something to have fun with

by ohhewwo

Yeah, I noticed that there aren't a lot of sci-fi stories here, so I got this idea that everyone will probably think is stupid. Anyway, I thought maybe we could all, like, write a story about, like, a new group of colonists on a planet. It could just be something to play around with. Just a thought ... post if you're interested.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:28 pm
ohhewwo says...

Ummm ... this thread has been dead for a while now. We all just kinda stopped posting ...

Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:10 pm
Rei says...

That's an okay idea, but shouldn't someone write an opening and put it int the storybook section?

Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:08 am
ohhewwo says...

My e-mail isnt up right now, but I'll tell it to y'all when I get myself registered again (which will be in a day or so tops).

Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:10 am
Sabine says...

yes that's probably a good idea. and the stranded thing sounds pretty good too (just around 20 people maybe, 6 or 7 mains and some backgrounds?), or maybe some of them meant to be there and some of them didn't? anyway, my email is Tashanith_powati@yahoo.com, if you guys want to contact me there. or we could do a chat sometime, though I almost nver chat and tend to be slow at keeping up with the conversation.

(maybe we could each take a character and write sections from them?)

ohhewwo says...

Those are all really cool ideas.

I think actually (now) there should be a small cast of characters just exploring a planet and somehow get stranded, or something.

And to that last question ... I'm not sure. I thought someone else would come up with that. Maybe we should do it through e-mail. That would help to not let this strand get too full, and could also keep the plot "confidential."

Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:02 am
Sabine wrote a review...

okay... off the top of my head some ideas/questions to think about in utterly random order. some of these might be usefull, or not, you never know.

the planet they go to has a consciousness? or you know, a presence in some way, or a resonence.
if humans go they might not resonate on the right frequency and might need to like, get tuned.

sentient beings are already there that they didn't kow about?

crashed/ too far away to radio/ are somehow out of touch with earth people for a while?

how collonized it the world? so they have to make everything from scratch? do they have building that they can ust put together or do they have to really build them (and how advanced is their technology)

what kind of colonists are they. settle down, farmthings and make babies kind? refugees? commune people shunning technology? affluent people seeking a private neighborhood? popluations overflow who will make cities like on earth? miners/people there to harvest the resources of the planet (and if that's the case, mightent the planet object to that under the sentient planet scenario?) people who intended to make cities and modern things but somehow lost their supplies and now have to rough it?

would another planet's clorophil (the photosynthisis stuff) be green like on earth or would it be a different colour or more than one colour?

humanoid plant people (thus not detectable by human instruments and they didn't know they were there) who live on the planet. they have dream time and mysitcal stuff like that, maybe, or clairvoyance, and they appear all nieve and uncomplicated (and extremely patient) but have hidden talents. maybe they commune with the planet? and the humans have to interact with them. I picture them as greenish, or maybe reddish golden?

what sort of climate zone would it be? would there be a lot of ocean or a lot of land? underground caves with water maybe, and desert? or jungle? or temperate forest or meadow land, or maybe moor land, rocky and craggy and rainy places?

Is it just humans or are there aliens in the mix and do they interact frequently with other planets or are they isolated, are they a trade outpost? at the outer edges of the fronteer? a first colony, or just another in a long series of them?

all good things to think about and figur out. as you can see i've given this kind of thing some thought myself. :).

also, are we, deciding on a setting/characters/univers thing for this and al writing seperate things based on that? or will we do a round robin? or some other kind of thing?

Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:23 am
Duskglimmer wrote a review...

No... I'm still working on that one, Bobo... I'm talking about the Group Story board that never got started.

And yeah, the YWG doesn't have hardly any serious writers on it anymore. Everyone just goes there to be random. I'm getting a bit tired of it.

But I should stay on topic: Anybody got any ideas? My brain is dead right now. Too much life going on.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:50 am
Bobo says...

Dusky, you mean that book with the people who had their emotions removed? That was a great story... I wish YWG hadn't become so chaotic...

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:07 am
ohhewwo says...

cool. post some ideas.

Duskglimmer says...

*raises hand* Interested, I am. They tried to do something like this on another board that I'm a member of and it just never got started. So yeah... I'm more than ready to contribute...

Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:24 am
Sabine says...

like and Earth 2 thing? Or maybe you never heard of that show... I'm intersted. how many others?

A good artist should be isolated. If he isn't isolated, something is wrong.
— Orson Welles