z

Young Writers Society



For My Father

by redrudderhouse


Over the years, you have shown us
the loving whispers between lolo and apo,
caught the fervent prayer of an old woman
as it left her lips. You have taught us
to see through nipa huts, to keep the sun
alive as it lies dying on its fiery bed.
Someday, like the waters of Mimbalut Falls
rushing down the rocks, you too
will become one with the river of time.
But always, like the cheerful children
you have allowed to fall forever
into the sea where the sun was dancing,
you will be seen laughing
as you look back, your frozen frames
freezing you.
----------

Notes:
My father is a photographer. The images here are his pictures put in words.
"Lolo" and "apo" mean "grandfather" and "grandchild", respectively, in Filipino.
A nipa hut is an indigenous house used in the Philippines.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
261 Reviews


Points: 1802
Reviews: 261

Donate
Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:21 pm
KnightlyAngel09 wrote a review...



Hello.:) I'm from the Philippines also.:) Now, that being said, I think that the way you used imagery of nature and coupled it with Filipino words gave this poem such an original touch. I honestly really love this. Your imagery was simple yet so very vivid. I could see and feel everything that you talked about in this poem.

I really want to write a more substantial review but I think that all I really want to say is that I think you use words brilliantly. Your father captures images through photographs and I believe that you capture images just as vividly in your words. This is an amazing poem and I would love to read more from you.:)




User avatar
55 Reviews


Points: 1137
Reviews: 55

Donate
Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:51 pm
Rob wrote a review...



Hy!
Here to review a bit.
One thing I noticed that the scenery you have created is amazing. I could see myself there, by the falls. I really love how you created and combined the scenery.
Also, the word choice is very good. They really help in sustaining the scenery and atmosphere.
Good job. I really like it.
Though , a little bit more feelings..




Random avatar

Points: 1078
Reviews: 9

Donate
Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:20 am
redrudderhouse says...



Thanks for your reviews. Much appreciated :)

The "foreign" (how ironic on my part. haha) words actually were italicized in the original copy, but when I pasted it on my blogspot and then here they suddenly weren't. I logged out right after uploading. Sorry for the confusion :D

English may not be my first language, but it is the language I breathe in. ;)

While at first I selected the images at random, I later realized they each seem to represent some sort of life lesson one can learn from a father. What do you guys think?




User avatar
403 Reviews


Points: 23786
Reviews: 403

Donate
Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:39 am
SmylinG wrote a review...



Hey, wonderful poem. :) I liked it a lot. It reminded me of something right out of my English book. I really love how you incorporated your heritage into it. I think that's what added to the charming quality of it all. And the notes at the end were helpful as well. Cluing the rest of us in. -Much appreciated. ;) I better understand that part of your poem. It came out beautiful. Great job.




User avatar
123 Reviews


Points: 4494
Reviews: 123

Donate
Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:03 am
TheWalkinDude wrote a review...



Normally, I hate making a comment or review so short, but I promised myself that I would comment/review the first thing I read upon breaking my review fast. Well, anyways, I'm going to at least comment on this and share my thoughts as best as I mentally can!

When I first read this, I was confused at first about the foreign words you used, as I did not know that (I do now, though!), but they do make the poem feel more personal to the writer, which is something I, personally, enjoy in reading short poetry like this. It's short, but not short as if you just wrote it on a whim, more like you wrote it longer at first, then found what you really meant, just covered in a few extra layers of words and phrases, or even something you wrote fluidly and slow, each word following one before it perfectly, or as near as possible. I'm not saying this poem is perfect, but I still enjoyed the way it the images were conveyed. My only concern with that is that you should really italicize those words. Now, I understand that considering English is more than likely not your first language (I don't know for sure, so please don't be angry with me if I'm wrong) , making those words stand out don't seem necessary. Being that you're posting on a dominantly English site, however, it would be very good of you to follow the rule of grammar about italicizing lesser known foreign words. To me, those words were lesser known, but they may be common knowledge really. I'm an Okie, and the part I'm from doesn't have a lot of hispanics (two or three by my last count).

The subtlety is also something to be awed by from your poem. Reading this at first without that end note, I never would have guessed that your father was a photographer. Reading it a second time after knowing this, the poem seemed to change views, and it didn't really change the emotions in it, but it did kind of open the reader's eyes.

Great poem altogether. Loved it. Again, only thing that bugged me was that one piece of grammar. If anything else is wrong with it that others see, well, then it apparently didn't bother me. Also, congrats! You're my first reviewee since I've returned!




User avatar
152 Reviews


Points: 1130
Reviews: 152

Donate
Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:51 am



hi... Ita nice poem.. I liked it pretty much... Keep writing...:)





If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
— Anatole France