Breakfast in the year 4001

by methrirr123

I rose groggily to the sound of my alarm clock blaring obnoxiously, which I stupidly placed on the other side of the room. I had to get up, hit snooze, and then realize that I was already wide awake, and turn off the alarm clock. It would go off again in nine minutes anyway. My alarm clock was stupid that way. After turning off the alarm, I made to get dressed, but realized I was out of socks.So I went into the bathroom to shower, armed with my clean clothes, save socks, and showered. I, of course, used my sister's shampoo. It smells like strawberries. After that I promptly went into the dirty clothes hamper and pulled out some old socks. Nobody was gonna go around inspecting my socks, right? Besides, it wasn't the end of the world. So, having donned yesterdays socks, I went downstairs for breakfast. For breakfast I decided to make myself some eggs and bacon, using the grease from the bacon to keep the eggs from sticking. At least, that was the plan. I went and put the bacon on the counter to open the plastic. Immediately, as I took the entire thing out of the package so I could lay the strips down, It wriggled free, slipping from my hands onto the floor, and began squealing. Great, I thought. The bacon's come back to life again. Now that the ozone is gone, alot of things become difficult. For example, we have to get around through lead tubes, to avoid cancer. But even then, the water gets pretty screwed up due to polution.

"Mom!" I called. "Bacon's reanimated again!" I called. Then I saw my foot. Crap. "Also I found some skin cancer on my foot!"

"The cancer syrup is in the cupboard over the oven! And your father will handle the bacon!" she said. She was walking down the stairs already, her hair a wiry red rats nest.

"But mom," I said. "I don't like the taste of that cancer syrup. It's gross! Besides, it's skin cancer! Not throat cancer!"

"Now sweetie, the Cancer syrup also does mouth, and stomach cancer!"

"Ughh... Can't I just use the Canceraser bar?"

"Ok, sweetie. Hurry up, you don't want to be late for highschool." she said, as my eight year old sister came down stairs, blood dripping from her lips. She coughed and blood splattered all over the floor. The reanimated bacon ran through it and I groaned as it started tracking blood through the house.

"Great job, sis! We can't eat that now!" I said scornfully.

"Not my fault!" she said, her hands up in surrender. One had blood all over it. "I got lung cancer again! Where's the inhaler?"

"Where all of the other Cancer stuff is!" Mom and I said in unison.

"Sorry..." she said as she got up on the range top to reach the cupboard. Isighed as she knocked over the pan. A loud clang scared the crap out of the poor bacon, causing it to run into the wall and fall limp. It had gone dead again. "oopsie." she said, getting down and taking a breath of the inhalor. Instantly, she perked up, and went over to the family CAT scanner.

"Did you get it all, hon?" said Mom.

"Yep! All gone!"

"What about your foot?" she said to me. I had totally forgotten, and rubbed away the Skin cancer on my foot, and stepped into the CAT scanner.

"Got it." I said, as my Dad came down in his pajamas.

"What's all this noise?" he said, and then he saw the blood on the floor. He turned to my very bloody sister and asked "Did you get it sweetie?"

"YES, dad! Don't worry!" she said, exasperatedly. He nodded, and then saw the bacon.

"Damn organic crap bacon... keeps reanimating! Never have that problem with Stem-Cell Bacon!"

"Honey, we are teaching the kids to grow organic!" said my Mom.

"It tastes the same!" he said. Than he turned to me. "Did you have breakfast?"

"No!" I said. "The bacon reanimated before I could cook it!"

"I'll make you some eggs." he said, popping a pan on the rangetop. It instantly heated up.

"No, I really should go..." I said, as he cracked one into the pan, a small tyranosaur popping out and writhing around on the hot pan.

"GOD DAMN EGGS TO?! FUCKING ORGANIC..."

"Now, honey..." Mom began, but I left for school before she could finish.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:56 am
Butterfly18 says...

Ok I couldn't get past the alarm clock.

It's year 4001. Would they really have alarm clocks with snooze buttons by then?
I doubt it.

Sorry. Couldn't read beyond that. It didn't seem realistic so I just assume none of what follows will be either. That's how important openings are. :(

Hope this helps.

methrirr123 says...

... I hope you can understand why I didn't take this review seriously, seeing as how you didn't even read past the first few sentences.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:11 am
Shearwater wrote a review...

Okay...

My first initial reaction after I read this was: WHAT is going on.
So you get a nice big red check mark next to interesting introduction.

This is very weird, very, very, very weird but it's also funny, made me laugh but also made me scared.

Now, I am writing a review and I like to go by segments so bear with me.

Writing:
One of the main things I found right away with your style is that you tend to ‘tell’ everything. I did this, I did that, I said, I called, I ran, I shouted. It creates a very narrow vision and essentially, you’re feeding your readers scraps. Give me more, I say! Try to add in some extra description, some imagery and such to help readers visualize your story. Don’t just tell us - show us with your words.

There are also grammar and punctuation errors in this piece. Most of them to do with proper dialogue punctuation and commas. No worries, this is usually confusing but if you brush up on the rules, you'll realize it's not too hard.

You also used a lot of 'said' in here. Said is good and easy but too much said makes it rather boring to read over and over again. That said, try to vary some of the tags. Ex:
"Is that bacon...running?" I asked.
"Pass me the eggs!" I commanded.
"Tell your sister to pass the salt," mom requested.
"I said she said that already," I said. (Said is still the number one awesome tag because its easily read over. Using too many varied tags can be disastrous so you have to find a good medium.)

Characters:
Since you’re writing a short story, characters need more focus! I know this is simply a scene of a family having a breakfast adventure in the future but it would be even better if you gave us some information on your characters. Since it’s written in first person perspective, we should get to know the narrator a little more than the rest of the family but I felt disconnected to her. You don’t need to stuff in a life story into this short piece but a snippet of personality never hurts. If you can relate it to having cancerous breakfast, that’s even better…or worse.

And what about the other members of the family? It seemed like they were all in hurry and scrambling to get things done and get out of the house so what was the big rush? Is it always like that? Consider asking some questions and then try to answer them in your writing.

Story:
The overall aspect to this story is…cancer. There was some cringe-worthy moments like the 8 year old who was coughing up blood and no one seemed to really care. What kind of life is this? I want to know more about the norms. I felt like you had a pretty interesting depiction of the future and it’s tie to cancer but you also fell short a few inches when it came to explaining it in a way that is understood.

What I did understand from this story is that apparently, cancer will take over the world because there’s no cure? It’ll become such a normal thing that you’ll be admonishing kids for coughing up blood on the stairs and yelling at bacon? If I look at it this way, this future is extremely dark and it’s not funny anymore.

Where did the empathy go? What’s up with the organic things? The bacon can…walk? These little things are all so interesting and I want to know more about them and how you’re picturing this future but that’ll need more words, more length, more descriptions and information. That said, do not fear making this longer if you must and get your entire point across.

This is still good but it’s more of a work in progress in my eyes. Keep at it and let me know if you need anything.

All the best,
-S

methrirr123 says...

did it wierd you out? then it did exactly what it was supposed to.

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:55 am
Nike wrote a review...

Hellooooo. I'm Nike.

My review: I loved this story. It was brilliant. The whole idea to create something like this, wow. I like that you pushed us into the future.

Your description was great. I could actually imagine the bacon jumping.

I was really disgusted by the blood coming out of the sisters throat though. It made me sick. But, that's good descriptions for you... And the fact that I practically barf at the thought of blood.

I liked how you made cancer seem like a normal thing. It was shocking but impressive and the idea of the Bacon coming to life.

Grammar/spelling: Good
Flow: Good
Plot: Good

Overall: Great story. I loved this, a lot.

I hope you write more to this. I'd want to see how they live their lives.

Keep writing! Tell me when you write more. Or if you write anything else. I'd like to read more from you.

Nike :)

"We're just all nosy little busybodies."
— SirenCymbaline the Kiwi