12+ Language Violence

Occupational Hazard

by notsoangelicangel

Jared held open the thick oak door to our secret log cabin for me. I smiled sweetly at him.
“Thanks, handsome.” I said. I walked straight to the couch and fell onto it. The shotgun slipped from my fingers and fell to the floor right next to my foot. My head fell against the back of the couch. My eyes closed remembering the rush of hunting the demon. I felt the couch cushion sink down beside me. I turned and opened my eyes to see the warm hazel eyes of my boyfriend and partner. He grabbed my hand and squeezed it lightly.
“You look beat.” He stated. I knew what he was saying between the lines. He wanted me to get some sleep.
“I know.” I said in answer to what he said and what he implied. I pulled a leaf out of his hair. My lips curled into a playful smile. “I thought you moved past this ‘getting thing stuck in your hair’ phase.” I teased. Jared pulled a twig out of my hair.
“I could say the same thing to you, Mara.” he said. I kissed his nose and he grinned that grin that he knew made me melt.
“Whatever.” He stood up and stretched.
“I think I’ll, ah, take a shower right quick.” I pulled on the edge of his T-shirt.
“Don’t use all the hot water.” He threw his arm up and started walking away.
“One time. One time!” he reminded. I laughed. I grabbed the remote and turned on the cruddy old TV. Once Upon A Time was on so I absolutely could not change the channel. I thought that Snow White and Prince Charming were a lot like Jared and me. After about fifteen minutes, I heard the bathroom door open and the smell of Old Spice flooded the little cabin. I saw Jared in his sweat shorts and an old ratty black T-shirt. Jared sat down next to me and put his arm around me. I snuggled into him and put my head under his chin. I let out a content sigh. I felt him lean his cheek against the top of my head.
“What are you watching?” he asked.
“Once Upon A Time.”
“Do you want to shower?”
“Not quite yet.” He chuckled.
“Good.” We stayed there enjoying the other’s company. I realized it had been a while since we just sat still and just been with each other. We had been together, but we were driving and hunting and sleeping and investigating. I was glad for this moment to just relax with Jared.
“Okay. I need to shower. I feel so dirty next to you.” Jared laughed.
“That’s funny because it’s usually me who’s all grimy.” he said.
“I know. It’s so weird.” I stood up. Jared held onto my hand.
“Don’t dawdle.” I smiled.
“Says the one who used all the hot water.”
“How long are you going to keep that going?” he asked.
“Only until your reaction stops being so cute.” I kissed his forehead. Jared sighed happily. “I’ll make it quick.” I promised. I pulled a pair of sweats and a green tank top. I saw a towel and wash cloth waiting for me on the counter. I smiled. Jared was just the sweetest guy a girl could ask for. I closed the door and jumped into the shower. I washed, dried, and dressed in a record twelve minutes. I peeked into the living room. The TV was still on. I didn’t see Jared’s head. I just assumed he was lying down. I leaned over the back and he wasn’t there. “Jared?”I called. I didn’t get an answer. Something didn’t feel right. I walked around to the front of the couch to grab my shotgun. It was gone. I looked around the room. I found it on the other side of the room. I gripped the handle. It was warm which meant someone held it. I knew it couldn’t have been me. It was too long ago so it had to have been Jared. I could only thing of one reason why Jared would have my shotgun in his hands. Something had been here. I was only gone for twelve minutes. What could have happened in such a short amount of time? A weak knock at the door made me jump. I clutched my shotgun and closed my hand around the door knob. I took a deep breath and flung open the door. I aimed my gun at whatever on the other side. My eyes widened. “Jared?” I asked in disbelief. He was covered in gashes that came in sets of three. There was a particularly nasty on his left cheek. Some of his chestnut hair was sticky with what I assumed was blood. He seemed way too out of breathe. He leaned almost entirely on the door frame. “Jared, what happened to you?” I asked, panic rising.
“No time. Need to leave. Now.” he croaked.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:26 am
thewriterinside wrote a review...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! This piece was wonderful. It gripped me from the very beginning. Something that was particularly beautiful about this piece is that although I didn't know very much about the characters (Length of relationship, age, looks, ect), I still felt like I knew them. I could still see them fairly clearly, which is hard to do without a lot of detail. While I was reading this, my brother knocked on my door (which was closed), and I jumped about ten feet in the air. I had to restart my heart three times before I could write this critique.
One thing I could suggest would be to start sentences differently. Typically, your sentences start with "I" or "My", and reading sentences that start with "I" one after the other makes less of an impact. Try to focus more on showing instead of telling, and you're golden. I really enjoyed this piece, though. Excellent work. Cheers!

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:23 am
carbonCore wrote a review...

My suspension of disbelief was taut as a guitar wire by the end of the first sentence, and snapped completely in the middle of the second paragraph. Who drops their shotgun on the floor besides their feet, other than members of the Esteemed Society Of People With Too Many Feet?

It seemed to me, as I was reading this piece, that it started out as a story about demon hunters, and then quickly fell into the romance territory... and then remembered it was about demon hunters again. There is a lot of extraneous information bogging down the main story, and at the same time there isn't enough information to make a compelling story.

I will assume that your goal was writing a story about a couple who hunt demons together. What is needed to brew a successful story out of that formula? Well, there's a couple -- so there has to be chemistry and attraction between them. There's hunting -- so there needs to be an element of pursuing something, or of being pursued, of being watched, or watching, being under threat, or threatening something -- it builds up suspension and gives your characters a reason to go on. And there are demons, which need to be good, ugly villains who are easy to hate.

Right now, there is no real chemistry between your main characters. They are trite, two-dimensional, and empty. Using up all the hot water is too cosmopolitan of a concern to belong to someone who lives in a log cabin in the woods. Even if it was plausible, it doesn't add to the relationship between the two characters. Show their love! Show Jared shielding Mara with his chest from a demon. Show her dragging him out of the heat at the threat to her own life. Give me a reason to believe you when you say they love each other.

There's really not much involving hunting either, other than the mention of a shotgun. I don't feel safe, unsafe, or watched when I read this piece. I don't feel like I'm in a tiny island of safety in the middle of a dark, brooding forest with demons skulking about. I feel like I'm in an American suburb home. This takes one out of the illusion rather suddenly. Where are the birds? Where is their sudden silence when the audience holds their breath and listens for the tapping on the house's windows, from the long-taloned hand of a demon? Give me something to feel in this world.

Good job on the demon, however. I am glad you did not show it right away, because that left me to my imagination. All I know is that the demon has claws, three of them on one hand probably, and it goes for the face -- at the very least. Not the most original idea, but at least I can make up my own image of what it looks like. And then, later on, you can subvert my ideas by revealing the demon to be something unexpected, giving me a most wonderful twist.

Also -- when you write in first-person, don't say "My lips curled into a playful smile." Do you ever think to yourself, when you're smiling, "my lips curled into a playful smile"? How do you know it's playful? Do you always carry a mirror with you to check your smile quality? That's an element of third-person narration leaking into your first-person. The two are like beer and wine -- good by themselves, not so good when mixed.

Your shotgun,
cC

Rage wrote a review...

Hello there, I'm here to offer a review on this story.

I liked the plot of your story, at least what I've read so far (I'm assuming that this is an unfinished piece), it seems promising and looks like it'll be a lot of fun once you work on it.

I think you need to focus on avoiding cliches, such as when one character says, "Thanks, handsome" to the other. Another example of this is the whole discussion involving the hot water. I thought that was kind of strange and it it just made the dialogue kinda weird. Why would demon-hunters, who seemingly just came in from a raid or something involving demons, be having such a mundane conversation immediately after? Also work on making the dialogue clearer, sometimes I didn't know which character was saying what.

[[“Okay. I need to shower. I feel so dirty next to you.” Jared laughed.
“Don’t dawdle.” I smiled.
“Only until your reaction stops being so cute.” I kissed his forehead. Jared sighed happily. “I’ll make it quick.” I promised.]]

I found this whole section to be confusing, so do work on trying to make it more understandable to the reader.

Overall, I think that your story shows great potential. I like the characters and the storyline. Keep writing :-)

herbgirl wrote a review...

Okay, did I miss the beginning of the story?

There was a spelling mistake, but only one, and I already forgot what it was. So, obviously, it wasn't that important.

This story is amazing. it sort of pulls you in, makes you want to read more. I love the concept of a love story somewhere out in the sticks. I was kind of sad, at the end, when the peacefulness imploded with the sight of Jared all ripped up.Where do you get these ideas?

You didn't miss anything. I'll elaborate on some stuff later. As for the idea, I got it in school from some pictures on the walls. I'm very glad that you like it.

KrystaG wrote a review...

This was a sweet story, I love reading about couples. A couple who investigates paranormal activity is a great idea. This needs a couple of grammar fixes for sure, but other than that, what is he story about the hot water? This also left me hanging. Is there going to be a second one? Or am I never going to know who had the shot gun or why he was outside and covered in gashes and blood? This was a good beginning or even middle of a story but this needs a little more to it. Good luck! :*

I like to create sympathy for my characters, then set the monsters loose.
— Stephen King