It Could've Been Me: Ch3 (draft 2 version)

by Charm

Reversed

I tossed around in my bed all night trying to fall asleep but I just couldn’t. I had kicked off the blankets and pulled them over my shivering body repeatedly, and run my hands through my hands a million times. All I could think about was the strange feeling of changing time. It felt like the world was slipping away without my control. Whenever I closed my eyes I could feel the world slipping away slightly but it was just my imagination because when I opened my eyes I was still in my dark bedroom. Like a room was packed full of water and I opened the front door. The water kept rushing out and I couldn’t close push it back in. How did it happen? How did I do it? Tears traveled down my face as I remembered my failing attempt. I could’ve dated Jack. I could’ve changed the past.

I sniffled and grabbed my phone from my bedside table. The phone rung against my ear as I called Westcott. I didn’t really expect him to answer but I wanted to talk to someone being alone with my thoughts was torture.

“Hello?” he groaned sleepily from across the line, “Stella. It’s fucking two in the morning.”

“I”m sorry,” I whined, cringing at myself, “I can’t sleep.” It was my way of telling Westcott I needed him. I almost always needed him but rarely let him know.. He sort of always made it easy for me to depend on him.

“No, it’s fine,” he yawned, “What’s up?”

“I don’t know. I’m just having a rough night,” I sighed, rubbing my sleepy eyes and thinking about how rough my night was. Not many people stay up all night worrying about their magical powers.

“Was it that old box?” Westcott chuckled. He laughed warmly in my ear, “You’ve always been so nostalgic…”

“Yeah, I guess it was.” I smiled, genuinely. Westcott always had a way of making me feel better. I remember this time when we were younger and I lied to my parents. I was sobbing with guilt but he hugged me and reminded me that it was good that I admitted to my lie. I think I lied about eating candy before dinner or something. He’s always teased me as well but never harshly. No, that was Jack. Westcott’s always been gentle. I thought of going back in time again. The thought kept relapsing in my mind. It happened because of the picture I’m sure of it. Maybe I can do it again. “Hey...do you have any more pictures like the one I found today?”

“Um...probably I’ll have to ask my mom,” Westcott spoke, confused by my question, “Why?” I didn’t want to tell him. At least not yet, I reasoned with myself. I’d sound like a crazy person telling Westcott I can time travel. He also already thinks I’m obsessed with Jack. What is he going to think if I tell him I’m trying to change my past to end up with Jack. I’d sound psychotic!

“Bring them to school tomorrow!” I demanded enthusiastically. I can do it again I’m sure. I hung up the phone.

***

“Wow, you really did have a rough night,” Westcott laughed when he saw the baggage my face was carrying. Truthfully, I didn’t have time that morning to put makeup on or to even care about my appearance. It’s not like it matters. I’m going to travel back in time and my appearance will change anyway.

“Oh, ha-ha,” I snorted and rolled my eyes.

Westcott laughed and handed me the photo album he promised last night, “I think you’re turning into my mother. This new obsession with photos.” He teased lightly.

“It’s not an obsession,” I correct, “It’s an interest. Anyway, thanks.” Westcott's eyes moved from my face and were staring behind me. I followed his glance to see Jack and Celeste walking into school together, smiling. “I’m going to fix things,” I whispered. Westcott looked at me, shocked and curious. His eyes were staring into mine trying to understand something. My sudden change of heart confused him. It confused me.

The school bell rang and all the students turned into moths attracted to light. Quiet, morning mutters traveled with the wind as the cluster of high schoolers tried to make it through double doors. “Thanks again,” I smiled and hurried to class along with my fellow students.

*** I opened the photo album when I was sitting in class. There’s no reason for me to pay attention now because I will take this class again, I laughed to myself. It felt oddly magical. I felt oddly magical. I had a new purpose; a new drive. I was going to save myself in this comic book story.

The photo album was made of black leather that felt smooth against my fingertips. The photos were displayed in clear plastic. I studied them, lightly. One of the photographs caught my eye. It was a group photo taken during Halloween two years ago. We were all dressed up and in funny poses. Westcott was a vampire displaying his bloody teeth and Darla standing next to him was a white witch doing a Vogue face. I smiled from the other side of the picture dressed up as Red Riding Hood and Jack was next to me as Spider Man, pretending to shoot web from his fingers. From my memory, I knew that picture took place a few months before Jack confessed. Too early.

I moved on and looked at another picture. I assumed it was taken by Westcott as he wasn’t in the picture and it was his mother who owned the album. In the photograph, I was sitting in my desk in one of our middle school classrooms. Jack sat in front of me and was smiling. I could tell it was snack based on the food on everyone's desks, the people standing in social circles, and the people in mid-laugh.

I took a deep breath and focused on the memory the image created. The morning banter about who slept with who and at what party surrounding me turned into boys bursting with nerdy passion over Minecraft. My desk changed too from being the in center of the room to being next to the window. I looked up to see Jack’s black hair, silky smooth in front of me. This is it! I thought eagerly. I was amazed it worked.

I smiled and poked him on the shoulder. Jack turned around with a slight smirk, happy to talk to me. Oh, how I miss those days... “Yeah?”

“What day is it?” I asked, talking to him as if he hasn’t ignored me for years. As if he really was my best friend and as if we really were interested in each other.

“The twenty-fourth,” a laugh erupted from his chest, “Mr. Copper just told Stephanie that.” He shook his head at me. Yes, I am a natural dreamer but this isn’t a consequence of that. It’s because I don’t remember, I found comfort in speaking my mind in my mind.

“Of?” I pushed him to tell me more. Admittedly, my voice was a little higher than usual and I was definitely smiling as cutely as I possibly could. I kind of remember know, why everyone already assumed we were dating.

“It’s April twenty-fourth, two thousand and fifteen,” Jack shook his head at me with a grin.

“I rarely listen,” I smiled shyly and looked around the room. Like Jack said, Stephanie Tanli sat in front of Mr. Copper’s desk twirling her hair as eyed him with infatuated eyes. I never got people who got crushes on teachers. They’re teachers. I looked around for Westcott or whoever held the camera but found no one. “Where’s West?”

Jack raised an eyebrow, “He isn’t in this class.”

“Well, who took the picture then?” I blundered out without thinking and immediately regretted it.

“Picture?” Jack was really confused now.

I began to panic. My palms sweated and my mind was trying to keep up with what was coming out of my unfiltered mouth. I can’t fuck up again. “Oh, nevermind,” I laughed nervously and looked away. I felt like I was slowly sinking in a quicksand mixture of guilt and regret.

“Okay…” Jack turned back around. Once he stopped looking at me, I ran both of my hands through my hair and sighed. Idiot, idiot, idiot!

Think, I commanded myself. I can’t mess up this time. It’s mid April and Jack asked me during the summer. Right! I remembered, Westcott threw an end of middle school “party” at his house. That’s why we were all there that day. It was after school on the last day of eighth grade.

“Hey Jack?” I asked again. My voice barely coming out like a squeak.

Jack turned around again, ready to answer another one of my questions. “Yeah?”

“What day does school end again?” I nervously tucked my hair behind my ear. I’ve always done it whenever I’m anxious and more specifically keeping a secret. It’s a good thing Jack is not good at noticing little things. Shit, if it was Westcott instead I’d be having to make up an explanation to my odd questions.

“May twenty-fifth,” Jack turned his body around to face me directly, “Is something wrong?” Jack lacking in observatory skills didn’t stop him from realizing my questions and tone of voice was weird. Shit.

I laughed and hoped it didn’t seem nervous. “I just wanted to know. You know, I’m not good with dates.” Jack nodded and faced forward again. I bit my lip.

The end of school was a month away and I wasn’t sure if I wanted to relive that much of my middle school years. Perhaps, I can go back to the future and find a picture taken closer. But, why waste a time travel? I reasoned with myself, Maybe I can do something to affect Jack and I relationship.

Maybe...I can confess.

***

I waited until lunch. I had a hard time remembering my eighth grade schedule but Jack helped me. Even Jack could tell something was up but I was glad he didn’t push me to tell him. Jack was even standing outside of my history class when the lunch bell rang. I was grateful for his help.

“Hey!” Jack grinned and I smiled a friendly 'hello'.

“Can I talk to you?” I asked, the question caused my stomach to turn knowing what I was about to do. Even though I knew how Jack felt for me, confessing my feelings was still hard. There was still the possibility of him regretting me. It ate away at me from the inside.

Jack followed me as I walked outside in the courtyard until I stopped walking under a tree. It was a beautiful April day. The trees were lush and blooming with flowers. The air was warm and salty from the ocean. I leaned against the rough bark of the oak tree and looked Jack in his milk chocolate colored eyes.

“You wanted to talk?” Jack looked down at his feet. He was shifting them against the gravel, kicking slightly at the weeds that grew out of the cracks. Jack was nervous.

“Yeah,” I breathed out and tried to think of where to start but it was hard. It’s hard to admit something you’ve buried inside of yourself. I tried to think of what to say and how to say it. But even thinking about it made my palms sweat. There was nothing I wanted more in that moment than to crawl into bed and forget that situation ever happened. It took awhile for me to build up the courage but it was now or never, and the words tumbled out.“I... like you.” I pierced my lips and tried to read Jack.

It took him a moment. I could tell. His eyes still locked with mine narrowed in confusion and then looked back down at his red converse. His hands were in his pockets and his feet were still shifting slightly. It took him a moment, but then he answered, “Look,” Jack started but then he paused for a minute. He looked up at the tree branches above, avoiding eye contact, and struggled to find the words just as I had. “Stella. I like you too but I don’t know if I like you like that.” I narrowed my eyes this time and gaped. My heart shattered like glass, debris cutting me from the inside, slicing my throat impairing my speech. I couldn’t respond. I couldn’t move. I couldn’t breathe. It was like a black hole formed from Jack’s words and was sucking the entirely of my world into its dark abyss.

What?

He bit his lip waiting for me to answer. I didn’t.

Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:58 pm
VintageGalaxy says...

I have been so excited for this! Love it so much. This is probably my favorite story I have read on here. Anyway, review time.

1. "...and run my hands through my hands a million times." I think you might have had a typo here. I think you should run this through a spell check program just to make sure you have no spelling errors.

2. You have a few grammatical errors in here. I won't go through them, but just be aware that they are there.

3. “'Yeah, I guess it was.' I smiled, genuinely. Westcott always had a way of making me feel better. I remember this time when we were younger and I lied to my parents. I was sobbing with guilt but he hugged me and reminded me that it was good that I admitted to my lie. I think I lied about eating candy before dinner or something. He’s always teased me as well but never harshly. No, that was Jack. Westcott’s always been gentle. I thought of going back in time again. The thought kept relapsing in my mind. It happened because of the picture I’m sure of it. Maybe I can do it again. 'Hey...do you have any more pictures like the one I found today?'"
This paragraph is kind of confusing. It definitely needs a lot of work. I don't really know what or who you're talking about. Just clear that up a bit.

4. When Stella is having her conversation with Jack after she time travels, I would like you to exaggerate her emotion. This is her chance after all. This is a huge part of this chapter, so you should really have your character react.

5. The ending feels a little rushed. Not too bad, but still rushed. This is a key point in your story, you want to give it plenty of detail.

All in all, great job. Just a few tweaks should be good. Love your story, I'll be waiting for more!
-VintageGalaxy

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:44 pm
Biluata wrote a review...

Hello there! Luata here for a review. Admittedly, I've never really reviewed novel chapters, but I'll give it my best shot. Since I don't think that I've reviewed you before, I'll give you my usual run-down. First, you are the author, not me, so take any suggestions as you wish (use them, ignore them, or contest them) and if you have any questions or want me to elaborate on something , please send me a PM or drop a comment and I'll be more than delighted to help. Two, I like to split my reviews into sections for easy reading, so you should be able to see section headers in bold and my corrections in red and the way I might rewrite a particular section of text in blue . Onward and upwards!

First Impressions

When I first read through this, I was intrigued. Most time-travel stories have people doing it for a greater good or out of pure curiosity, I have yet to see someone trying to time travel back to maintain/fix a broken relationship. I find this interesting because you took a really cheesy idea and made it into something new. I liked the character development, though personally, I think you make use of a lot of short sentences and I'd like to see more flow with them (but perhaps that is just because poetry is my genre of choice). Maybe work on combining some of your shorter sentences into longer ones? I think that could work wonders on this particular piece, but again, that is my personal aesthetic, so take it or leave it as you see fit. Of course, if you want me to elaborate on anything, please let me know. Let me know if you disagree with something I say as well, I'm always looking on how to improve my reviewing process!

Characters/Character Development

I think that you did a fantastic job with character development in this piece!!

“Stella. I like you too but I don’t know if I like you like that.” I narrowed my eyes this time and gaped. My heart shattered like glass, debris cutting me from the inside, slicing my throat impairing my speech. I couldn’t respond. I couldn’t move. I couldn’t breathe. It was like a black hole formed from Jack’s words and was sucking the entirely of my world into its dark abyss.
I found this particular section to be a particularly good example of that and fantastic job with articulating a very difficult emotion into words. I would; however, caution you about wordy metaphors. Though they serve your purpose and serve it well, it is very easy to overuse them and turn a good idea into a cheesy one. I know because I've done it dozens of times!

My only other suggestion would be working on expression. Show don't tell, as my English teacher tells me without fail. Trust your reader a bit to figure things out and besides, a little bit of vagueness here only adds to the mystery of your plot (but ... yeah. I'm not professional and my writing isn't that fantastic, so take or leave that particular point).

Grammar/Flow/Structure

and run my hands through my hands a million times.
I think you either meant to write "and ran my hands through my hands" or "and rung my hands through my hands" because what you have written doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

It felt like the world was slipping away without my control. Whenever I closed my eyes I could feel the world slipping away slightly but it was just my imagination because when I opened my eyes I was still in my dark bedroom. Like a room was packed full of water and I opened the front door. The water kept rushing out and I couldn’t close push it back in.
Okay. Sorry to sound so nitpicky, but this paragraph gave me a bit of grief. What I'm seeing here is a lot of really great writing but it is very convoluted. I would condense and make sure you're arranging your description in a logical order. It will help greatly with flow and I think that that movement will help move your story along. I (personally, as a matter of my aesthetic, so take it however you please) would rewrite it as thus: It felt like the world was slipping away; whenever I closed my eyes I could feel the world (insert another verb here other than "slipping" since you already used it in the previous sentence) slightly, but it was just my imagination. When I opened my eyes, I was still in my dark bedroom, yet it felt as though the room was full of water and when I opened the front door, it came flooding out and I couldn't push it back in." It's a bit rough, but you get the general idea, aye?

Alright. First off, it should be rang not "rung". Secondly, I think you should rework the second sentence of this particular quote. Maybe a comma after "someone" or something of that nature, because when you read this out loud, it sounds incorrect. Sorry, I'm not the greatest at grammar, otherwise I would explain why this isn't right ...

Beyond that, I didn't find any glaring grammatical errors (though I am kind of tired and my screen is being rather blurry ...)

Closing Thoughts

Fantastic piece! I really enjoyed the read through and I apologize for the obnoxiously long review. Let me know if I can do anything else that would help or help other people (that I plan on reviewing in the future!)

I look forward to seeing future works of yours!
~Luata

Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:48 pm
VintageGalaxy wrote a review...

-VintageGalaxy

Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto (I am a man, I don't consider anything human foreign to me)
— Terence