z

Young Writers Society



Ode to the 8-bit

by nopersonal


Plumbers, monkeys, yellow dots with mouths
Frogs who brave the highways and rivers
Elves who throw swords and collect pieces of triangles
Invaders from space and the madness of marbles

Oh, all the time and quarters spent
Kids huddled around machines for hours
With a 2 liter of Mountain Dew
A pocket full of quarters
And a single dream

Time spent trying to get the high score
Trying to put your initials at the top
Right above the top holders:
A-S-S and S-U-X

Saturday nights, months worth of allowance in your sock
Down to your last quarter, last life
One more barrel to clear
One more ghost to avoid
One more ship to destroy
One more chance....


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 1

Donate
Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:39 pm
nopersonal says...



October Girl wrote:I like this, but no offence I fail to see your point in the matter, what's the emotion? What's the story behind it? How did it happen? Why should I care? Questions like that.


I wrote this for a creative writing class and decided to just post it on here.




Random avatar

Points: 890
Reviews: 12

Donate
Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:48 pm
CrazyBob says...



Makes me feel nostalgic. They don't make games like they used to, that's for sure. They're too easy nowadays. Nice, lightweight poem. Brings back some good memories.




User avatar


Points: 890
Reviews: 4

Donate
Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:05 am
Plushoriam wrote a review...



Firstly, I think you capture the essence of the 8-bit games pretty well here. If I'm right, did you include Mario, Donkey Kong, Pacman, Frogger, Zelda and Space Invaders? I couldn't think what the marble on was about...was that a reference to Pinball?

I particularly liked the bit about the high score names being A-S-S and S-U-X. I felt this added humour to the poem, which is a bonus in my books.

I feel you particularly captured the atmosphere of those Saturday nights. I don't have any personal experiences, seeing as I have lived in the UK all my life and not in the USA, but I felt the buzz. I like how you achieved that without going into too much detail.

I just wish it could have been a little longer!




User avatar
203 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 203

Donate
Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:56 am
October Girl says...



I like this, but no offence I fail to see your point in the matter, what's the emotion? What's the story behind it? How did it happen? Why should I care? Questions like that.





You are going to love some of your characters because they are you, or some facet of you, and you are going to hate some characters for the same reason.
— Anne Lamott