z

Young Writers Society


12+

Knowing Gods chapter 1 (Third draft)

by occymay


Okay, here we go. So I'm hoping to send this off to some literacy agencies very soon but these two chapters have changed quite a bit so a final opinion would be great. I have gone through this several times so if you do notice things that need to changing or don't sound right, let me know ^_^ Thank you!

Chapter 1

Alara

He’d been sat there for days, dimly staring at the papers in front of him. As the day turned from pale gray to dazzling orange to golden yellow, the man still didn’t shift an inch.

“Adonai!”

An angel appeared in the man’s vision. Her mouth was held in a grimace, her muscles bulging and a tremble in her wings. Only then did he tear his gaze from the papers.

With a melancholy expression, as if everything in the world was wrong, he managed to mumble the words, “Tesia, please, I wish to be alone.”

“You have sulked long enough.” She countered.

“My people have died and I wish to mourn. I do not call that sulking, Tesia!” He bellowed, though his voice cracked halfway through.

“You are the God of tranquillity. You have a job to your people to keep them safe and you can’t do that sitting here feeling sorry for yourself. Now, you are going to get yourself up, washed and dressed so you can meet with Ash and Jade.”

He raised one eyebrow until Tesia slammed a little black book into his desk.

“It says so in your book, the thing you have neglected to look at for the past 3 days!” She shouted.

The smooth pages flicked against his thumb as he turned to today’s date. Scrawled there was indeed the words Meeting with Ash and Jade.

He sighed heavily. Today isn’t going well he thought.

The tension left her face and the edges of her lips creased slightly as she perched herself on the edge of the desk. “Look, I know these attacks were awful. They will be forever etched in my brain… but your people need you, the whole universe needs you.” She placed her hand on the side of his face and rubbed her thumb against his skin. “Come on, you need to get dressed.”

An hour later Adonai wandered slowly through the trees as amethyst leaves cascaded from the heavens around him. These leaves hung like grapes from a vast tree still a distance away. They rustled in the breeze, swaying in gentle circular moments. The tree, known as the Nevoo, stood proud and tall. Adonai craned his neck through he could not see the top as they were covered by the clouds. Unfortunately for Adonai that was his destination.

However, all this beauty couldn’t stop his thoughts from turning a bitter black. Adonai tried his best not to remember the carnage, though gradually they crept through his head.

The God of Chaos had been on the offensive over the last couple of months but three days past it had come to a head. Three of wizards and one witch had been killed in a brutal attack.

He swallowed the lump in his throat as a certain memory entered his mind. He tried, he really tried, not to think about it but it had already taken over and he was thrust back into the past. 8 billion past.

“Lucifer!” Adonai shouted. He peered into gaps, looking around the alcoves and sneaking up on unsuspecting plants. “Where are you, my little monkey?”

Why had he agreed to play this game again? Lucifer was too old to be playing these games yet here Adonai was, encouraging him!

As the laughter past, he travelled up the stairs to his father’s study.

As he approached the grand doors, he steadied his breathing and knocked. Minutes passed as Adonai waited, hands trembling with memories of broken arms and black bruises.

Knocking again, there was still no answer. Something was shuffling about, and another noise, one he couldn’t quite put his finger on. Pushing the door open so only a low creaked could be heard, he entered an unfamiliar place. Everything was coated in blood and as his eyes moved across the room he saw his father. He laid in the centre of the room, cold to the touch, the steady flow of his breathing non-existent. The cause was situated at the heart… a black ball of twisting matter eating away at what lay underneath.

As he surveyed the scene, his eyes resting on everything apart from what lay at the centre, he realised he wasn’t alone. Across the room, cloaked all in black, stood a figure.

“Lucifer?” he whispered, not knowing why he called for a brother who was clearly not there.

But the horrid thing was… that he stood right before him, blood dripping from his finger, jagged bones and severed skin protruding from his back.

“What have you done?” His voice cracked as Lucifer’s form disappeared.

Tears choked his throat as the memory of that day left him hollow inside. The day where everything changed. The day he realised his brother was no longer the innocent child he remembered. The day Adonai became the God of Tranquillity and Lucifer… the God of Chaos.

He halted, his knees felt weak and his breathing became uneven and shaky. Resting himself against the tree, he took deep, steady breaths. Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale. After a few minutes he heaved himself up and set about putting one foot in front of the others. Although unsteady at first he entered the clearly with none being the wiser.

He now stood right before the grand Nevoo. Its branches swooped down so close to the ground a child could easily reach and touch it rough surface.

The Nevoo wasn’t just a tree, it was a home. Upon its pale cream surface were hundreds of windows in which Adonai could see people. From the smells drifting towards him, it was almost lunch time. In the dining area, he could see many Alarians sat on cushions chatting and laughing to each other.

Birds sat high up in the tree tweeting to each other, filling the crisp air with their cheerful song. There were flowers upon the tree, all different varieties, lilies, roses, lotuses and many more. They varied in different shades from an electric shade of plum to a vivid scarlet.

Off in the distance, a class huddled around a dusty, beaten circle where two people were training.

There were no swords in sight, just two sets of fists constantly moving. The man sent a punch in the women’s direction with such force it made the air ripple. Wosh! However, the attack had left him wide open. The women dodged the attack with ease, effortlessly pivoting on her left foot and kicking out with her right. Dust was upheaved as the man fell to the floor, eyes wide, mouth hanging open.

As he was helped up, he managed to mutter “best of three?” The woman smirked, hands on hips, before saunteringaway.

“You're late by six hours,” someone behind Adonai said in a stern tone.

Jade, the Goddess of Nature, stood gazing at him with those luminous eyes, dazzling like emeralds. Her lips were tightly closed and her arms crossed but Adonai could see the laughter in her eyes.

Behind her stood Lily, Jade’s bodyguard. Her eyes were alert and constantly moving, accessing everything around her for sighs of potential danger. She eyed a group of males passing, glaring at one in particular who smiled back with a wink.

“Today hasn’t been favourable.” Or that was what Adonai wanted to express but instead he muttered “Sorry”.

Finally, Adonai arrived at the top. The room he was now in was homely, and as he moved further in warmth greeted him from a roaring fire. It gave him some comfort after crawling and clawing his way up the tree.

He looked over to where the man was settled by the fireplace. Ash, the God of Nature and Jade’s mate. Beside him proudly sat what appeared to be a monster. Well to put it nicely, he was a nenoba. He had a big, fluffy teal mane with turquoise stripes across his body and was as large hippo. Adonai approached the beast with careless steps, knelling in front of him.

“How’s my fluffy friend doing?” Adonai teased.

A growl emanated from the nenoba. The hair on its back ascending with outrage as its mouth peeled back to revel pink gums and razor-sharp teeth. Before Adonai realised the nenoba had already ponced, throwing Adonai to the floor.

Ash began to howl with laughter at Adonai’s wide eyes and pale complexion. “Watch it, Adonai, you’ll lose an arm.”

“Hmm, don’t tempt me, nephew,” the nenoba chortled, licking Adonai’s face with his bristled tongue.

“Hello Hu, mind letting me up?”

“Is that fear I hear in your voice? Is our little God scared of a big old pussycat?” he mocked in a high mocking voice.

Adonai rose unsteadily and trudge over to the window seat, wiping cat saliva off his face. As the hours ticked by, Ash and Jade sat in the corner holding hands, the world outside began to change. A steady trickle of people, like a colony of ants, filled the woodlands around the Nevoo.

Here in Alara, the season were changing from warm to a bitter cold. The flowers kept descending from the tree, drifting where the wind took them before landing on the water that surrounded the tree. The leaves of the tree had begun to darken and wither as a chill set into the air. Fewer animals could be distinguished within the dim lighting of the trees beyond.

Adonai’s mind drifted back to Lucifer. He had yet to tell them what had happened but he knew he couldn’t keep it from them. They took the news calmly, occasionally nodding their heads. He could see the turmoil within their eyes, the fearful glances, the bobbing of their throats. They held each other’s hands so tightly their knuckles were white. Once he was gone, he knew the true emotions would reveal themselves. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
61 Reviews


Points: 125
Reviews: 61

Donate
Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:08 pm
View Likes
Feltrix wrote a review...



Hi! Feltrix here for a review! I'll go through pointing out anything I would change, before doing an overview at the end.

I. Alara is the name of a plane in Magic: the Gathering, which might not be great if you're thinking of having this published.

II. "He’d been sat there for days, dimly staring at the papers in front of him." 'He'd been sat' is strange phrasing. Also, using 'dimly' isn't really necessary, and in Stephen King's On Writing, one of the biggest (and most painful) things he advised is to remove adverbs whenever possible.

III. "'You have sulked long enough.' She countered." There should be a comma after 'enough,' and the s in 'she' should be lowercase. Same in "He bellowed, though his voice cracked halfway through." The h in 'he' should be lowercase.

IV. "'You are the God of tranquillity.'" The g in god should be lowercase. This is always the case unless God is the name of the deity.

V. "Today isn't going well he thought." There should be a comma after the Today isn't going well.

VI. After Tesia says the second 'you need to get dressed' there's an hour long gap in storytelling. I'd put another space to show the time lapse.

VII. "An hour later Adonai wandered slowly through the trees..." Again with the deleting of adverbs. I wouldn't bother, but it you're showing it to a Literacy Agency, then I'd get rid of 'slowly.' If Adonai is wandering, we assume he is doing so slowly.

VIII. "He tried, he really tried, not to think about it but it had already taken over and he was thrust back into the past. 8 billion past." I'd remove the 'he really tried.' What do you mean '8 billion past?' 8 billion years ago? It's not really clear. And I would spell out all numbers.

IX. "Lucifer was too old to be playing these games yet here Adonai was, encouraging him!" There should be a comma between 'playing these games' and 'yet.'

X. When Adonai enters the room where his father was murdered, I want a bit more of a description than there's blood everywhere. And in the opening scene where it's just Adonai and Tesia, I'd like a bit more description of their surroundings.

XI. "The day Adonai became the God of Tranquillity and Lucifer… the God of Chaos." I'd replace the ... with a comma, because this is narration instead of dialogue.

XII. "Although unsteady at first he entered the clearly with none being the wiser." 'He entered the clearly' makes no sense. I assume you meant 'clearing' or something, but you and I both know that you can't enter an adverb.

XIII. "Its branches swooped down so close to the ground a child could easily reach and touch it rough surface." This has always been hard for me, but I think (and I could be wrong) that you need It's for the first word. And the second 'it,' actually.

XIV. "'best of three?'" Capitalize the 'best.' Please.

XV. “Sorry”. You know what needs to be fixed here.

XVI. "Finally, Adonai arrived at the top. The room he was now in was homely, and as he moved further in warmth greeted him from a roaring fire. It gave him some comfort after crawling and clawing his way up the tree." I'd like some more description here, too.

XVII. "...knelling in front of him." Kneeling.

XVIII. "Before Adonai realised the nenoba had already ponced, throwing Adonai to the floor." ...Huh?

XIX. "...he mocked in a high mocking voice." Too many 'mock's.

XX. "He had yet to tell them what had happened but he knew he couldn’t keep it from them." ...Tell them what happened Comma.

Overall, this is an excellent start to a book. There are places where I could use more descriptions, and the ending was a little vague, but this did an excellent job of telling me what the world and premise of the story where like. Good luck with your Literacy Agency!

Feltrix




occymay says...


Thank you for your review! I'm also thankful you pointed out grammatical errors because everyone says they're there but I can never see them XD



User avatar
373 Reviews


Points: 46306
Reviews: 373

Donate
Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:27 pm
View Likes
PrincessInk wrote a review...



Hi, I'm doing the promised review! Your worldbuilding is pretty good, and I can sense a villain here: Lucifer. I liked the way you made the gods human, despite their "ethereal" being.

For the flashback: typically it's not a particularly good idea to include flashbacks in the first few chapters. First of all, it's going into the past, and readers want to know what's happening in the present. This is especially important because this is still the beginning--it's the crucial point here, if you want the reader to move on. So my suggestion is to move the flashback later in the story, or when it's absolutely necessary to include it; for example, when Adonai and Lucifer (possibly) clash.

Hmm...the fight scene--between the man and woman--needs some pacing here. There's no need to expand it or make it more graphic. The problem here is that the fight scene moves too smoothly. Longer sentences take time to read, so maybe try shortening your sentences here slightly. A variety of long-short, long-short is nice to read, though, in other places. Honestly, though, I don't really see why you need the action scene here. If there's no specific purpose in developing this action scene(plot, worldbuilding, anything you need for your story), I would suggest cutting it.

In the beginning I can tell that Tesia is annoyed at Adonai because he's "sulking". Honestly, I also thought he was sulking as well, a little, because everybody else, it seems, is moving on. I don't mind sulky characters but, well, it's not that interesting to read about characters who mope around. I thought that perhaps you could start the scene, a little later. "Enter late and leave early" is a practical writing tip here.

So the first paragraph maybe needs to be a little specific. I don't really like to have opening paragraphs overload with details but here a little would have helped. This is just my personal opinion, but I would have liked to know the character's name from the first sentence. But that's just my preference and I don't know about others.

Dust was upheaved as the man fell to the floor, eyes wide, mouth hanging open.


Slightly awkward sentence. I'd rewrite it as,

Dust flew into the air as the man fell to the floor, eyes wide, mouth hanging open.


Finally, Adonai arrived at the top. The room he was now in was homely, and as he moved further in warmth greeted him from a roaring fire. It gave him some comfort after crawling and clawing his way up the tree.


A little more description here please :)? Like how homely? It's telling here, and some showing would be nice.

“Is that fear I hear in your voice? Is our little God scared of a big old pussycat?” he mocked in a high mocking voice.


The tag, I feel like, is unnecessary. You're already showing that this nenoba is mocking him, and besides, tags like "he mocked" or "he questioned" attract more attention to themselves than the dialogue itself.

The last paragraph had some telling. You didn't need to talk about the death scene because of the flashback, but maybe you could have Adonai state that Lucifer killed his parents in their conversation, have Jade and Ash show their reactions and emotions. I'm not too sure why Ash and Jade are holding hands--is it some romantic relationship or simply friendship? Because when I see people holding hands that's what I usually think.

For plot, I can definitely sense some revenge story here? But I'm not sure, as Adonai's the "God of Tranquility". But it might be interesting for his actions to contradict his status. The chapter was, overall, not too gripping here. I think you need more work in the beginning before you send it off to agents. Agents read so much MSs that you have to really grab their attention to get represented by them. So good luck in getting your book out there, and I hope you have a great time writing!

~Princess Ink~




occymay says...


Thank you for your review! Your points were really helpful and I'll see what I can do. Just to clarify, Ash and Jade are mated, that's why they are holding hands. Also, could you explain what you mean by "Enter late and leave early" when you talk about the first scene?



PrincessInk says...


Oh, what I mean is that don't open a scene too early on or close the scene after it's a good idea to end it. So what I mean: timing to begin/end a scene. :)



occymay says...


Oh okay :)



Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 75

Donate
Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:46 pm
View Likes
MeisterChan wrote a review...



Hey, Occymay! Scythe here for a review, as promised :)

First of all, I'll make some small nitpicky comments. This is a bit of a personal preference, but I would have loved to have seen a prologue before this. Whilst the story is fabulous, it does have so much going for it in the sense that there was so much detail, so it would have been awesome and more productive to have had a small introduction to the plot in the form of a prologue. None the less, it was still pretty easy to understand by itself so good job!

However, I was questioning something, but rather than being negative it was exceedingly positive! Here you've written:

“My people have died and I wish to mourn. I do not call that sulking, Tesia!” He bellowed, though his voice cracked halfway through.


Along with some other mentions of sadness and death. But who is dead? And Why?

It brings up intrigue and you haven't stated why so it's left me "on the edge of my seat"; I need to know why there is this sadness!


I have a slight problem with one of the characters:

Her mouth was held in a grimace, her muscles bulging and a tremble in her wings.


This character, Tesia, is first introduced when she appears trying to gain Adonai's attention, which follows onto this line. However, I have a problem with this. From this, she's presented as weak in a sense.

"A tremble in her wings" implies her nervousness or fear. Trembling is generally a movement caused by anxiety or fear, so I assumed she was in a situation to feel that way, which clearly was not the case because she is confronting Adonai, trying to convince him to attend to his duties. So the thought of her feeling fear is out of the question, so perhaps you've mistakenly used the wrong word. I would suggest using a different word, something that suggest anger or confrontation, because that was the aura I was picking up on. I would suggest something like twitch. Not the greatest suggestion, but it does provide a movement of annoyance so it would fit this moment.

Overall, I thought this was a great piece (Sorry I couldn't get around to reviewing it all - I'll come back when I can!) Good job!

-ScytheMeister




occymay says...


Thank you for your review ^_^ The tremble was trying to indicate how tightly she was holding her wings because she was so angry with him but I can see what you mean. This actually has a prologue but it's not immediately relevant to the plot. I have thought about swapping chapter 1 and 3 over. Chapter 3 gives you an insight into the antagonist so it might be better.



User avatar
378 Reviews


Points: 3775
Reviews: 378

Donate
Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:25 am
View Likes
Omni wrote a review...



Hey there occymay! I see you're wanting to send this off to some literary agencies, so I'll be fine-combing your work to see what I can find. Please don't take this as harsh or offensive. I'm just trying to help you prepare for what literary agents might say. Let's jump right in!

Adonai walked through the trees as pretty purple leaves fell from the heavens around him.


If you're wanting to hook people right in the beginning (as I'm only assuming agencies look for) then "walked" and "fell" are very boring verbs to do so, and "pretty" is a boring adjective for the leaves. Here's a list of words that can be used to replace walked: Sauntered, strolled, trudged, meandered, hiked, ambled.

^Just those few things provide the same idea, but also give a much clearer image, and the imagery is oh-so much more vivid.

Here's a list of words that can be used to replace pretty: Elegant or pleasant, but some other descriptions that pop are: Incandescent, luminous, radiant.

Now, let's make an example replacement sentence:

Idonai strolled through the trees as luminous purple leaves cascaded from the heavens around him.


I see rather bland adjectives and verbs scattered throughout the first parts. A thesaurus is your best friend here, and I'm sure agencies will notice the lack of particularly imaginative descriptive terms, such as incandescent above. Just putting a word like "incandescent" in your work will definitely show that, hey, you know how to describe things well.

they appeared to glow in the bright sunlight.


Be careful with adverbs like "appeared to" or "began to" when adding onto your verbs. It incapacitates your verb here, effectively ruining whatever imagery you're wanting to do here. Imagery is important, and I'm sure agencies will agree with me. If you can't effectively paint a scene for your reader, you basically aren't doing your job as an author. You want to deliver art in the form of words, and vivid imagery is the best way to do so.

This article explains this leagues better than I can.

Vines of a deep purple covered and the width and length of its bark.


You repeated "purple" here, as you used purple in the beginning to describe the leaves. See what I mean with the lack of inventive descriptions? Even changing purple here to violet would work better, but if you're wanting to use "deep purple" maybe try finding an actual name for the deep purple? Here's a quick guide to some variations of purple.

Another trap you're falling into is the term of "passive details". It's a side effect of not doing "Show, don't tell". Basically, this is a form of describing the scenery as that, a scene. You're not actively guiding the reader through the descriptions in the form of actions or dialogues. Let's take two examples:

Ethan walked into the room and saw a wooden bookcase. It was mahogany wood, but not sanded so it still gave a wild, ancient look to it.

~~~

Ethan tiptoed into the dimly lit room as he cautiously scanned it. A massive shelf towered in the corner, its solemn stance almost daring him to come closer. He brushed his hand across the sturdy shelf. It was rough, like it hadn't been sanded before, but that somehow intrigued him even more. "How long have you been here?" he sighed.


^These two examples are talking about the same two things: Ethan and a bookshelf. But, the major difference between them was the scene. In the first one, yes you had descriptions of the bookshelf, and some of them were actually decent enough. But in the second one, through the use of vivid imagery, personification of the bookshelf, and inner and outer dialogue, the scene came alive.

There's always a fine balance between "not enough" and "too much" but I think you could definitely add more descriptions and be okay.

over the last couple of months but yesterday it had come to head.


come to a head.*

It made it worst when it was your very own brother was behind it. Yes, poor Adonai had the devil as a younger brother. Lucifer…


I'm going to echo what the previous reviewer said that this was very out of the blue, and even worse, it felt like it was added in as side note, like a last minute addition. This sentence says that Adonai is sad about it, but the execution of that bombshell made it seem nonchalant. Like "oh yeah btw he's my bro. Sucks huh?"

Also, is his brother being the devil needed? Like, truly ask yourself that. What purpose does being the devil serve that being a rogue warlock doesn't? Because, specifically calling him Lucifer brings the huge migraine that is religion into this story. Also, the fact of his brother being the devil takes away from the shock that his brother was the one who killed these people to begin with. Like, with the whole reveal about it being the brother was muddled. Did you want us to be shocked that his younger brother was the one behind these murders, or did you want us to be shocked that his younger brother was the devil? You tried for both, and ultimately failed at both.

He thought of the times when Lucifer had been a strong, young boy who knew what was right from wrong. It was a long time ago but he remembered it as clearly as if it were just yesterday. Lucifer used to have a good heart until he found the path of evil which engulfed his soul and would never let go of him. He swallowed the lump in his throat as he remembered that fateful day.


I'm going to repeat the question: What purpose of the brother being the devil serve that being a rogue warlock wouldn't do?

“Lucifer!” Adonai shouted, looking around for his troublesome little brother. “Where are you, you little monkey.”


Oh, and just like that we're in a flashback. I know he was reminiscing, but it still felt a bit out of place for him to just have a flashback like this right then and there.

“What have you done, brother?” Adonai asked desperately as Lucifer’s dark form disappeared.


So, I don't know what this flashback served to do besides provide a plot point to the reader. This flashback doesn't give us a glimpse at how Lucifer was before he turned dark and evil, which was how I thought it was going to go. Flashbacks, as only a plot device, aren't a great thing. I would love to see a nice scene between the two brothers, like you mentioned about the game, but lengthen it. You focused more on the bit that Lucifer killed his father (God??) here than anything regarding how he was before this. I'd rather this be saved for late on if you're going to do that.

Rivers flowed gently and birds tweeted beautifully in the crisp morning air.


Beware of overusing adverbs! This article explains how adverbs can actually end up harming your writing.

There were flowers on the tree, all different varieties, lilies, roses, lotuses and so many that were native to Alara, all of them purple.


This is a long run-on sentence.

There were many different variations of flowers on the tree: lilies, roses, lotues, and so many more; all of them were native to Alara and different shades of purple.


^ while still a little wonky in the structure, it is grammatically correct now.

Upon the soft pale cream bark, there were windows that showed rooms each individual.


the second part of that sentence doesn't make sense. Are you wanting to say "there were windows that showed rooms for each individual."? Or "there were windows that showed individual rooms."?

As he was helped up he managed to mutter “best of three?”


Should be: As he was helped up, he managed to mutter, “Best of three?"

He turned around to see that part of the tree had opened up to reveal stairs. These stairs spanned right up to the hundred and fiftieth floor. Unfortunately for Adonai, the top floor was his destination. Jade, who had spoken just a moment ago, stood staring at him with those bright eyes, dazzling like green jewels.


The way this was worded makes me think the stairs spoke to him. If you're having dialogue, make sure to not divert to something else before you reveal who spoke. Here, you're giving the reader information that distracts from the dialogue and intrigue you just created with the person talking to him. Adonai can talk about the stairs after the conversation.

Behind her stood a woman. She was strong and highly intelligent, taking on anyone who dared hurt her lady. This was Lily, Jade’s bodyguard.


"Behind her stood Lily, her bodyguard. Lily was strong and highly intelligent, taking on anyone who dared hurt her lady."

Adonai wondered if he should tell Jade of what had happened. He was conflicted on what to do because when Lucifer started to move it may be reason for everyone to start dreading. It would only make Jade worry and that wasn’t a good thing. It was best for her not to know about Lucifer’s new movements but it was difficult keeping secrets.



Murder is something serious, why would Adonai keep this information from these people? He is very possibly endangering their lives. This reflects the nonchalant attitude that he gave when revealing his brother to be the devil. I half expect him to say "oh hey btw Jade my brother, y'know the devil, yeah he's murdering again."

Well to put it nicely, he was a nenoba, an odd and majestic mix of big cat.


He was a mix of a big cat and... what?

“How’s my fluffy friend doing?” Adonai said in a high pitch voice commonly used for babies and domestic cats.


What a weird description here. I'd recommend just "Adonai said"

Hu had once been a person only 20 million years ago until a demonic raid damaged his body beyond repair. His body was transferred into the nearest thing, a folly of love some would say. Though if Ash heard them, they wouldn’t be talking for a long while after.



This isn't really needed. This is just you dumping information on the reader that they will soon forget. It also creates a lot more question than it answers. Save this for a later chapter.

Ancients, an old race that lived among the trees, went about their daily duties trying to show off to the elders, who laughed at their attempts. They were a race of proud and strong warrior men and exceptional craftsman who could control nature like an extended limb.

Elders, a race of female healer/warrior females, sat on tree stumps reading books or tending to animal’s wounds. They seemed like gentle women now but come the training session they would become vicious creatures. Their healer skills turning into deadly weapons, their control over the human body a terrifying prospect.



Be careful of the "warrior man/healer woman" trope here. Agents today are looking for stories that are modern and pushing boundaries, not enforcing them. Are these actually different races, or just different genders of the same race? If they are, why is there a race of only one sex, unless the can reproduce with the same sex? I'd imagine this race would die fairly fast, since no offspring.

Also, before you say that this isn't a trope by countering it with "Hey, the women can be warriors as well!" then tell me this: Why even point out that they seem gentle first and warrior second? That just feeds into the "females are submissive and gentle while males are domineering and physical" stereotype. Why can't the males here be healers as well? Why are females here healers first and warriors second?

This is fine and dandy to put in your story, after all it is yours to do so. But, it will repel agents like none else.

Groups of elders and ancients went off to hunt. They wore traditional leather garments and handmade bows and swords. While the hunters set off, others sat around talking and crafting things for their children.


Again, this information isn't needed at this time. It just distracts from the scene, and matter, at hand.

Ash took the news better than expected, his warrior nature playing a role in his calm exterior. Jade, well, she was being a mother… and it was terrifying.


So, is Jade not a warrior? Also, what does "being a mother" mean in this regard, and how was it terrifying? Was she Lucifer's mother? And is "being a mother" just terrify you in general, because I don't know, to me, being motherly is very often not a bad thing, let alone terrifying.

This also has underlyings of sexism in my opinion. I can't quite explain it well (trust me, I've written and discarded my thoughts on this at least twice now) but, after reading that sentence, it doesn't sit well with me. Maybe it goes back to how sexist and stereotypical the "races" were earlier, but I really just recommend re-wording their reactions to the news a bit more to their personalities in general, and not being a warrior or being a mother.


Chapter One General Thoughts

Before this goes to an agent, I recommend a few things to consider if/when you revise it.

-Thesaurus: find better words to replace drab or dull verbs, nouns, or adjectives.
-Show, don't tell: Do less exposition and forge a scene that entrances your reader and pulls them in.
-Use vivid verbs: Verbs are the meat of any sentence. Capitalize on how powerful they can be.
-Beware passive verbs, passive adjectives, and adverbs: all of these can ruin the flow of a scene and weaken any strong verbs, action, and dialogue you have.


Most importantly, things I suggest to revamp or remove before sending this to any agents.
-Devil/Lucifer. This adds religion into the story, and not just any religion, but the largest religion in the world. This will over-complicate your story to the tenth degree because you have to research and tread through hundreds of pages (aka the Bible) of source material, and that doesn't include that hundreds of variations of Bibles that there have been throughout history. Adonai's name is even a variation of God. So, who's god here? Did Lucifer, upon killing his father, kill God? Is this a story about witches/wizards, Ancients/Elders, or angels/demons?
-Ancients/Elders. I've already explained why well enough above, but this is a trope trap. It's cliché, sexist, and won't sit well with many agents. Separating race based on abilities/gender is never a good way to go.

^I put these two things out because I wholeheartedly believe that you will not get agents while they're in the story, at least for a long time.

That being said, I do want to say that you have the base for a wonderful story here, but your focus is in the wrong. Is this story finished? That's where your focus should be right now, on finishing and creating a beautiful narrative. Write as a passion first, and money last.

Anyway, I'm going to end this review here, but I'll probably make another one on Chapter 2. For future reference, I suggest publishing these two chapters separately (if you don't have enough points, I'll gladly lend you some) as anything above 2000 words become hard to read and a terror to review.

The last thing I'll say is I do hope this review helps. I'm not trying to offend you or hurt you in any way. My focus here was to be as in-depth and truthful as I can be, since agents will be even more than I was. I hope this helped!




occymay says...


Thank you for your review! This review was really helpful, I'm really thankful you took the time to give me a really in-depth review ^_^ The only problem is the bit with the devil. In my story there is more than one god. You have the God of light, Adonai, the God of darkness, Lucifer and then the God and Goddess of nature, Ash and Jade. They represent the balance of life. If I took out all mention of the gods I wouldn't have a story, there would be no second or third book because it revolves around the gods.



Omni says...


I'd recommend changing Lucifer's name, then, and not associating him with the devil. That ought to clear up a lot off muddled and confusing religion you would have had to not walk on eggshells, otherwise.

Do you have any other questions? I'd love to have a conversation :D

(Also, a sidenote: I really encourage you to split up the chapters and post the second one as a separate literary work. Do you have enough points to do so?)



Omni says...


That ought to clear up a lot of*
have had to walk on eggshells*

It's late for me XD

I do want to review your second chapter btw, but it'd be much easier on me if it was a separate work ^^



occymay says...


I thought maybe just referring to him as Lucifer rather than the devil it might give more of an undertone of religion. This is because when I mentioned him before people were excited about idea of him being in it. Also taking away all other references like heaven and hell. I'll separate the two chapter now, I put them both on the same one because chapter two in my protfolio is actually chapter 3 and I was too lazy to change it. Do you me to PM you about the questions I have?



Omni says...


Sure, that'd be great!



Random avatar

Points: 325
Reviews: 1

Donate
Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:41 pm
View Likes
cleone wrote a review...



The premise that Satan is the little brother of Adonai seems a bit sudden, it would be better if you told the story of how he became Satan first, or introduced it more gradually; then it would seem a bit more meaningful.

Also, you should show rather than tell, as you just tell what's happening in this story often, like how you describe the purple leaves as pretty, or said "he smiled, but it wasn't his normally, happy smile." Describing how exactly the purple leaves are pretty, or describing his expression in a way that would imply his smile was different would make make the writing more interesting.

The characters seem like they're more archetypes than personality, also. If you just keep them the way they are, they'll seem a bit flat. Emma seems a bit exaggerated, so it would be better if you toned her down a bit, or gave her another trait to balance her out.

The writing style seems a bit non-descriptive and flippant, "I always went into my daydreams when life got a little too difficult. My dad said it made me creative, my teachers and mum said it made me lazy and hard to work with. Well, you can’t please the masses!" or "Leah hated being late. Most people thought she was a teacher’s pet, a goody two shoes. All I thought the first time I met her was wow, this girl is crazy! I guess that’s what drew me to her." It would be better if you made the internal monologue separate from fleshing out the story, or made it a bit more subtle. The kind of writing style you're using for these sentences and some others isn't bad, but it typically isn't compatible with dramatic stories, so even if it's intentional, it makes it seem a bit unprofessional.

There are also a lot of grammatical errors.

Other than that, this is great! Your writing is very eloquent, you have a very interesting plot set up, and I can really feel the emotion in this.




occymay says...


Thank you for your review! For your first point I thought about maybe swapping the chapter around, do you think that would help? Or was it more sudden within the chapter itself. Oh, just had a thought, the chapter after this is about the devil so mabye having it after that?




An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backwards. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that life's going to launch you into something great, so just focus and keep aiming.
— Unknown