Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

by mazerette

Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

OCD is not a guy who keeps his room neat, or a girl with organized binders. OCD is not washing the dishes, or that weirdo who always carries Germ-X. OCD is a girl with dermatillomania, something most people have never even heard of. OCD is getting strange looks when you repeatedly wipe your hands together. OCD is sitting in your car because you put your wallet away only to get it back out and make sure your debit card is still where you put it. OCD is endless paranoia, like when you were a child and you knew that tree shadow outside your window was really a monster coming to eat you. OCD is the rape victim who says nothing, because this is a perfect world and rape does not happen in a perfect world. OCD is looking in the mirror every chance you get, avoiding the task at hand because you have to make sure you look perfect even though someone will see and think you’re super vain. OCD is typing notes in class instead of writing because everyone comments on your sloppy handwriting. OCD is picking your nails off because they feel strange, because one is longer, because one is chipped. OCD is not some joke that only affects weirdos who are magically cured by pills in a bottle. OCD affects that person you see every day but never actually think of, and those pills don’t cure they make us the living dead. Sleepy, dizzy, lightheaded, fatigued. OCD is not a thing I have ever spoken of to my family, because they would only roll their eyes and make a joke. Even though I’m the weirdo who always carries Germ-X, the girl with dermatillomania, the freak who won’t stop rubbing her hands together. I’m just being dramatic, because you don’t see me in my car, or blinded by fear when I am in the dark. You don’t see the paranoia, I didn’t tell you about the rape or the burn marks or how his eyes looking down on me haunt me every damn day. How I can no longer watch certain movies or listen to certain songs or go certain places. You see a dramatic teenager. You don’t see the OCD.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:09 pm
Shady wrote a review...

Hey mazerette,

Shady here with a review for you this fine day!

This is a really interesting piece. I don't have OCD, but it's very informative and eye-opening. I know a bit about OCD beyond the ridiculous stereotypes portrayed in media, but not the other bits you mentioned -- especially the part about rape. That one didn't make sense to me, and if it actually happened to you then I urge you to tell someone -- OCD or not, that is not an okay thing to have happen to you, and the monster who attacked you shouldn't get off without punishment.

Referring to the piece itself, however, I suggest you split it up into paragraphs. It's fairly short, so I decided to go ahead and read it -- but if it was a longer piece, then just one big chunk of text is intimidating. Breaking written works into paragraphs makes it easier for our minds to process what's being said.

Stylistically, I don't have any critiques. Your spelling and grammar seem fairly perfect, and your ideas are interesting and well-written. I am curious what the purpose of it is, though? Just getting your thoughts out, or for an essay, or...?

Anyhow, I'll end this here because I don't really have helpful suggestions beyond this.

~Shady 8)

mazerette says...

I usually just write to get stuff off my chest. Thanks for the review!

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:17 am
Radrook wrote a review...

Radrook here top provide a review. Please note that I try to help and not offend. However if by any chance I dio offend, you have my apologies beforehand for that indiscretion. The composition focuses on OCD and very graphically describes how it drastically affects the victim. It also describes how people can misunderstabnd the symptoms.

OCD can definitely incapacitate a person by interfering with the person’s social interactions withy his environment and with others on a social basis. A person preoccupied with intense concerns can’t be expected to excel at tasks that require unwavering concentration. The obsessive thoughts will tend to short-circuit the concentration causing the person to have to start again or take up where he left off.

That’s like taking three steps forward and one backwards over and over. The frustration involved is indeed traumatic and definitely no laughing matter. Unfortunately, the untrained or ignorant simply dismiss such behavior under the generic category if crazy. Others, such as the one described in the composition might just say it it a personality quirk typical of a certain age. It is understandable that such a reaction is frustrating to the sufferer. It also prevents those in charge of a minor from getting hin or her the required medical help. Such help can be in the form of medication which restores certain chemical imbalances and prevents obsessive thoughts from recurring.

Kinds of Medications that might Help OCD
https://iocdf.org/about-ocd/treatment/meds/

Thanks for writing this composition in order to help dispell the misunderstandings.

Suggestion:

The use of paragaphs and othe spacings would greatrly improve readability. Otherwise the block of text on the page is intimidating and discourages a reading.

mazerette says...

Thanks, this is just a stream of consciousness piece so it wasn't intended to have any structure other than what it was originally written with. Thanks for reading, no offense taken. Very good explanation of OCD.

Radrook says...

Stream of consciousness can still benefit from paragraphing.

Poetry is a phantom script telling how rainbows are made and why they go away.
— Carl Sandburg