Another Story From My Average Life: Chapter one- Picture Day

by makennaC3

Picture day: A teen’s worst nightmare. The way you’ll be remembered for life depending on just a matter of seconds. It could be that giant zit that immortalizes you as the human pizza, or that one stray hair, or your white T-shirt on the white backdrop; or that piece of broccoli stuck in between your braces. As you can see, I can go on and on.

This year, none of that was going to happen. This year it would be different. This year, it would be perfect.

I went into the bathroom, the radio on loud so I could get in my daily shower singing. I turned the shower on, nice and hot (or so I thought) and jumped right under, not waiting for it to warm up- It’ll wake me up. That it did. I sure was woken up. I screamed at the coldness and grabbed for a towel, only to slip on a bar of soap and fall back into the ice-cold, plugged up shower (my dad had just re-done the shower and hadn’t put anti-slip adhesives on the bottom yet). And here it gets worse- The hot water never came on, so I was forced to shiver my way downstairs in nothing but a towel to huddle in the bath tub (there’s only one shower in my house, and I think we’ve developed that it does not have warm water).

So anyway, I finished showering and went back up stairs to do my hair. I brushed, I combed, I dried. Then I sprayed- A whole lot of hair spray- not the aerosol can type, but the kind that comes in the spray bottle with the pink cap. I sprayed until my hair was perfect- my normal straight, long hair.

This year, I had picked out a brown shirt, simple but elegant – exactly the way I sought to be remembered. I rolled on half a stick of deodorant before pulling it over my head – No sweat stains in my picture. I examined myself in the mirror. After weeks of looking for the perfect top at every store in town, I had finally found it. Oh, you want one? Where did I get it? In my own closet. That’s right folks: I made my mom drive me around town only to return home weary from shopping and find the perfect top in the second drawer down of my own dresser.

No make-up for me. It looks bad, I can’t apply it right, and it gives you acne. I just don’t like it. I believe in natural beauty, and I’m aware you’ll say that’s a whole load of crap, but hey, that’s your opinion.

I looked in the mirror. A beautiful girl looked back. With my dark blond hair brushed out of my face and no dirt visible, I actually didn’t look so bad. I hadn’t brushed my hair in several days, so it was a good change. It looked perfect. I looked perfect. And I felt perfect too.

I practiced my smile, gapped teeth flashing white at me. Sometimes I hate my gap, but it’s not very wide, and actually looks kinda cute if I smile right.

I was ready. I rode my bike to school that day, to my dismay. As soon as I got there, I rushed into the girls’ bathroom, brush and comb at the ready. The hairspray held, thankfully, so I ran the brush through my hair and went on to pictures.

At my school they do pictures before school starts so you can get your ID badge (used for buying lunch, checking out books, logging onto computers, etc.). So basically it’s a giant line you wait in, growing nervous by the second. I waited in that line. I was real nice and patient and polite and all those virtues people are always grilling you on. If waiting in line were an Olympic sport, I’d have many-a-medal to show for it.

So you’d think that by being a good sport, not being demanding, not being myself, would ensure by some greater force that I deserved a good picture.

Not at all.

TheatreGirl00 wrote a review...

I LOVED this!
First off, I think your story really captures the average life (Hence the title) of an average teenage girl. Three thumps up for that! :)
Second: I REALLY enjoyed the humor approach you took (It sound like you do in real life! :P). Keep it up!
Third, The concept is GREAT. There's not many stories out there anymore that are about average things in life. :)
Fourth: Both the first and second-to-last (the one that starts with "So you’d think that...") paragraph are great beginnings and ends!
Overall, it was perfect!
~Sophie

makennaC3 says...

Thanks, Sophie!

makennaC3 says...

Thanks, Sophie!

makennaC3 says...

Oh, did I post that twice? Or just a glitch?

Your welcome! :)

Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:02 pm
makennaC3 says...

Oh, I also added a bit more

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:28 pm
makennaC3 says...

Ok I fixed what you guys told me to, just by editing, so if you find anything wrong this time around, tell me that too! Thanks for your help!

Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:44 pm
HetaliaSpain wrote a review...

The concept is good. I enjoyed reading it, and teenagers can relate to the concept, and many of them would agree. I don't wear makeup, except for eyeshadow and lipstick/lip gloss every once n a while, and my school doesn't allow you to wear makeup except for foundation, so I'm not in the habit of wearing makeup all that often. I agree with you on some points, like the natural beauty. I really enjoyed the first few paragraphs, and it sort of bothered me how you kept switching from past to present...keep writing, though!

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:27 pm
o0OakageO0o wrote a review...

I enjoyed your beginning paragraph--it was very interesting, and I was hooked instantly. There were minor grammatical errors, and you switched between past tense and present tense, but as a story in itself? I really enjoy it. I can't really speak for the guys (although I assume they are in the same situation), but I'm pretty sure almost every girl goes through this each day. The character itself seems fascinating, especially the idea that even in today's society, she doesn't were make-up, which is a rarity in itself. With a little more development, the finished story could be pretty awesome. ;]

Yours psychotically,
- thelocalmaniac

Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:44 am
Bobbywalker wrote a review...

I decided to to my firs REAL review with this story. It just felt right. And since it you, Makenna, I sure did it. So here it is:

First of all, I would just say that I like the way you go for the funny approach and make it. It's really hard to write a story that makes the reader giggle, smile, or chuckle. I almost never make that. Now, on to the review of every part of the story.

First paragraph:
You make a funny approach, and the personal way of describing it makes people feel it. Like if it was themselves. I feel this could be changed:

"or that piece of broccoli stuck in between your braces, leftover from last night."
When you say "leftover from last night," it's unneccesary. It lengthens the sentence, but it's only a tiny detail that may feel annoying, even (which was my case) hard to understand. I would say stop there. No comma.

Second paragraph:
I really liked this part, because it tells you that nothing is going to go wrong, which makes the reader think: "Is she saying this to tell you that it's going to end up as a total disaster?"
I loved it. Expecially the frgamenting:
"This year it would be different. This year, it would be perfect."

Third paragraph:
I just have to say that I felt it was hard to understand. It's a shower, now you fall back into a tub, oops, dad never put anti-slip adhesives on bottom of the -SHOWER-. Is it a shower, or is it a tub?
Oh and one more thing. ". I turned it on, nice and hot, and jumped right under, not waiting for it to warm up"
First you say it's nice and hot, then it's not hot yet. I understand what you mean, but not all readers would, and it looks awkward. Just reword it :D Ok. Now to the good part.
After saying that it would be perfect, something goes bad. Gives life to the character, and it also made an exciting start. Some action.

Fourth paragraph:
I just want to say this:
"A whole butt load of hair spray"
That sounds awful. Reword that at once. It almost sounds a little grose. It's too much of a teen-language. You really should fix that. Nothing more really. I like that you start explaing how obsessed this girl is about this stuff.

Fifth paragraph:
Loved this part. You explain how she found her shirt, and end up with a funny statement. You found the perfect top, in your own dresser. I chuckled a little on this part too. There isn't much more to say here.

Sixth pereagraph:
This was a funny paragraph, as you explain that she don't like make-up. Though it was funny, you gambled a little bit. You never know how people will react on the "zit-face". Maybe a girl is reading it and feels almost attacked as she has zits. Just saying. Other than that, the paragraph was just cool.

Seventh paragraph:
This paragraph has to be re-written. The whole story, you write in past tense, but now you write in present tense. Other than that I liked it. blond - blonde*

Eighth paragraph:
Same here. Change back to past tense! Other than that it was kinda cute.

Love the story, but I have to say again!
WATCH OUT! Never change time aspect. It's bad for the health ;D

If there is anything you wonder about, PM me or ask me in chat.

Love, Bob Walker!

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:45 am
Incandenza wrote a review...

Hello,

I'm quite new in this site and don't know how reviews work here but here's a try:

the concept is good, light-hearted and interesting though your prose seems to turn it off if you know what i mean. for example :

...and I’m aware you’ll say that’s a whole load of crap, but hey, that’s your opinion, Zit Face

i don't suppose you are aware what a reader might say or not. even if you are right in thinking, a reader doesn't want to be thrown into the story now and then.

I hopped in the shower, the radio on loud so I could get in my daily shower-singing. I turned it on, nice and hot, and jumped right under,

you just said the radio was on. how can you you turn it on again?

I sprayed and sprayed and sprayed until my hair was perfect

i think saying it once is enough, the repetitions make it look somewhat amateurish.

over all, you are quite right. it is unfinished. please finish it and maybe I'll read it again.

Thanks,
Incandenza

Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:42 am
makennaC3 says...

Please keep in mind I wrote this much in about an hour, so please understand if there are typos and point them out so they can be fixed. **This is not finished**

When we are children we seldom think of the future. This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can. The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind