Valentine's Day Sucks: 2/6

by roxythekiller

Thanks for all the feedback ^_^! I listened to your advice, and I hope I did a good job :mrgreen:! Don't be afraid to be harsh on me. It's really hard to offend me :wink:! Here is part 2/6.

When I walk into the art room, I mumble a greeting as I pass him.

He doesn’t respond, so I think he didn’t hear me. No loss there, because I hate his voice too. It’s got that nasal-y quality. You know, the kind German people have. He’s from Berlin.

I sit down and glare at him, but the expression never stays mad long enough. You know why? Because he’s incredibly hot.

Hell, it’s like every Berliner is hot.

Ethan’s got this amazing body. He was in my PE class last year--- every fucking guy was jealous. And he knew it. He thinks he’s so hot, and acts like he’s better than everyone. We got along freshman year, before he started hanging with the popular crowd. Then he just stopped talking to me, stopped greeting me.

So there you have it. I don’t hate his looks at all. I just hate him.

Oh. By the way, I’m a raging faggot. Everyone just doesn’t know it yet.

Basically, I found out in the sixth grade. It’s like God was filtering out the defective genes and thought, ‘we wouldn’t want any more Toby’s running around.’ It would break down the moral foundations of humankind or something like that.

Hell, if I gave birth to me, I would probably kill myself. I can’t do anything right. I get more class credits by not showing up, because when I do I just get in trouble. That’s why I keep having to retake classes. And when I pass, it’s usually because my teachers feel sorry for me. The only reason I don’t kill myself is my parents wouldn’t like it. They’re really cool people. You would like them. They put up with me, so they’ve pretty much seen everything.

The truth is I’ve been down lately. Actually, I’ve been down since my parents moved from Texas to California. Sunny Cali-fucking-fornia.

In case you can’t tell, I hate California with a vengeance.

People just don’t get me here. I make a joke, and no one laughs. I say “Howdy” and they think I’m a hillbilly. The only thing they know about being a Texan is that we wear boots. For the record, we Texans only started wearing them because of the rattlesnake problem. California has one, too, but the Cali natives are so annoying even that rattlesnakes won’t touch ‘em.

For the record, no, I don’t like rodeos, I don’t care about steak, and I hate country music. But no one cared about that from where I grew up. I was just one of the guys there, but here I’m The Texan. Well, at least one thing stands. Everything is bigger in Texas, and if you want proof I’ll take off my pants.

“Toby!”

I look up at Dave’s face. Dave is this guy who sits at my table. He’s ambidextrous and he’s my class-friend. You know, a friend you only talk to in-class.

“Toby, you’re so lazy. Do some work, man.”

I sigh, pick up my painbrush, and slather it in paint. I’m painting a picture of a bald eagle, but it’s coming along pretty great. When I work on it, that is.

“Your turkey is coming along great.” Dave says with a grin.

I fling paint at him, “It’s an eagle, damn you!”

Suddenly, I hear Ethan’s voice.

“Tiffany, that’s pretty cool. How did you do that?”

I sigh. Ethan’s German accent sounds cool whatever he says. He could say his ABCs and it would sound cool.

“I don’t know, Ethan. I just practice a lot.”

Tiffany’s voice isn’t nearly as pleasant. It’s scratchy and high-pitched, like she’s choking on her own spit every time she talks.

“You’re a very good artist.”

“She’s so good that I heard she could paint with her pussy,” I mutter, and Dave snickers.

Tiffany has long, wavy black hair and this triangle-shaped smile. When you first look at her, you don’t think she’s that hot. But straight guys don’t really want to date a supermodel. They just want an okay-looking chick with a nice enough rack who knows when to shut up. Ethan’s not any different.

“Shut up, Dave,” I tease Dave, “get back to work. You’re so lazy.”

Dave stops laughing and reminds me, “I still can’t believe you’re failing art.”

“Believe it.”

Dave turns his head around, then looks back at me, “I heard he plans to hook up with Tiffany for Valentine’s.”

“I don’t believe it.”

“Believe it.”

Just then the classroom door swings open and a group of morons yell out, “Valentine’s Grams!”

Our school has this fundraising scheme where they charge you $6.99 for a teddy bear and a Hershey’s bar, and have this chorus line of idiots deliver them for you.

It’s the dumbest thing ever. For 6.99, I could get a month-long porn site membership.

I’d rather have $6.99 any day than a teddy bear and chocolates… because I’m too old for teddy bears and chocolate is my least favorite food.

And the dumbest thing is Valentine’s is actually tomorrow, on Saturday. But my school still wants the money, so we’re having an ‘Early Valentine’s’ fundraiser. Money, it’s all about money.

One of the morons yells out, “Tiffany! For you!”

Tiffany flashes a smile at Ethan. Or, it could be a grimace of pain. It might even be a scowl. But with Tiffany, you never know.

I stand up, and Dave asks, “Where are you going? I thought you were going to work today.”

“Thanks but no thanks, Mom.” I laugh, “I’m going to the bathroom. I need a smoke.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other parts:

1/6

topic22979.html

2/6

topic23061.html

3/6

topic23356.html

4/6

post282923.html

5/6

topic24261.html

6/6

topic24931.html

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:31 pm
lakegirls wrote a review...

Hey,
Again, excellent job on this piece. I did notice something but it's not that big and i'm not even sure if you need to change it.

I sigh, pick up my paintbrush, and slather it in paint. I’m painting a picture of a bald eagle, but it’s coming along pretty great. When I work on it, that is.

It didn't make sense to me when he said that, i have no clue why but it didn't.

Waiting to read the rest! :)

Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:22 am
omgafilangi wrote a review...

Haha, this guy in some ways like one of my gay friends, actually :D I disagree completely with whoever said the thing about pussy was something a gay guy wouldn't say. If Toby were real (and maybe a little less harsh and self-deprocating) we'd probably be best friends. What I'm trying to say I suppose is great character development so far. He's really bring brought to life (at least for me). Keep it up!

Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:03 pm
Doll in Pink C0nverse* wrote a review...

roxythekiller wrote:Hell, if I gave birth to me, I would probably kill myself. I can’t do anything right. I get more class credits by not showing up, because when I do I just get in trouble. That’s why I keep having to retake classes. And when I pass, it’s usually because my teachers feel sorry for me. The only reason I don’t kill myself is my parents wouldn’t like it.

Heck, even I wanted to strangle him after that. Just, ugh, man pick it up and pull it together. =_= lol sorry I'm talking to you like you're toby, I tend to do that time to time. I don't know he's just coming off pretty selfish. Beside from that, the story's getting down right good.

Keep it up. ^^

Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:11 am
DoctorClicky wrote a review...

Gwenevire wrote:
“She’s so good that I heard she could paint with her pussy,”

So... Well I couldn't picture a gay guy saying that!

I completely disagree :-P. That's exactly something a gay guy would say.

I love it so far. Although I'm not sure where it's headed (toward Ethan or Dave?). I also like that he is a Klepto, well, cuz, I like crime-driven people, LOL. And it's funny so far, I like that too.

"It's an eagle, damn you" ... I dunno why but I find that funny... lol.

Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:49 pm

Again, double space. It helps the reader. XD

Good addition...they all seem a little short to me...and more descriptions would be nice. I didn't see any gramatical errors. XD Keep up the good work.

Jamie Bondage.

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:00 am
Loose wrote a review...

Well, it seems I got here a bit late and it's already been critiqued to breaking point.

The only thing I should say really, that I can say without repeating, is that I disagree with Flemzo on one point. "his ABCs" sounds much more casual than "the alphabet", and Toby seems like a laid-back "the world can stick it" sort of guy. In my opinion, stick with ABCs.

Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:35 am
sokool15 wrote a review...

I would suggest rated 'R' for language and mature content. I read stuff rated pg-13, but I wouldn't read this story. No offense, the writing was great, but I don't read stuff like that and I'm not a big fan of gay people. Anyway, anything with the f-word in it and direct reference to sex should be 'R,' I think.

Great job on the actual writing of it, though! Can't fault you for it.

~MademoiselleunKool 8)

Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:45 am
Buddadancer says...

I think this story is perfect and we cant be harsh on you....theres nothing to be harsh about.:X

Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:01 am
Flemzo wrote a review...

As I'm reading this, I'm fixing your spacing. It's way different when you copy something from Microsoft Word onto here. It screws with your spacing so much, and that's why you have to be extra careful when copypasting.

roxythekiller wrote:When I walk into the art room, I mumble a greeting as I pass him. He doesn’t respond, so I think he didn’t hear me. No loss there, because I hate his voice, too. It’s got that nasaly quality. You know, the kind German people have. He’s from Berlin. I sit down and glare at him, but the expression never stays mad long enough. You know why? Because he’s incredibly hot.

Everything from "It's got that nasaly quality" to "He's from Berlin" can definitely be reworded. Maybe something like, "... because I hate his voice, too. He's from Berlin, so it has that nasaly, German quality to it."

Hell, it’s like every Berliner is hot.

This sentence makes me shudder. The only people who are allowed to make up words are Shakespeare, Dr Seuss, and Ogden Nash. That being said, "everyone from Berlin" is much better than "every Berliner". But I guess it doesn't really matter, because the sentence is kind of irrelevant, and I would suggest cutting it.

If he stopped talking to you, that's usually a good sign that he stopped greeting you. Take out the last part of that last sentance, and then combine it with the sentence before it, like, "We got along freshman year, before he started hanging with the popular crowd, then he just stopped talking to me."

Oh. By the way, I’m a raging faggot. Everyone just doesn’t know it yet. Basically, I found out in the sixth grade. It’s like God was filtering out the defective genes and thought, ‘we wouldn’t want any more Toby’s running around.’ It would break down the moral foundations of humankind or something like that.

"Raging faggot" seems like a harsh term to call one's self. That could definitely be changed. You want your reader to sympathize with your characters, not want to slap them and tell them to get over themselves.

You can take out the "and" before "when I pass", or you can combine that sentence with the one before it. That seems to be a common trend in this piece. Also, "the only reason I don't kill myself is that my parents wouldn't like it".

The truth is, I’ve been down lately. Actually, I’ve been down since my parents moved from Texas to California. Sunny Cali-fucking-fornia. In case you can’t tell, I hate California with a vengeance. People just don’t get me here. I make a joke, and no one laughs. I say “Howdy” and they think I’m a hillbilly. The only thing they know about being a Texan is that we wear boots. For the record, we Texans only started wearing them because of the rattlesnake problem. California has one, too, but the Cali natives are so annoying even that rattlesnakes won’t touch ‘em.

Hah! That was surprisingly funny.

I would put "The Texan" in quotes, being that it's a nickname. Also... ew.

“Toby!”

I think the "but" in "I'm painting a picture of a bald eagle, but it's coming along pretty great," should be "and", because the way it is, it's almost like he knows it's crap. That maybe true, but I would err on the side of grammar here.

The comma after "him" and the period after "great" chan switch places. Also, maybe a different thing after "It's an eagle"... PM me if you want to know my ideas (because apparently I'm not supposed to swear in my crits :P).

Suddenly, I hear Ethan’s voice.

He could say his ABCs, but I think it'd sound cooler if he said "the alphabet".

Usually when I'm talking to people one-on-one, I don't say their name, and I don't think Tiffany should either, just to make her more believeable as a character.

“You’re a very good artist.”

I'm assuming Ethan's saying "You're a very good artist." Make it obvious with a "said Ethan", afterward.

This is surprisingly accurate for most guys. Great job on that one.

The "Dave" after "I tease" isn't needed. Also, "I tease" is weird. I don't know what to put in its place, but it's just awkwardly worded.

“Believe it.”

“I don’t believe it.”

“Believe it.”

I like this exchange. This is exactly what I would do with my friends.

I’d rather have $6.99 any day than a teddy bear and chocolates… because I’m too old for teddy bears and chocolate is my least favorite food. And the dumbest thing is that Valentine’s is actually tomorrow, on Saturday. But my school still wants the money, so we’re having an ‘Early Valentine’s’ fundraiser. Money, it’s all about money.

The elipse ("...") after chocolates could be a comma.

Pretty good ending to this part. Just a few things about your spacing and sentences. When in doubt, combine the sentence with the one previous. I'm kind of excited for part three.

Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:46 am
roxythekiller says...

Oh, hehe, the pussy comment is actually a nudge to Chinese prostitution.
Gay guys can and do talk about vaginas, they just usually don't do it when women are around (it's the age-old 'don't say that in front of a lady!' attitude.) In the olden times, some Chinese prostitutes were said to be so skilled that they could hold a paintbrush with their vagina--- and actually paint with it! :P
Essentially, Toby's calling Tiffany a prostitute--- even if it isn't true (he's jealous.)

Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:00 am
Gwenevire wrote a review...

Yay there is more!

So I recall you saying that the dude was gay right? Cause if he wasn't I would consider the part where he is calling that other dude hot XD

Sunny Cali-fucking-fornia.

haha! I love this! Its funny.
I love all his gags. :D

I was just one of the guys there, but here I’m The Texan. Well, at least one thing stands. Everything is bigger in Texas, and if you want proof I’ll take off my pants.
“Toby!”

Maybe you should change that a bit here is my suggestion:

I was just one of the guys there, but here I’m The Texan. Well, at least one thing stands. Everything is bigger in Texas, and if you want proof I’ll take off my pants and-
“Toby!”

So its like Dave is interrupting him.

You have to add a "T" in your painbrush... XD

“I’m going to the bathroom. I need a smoke.”

A smoke in the bathroom at a school? I don't think I have ever heard of it but I guess it could happen.

Over all nice work! I really enjoy reading your work! Keep going and please PM me once you have written 3/6!

Genevieve
xxx

Remember the rain that made your corn grow.
— Haitian Proverb