z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A good girl

by mckeownm


I’m a good girl

I’ll work my very best

Study hard

I’ll get no rest

But when the day comes

To sit out the test

I’ll be careful to slack

The boys must be best

I’m a good girl

I’ll wear what they say

“That shirt too short”

I’d change it any day

“That dress too long”

I swear I won’t get it wrong

Don't tempt the boys

I’ll follow them along

I’m a good girl

I’ll cross my legs

Smile and wave even

On the worst days

I’ll clean and cook

And feed them all

Won’t bother with books

When the boys need to grow tall

I’m a good girl

I’ll grow out my hair

Shave my legs

Perfect that “flirty stare”

Paint my nails and

Powder my face

Carry a purse and

Do it all with good grace

I’m a good girl

But what they don’t know

The more I smile

The more it grows

The worm in my chest

I’m afraid it’s bitten the best

of me

I’m a good girl -

you know the rest


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
52 Reviews


Points: 1689
Reviews: 52

Donate
Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:01 pm
LeutnantSchweinehund wrote a review...



It flows rather well, I think. This is better than most things I find on the site, especially since MOST of the rhymes aren't forced. Sure, there are a few missteps, places where you sacrifice rhythm for rhyme (example: "That dress is too long, I swear I won't get it wrong", the rhythm is slightly broken there, because the second line is too long, in my opinion), but it is rather well-written overall.

Now, because it's a good piece, it pains me so much more that I cannot agree with its message. I won't mix my personal political views into the review, but the content is also important. However, know that it does not affect its quality in any significant way, at least not for me.

So, to summarize, it's very well written, the rhymes work, the topic isn't a classic breakup story (and good God have there been so many of those), and other than a few mistakes here and there, I cannot find any significant flaws. I don't agree with its message, but I can overlook that in favor of the poem's raw quality.

Good work!




mckeownm says...


Thank you for your review!! I promise I'm not a psycho feminist :)



User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 1454
Reviews: 44

Donate
Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:30 pm
CharlotteS wrote a review...



Wow, this was certainly interesting. I love how it rhymes. I don't find many poems like that so well done. Any way, I like the message in this, although I would say it's very feminist. However I like it. I love how you just went on and said what you needed to say. I actually have no critique for this because I found it just beautiful. Just make sure you don't come off as sexist because at times it does seem like you are being a bit bitter. However I liked this and hope to read more from you.




mckeownm says...


Yeah I'm pretty self conscious of this poem because I really don't want to com across as over aggressive - but I feel like changing the tone would result in a lose of the mood and rhyme.

Anyways, thank you for your review!



CharlotteS says...


Any time.




In the winter months, gale storms in Svalbard can reach wind speeds of 130 km/h. Accompanied by or following snowfall, such storms can reduce visibility dramatically, more so in the winter months of the polar night. During these storms, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian