12+

LMS: Perfect Machine 1

by regismare

His dragon was a perfect machine. It was clockwork, warmed by a furnace in the depths of its chest like a beating, burning heart. It was a creature of steel and smoke, knitted together at the joints by loving hands and illegal magic. It was sleek, streamlined and strong, made for the air like fish for the sea.

He stood like a man touched by God, cowering in the presence of the machine.

But now, it lay dying in the bowels of a china castle, its eyes deadened and sunken like sunset through coalsmog. He slipped out of the shadows towards it, cautious and slow like the tiger who knew his pelt was a prize. He paused and cocked his head to better hear the enraged bellows of the guards higher up in the castle drifting down the stairs that led to the grizzled cavern.

The coarseness of their sounds, the undertone of grief or fear or something more animal, let him know they'd found their fallen comrades - the five guards he had had to slaughter to retrieve his childhood dream: his perfect machine.

And there it was: glinting like a bronze statue in the fire-light of the underground, thrown down on stone floors and left to rot. This dragon, this creature of imagination and whim, this wonder was what he had spent his childhood dreaming of and asking his father, its creator, about. Just bigger than a man, but many times stronger, with furled copper wings, feline build, a smooth tail that tapered into nothing, and a handsome spadelike face. The whole body was covered in plates of metal that interlocked like armour. It lay half-curled like a baby in the flickering half-light from the lanterns and torches mounted on the walls.

He shook his head - such a beautiful creation was unfit to be lying derelict in the tomb-like dark.

The cavern he and it found themselves in was a dingy, hollow place that stunk of damp and deceit. Torches mounted on the walls gave sparing light to his feeble flesh eyes. They flickered and threatened to extinguish themselves like traitors as they illuminated the Queen's most triumphant captive: his dragon.

With the mere thought or her - her, standing proud with her gold and furs and priceless arts - his body and mind to practically ignite with a drawn-out shudder. Her greed had killed his father, and kept the heads of so many below the poverty line in the slum-like flats in the lower city.

He squeaked as he became aware of the shouts grew louder. He - a starved, aching slumrat - would become the Queen's next captive if he didn't stop admiring.

He leaped forwards and fell on his knees by the machine's side, ignoring the jolt of pain that bloomed as his bones crunched against the stone-or-tile. He ran a hand over its smooth, barely-warm shell and murmured a low, almost inaudible string of words - the magic that his father had taught him. As soon as he'd breathed the final one, he heard the whoosh of the furnace deep in its chest breathing back to waking.

Key. He plunged into the pocket of his overcoat and fished out the little silver key he'd kept on a string around his neck for five years, since the day his father had gone to work and hadn't returned - the sole reminder of what his father had risked so much for. He pulled himself onto the dragon's back as the guards' footfalls echoed louder and closer, more dangerous in their descent. Their torchlight glanced down the corridor, catching in the roughness of the stone walls and shining off of the grim puddles on the floor.

A new rush of pride, adrenaline, and joy bloomed in his veins like drugs as he felt the key click into place, and the machine began to move. Its paws moved first, and then its armoured legs, thick like tree-stumps to support its weight. Its wings unfurled and then the rest of its lithe, feline body followed, shuddering and creaking. He crouched like a jockey or a child over its back as it started to move forwards, - good, good, he thought feverishly as he guided the masterpiece according to his father's limited notes, which he'd spent uncountable hours memorising - opening its stout jaws to bare rows and rows of metal teeth at the guards who'd just come rushing in. They faltered and stared at the dragon, his perfect machine.

He was an imperfect being. He was flesh, cooled by the need to survive that was etched in the darkest parts of his mind like ancient runes. He was skin and bone, torn apart deep inside by painful tenacity and determination. But with his creation, he was something more. He was no long just a human, just a slumrat with no hope, a mere practicer of magic in the backstreets and the sewers - no, he was a god now. He was a god who the queen himself was afraid of. With this machine at his side, he was unstoppable.

The dragon lunged forwards and a jet of flames and sticky, molten metals shot out of its mouth. He whooped and shouted with exhilaration at his newfound power as the guards flattened themselves to the walls as he galloped through on the back of a bronze monster. The half-light became three-quarter-light, and then that became the full light of the palace and its pretentious paintings and portraits and runes of histories that never happened.

The palace stretched like a maze in front of he and it, room after room of gold and tiles and guards to break. They lay in bloody ruins under chandeliers in his wake, nothing but fleshy failures in the claws of passive metal and insatiable rage.

He leaned on a switch on the dragon's back and it shot more flames, this time at the paintings and delicate tapestries weaving themselves around the neo-classical pillars and the walls. He shouted again, this time something more obscene, a profanity directed at the queen, her reckless daughter, and their iron rule over the poisoned slums. This was his revenge! She would regret the day she ever stole his dragon from him!

He leaned left and the dragon followed, automatically shifting with his weight. As they spun, a strange, strange sight met his eyes - the queen's daughter, with her cropped dark hair and her body so frail she looked as if one gust of wind would knock her over. She looked so inbred her eyes were sunken and her body was thin and flat - flat enough to be mistaken for a boy -, the opposite of that was natural for a woman of her class. She was perhaps his age - late teens, early twenties - and arrogant in her education; no amount of Latin could make up for her pampered, spoilt past.

"Hello, your highness," he sneered, glaring down at her.

She didn't move, just stood and stared at him and the dragon. Perhaps it was how he straddled its back that had caught her attention - like a startled jockey, scrunched up and tiny between the withers and the horns spiraling out of its psuedo-skull.

He smiled horribly and leant forwards on the dragon's back. It obliged and began to trot, then canter, toward s the queen's daughter. He grinned manically as he watched one huge russet paw swing towards the girl, hooked claws and all. This was what he wanted, this was what he'd wanted for so long, so long.

It thus came as a surprise to him when she raised an arm to meet the paw and it stopped. The whole machine went rigid as her hand moved like a striking snake up to the underside of its neck, where they danced like a pianists' hands for a moment longer and then the machine collapsed.

Its legs buckled and its head lolled as it slumped sideways. He was thrown from its back like a cowboy from a mustang, landing face-first on the marble. His nose gave way and slid slightly off-centre under the force.

He reeled away and scrambled up, dazed with pain as if someone had directed a lightning bolt toward him. His sight spun - or, rather, the room spun, as if he'd had too much beer again - and the dark windows and the bright paintings and the form of his poor, broken dragon blurred together into one garish mess.

"Hello, thief," she smirked and knelt down beside him, only slightly less blurred than the surroundings.

A warm red stream down his chin and then onto the floor accompanied the throbbing across his face. He made no efforts to stem the flow as he watched the brat approach his dragon. She flicked more switches and it wheezed back to motion again.

The remainder of the royal guard arrived, finally, and kept their distance. They crooned out for the princess to stay away from the machine, to come back to where it was safe, to stay away from the criminal, but she did no such things.

Instead, he watched as she directed the dragon towards him, wings spreading and claws outstretched like an eagle diving for prey. He clenched his eyes shut as he felt its talons close around his arms.

The beast banked sharply, lowering its battering ram of a head as the imperial idiot flew it towards the huge, sweeping window that looked out over the city. The guards hollered for her to return, to slow down, to turn away.

She did no such things.

Oh, no.

-

Kazumi wrote a review...

Hey there regis, it's outvaders. I'm just gonna come in real quick and review your chapter.

I was planning to marathon this novel (or read all present chapters before reviewing them all one by one), but when I saw this chapter, I decided that I needed to devote one review to this chapter right now.

It was a chore to read for me, the reason being this ridiculous amount of exposition and details squeezed in between on a consistent basis. It doesn't help either that this is also done in scenes that were supposed to be fast-paced.

Portray a messy room in detail. For literature, it would take one to two paragraphs to do this, and even more if you want to go further. That's not even accounting for the time it would take the reader to register and picture all of this.

What I mean is that the more you squeeze in all these details and exposition in a scene, the longer the story would drag out. And the longer the story drags out, the slower it would feel. And slowing it down would affect the pacing of the story. And pacing is important to building tension and making the viewers feel the beef of the story.

All throughout the story, these little bits of details and exposition that I'm talking about appear on a consistent basis. Thus, they consistently slow down the story. There are times where it's alright to have them there (like the part where he admires the dragon). However, there are times where they shouldn't be there (like the action scenes). But they're there. Because of that, there is a lack of dramatic contrast, which in turn creates a lack of tension.

Take the eleventh paragraph for example. Prior to this point we know that the guards have found out that someone's lurking, and these fellas getting closer and closer to our main man. The consequence of being caught was also stated; there's some form of narrative stake. At this point it would make sense that the mood would be more tense and hurried. But the writing is not following suit. It's still slow. It has the same level of detail and exposition put into it, like the rest of the story. Thus, there's no tense feeling in the writing because it's got no dramatic contrast to the rest of the chapter.

These little bits also distract the viewer from what's really important: the plot. This chapter is full of very tense plot moments, and the reader would want to know what happens next. We don't want these fancy, vivid descriptions. Those things are getting in the way. The situation is getting spicier than a million chili peppers, and we want to know what happens, and we want it right now.

Doing away with them is also important for this chapter, because the job of the first chapter is to introduce the reader to the plot so that they continue reading. If the reader stops reading because he can't fully understand the situation due to the the story beating around the bush so much, then what's the point of writing a second chapter?

Another issue I'd like to point out is the constant usage bigger words and similes. YWS people are pretty smart, but wouldn't this usage of a wide vocabulary make the novel unmarketable to people outside this community? It also contributes to the cons above. It would slow down my reading experience if I had to imagine each of the many similes.

So, yeah. It's preferred if you did away with all these unimportant details and exposition in between.

But if you still want to keep them there, I got a solution. Just hide them in details. Let's take the eleventh paragraph again as an example. It's about the key. I quote:

"...fished out the little silver key he'd kept on a string around his neck for five years, since the day his father had gone to work and hadn't returned - the sole reminder of what his father had risked so much for."

We could compress all these info in one line of dialogue.

As he pulled out the key from his pocket: "Father, this is my vengeance for you."

It's powerful. It links the key and the dragon to his father, implies that something nasty happened to his father due to both of these items, and also shows us what kind of person the character is, and what his relationship is to his father. All in one carefully-crafted line of dialogue. Small things can imply many big things.

Obviously, it's hard to squeeze in every single detail you added in this story. But you have to remember the tippity-top priority of a first chapter: persuade the reader to continue reading by showing them the events surrounding the story. Always work with that goal in mind.

Anyways, that's the end of the review. I know this review might seem like a copy-paste of my review on SirLight's Hidden Entity, but I hope I related the same concepts to your story nicely enough for you.

Keep writing.

-outvaders

regismare says...

Thank you for reviewing! I haven't read the review on Hidden Entity, but your comments were really helpful regardless. My excuse for the bad quality is that I had to rush it in a few hours before the deadline, and I haven't gotten around to editing it yet. I was also trying for a different style of writing which probably didn't turn out so well xD The later chapters are slowly changing back to my usual style, though. All of this is really going to be useful when I finally get around to editing it!

Heir wrote a review...

I've never read a steampunk story before, but since I'm an advocate for the meshing of science and magic, perhaps it's a genre I should give a bit more time to. Especially since the opening of this had me intrigued, due to it's nature. A dragon that is made of clockwork rather than flesh. I saw a mod for such a thing on Skyrim, and I loved it, so clearly, there's something to be said for a traditional fantasy creature being given a less conventional form.

This also allowed for a really good twist with the Princess' power. Honestly, that's the kind of stuff I like to see when I'm reading a story. I love when the POV character is all excited and confident about something, and has that hope snatched away from them in an instant. Very good drama.

I also liked your prose. It's very detailed, much more so than I personally would go, but we all have our own styles, and it's fitting of your story, I'd say.

At first, I was thinking that the description about the dragon and surroundings was a bit too much. I felt it was dragging. However, the twist with the princess offset that, since that build-up is placing a focus on how much this guy adores this dragon, only to make the impact of it being taken from him even more hard-hitting.

But I was a bit confused at the end with this part:

"Instead, he watched as she directed the dragon towards him, wings spreading and claws outstretched like an eagle diving for prey. He clenched his eyes shut as he felt its talons close around his arms.

The beast banked sharply, lowering its battering ram of a head as the imperial idiot flew it towards the huge, sweeping window that looked out over the city. The guards hollered for her to return, to slow down, to turn away."

I didn't really understand what had happened, because I thought the dragon was maybe going to kill the POV character, but it seems as though it stopped and the Princess flew it outside instead?

Interesting story anyway. I'll be reading the other parts soon.

regismare says...

Thank you for reviewing! Sorry this took me so long to comment on - I didn't notice the notification. Thank you for the help : ) and I really do agree the ending needs revision - I wrote it in a big rush and it's not very clear.

OliveDreams wrote a review...

Hi Regismare! Here as promised <3

AMAZING first paragraph. Dragons? Fire? Magic? This is my kind of story already! You have caught my interest.

It lay half-curled like a baby in the flickering half-light from the lanterns and torches mounted on the walls.
- I’m unsure of the double use of ‘half’ here. It sounds a bit off.

The cavern he and it found themselves in was a dingy, hollow place that stunk of damp and deceit.
- use of the word deceit here is genius.

Your description is beautiful. I can tell that you’ve loved writing this. I think you could be a little more vivid with the action scenes. I felt I was watching the dragon rain down hell on the guards through a smoke screen. Does that make sense? I wanted a bit more noise.

Loving the twist with the Princess. This has really caught my attention and I’m excited to read more.

Favourite Line;
It was a creature of steel and smoke, knitted together at the joints by loving hands and illegal magic.

Olive <3

regismare says...

Thank you for reviewing! Sorry this took me so long to comment on - I didn't notice the notification. I'm glad you liked it! And I loved writing this so much, even if I did it last-minute :p

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:42 am
Atticus wrote a review...

Hey Regismare,

This was overall an amazing story. I loved the way you described the dragon- you were very descriptive and used adjectives in such a way that you gave the impression of power and strength to the dragon, which is very fitting and was definitely intentional. I had only two quick suggested improvements:

1: In the beginning scene, when the man sees the dragon for the first time, a sentence or two describing his anger or his resentment would be nice. You do mention this later, but it would be helpful to introduce his anger early on.

2: A few more sentences describing the queen's wickedness would really help antagonize her more and help justify the main character's anger and actions. Perhaps if you mentioned specific cases of her brutal treatment of prisoners- something like "She had brutally murdered her husband to take the throne" would be sufficient. Your statement "she had killed my father" is currently the only specific way you've named that she has been brutal.

This was a great study and I'd love to see you develop it a bit more! You did a fantastic job and really engaged me in your descriptions. It was very well written and well edited- I didn't see any spelling or grammatical errors. Keep up the great work!

regismare says...

Thank you for reviewing! Clarity, especially surrounding the context of the writing, is a really weak point of mine and I really need to work on it, so thank you for pointing it out! I'm aiming to rewrite this, so your comments are really helpful : )

Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:36 am
EternalRain wrote a review...

Hey regismare!

Wow, so this was quite the read. I think I'm in love with your characters already. The instant the girl was described I knew she would make for an awesome character. And does she have magic? So cool. The dragon is sweet as well.

His dragon was a perfect machine.

Simple, but extremely captivating and hooking. Wonderful first sentence - it's beautiful, short, and just lovely.

Now, a few nitpicks--

A new rush of pride, adrenaline, and joy bloomed in his veins like drugs

Interesting metaphor - but it feels a little lacking. Not that it's bad, but I feel like "drugs" isn't "full" enough? It feels like half the metaphor (or simile - technically it's a simile) is missing.

He crouched like a jockey or a child over its back as it started to move forwards, - good, good, he thought feverishly as he guided the masterpiece according to his father's limited notes, which he'd spent uncountable hours memorising - opening its stout jaws to bare rows and rows of metal teeth at the guards who'd just come rushing in.

Hmm... this sentence feels a little long. Consider splitting it up?

A warm red stream down his chin and then onto the floor accompanied the throbbing across his face.

This sentence sounds really awkward - it's missing a few things, I think.

The beast banked sharply, lowering its battering ram of a head as the imperial idiot flew it towards the huge, sweeping window that looked out over the city.

I think this is the wording again. I'm not entirely sure what just... happened? Did the dragon throw the thief boy out the window? Rewording this would probably make it more clear.

One thing that took me a while to understand was where he was. I think explaining the setting - the palace - a bit more, especially more in the beginning - might make it more clear for the reader. Setting is always the biggie, especially in a first chapter, so explaining and developing this soon is important! Even if it's just simple things like describing the castle, it really helps the understanding for the reader.

This is my type of story. I absolutely love the aura it spreads - fantastical and eerie and almost steampunk-ish (I adore steampunk). I'm really excited to see where this story goes - if you could tag me or let me know when you publish more chapters, I would love to read more <3

~EternalRain

regismare says...

Thank you for reviewing! Yeah, clarity is an issue for my writing, especially when it's done at 2am xD. When I rewrite this I'll really work on the setting and context. And I'll certainly tag you when more of this comes out (and steampunk is the best genre btw :p).

EternalRain says...

Yep, writing late at night can sometimes do that xD

Can't wait!

You have been de-shenaniganed.
— WaffleCat