How to Kill What Can't Grow - INTRO + CH1

by rawrafied

I was getting on that Dean's List.

In order to apply for the Master's program, I needed to have an overall 3.0 GPA. I was at a 2.88 that semester. Getting on the Dean's List was my incentive to obtain the grades required to convert a measly 2.88 to an acceptable 3.0.

I lived a mundane life.

But that was college. And college was needed to get a degree. And a degree was needed to get a job. And a job was needed so I could finally get out of my room and my parent's house and my mundane life.

The first two weeks were typical school stuff. I went to class. I met my teachers. I nodded my head during their lectures so they wouldn't realize how confused I was. And then I had a four-day weekend to decode their lectures. So, the Dean's list was still in my grasps.

Then came the third week.

For two weeks, the professor had warned us. I had already begun strategizing whom my potential project partner would be. My social circle could wrap around the circumference of an ant and still not form a complete circle. So, my only requirement was a living body. I had done several projects entirely by myself. I prepared to do the same. All I needed was that body.

I was packing my papers into my folder. Class had concluded. I was familiar with being the last to leave class. The deadline for partners was mentioned again by the professor. My seat in every class was always at the farthest back corner of the room. I saw everything.

But I could not foresee you.

C H 1 - Let's Begin Again

I don't look people in the face.

An odd quirk, I think, but one I practice regularly. So, when you stood there before my seat, I had not initially realized your identity. But I heard your request all the same. You offered to be the body I needed for my project.

"I would love to," I still vividly remember replying because of how you paused and then laughed.

And the deal was set.

The next task was to exchange numbers. For an engineer, I lived in prehistoric times. I tried to offer you a piece of paper, but struggled to find a sufficient sacrifice. You quickly supplied your phone. My number was yours and yours was mine.

I think the next time we met was a week later. Or that Monday. What I do remember was being in one of the nosiest libraries of my educational period. Using music and headphones to drown out the sounds of library-barbarism, I had decided to face the odds and complete an entire homework assignment before heading to our class. Instead, I received your text.

It's risible to think there was a time I didn't desire it.

You wanted to meet up with me. You wanted to discuss what topic we should pick for our project. We were scheduled to make the official decision when we went to class in a few hours. So, there was nothing unusual about this request. I offered to meet you outside of class a half-an-hour early. Picking a topic was simple. This homework I wanted done was not. You instead offered for me to meet you elsewhere. Earlier.

After an hour, and only a portion of the homework completed, I reluctantly agreed. You were my project partner, and I needed to make certain you could rely on me. Even if it meant readjusting my schedule. And I appreciated your initiative. So, after clarifying some confusion of where you were located, I made the inconvenient walk to the third floor of the building where the room I never heard of before was located.

There were two other girls there.

The room you invited me to was for the club you were a part of. As you had mentioned in your text, it was on the third floor of the Engineering Building next to the main stairway. The rectangular room was about the size of an average-income living room. The majority of the space was taken by an oval-shaped wooden table. The two girls were seated across from one another toward the front of the room that I had entered from. You were seated at the far back of the room with seats between you and the girls.

These two girls were also members of your club. And I knew them both. I had talked to both of them before and was ecstatic to see them again. Far more than I was to see you. In fact, I had initially attempted to sit by them. Instead, they guided me to a seat near you.

I legitimately don't remember much of this exchange with you. I know we had both made lists of our preferred topics from the ones listed on the rubric. We might have coordinated this in class. Again, I don't remember. But it ended with you taking to the task of combining our lists together and picking the highest-ranking ones based off of any we had in common.

I do remember talking to the two girls.

They both revealed to me that they were in the class that the homework I was trying to finish was from. Finding people to study with was a rarity for me. Especially people with the studying dedication that I knew these two girls possessed. However, I was not certain how to bring up the conversation. We talked briefly about the homework. But the conversation changed before I could muster the courage to make my request of them. We talked about graduation, our curriculum, our courses, whether we commuted, and where we were from. The exact segue is a lost memory now, but the conversation changed to a recent horror movie. I remember my enthusiasm.

Then you entered the conversation by asking me a question about the movie.

It somehow led to my reply, "I'm not certain if the monster will make sense if you haven't read the book."

Then you and the girls began talking about your own group of subjects. I had returned to attempting to complete my homework. I was halfway done. And I wanted to segue back into this subject when the opportunity arose.

I was asked to join your club.

I don't remember if it was you or one of the girls that asked me this. But I remember looking up and seeing you standing behind this girl and the two of you were staring at me as you waited for my response. Which was inconvenient because I froze. I really didn't know you. I really didn't know your club. And I wanted to get on the dean's list. And I was afraid to join a social club and lose that opportunity. We all stared at each other until it became obvious that I was not going to supply an answer.

Even with hindsight, I honestly don't know if that was a good or bad turn of events.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:54 pm
PeijiRestoration wrote a review...

Hi! I want to start this out by saying that I really like this. I'm very interested to see where it goes.

Two parts I particularly liked were your likening of a piece of paper to write a number on to a sacrifice, and your reference to the protagonist's social circle as not being able to even circle an ant.

However, I noticed two issues.

In the line "So, the Dean's list was still in my grasps." "grasps" should be "grasp"

The sentences "I had talked to both of them before and was ecstatic to see them again. Far more than I was to see you." should read something like "I had talked to both of them before and was ecstatic to see them again, at least far more than I was to see you." or "I had talked to both of them before and was ecstatic to see them again. I was much less excited to see you.

So basically, keep writing! I'll be sure to stay updated on this story!

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:22 am
Ventomology wrote a review...

Hello! This was an interesting read. The 'you' and 'I' thing isn't something I tend to see in long-format literature, so I was intrigued.

Technical Comments:

It looks like LMAuthor got to you on character descriptions, but I think you could add in a little more setting stuff too, without having to worry about it affecting your all-encompassing-names-endeavor. Stuff like the vibe of the club room and maybe the general campus atmosphere, as well as a couple of seasonal details to demonstrate what time of year it is, will all help to bring not only the characters to life, but the place they're in as well.

And along that note, I think that with this really surreal, could-be-anyone style, you can take some serious liberties about how the narrator interprets the surroundings too. You could go all out in exaggerating tight spaces or loud spaces, or anything, because this is a memory, and people like to exaggerate what they remember.

Plot, Characterization, and Misc. Items:

1. I know the genders of the leads are still unknown, but I'm kind of hoping this story doesn't go the 'manic pixie dream girl' route? It tends to be a little unfair to the love interest if they have to carry the lead to a happier existence. The story and the telling are up to you, of course, but I would caution you to avoid that trope, since it depicts a somewhat unbalanced romantic relationship.

2. Otherwise, I love the way this meeting is set up! The fact that the narrator is uncertain about events that happened around this time is a good way of showing that the future-love-interest really wasn't a big part of the narrator's life, and I'm guessing that over time there will be contrast in the details that the narrator chooses to remember, based on the changes in what's important.

It's a small detail, but I like how much you can do with memory in this story.

I think I'll wrap up there. Tag me when you update, please! I'd love to see where you take this.

Happy Review Day!
-Buggie

rawrafied says...

Thank you very much for your detailed review. ^_^

My intention was to add more info about the description as the story progresses. Especially since a lot of the places that "I" travels to are not familiar to them, and the descriptions were going to build upon themselves. Plus, I prefer stories that only include descriptions that are necessary and are meant to build the characters describing them than just the scene. Also, I still haven't quite gotten a handle on the character's monologue voice, so I'm a little concerned with doing too much descriptions this early on when there's not a lot of dialogue. Just out of fear of boring readers with it. However, I can certainly try adding something about the club room in this chapter, since "I" will be returning there in Chapter 3. I just need to find a good spot that won't interfere with the current flow. xD

I really like your suggestion about playing with the liberties of how the narrator interprets the surroundings. I tried to do a little of this with the library, but I'm certain there's more creative ways I can take advantage of this. I'll have to see if I can rise up to this challenge. :]

I actually have never heard of this Manic Pixie Dream Girl/Boy trope. I tried looking over several articles and websites to look for an explanation, but I can't quite find a clear definition. xD However, I did find one that referenced "(500) Days of Summer". This story probably does have some similarities to that movie and the book "The Glass Menagerie". So, it's possible that trope will be executed here. You're welcome to call out instances of it though, if/when you see it. However, it's not exactly my intention to depict a healthy "relationship".

Thank you again for your review and for asking to be tagged next update. Definitely struggling with this second chapter and would appreciate your assistance. ^_^

Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:43 am
LMAuthor312 wrote a review...

Pretty good story. I really want to know what happens next. I think you need to establish our narrator a little bit better. I don't know who's mind we are seeing all this happen from. Also, it all feels just a little bland. Not much description, but just enough to get you going. The people are all faceless and need a little more put into them. I think you have a good direction, but you're just missing a little description and the plot is a little slow.

Thank you for letting me read and review this.

Happy Holidays!

rawrafied says...

Thank YOU for taking the time to read and review this. ^_^

I'm not certain to what specifically you are referring to with "descriptions". If you're talking about world building, I tend to do very little of this is modern stories. So long as you know the MC goes from a classroom to a library to a club room, then that's all I care about. However, if you're talking about the way the MC is describing events unfolding, then that I agree. This probably ties in with your issue of not being able to know the narrator very well. Hopefully I can fix that on a future draft. Though, if I'm misinterpreting your advice, feel free to let me know. :]

As for the people being faceless. Yeah, that's something I'm sort of battling with how I want to approach this story. Basically, I want no one in this story to have any names. The two main characters are named "I" and "You". There will be other characters that will show up and get their own pronouns (ex: "Pseudo-You" and "Your Alternative"). But that means I'll have to do extra work so that each person is flesh and blood. But it's also hard to balance this with a protagonist that is more focused on themselves (and later in the story "You") than others. Tl;dr yeah, gotta work on this.

And thank you again for your insight on how you perceived this beginning chapter. :D Happy Holidays!

Poetry is a phantom script telling how rainbows are made and why they go away.
— Carl Sandburg