The World of Telis - Prologue

by olympian1999

PROLOGUE

The crackle of thunder pierced the air as the rain poured from above. I’m sitting on the roof, absorbing each freezing drop of water as it finds me. With each exhale, the mist of life escapes me. I’m soaked, but I love it. Out here, on the rough shingles of an aging home, I can think. My mind can clear. The black hair on my head falls flat and sticks to my forehead. I can feel the cold deep in my bones, but this is my only escape. Out here, looking on the white glow of the moon and the wild forest at the end of the street, I feel alive. On most nights, I relax out here, after the rest of the house has fallen asleep. By now, I have memorized every detail of the landscape, from the dim streetlamps to the mossy stone fence at the tree line.

Soon, the desire to enter the warmth and submit to the draw of my pillow became too strong and I return to my worn room. Stealthily shutting the window and changing into dry clothes, I close my eyes and fall into a restless slumber. I have never really slept well, but as I tossed and turned in the sheets, my mind had brought me into a dream. I love dreams. They’re an escape from the harsh reality I’ve come to know. This, however, is an unwelcome terror. I found myself in a familiar land, one I’ve visited in dreams before. It is like earth, but in the time of adventurers and monsters. This medieval world had been one I’ve come to love, but now something about it feels different.

In the dream, I found myself on a hill covered in darkness except for the pale moonbeams. It is strange. It feels off, but I’m not sure why. As I looked around, a dark fog began to appear at my ankles, swirling around until it is all I can see. This definitely isn’t normal and I didn’t like it. Out of nowhere, a pair of glowing purple eyes flashed into the darkness. Before I could understand, I awoke with a start to the most annoying sound in the world: my alarm clock. It’s time for me to go back into a world I loathe.

As I prepared mentally for another horrible day in the cruel environment they call high school, I could hear the footsteps of my sister getting ready in her room. Felicity is a straight A student. She always put extra effort into her work and the teachers were impressed by it. She loved school, and who could blame her? Every teacher adored her, she is a main actress for the theater department, and her whole life is perfect. Well, aside from being a foster kid. Both Felicity and I are foster children, and we aren’t technically related. We have been together for nearly thirteen years now and she is the closest thing I’ve ever had to family, so I think of us as siblings.

It is strange that we’ve been put together for so long. Usually, we were in one home for two or three years until the foster parents decided I’m too brooding to handle or I’ve gotten into too many fights with the other kids, but wherever I went, Felicity followed. I’ve always thought it was because we had the same social services worker, Mr. Fleming, but when I turned sixteen, Mr. Fleming moved back to his home to look after his sickly father. Since then, we’ve lived with the awful Goldans in this rickety house. The paint peeled, the pipes leaked… it all is just horrible.

I want out. I want to get away from all of it, except Felicity. Luckily, I only have to wait two more weeks until I turn eighteen and became my own guardian. Felicity is out of the system a month after me, but we’ve agreed we will both break away as soon as we can. I think of myself as very lucky to have Felicity in my life. Without her, I wouldn’t be able to survive on my own. She took care of me, unlike everyone else.

Now ready to get to school, with Felicity’s hair dryer running in the background, I head out early for school. I want to get there before everyone else. Well maybe not everyone else… Just Lex. Lex is the school bully. He is one of the meanest looking seniors you could think of. Gnarled teeth, scar under the left eye, Russian accent. The whole nine yards. Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating. Lex was intimidating and rough though. He was one of the main reasons school had become insufferable.

Before my parents went and died on me, I loved to learn. I had friends. I had a life. Now I’m stuck in a system that doesn’t care about me, with a family that wouldn’t notice if I went missing, in a world that doesn’t know I exist. I wish I could go back to when they were still here, but that’s not something people can do. When you lose somebody, they’re gone. They’ve ditched you and gone to whichever afterlife you believe in.

As I make the pilgrimage to school, I can feel the autumn leaves crunching under my feet. The Earth seems to turn slowly for the next half a mile. People whiz by on their daily commute. Suckers, living with a purpose. Right now, I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m only focused on my escape, nothing else mattering. I’ll take each wave as it hits me and try not to drown in the ocean of life. Some kids dream of being president, astronauts, or doctors, but I just want to be free. Live how I want with the people I choose. Nobody else telling me who I’m supposed to be. Only me being me how I want to be. 

PrincessInk wrote a review...

Hi, another Review Day critique!

In the prologue here, there was a "backstory" dump. I would like it if you spread it over the (later) chapters of your story. Backstory dumps aren't particularly so interesting to read, so sifting the details over the scenes would be a HUGE help. We readers don't need it all at once. I get the point: the MC has a miserable life now. Honestly, there wasn't too much fun about reading backstory. But the MC drew me in and I'm interested in checking out the first chapter, but I feel as though the prologue was merely backstory here, and using prologue for backstory is not the best idea.

There was also some switching of tenses here that really confused me. Maybe an occasional tense change to show something like "I'm still doing this now" is okay, but I'm not a huge fan of tense changing.

I also have the feeling that maybe the two kids are going to run away together? And run into Telis? Is the dream tied to it? I'm really eager to know the answer to these questions. The MC's wishes kind of kept me interested in what was going to happen. The MC's voice was pretty resentful and sad and strong. Good job for establishing his voice!

So my main point here: please, no infodump. The information can be spread over scenes, even chapters. Just release the backstory when it's needed. The character was quite likable, like I said before. So I hope my review wasn't too negative and I hope you have a great day writing!

~Princess Ink~

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:07 am
skylnn00writes wrote a review...

Hey! Sky here to give you a review :smt001 All of the following are suggestions and you obviously don't have to listen to me if you don't want to.

I loved your first paragraph. Like I really have no other words to describe how it makes me feel other than I love it. I also really liked your second one. I'm really liking this so far. I don't know if I'll find anything to critique.

I’ve always thought it was because we had the same social services worker, Mr. Fleming, but when I turned sixteen, Mr. Fleming moved back to his home to look after his sickly father.

Just a small thing I am too picky to leave alone. Social worker, you can leave the services but to me it just sounds a bit strange.

Now ready to get to school, with Felicity’s hair dryer running in the background, I head out early for school.

Just another personal opinion I have, you can really just ignore me... I just don't like reading the same word repeated within a short time, as in the same sentence or a couple of sentences. Especially when it can be avoided, as in this case. If I were you, I would just take out the second school and leave it at "I head out early." This is really up to you, it just sounds too repeated for me.

Okay, I really couldn't find anything else wrong with this. I might have just gotten too invested, but I really liked this story. As for it only being a prologue, I can't wait to read the rest of the story. We haven't gotten much of a glimpse of who the character is, but it's enough to draw you in. I feel a personal connection to the character and what he is feeling as well, so good job on that. I really have nothing else to comment on besides keep writing :smt001

I hope this was helpful.

olympian1999 says...

Thanks so much! I did feel that those sentences were a little clunky and awkward, so thanks for helping me fix those. I'm glad that you enjoyed!

olympian1999 says...

Hey guys! Thanks for reading. I'm a new user who just started writing with newfound courage. Please let me know what you think and how I can improve. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to Young Writers Society! I haven't been here for too long either so I understand how you feel. Let's start with the review now, shall we? :)

'I%u2019m soaked, but I love it.' Is the correct way to say that.

'Soon, the desire to enter the warmth and submit to the draw of his pillow became too strong and I return to my worn room.' The 'his' word contradicts the first person narrative of the rest of the story, so just quickly replace it with "my" for consistency's sake. The same applies to 'I found himself in a familiar land, one I%u2019ve visited in dreams before.' where 'himself' wrongly takes the place of "myself".

'This medieval world had been one I%u2019ve come to love, but now something is different.' instead of this, try saying 'This medieval world is one I%u2019ve come to love, but now something about it is different.'

'I love dreams, they%u2019re an escape from the harsh reality I%u2019ve come to know.' A better way of saying this would be 'I love dreams. They're an escape from the harsh reality I%u2019ve come to know.' Or simply just 'Dreams my escape from the harsh reality I%u2019ve come to know.'

'Before I could understand, I awoke with a start to the most annoying sound in the world: my alarm clock.' Is the correct way to say that.

'Well, aside from being a foster kid.' Is the correct way to say that so just add the coma there like I did.

'Usually, we were in one home for two or three years until the foster parents decided I%u2019m too brooding to handle or I%u2019ve gotten into too many fights with the other kids, but wherever I went, Felicity followed.' Is the correct way to say that.

'The paint peeled, the pipes leaked...it all is just horrible.' Is the correct way to say that.

'I think of myself as very lucky because I have Felicity in my life.' Instead of this, try saying 'I think of myself as very lucky to have Felicity in my life.'

'Before my parents went and died on me, I loved to learn.' Instead of this, it would simply suffice to say 'Before my parents died, I loved to learn.'

Also, be careful about overusing the word "just". I would suggest deleting a few of them.

Criticism aside, I found this to be a very gripping prologue. You manage to convey the emotions of the narrator very well as well as properly describe the scene so I can imagine it all in my head. The dream part was especially interesting and fun to read and the bond between Felicity and the narrator is one I am quite eager to see more of rather than be told about it. I am sure she'll be an interesting character.

Keep writing %uD83D%uDC4C%uD83D%uDE42

Hmm, that odd, I don't know where those weird 'I%u2019m' and others like it came from. There's an error preventing me from sending the review. I sent a message to the webmaster so hopefully it'll be fixed soon

olympian1999 says...

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help. I know a few mistakes are from when I switched from third person to first half way through haha. I'm glad you enjoyed and want to see more!

It's easier to come up with new stories than it is to finish the ones you already have. I think every author would feel that way.
— Stephanie Meyer