Home » Literary works » Article / Essay » General

Learning to Teach

by nmk1128

I've become increasingly disgusted in all this academic vacuum business, the wearying type, which, at first, appears as nothing more than a foolish college necessity, but as time persists, seemingly, molds a body into a singular cast. This type of thing, this shell, in it's completed state, encompass a victim who believes academia is equivalent to nirvana; however, the whisperer of such convoluted salvation, a propaganda, of sorts, is the academic and such bias should be taken as sincerely as a priest speaking on the matters of his god. Learning, as it were, is not particularly common. This idea reveals itself complexly, but as complexity goes, it's revelation is relatively simplistic.

In school, K-12, precisely, modern kids are bombarded with information, “learning”; however, this isn't that, learning, this is monotonous memorization, repetitive information being relearned and reheated to be shoved down the throat. In metaphor, the “teacher” is a faucet and the “student” is a sponge, the faucet runs off and subdues the sponge into a water carrying state, the watering being the “education”. Through due process – evaporation, natural sponge tenancies, and so on – it, the sponge, will dry up eventually, after the faucet ceases to trickle, and so the entire effort of the faucet, teacher, is for not. This, in essence, is not learning. This, in society's most amiable way, is programming; however, this isn't an idea of unanimity, this, sadly, is the majority: the uninterested.

The minority, I fondly bias, are more of cups, in a way, and when they situate themselves underneath the faucet they catch each molecular drop within their cylindrical container, up to a certain point, of course, for learning has it's limits. The minority's intimacy with learning doesn't come from some brilliant gene or peculiar upbringing, though it may help, but in a profound calling, an intimate interest, and Victorian education may not have a damn thing to do with it. This is to say that this fascination comes from life not education and from this statement one could conduct that education's greatest lessons may not necessarily come from a class room lead by a professional teacher, though some still may, but comes from a person's worldly experiences and own inner desires.

Declaring this, the teacher no longer accepts it's prior definition, in fact, it revolts for an edit, and I, your humble writer have been asked to compose it's meaning. Most would befuddle themselves with this task; however, I went about this issue as I went about the previous one, found in the first paragraph –calling it complex and reassuring it's simplicity. They are one in the same, learning and teacher, but, in a way, my definition for teacher can be summed up concisely, and I fear I have kept you, and it, waiting much too long, so I'll scribble it down below this chunk of text and you do what you will with it.

Teacher [tee-cher] n. anything – whether it be worldly or galactic, whether it be a person or a dust speck – that enlightens.

Hannah wrote a review...

Okay, oh my gosh. So first I have to say I'm here to make up for the fact that you got a santa deadbeat for the Secret Santa event, and I'll be giving you two reviews to make up for that, BUT OH MY GOSH THAT FINAL LINE. That line is so concise and right and true an beautiful, encompassing so much in so few words. I love it, and it definitely wouldn't have the same impact with all the exploration that came before.

But MAN have you got to edit that first section. I think the biggest issue with your introduction is that you might be trying a little too hard to make it sound smart. Your ideas are smart. Usually when we say people are trying too hard, it means they can't actually do what they're trying to do. You can. I know you can, because you are presenting deep and well-formed thoughts. You're just clouding them with way too many commas, academic word after academic word (some of which could be just as effective replaced with common ones), and winding winding sentences.

Break it down. Give us smaller sentences, and give us longer ones to get us in a rhythm other than a long, long, drone. You can do it. You have the potential; we all know it from your last line. I think you got tangled up because you feel so genuinely about this issue that all your feelings and thoughts are attacking you at once and you're just trying to wind your way through them with the sentence trailing behind you, so it left a mess.

If you're still interested in editing this, I'd suggest outlining what you want to present. What's the point of each paragraph? How does one lead to the next? After you have the basic skeleton, pick some details you NEED to communicate the essence of your argument. Use those details to build simpler but stronger sentences.

If you'd like to work through it more specifically with me, PM me about it. I don't know if you're still interested in this piece at all, so I won't go through line by line right now, but I'd be willing if you are.
Anyway, PM me if you have questions or comments, and I'm off to another of your pieces! (:

100xstupid wrote a review...

As an inspiring future teacher, I really felt this. Your speech is wonderfully eloquent and, although your sentencing is a little confusing at some times, you portray your message with strong clarity. In a way, this felt like a literary artistic piece, which may not be common of essays here- I'm not actually sure. Still, I really liked your message, as well as your use of analogy. It connected with me a lot because to enlighten and inspire as a teacher would make me very, very happy.

Hopefully, when I'm older, I'll be able to live up to your definition of a teacher. I had a conversation about this last week with some friends; we all agreed that the school system in the UK does too much to make kids memorise information for exams. Practical skills and the love of learning are both tragically neglected. It shocks me that nowhere in the syllabus is there a reason to care about a subject, as my ideal first lesson would always be a class discussion about why we should care. Because why should we, unless we're given a reason?

Anyway, bit of a tangent there, but well done for this, your essay style is intuitive and works well. I like it :D

ShadowKnight155 wrote a review...

"In school, K-12, precisely, modern kids are bombarded with information, 'learning'; however, this isn't that, learning, this is monotonous memorization, repetitive information being relearned and reheated to be shoved down the throat."

I'm not completely convinced on the use of a semi-colon here, though it has never been taught to me ;) . Perhaps this statement could be split up.

"...and I, your humble writer have.."

I'm told I suck at grammar, but if you read this aloud, it feels like you should <probably> (note my lack of confidence in grammar advice!) have a comma between writer and have.

I enjoyed your style, and for an essay, the structure was interesting. Some sentence length variation might make it a little more clear.

In terms of your theme and ideas, my question would be, what about these drones?, the people uninterested in learning? As humans, we are at our hearts very emotional, social, and competitive. So in our growing up years, which also happen to coincide with our schooling, doesn't it seem likely that relationships and drama are going to take some precedence? And what is it that creates passion?

I'm just posing some questions which I hope will help you in developing your point. This was a nice read, and you have a strong voice in your writing.

And to further reinforce your point on monotonous memorization and repetitive information: we have learned about US government twice, 3 times by the time I graduate (and obviously each time, we have pretty much forgotten all the details). We have learned about ancient civillizations twice, US history like ... agibijillian times (<-- scholarly). That's Civil War twice, revolutionary war about four times...

So if relearning and repeating doesn't teach us...?

--SKIS

The moral of Snow White is never eat apples.
— Lemony Snicket