Loneliness poem

by preston7

I find myself trapped

In my own private fiction

no one can see cause

A long time ago

I uncovered the dark truth

that no one likes me

So I hide alone

sheltered from people who lied

and also the truth

Hiding is not safe

But escape is difficult

It's impossible

I’m empty and numb

I wish someone would notice

I fear it's too late

If you could help me

Then I would be quite thankful

But it is hopeless cause

I find myself trapped

In my own private fiction

no one can see me

Radrook wrote a review...

Thanks for sharing this poem concerning a deep sense of loneliness from which there seems to be no escape. Whether this is about you or you are using a persona, I don't know. But it is irrelevant to how the poem stands or falls on its own merit.

Did it convey the intense sense of loneliness? Yes it did. The tone of the poem did reinforce the sense. Did it convey clearly why the speaker feels deceived and unloved or feels that he is in a hopeless condition and that any attempts at helping him is useless? No it did not. The reader is left to ponder about these things and the possibilities are many.

Suggstions

A few hints that inform the reader about the events leading to this situation and about certain crucial statemenhts would have been helpful. For example: if he considers his situation based on lies, why then is he still motivated to be influenced by them. Also, providing a few hints about why escape difficult and hiding dangerous would have created more clarity.

BTW

If indeed this is truly about you and not a persona, please feel free to message me via PM. Talking about such things can lead to enlightnment which might prove helpful. Lookng forward to reading more of your work.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:22 am
tigeraye wrote a review...

Not a bad effort. It's unhealthy to cut ourselves from people when we feel the massive amounts of pain this world has to offer, but sometimes we do it anyway. There have been times where I needed someone to talk to, someone sensed that and approached me and I told them I was fine. It's an odd thing. In that regard, I think your poem is very easy to resonate with and captures what it's like to be unwantedly isolated.

In your future poetry, you should try to play around with form and move around the words to make it read differently. This poem in particular would benefit from having more spaced out stanzas so the areas of isolation have more room to breathe. The formatting for this website's editor is convoluted, so what I do is just screenshot the Microsoft Word file using Snipping Tool on Windows. On a side note, I'd avoid insulting your own writing in your description in the future. Have some confidence in yourself so your reader can return that confidence.

I don't know how personal the narrative of this poem is to you, but if you need someone to talk to regardless, my PM box is open

I see no reason to celebrate the random timing of natural events by eating poison and singing.
— Dilbert