z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Let me go

by pixelstick


Here's a quick thing that's been swimming through my head for a long time. I'm gonna flesh it out sooner or later but for now, enjoy.   

“Why won’t you let me go?” She asked, with an increasingly irked tone in her voice. “I’m just as strong as you and I can obviously handle myself.” She gave the taller woman a light shove and started to go on before the woman grabbed her wrist. 

“It’s because…” She looked back at the woman. “It’s because I love you.” Tears started to well up in her once cold brown eyes. The girl looked back at her, her long curly hair, her tan skin, tinged with red. She gave her a peck on the cheek, then broke free of her grasp.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 36
Reviews: 1

Donate
Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:54 am
DeReKm8 wrote a review...



Hey there!

I really enjoyed reading this short. I would like to say, when I read "in her once, cold brown eyes", I couldn't help but to ask myself, did she change because the girl wanted to leave, or did she realize it was time to let go and became light-hearted about the decision?

Personally, I feel that this could be a story about a mother and a daughter, the daughter being desperate to finally go out into the world alone. Good work!




User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:08 pm
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey there pixelstick and welcome to YWS! Congrats on publishing one of your first works. It's just lizzy dropping by real quick, so without a further ado, let the reviewing begin.

So your piece of flash fiction here is mostly dialogue and pretty well organized but I think I would just separate it out a touch more. I would do a line shift at 'tears' and maybe even one at 'she' in the previous set of lines. I mean this is a sort of nit picky thing and it really just all depends on taste, but I thought it might go better that way. It's just one thought.

The whole story itself is something that I enjoyed and usually when I come across stories like this, they're not as romantic or maybe sensitive is the right word here. I really don't have that much to say about this, which is a really odd thing for me. The imagery is a bit spotty but I can see where this could be fleshed out further into a really good story. I'm thinking you're intending it to be romantically centered, unless I'm reading this completely backward.

The one sentence that did bother me a bit, is the one I went ahead and put in the quote below.

The girl looked back at her, her long curly hair, her tan skin, tinged with red.

I really like the descriptions that you were using here but I'm still a little put off by all the 'her's and commas that you used. I'm thinking that this line of descriptions would be a great place to start on when expanding this story. You have a lot of key details about appearance here and it's always good to have strong details there, so the readers can really imagine the characters in their head.

Besides that, everything looks fine, so I'm just going to go ahead and leave now. If you ever need any help with anything or have any questions, feel free to ask me or any other moderator. (we're the ones in green and red)
Have a nice day and good luck on future writing projects.
Lizzy
The Queen of the Book Clubs




User avatar
107 Reviews


Points: 9326
Reviews: 107

Donate
Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:13 am
Cadi wrote a review...



Hi pixelstick! This is a promising snippet - it opens up lots of questions about the characters and setting.

Because this is only a short sketch of an idea, I don't have a huge number of suggestions for improvement. I'm not sure the kiss at the end quite fits the mood of the moment - "a peck on the cheek" evokes a quick, familiar kind of kiss, like you'd give a family member when leaving for work in the morning, or like you'd give a romantic partner 'in passing'. The scene has more of a "dramatic revelation of love" vibe in general, so is there something more appropriate to the woman-who-wants-to-go's emotional reaction?

As I said, this looks promising - I'd be interested to see what you do with it if you do expand it into something longer!





There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights.
— Bram Stoker