick to just disappear. MacAndy sighs and turns around. He feels tired and out of place. He's 42 and his family was expecting him for dinner that evening. There's isn't a lot left to do except wait.


Sorry, but no. Their ineptitude is astonishing. The host of a party disappears immediately
after a murder takes place? Pretty sure that automatically makes him the prime suspect. Therefore, I refuse to believe the action taken by the police is to assign a lame justification for Fredrick’s disappearance and then to just “wait”. Issue an APB on him immediately!

Leonard shrugs. "It's just a theory of mine that maybe Fredrick skipped town to get away from worry that the police might consider him a suspect."


No, that’s what made him a suspect.

Benjamin Marcos is dead and the only person who possibly knows why goes missing. It is a complicated mess that continues to knot up as the years go by.


What? Why are years going by?

The car he came in is still in front and it should be as no one would take it.


This was entirely unnecessary to say.

***
Overall comments:

To me, the most glaring issue is that you hop from one character to the next before we get the chance to learn anything meaningful. I have no lasting impression about what motivates any of these characters, how they experience the world around them, what sets them apart from everyone else, what each character independently brings to the story.

You need to research how the police deal with incidents like this. Your lack of research was really obvious and it made your characters seem unrealistic/dim-witted because of it.

I also feel it is essential for you to mention where this story is set, because this will automatically distinguish this particular police force, what their uniforms look like, their level of investigation skills, their accents etc. The police force of a large city is leaps and bounds away from the police force of a small town, so just mentioning the location will do a lot for you without any effort.

The biggest issue I would have reading this story is the lack of detail. What fun is reading this genre without the gore and the grit? I don’t think there was even a single mention of blood.

Also, it’s essential for a mystery story to allow the reader to feel like they are part of the investigation, like they can also solve the mystery alongside the protagonist. The absence of evidence, clues and character speculations completely removes the possibility of this happening.

If you decide to work on this piece and resolve these issues, let me know so I can re-read.

-Zoom




shaniac says...


Thank you so much for your review! Harsh reviews, in my opinion, are actually really helpful. I will work on those things you pointed out (I'm kind of a new writer and finding my groove with all of this). I do think I should mention what time period this takes place and do more showing instead of telling. Also, I don't want to show much gore because I'm not a fan of it nor do I want to go into the specifics of it. Thank you again!



User avatar
304 Reviews


Points: 22897
Reviews: 304

Donate
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:53 pm
View Likes
barefootrunner wrote a review...



Hey shaniac!

barefoot here with a friendly review. Let me start by saying that I enjoyed reading this and liked the atmosphere you created with the tone and style of your writing. It feels dark and almost dissociated from the reality of the situation.

I like this as a prologue. Usually I don't like prologues as they spoil the plot of the story, but this one works and it keeps the mystery alive. Or, well, dead, I suppose! If there is a significant time/space/person jump between this prologue and what proceeds to happen in chapter 1, this will be ideal. Looking good!

So, as Biscuits said, the tense jumps are a bit of an issue. I'm sure you'll figure it out when you decide what tense you want make it. I quite like the statement

Benjamin Marcos is dead.

in the present tense. I don't think it'll have the same punch in past tense! But it's up to you of course :)

Benjamin Marcos is dead and the only person who possibly knows why goes missing. It is a complicated mess that continues to knot up as the years go by.

I just got confused here. Is it now years in the future and it's a cold case? Or was this just a mention of the potential outcome? I'm not sure. If you did just skip time, can you make an extra mention that cements that fact in the reader's mind?

Also, I'm unsure of the setting. Is this present-time or 1900s? This phrase:
The mystery of why he died swirls from the body and upwards to the lights like smoke from a cigarette hanging off a lady's lips.

gives off a slightly old-school feel but I'm never sure. There's never something that I can grab onto as a reader that tells me when this is.

This brings me to another point... if I can't see when the story is, it points towards a bit too much tell and a bit too little show if you ask me. Maybe that needs a bit of tuning up.

Anyways, it's a good piece of writing and most of my critiques are just fine-tuning. I hope you continue with it!

Keep writing!
barefoot




shaniac says...


Thank you for your review! This bit is happening in 1997 and then the next chapter will be flashing forward to 2024. I thiiink I'm going to a bit where I alternate between years to show the progress in the case, but that is just up in the air stuff. Again, thank you for the review! :D



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:38 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Heyyy, *continues to have hyper review-energy*

Nit-picks and nice moments:

His body was found in the kitchen by a maid as Fredrick Damon's party continues to roar outside.

Tense switch.

There was a stab wound in the shoulder blade of the grey suit he was wearing.

Tense switch #2 .

The police are called and start moving people back into the party, remaining them that there is nothing to worry about.

Don't mind me, just here to remind you about a typo here :P

Several of the attendees noted when asked, that Benjamin kept to himself and mainly was seen around the punch bowl for most of the night. Fredrick didn't really keep close to him as he was more so the talkative type and willing to make friends.

Tense switch #3 ? I suppose you could look back for a moment here, but since there have been a couple already I thought it was worth highlighting.

In front of him is Damon's pool which glows blue and staring at it causes a wave of worry or doubt or something, to wash over the sheriff.

I really liked this line. I started out worried about rambling sentence structure then realised that was very much on purpose because of the sheriff's mood.

He's new at this and shows this through his awkward mannerisms.

This is like meta-telling. Not just telling instead of showing, telling about showing, which is not something I've ever seen before.

Examiners were packing their things up and police were standing nearby, talking. There was a thickness to the room and it begins to set onto the sheriff's shoulders.

Tense switch #4 .1

When he was finished, he looked over his shoulder and said

Tense switch #4 .2

"I'm not here for that. Why can't you find Fredrick?" MacAndy asked, crossing his arms over his chest. The young man behind him gulped, backing away slowly.

Tense switch #5

This wasn't an important part of the case but there was a gut feeling, something that stirred into his gut about how odd it was for Fredrick to just disappear.

#6

"Wait, what did you say?" Jacob asked, delaying on negative thoughts.

#7

He paused and looked at Jacob. "That is just a theory, though. You shouldn't examine the details too far." He then, with the evidence, moved past the sheriff. Most of the people were gone now, leaving MacAndy to himself.

#8

but with someone's death now his hands, it may just cause more grey hairs to pop up

#9

Overall:

Welp, I bet you can guess what my main thing is going to be :P Just make sure you look over chapters carefully when you're not used to writing in a tense and try and catch as many of those switches as you can.

The other main criticism I have is that you jump about from police officer to police officer a lot, without really having that much of a way to distinguish between each of them. It'd probably be fine to have this many police officers involved in the story, but what is confusing is keeping straight whose inner thoughts are whose, especially since they seem to be thinking them with very similar dejected mindsets.

What I did like was the quiet, somewhat haunting tone here. A guy is dead, and everyone is moving sadly and slowly. It does well to build up tension and mystery, and suits a prologue very well.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)




shaniac says...


Thank you for pointing out those tense switches and the review! I'm still trying to figure out what tense I'm writing this entire thing in, haha.



ExOmelas says...


Haha, fair xD




"Please put me in the quote generator whenever you like."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi