The Legendary Five Spirits Prologue

by sarahnsnow

"Look at her," Jedediah spoke. His breath caught in his throat and his mouth curved into a smile as he gazed down at his little girl. She lay cradled in his wife's arms. The newborn's pale face was scrunched as she waved her tiny arms about. Her eyes were closed. His hand cupped the back of her head and he gently rubbed his hand against it. He couldn't stop smiling.

"She's beautiful."

His eyes moved to his wife where he caught her gaze. Although her brown eyes were exhausted, they were joyful. He leaned forward from where he knelt beside her bed and pressed his lips to her sweaty forehead. She nuzzled her forehead into his neck and they both gazed at their baby girl.

"Ysabel."

The name sunk in and he repeated it over and over again in his mind. Ysabel was the name of his wife's grandmother. It was a beautiful name. It was perfect for their baby girl.

"It's perfect," he replied rubbing his cheek against the top of his wife's head feeling the strands of her hair rub against his jaw. His hand slowly curled over Ysabel's hand. He stuck his forefinger inside her little palm and felt her miniature fingers tighten over it. He bounced his finger up and down smiling with delight.

"I love you Ysenda. And I love our little Ysabel." There was emotion in his voice as he spoke.

"I love you too Jed," Ysenda replied.

***

Two days passed since Ysabel was born and Jedediah hadn't been any more happy than he had ever been in his life. Other than meeting Ysenda and marrying her of course. Besides waking up every two hours at night and taking care of Ysabel, they were both joyful now that they had their own small family. Jedediah couldn't leave Ysabel alone. When he came in from chopping wood or retrieving water from the creek near their home in the woods, he couldn't help but stop and admire their baby. Ysabel had big eyes not yet colored but he suspected they'd be like her mother's. Her cheeks were rosy pink.

Ysenda cooked and cleaned around the cabin while Ysabel laid in a small cradle, he had built in time she was born. Jedediah picked her up and held her face close to his. He rubbed his nose against her small, soft nose and chuckled. Her eyes aimlessly roamed his face and she lifted her fist to her mouth.

"Have you hunted yet, Jed?" He heard Ysenda ask from the kitchen. He quickly kissed Ysabel's irresistible soft cheek and laid her back down in the cradle. He stepped into the kitchen to see his wife kneading a large lump of dough. Her back was turned to him.

He walked up and snaked his arm across her waist. She gasped as he turned her to face him and pulled her to his chest. Her eyes were wide as she looked up at him startled. He smirked in amusement.

"Jed, my hands are all covered with flour," she told him holding them up between them. He barely glanced at them.

"No cakey hands can scare me away," he said. She laughed.

In the past 2 years of marriage, his heart never stopped thumping wildly and his stomach never quit doing flips whenever they were in close intimate contact. He fervently kissed her. He felt her hands snake up his chest to rest on his cheeks. His hands raked through her auburn tresses. Suddenly he felt her hand push him away. Her cheeks were flushed as she gazed up at him. Her eyes turned stern.

"It's time you hunted Jedediah," she spoke firmly. "Winter will be here in no time."

His grin grew wider as he gazed down into her chocolate brown eyes. Heavens how he loved her.

"Now, go," she ordered and poked him in the chest. He chuckled. Before he turned, he hurriedly gave her a peck on her lips. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw her smile. Before making his way out of their cottage, he stopped to give Ysabel a kiss.

The air was growing colder, he admitted as he stepped out while strapping his bow around his shoulder. Against his back rested a pack of arrows. Winter would be along in no time and he had to hunt for meat. Ysenda had already picked and stored their garden vegetables and fruit in their storage space.

Jedediah made his way over to their barn which was large enough to shelter a couple horses. He tackled his saddle and mounted his horse. Then he rode into the woods.

A few hours later, the sun was beginning to set. He had found three deer, struck them with an arrow and plopped them over his horse so they hung and swayed as he moved his horse forward. He headed home.

The sun had just dipped beneath the horizon when he arrived back at the cottage. After unsaddling his horse, he took the deer one by one and began skinning them in the barn. He wrapped the meat in brown paper wrap and brought a bundle to their ice room below the barn. He brought the remaining meat. He stood, his hands on his hips as he stared at bundle. He needed more hunting to do. Two more days of hunting and his family should be alright for winter.

He exited the barn and made his way to the cottage. When he entered, he found two plates on the table. Green beans, fried deer meat and potatoes steamed from the plates. The scent of the food carried into his nostrils and he sighed.

"It smells delicious Ysenda!" he exclaimed. He looked in the kitchen to see his wife finishing up with the dishes. She dried her hands on a cloth and walked towards the table.

"Shall we eat?" she asked. He smiled and nodded. As he sat in his chair, he looked at Ysabel. Her eyes were closed and her stomach rose up and down slightly.

They began eating.

"In a couple more days, we will have enough meat for winter," he spoke.

"Good. I have a feeling this winter is going to be harsh," Ysenda responded glancing out the window. A strong wind whistled past. Jedediah listened to the wind which sent chills throughout his body.

"I have a feeling also. But don't worry, we have enough food and wood to keep us healthy and warm. I see you have made several large quilts," he said motioning over to their large rocking chair. Ysenda nodded. While Jedediah left to hunt and chop wood, she spent much of her time sewing.

Once they finished eating, Jedediah cleaned both his and Ysenda's dishes.

That night, Jedediah had prayed in gratefulness for the happiness and love he found in his family. He prayed for Ysenda and for Ysabel. They were the best things that happened to him in his life. As he finished though, a feeling of uneasiness hit him. He wrapped his arms around Ysenda and heard her soft snores. They were overtaken by strong winds that whistled by the windows. He couldn't shake the uneasiness that this winter was going to be harsh.

The uneasy feeling never left Jedediah alone that night. Each time he stepped out of their home and into the ever-growing chilly air, the feeling returned. He tried to force it away countless times, but it always came back. He grew worrisome. He couldn't think of what the spirits were possibly trying to tell him. He'd felt these feelings in the past. They were like warnings. One particular memory stayed with him from his past life he preferred to forget. It reminded him of his greed and many mistakes that haunted him until he met Ysenda.

It was in the dead of winter. He and his group of treasure hunters ignored the warnings of many mountain villagers pleading with him not to seek out the mountain treasure that remained buried in a cavern. They told him that an angry spirit guarded the treasure and if disturbed, misfortune would fall upon them.

Unfortunately, they were greedy and desperate enough to ignore the warnings and the uneasy feelings they avoided as they hiked the mountain and drew closer to the cavern. When they found it, Jedediah stood frozen as he stared at the small dark opening to the cavern. The uneasy feelings returned but he ignored them.

Treasure, money, riches were everything to him. No angry spirit would get in the way. Perhaps, the villagers were afraid for nothing and there was no angry spirit.

He urged his men into the cavern. What they saw before them captivated their gazes, causing their jaws to drop open.

Large piles of gold, treasure chests full of gems, and ancient artifacts worth more than one can comprehend filled his vision. Yes, this treasure was too good to pass up.

He and his men rejoiced and laughed as they searched through the treasure, stuffing armfuls in their sacks. Jedediah couldn't keep the smile off his face as he admired the ancient artifacts. As he stuffed treasure into his sack, he felt a presence behind him. He looked back over his shoulder but there was no one. An uneasy feeling consumed him. He looked around the cavern trying to spot any evil spirit the villagers spoke of. But there was no sign of any spirit.

He told himself everything was alright and he urged his men to finish so they could hike back down to the village before nightfall. When they made it back to the village, the villagers watched them cautiously and fearfully.

A cry burst out.

Jedediah turned around, glanced at his men whose faces had turned fearful and his blood ran as cold as ice. He felt the blood drain from his face as a woman ran from her home. She carried a wrapped bundle in her arms.

She screamed and pointed at them. Jedediah stopped in his tracks.

"You have brought misfortune upon us all!" She cried. She knelt in the snow and buried her face in the bundle. She looked at them again.

"My son has died because of you!" She screamed. Jedediah stood frozen in his tracks. He watched as the woman continued to cry and scream in anguish. Other mountain villagers gathered around her.

"Let's go to the inn," one of his men said and forced him forward. It took a minute for Jedediah to tear his gaze away from the sight. Fear and coldness enveloped him the entire way. Angry, cold stares watched them as they entered the inn.

The next morning, Jedediah awoke to large pounding on his door. He tiredly got up from his bed and trudged over to open the door. Two of his men stood there, their faces as white as snow. Jedediah gulped.

No.

"Samuel and Kayden are dead."

The words hit him like a pile of bricks and his breath caught in his throat.

They left the inn immediately that morning and buried Samuel and Kayden. Jedediah persuaded their men to put the treasure back where they stole it from. Whatever spirit they angered, he hoped it would accept the returned treasure and leave them alone.

But there was no riddance of this spirit. Three more of his men died in the next three weeks as they traveled from village to village. He and his remaining men were anguished.

Regret and despair clouded Jedediah's emotions. He realized his greed for treasure had costed his men's lives. And the child that was killed. How many more of the villagers were killed since they left? He didn't stay long enough to find out. But he knew he had made a terrible mistake.

Jedediah shook the memory from his mind. Ever since he met Ysenda, he felt he had been able to repent of his greed and the past mistakes he made. The lives that he had caused to be taken.

Ysenda helped him heal. Her kind spirit and forgiving nature helped him on his path of finding happiness.

Ysenda and Ysabel were his happiness.

"Please," he prayed as he rode his horse out into the woods. "Please don't let anything happen to my family."

***

Jedediah made his final hunting trip. It started to snow a few inches by the time he returned home. After storing the meat in the storage, he left the barn. He stopped in his tracks and stared at the snow that covered the ground. He looked up at the sky. The large snowflakes slowly floated down and landed on his face. It was quiet. He looked back the at the cottage. He noticed that no lights were on inside. His insides froze and he raced to the door.

He swung it open and peered inside.

"Ysenda!" he called. No answer. Ysabel's cries suddenly appeared and his heart raced. He stepped inside and found her lying in the cradle. Her cries continued to fill his ears as he looked around the cottage for Ysenda. He looked in the kitchen.

No.

Ysenda lay sprawled on the floor, a large bowl of mix next to her. 

"Ysenda!" He knelt next to her. He turned her onto her back to look at her face. No movement. No breathing. Her eyes were open and the brown color he loved so much was gone. Faded into black. Her face was as white as the snow that fell outside. And her skin was cold. Tears stung his eyes. He rubbed his hands on her cheeks.

"No! Ysenda!" He yelled countless times. He knew what did this. He knew what killed his beloved wife.

"Why! Haven't you had enough?" He cried with tears streaming down his cheeks.

"Tell me what you want and I'll do anything! Just please--." He buried his face in his wife's. "Give me my wife back!"

Sadness and pain ripped him apart as he thought about his life without Ysenda. He searched the cottage. For anything that might look like a spirit. There was nothing. The only thing that drew his attention was Ysabel's cries. His baby was still alive but it could not stop the sorrow that was running through him.

He cried for a couple of hours. Until night had crawled upon him and the tears stopped flowing. Ysabel had stopped crying an hour ago it had seemed.

Jedediah stood up from his crouched position and stepped out into the night. The snow had stopped. He came back after digging a grave in the ground. His clothes were soaked from the snow and his fingers were numb from the coldness. He picked Ysenda up in his arms and carried her outside.

After laying her in the grave and covering her with dirt, he knelt on his knees resting his palm on mound. Tears escaped again and he howled into the night.

Sorrow and grief followed him back into the cottage where he heard Ysabel's cries. They were stronger and higher pitched this time. His heart raced again as he raced to her cradle.

He picked her up, shooing her. It did no good. He looked down at her before glancing around the cottage one more time.

"Where are you!" He yelled. "Come out!"

Ysabel's cries grew louder and he looked down at her. Her eyelids were halfway open and tear drops leaked at the corners. A redness flashed in them causing him to wince. Her eyelids lifted higher and the redness flashed again. This time it remained there longer for him to see. His eyes widened. The dark color vanished leaving red irises to take its place.

He instantly set Ysabel back down in the cradle.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:35 pm
EJL3 wrote a review...

Hello

Honestly, I love how this story starts. It's romantic at first, you can just feel the strong love Jedediah has for his wife and the pride he feels for his new born baby. But then there's a dark cloud that slowly sticks it's nose in the story, with Jedediah and Ysenda worrying about the upcoming winter. And I was even worried with them!

After that, everything just goes down the hill. Jedediah loses the love of his life, his beautiful daughter seems possessed... Like, what will happen to him now I wonder?

I'm really eager to read the next chapter!

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:58 am
Mnms25 wrote a review...

Wow! I can't wait to read the next chapter. Your writing is compelling and the plot is exciting. I love the setting! One thing I would improve is the word choice. It is a little repetitive, and I would say maybe just think about using some more colorful words to really make the story come to life. Keep writing!

Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:37 pm

This is an amazing begining to a story. It really pulled me in, and I can't wait to hear the rest of it. Ysenda, dead. Ysabel, perhaps an evil spirit. A father whose life is torn apart. Such a tragic and interesting story. So much action in just one chapter. I love how you track back to Jedediah's former life, and the sin he made that caused all this. Keep up the good work. And could you tag me when you come out with the next chapter, please.

I just want to be the side character in a book that basically steals the whole series.
— avianwings47