z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

End of the war

by minakshimittal


The day she'll stop smiling

the smile she smiles right now..

Will be the day when others

will pray..."may she rest in 

peace", and bow...

Because the depression would have 

struck her hard..

And now she'll choose to end the 

war, of being an ace of the 

playing card..

Because depression wasn't there 

for the first time..

She had already tasted this 

sour lime.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
158 Reviews


Points: 6160
Reviews: 158

Donate
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:17 pm
View Likes
Hkumar wrote a review...



Hey Minakshi!
It was a short and simple poem but still I could feel strong vibes coming out of it. You chose a very intense idea of depression, something many people overlook as just a state of being sad and isolated but I know this a serious mental health issue!
I liked structure of your poem though I don't think use of so many periods is required but it's your choice so that's fine.
This small quoted line

"may she rest in peace"
felt very deep. The girl has succumbed to her sufferings and now people are just showing their pity and sympathy for her.
The war ended for her and she failed!
Because depression wasn't there
for the first time..
She had already tasted this
sour lime.

These lines were my favourite. This proved that she has suffered a lot before and now this depression came back to her.
I felt you have very well expressed your feelings in this short and beautiful poem.Well done!
Keep writing! :)




User avatar
6 Reviews


Points: 61
Reviews: 6

Donate
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:16 am
View Likes
bpmzcpl wrote a review...



This is so cool and very relatable. One question that I did have had to do with your periods. Is there a reason that you have three sometimes and two others. That really messes with my brain. But that is just a visual thing. The writing itself is phenomenal. Poetry is a very raw and full of emotion, so it can sometimes be hard to share... Thank you so much for sharing.






Hey! Thanks for the review @bpmzcpl !!
There's no reason behind the appearance of the periods. Actually on social media everything is accepted so I didn't realize that.
This was my first work. I'll make sure I improve day-by-day. And sorry that I messed up your brain. ^_^;
Thank you!



User avatar
17 Reviews


Points: 174
Reviews: 17

Donate
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:32 am
View Likes
Lethargic wrote a review...



This poem hit me like a ton of bricks. The implications here are devastating. This is some great stuff! I like that you didn’t go with obvious metaphors. The metaphor of a war is really smart! Also, I usually see poems like this be written from the focus character’s perspective, but you decided to go for the less obvious POV of an outsider. I think that works really well for you! The sole flaw for me is that you seemed to have tripped up the rhyme scheme for the final few lines. You only had one line in between the rhyming lines instead of two. But that’s just me nitpicking! Keep up the good work!






Hey! Thanks for the review @Lethargic !!
And the metaphor of the "war" is my favourite too. As this was my first work, I'll make sure that I improve day-by-day.
Thank you!



User avatar
8 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 8

Donate
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:16 pm
View Likes
theescaper020 wrote a review...



Hey,
I loved your work.
It struck me really hard. The emotional essence of the poem can be felt by the reader . How one can hide deep feelings inside and can fake a smile and fool the world is really touching. The rhyme scheme gives and extra touch to the poem. The poem really appealed to my heart to cry out loud. My favourite line is;
"Because depression wasn't there for the first time. She has already tasted this sour lime.
Great work.
Bravo.




larry says...


That was my favourite part as well.





Hey! Thanks for the review @theescaper020 !!
And you decrypted the emotions behind the lines very well.
Thank you!!





Thank you @larry for the appreciation. :)




The heavens laugh with you in your jubilee; my heart is at your festival.
— William Shakespeare