z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

Chaos

by lucafitz


I stood on the roof, studying the cities remains. Nuclear war had finished years ago but the consequences were still obvious. Deformed animals and humans roamed the street, viciously attacking anything they came across, we called these creatures’ critters. Many of my friends had died after being overwhelmed by these deformed creatures.

I picked up my M16 assault rifle and signalled to my partner, Joel. We slowly made our way to a ladder, and climbed down into the street below. I put my M16 on my back and pulled out my silenced pistol. Loud noises drew more of the creatures so we tried to keep it as silent as possible. I blew the head of a lone critter, watching its brains splat on the wall.

I heard a noise behind me, and slowly turned around. I saw Joel slowly turning as well. What met my eyes made my blood run cold. A massive horde of critters had wandered onto the road behind us. They hadn’t noticed us, so I slowly whispered to Joel “Go loud and run to the Church”. The church would provide safe haven for us. There were heavy machine guns, 50. And 30. Calibre, that would mow down any critters.

We grabbed our M16s, took aim, and fired. Body parts, blood and brains flew as our bullets ripped into the critters. We started to sprint towards the church, which was 500 metres away from our current position. I stopped running and fired into the swarm of critters. I saw several gaining on Joel and cut them down easily. We got within 50 metres of the church when we heard someone yell “GET DOWN!!!” and as soon as we got behind cover, the heavy machine guns cut through the crowd of critters, decimating their ranks.

Joel and I started to kill any critters that got to close to us and threw some grenades into the crowd, dismembering several critters. We ran out of our cover and towards the church. A dozen men ran out of the church and provided cover fire, picking off any critters that got to close. We sprinted into the church, and slammed the heavy wooden doors behind us. Dozens of critters smashed into the doors but they were to thick for them to have any effect.

I stood up, laughing and felt a sharp blow land on my face. I hit the ground hard, getting up fast and pulling my knife. I stood in a ready stance, waiting in anger to stab anyone who dared attack me. I saw a Russian standing in front of me, and for the second time today, my blood ran as cold as ice. I realised that the church had been attacked and taken over by the infamous Russian, Yuri, who was famous for killing any and all prisoners.

I prepared to lunge and stab him, dying in the process, but Yuri laughed and said, “you guys have a huge amount of balls”. I was confused as he offered me a bottle of Vodka. I said “what the hell do you want and why are you in the church?” Yuri’s face turned stone hard and he said “it was overrun by Critters and your people begged me to help them take it back”.

I realised straight away that this was a lie. There was blood sprayed up the walls and our people had been warring with the Russian since he had appeared. Suddenly he pulled a gun and ordered his me “Take their guns and put them with the rest of the prisoners”. I felt the blood drain from my face as I realised what was about to happen. I was going to be tortured and killed.

I looked at Joel as he pulled a Gun and aimed at Yuri, Yuri’s men took aim and shot Joel in the stomach. He dropped to the ground, in pain, and Yuri walked up to him and said “a mistake, my friend” and shot him in the head. I screamed and hit my captor. I attacked Yuri but his men dragged me off and knocked me unconscious.

I woke up in cuffs, in a cage with five other men. They looked at me and I saw several of my comrades including my commander. They helped me to my feet and I stood in shock, Joel was dead, I was captured and I was going to die.

I heard a massive explosion and I turned towards the Church doors. I saw them fall and Critters swarm into the church. Not one of Yuri’s men was in sight and I came to the realisation that this was how they were getting rid of the prisoners.

We all stood there in shock, staring at the hordes of Critters in the church when we heard a rattle behind us. We turned around and I saw my mates Tom and David and a squad of men, cutting the chains that held us in the cage. They opened the door and cut our cuffs, before handing us silenced guns.

We ran out a side door and towards several armoured Humvees. We ploughed through masses of Critters towards safety. We pulled through the gates into the main compound for our forces. We pulled up to the building, which housed our governing officials. I was hurried through to chamber and I saw a dozen faces, the people who controlled who lived and died, just sitting there. I sat in a hard chair and was questioned.

They made me describe all the events that happened. I felt sick as I described what happened to Joel. They all stood up and one of them pronounced “Luca, you have done us a great service and we are promoting you. You will now be in charge of your own platoon and your primary objectives will be to secure housing, food, water and other necessary supplies. Also, we are tasking you with harassing Yuri’s forces, killing as many as possible.”

I exited the room, and saw a dozen men waiting. I saw my friends, Tom, David, Hamish and a dozen others and saw Determination on all their faces. I saw faces that were ready to kill and wreak Havoc upon Yuri and his forces.

We were going to war


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
75 Reviews


Points: 708
Reviews: 75

Donate
Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:11 pm
ChieTheWriter says...



Cliffhanger...




User avatar
766 Reviews


Points: 650
Reviews: 766

Donate
Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:32 pm
Brigadier wrote a review...



Hey there lucafitz. It's just lizzy dropping by real quick, so without a further ado.

One quick note. I am doing this review in between classes so I only have about 20 minutes. If you find this review was not in depth enough, just message me, and I'll eventually get around to revising it.

One more note. I had started this review a week ago but I never finished it. I was going through my review drafts and decided to leave you a review anyways. I feel every work deserves a good review. But you already have a couple of okay reviews, so I won't be here long.

Paragraph 1:

I stood on the roof, studying the cities remains. Nuclear war had finished years ago but the consequences were still obvious. Deformed animals and humans roamed the street, viciously attacking anything they came across, we called these creatures’ critters. Many of my friends had died after being overwhelmed by these deformed creatures.

-This is a pretty good opening paragraph. The reader gets an okay sense of the setting (post nuclear war). Having some sense of setting in a story is always nice, even though I've read lots of works where the place was never described.
-There are a couple of sentences I would change around a bit. And this time when I say 'couple', I actually mean only two sentences in the para I would change.

1.
Deformed animals and humans roamed the street, viciously attacking anything they came across. We called these creatures ', critters.

-I tried to do strike through up top but I'm not sure if it worked. What I was trying to do was tell you the apostrophe was not necessary a new comma was.

2.
Many of my friends had died after being overwhelmed by these deformed creatures.

-I just found that you used 'deformed' too many times in such a short amount of time. There has to be some other word you can use. Maybe something like 'mutated'. It has a similar definition and you can keep the sort of eerie feel.

I'm going to bounce around a little bit on this review since almost everything has been covered. Let's move to the ending. It's very powerful but the lack of punctuation threw me off. I mean yes it was most likely a typo and not some sort of style but it still messed me up. It's fine to have a couple of typos here and there but you really don't want them on one of the most important lines. That line is a reviewer's final judgement of your story so you need to be really careful about that.

The line above it also causes a bit of confusion. I'm just going to copy it into a quote down here before I explain any further.
I exited the room, and saw a dozen men waiting. I saw my friends, Tom, David, Hamish and a dozen others and saw Determination on all their faces. I saw faces that were ready to kill and wreak Havoc upon Yuri and his forces.

-You start by saying the mc met the looks of 12 men and the next second it's 15 people. I mean I get the change because I mean sayings like that aren't always literal but it just looks odd. The capital d on determination in the middle of the sentence isn't great either appearance wise.

The capitalization in the middle of sentences happened way too often for me. I think you meant it as a form of emphasis but after awhile it just got to be too annoying. I would recommend going with italics or bold or maybe even alternating between the 3. It's not necessarily that your style was a bad route to go, it's just that the reader can only take so much emphasis, before the emphasized things no longer seem important.

I mean overall the story was very suspenseful and an exciting read. Not sure if this was meant as an actual novel or a short story. It seems there would be more to this story or you could just stop it right here.

Well I guess that is about all I have to say for this collection of comments. Hopefully one of them helped you in some way.
Anyways, have a nice day.
Happy RevMo.
Lizzy
The Queen of the Book Clubs

Edit: you may want to put some sort of rating on this. I'd recommend a 16+ for violence because that should cover this entire story. If you're not sure on a rating, go seek out a literary mod.




User avatar
7 Reviews


Points: 54
Reviews: 7

Donate
Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:13 pm
View Likes
Bluegirl135 wrote a review...



Hi,
I really loved this story, you definitely used your imagination. The story line was very interesting and is a great version of the apocalypse. Also, I loved the cliffhanger ending. You also used fantastically poetic words to describe. I also really liked it because it was different, it is a very bold story.This story is also very well written apart from a few grammar mistakes

Anyway, as a little bit of improvement, you could maybe check a few of you grammatical errors.
Also, don't forget to check your stories at the end to make sure it is all in the same tense/time frame. Also you maybe could've described more of the scenery. To me, a key part of an apocalyptic story is knowing what the scenery is like.

Lastly, I think you are a great writer with a lot of potential and would love to seem better written stories like this. -Jade xoxo




User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 73
Reviews: 16

Donate
Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:49 am
ThePhantomPrince wrote a review...



Hi, I'm just going to jump right in. Your story is very well written, but there are a few grammatical mistakes that I noticed. "Loud noises drew more of the creatures so we tried to keep it as silent as possible." I understand that you are trying to keep the verb tense the same, but the wording implies that in the present when he is telling the story these creatures no longer exist. If that was your intention then that's fine, but if not you would want to say "loud noises draw more of the creatures." In the sentence "50. And 30. Calibre" And and Caliber should not be capitalized. "Body parts, blood and brains" you need a comma after blood. Last paragraph determination shouldn't be capitalized.

That should be all grammar wise, so now let's get to the story itself. It was intriguing and fast paced which is good for a short story. While not necessary it would have been nice to know what the area looked like. Was it a nuclear waste, a desert, snow, or was there perhaps an acid rain? Now from a plot perspective. If the Russian was just going to kill them anyway, why did he let them into the church in the first place? Wouldn't it have been easier just to let them die outside? As to Joel's death. It obviously had a lot of meaning to the main character, but the reader doesn't get any of that. A few sentences or a paragraph at the beginning telling about their history together would give much more meaning to his death. Finally the Russian is bad, but what is the nationality of the soldiers. I get the feeling that they're British, but that's not said, and maybe it's not supposed to be.

All in all it is a fantastic story, and I would love to see a follow up to it in the future.



Random avatar
lucafitz says...


How do i get review stars?



User avatar
176 Reviews


Points: 1983
Reviews: 176

Donate
Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:56 pm
sheysse wrote a review...



Hi! It's Sheyren here for a review. First, I see that your new. Welcome to the site, and I hope you enjoy it here! Second, I'd like to tell you that I truly enjoyed this story. I'm usually not a fan of the post apocalyptic genre, but this was different. I do love war themes stories, and this kept me interested. So I'm here to correct some things and give ideas if you intend to write more of this (which I hope you do).

First is the start- I saw a few errors there. Nothing too big. To quickly correct some stuff- "...studying the cities remains..." Cities should be city's. "Nuclear war had finished years ago but..." There should be a comma between ago and but. "...came across, we..." that comma should be a period. There were a few other grammatical errors, but overall they didn't take away from the reading.

Now for some comments and ideas. First I want to comment on the Russians being the bad guys. Now, for this story it works, but normally you want to stay away from generalizing people of certain heritage. For instance, if a Russian read this, they might be insulted and stop reading. So, I would suggest in later chapters to include info hunting that the Russians aren't the bad guys, but rather the Russian government is. That way you avoid insulting anyone. Then there was the comment about Tom and David. It was unclear here- were Tom and David trapped too? If so, how did they escape and have guns? If they weren't trapped, then I suggest making that a bit more clear.

Other than that, great post, and keep writing! I hope you intend to make more chapters, because I'm desperate for more!
Oh, and welcome to the site.

-Sheyren



Random avatar
lucafitz says...


Thanks, the reason i used a Russian as a villian is because the image i have gotten from Media(Games and Movies) is that Russians can be 1)awesome people, with lots of different stories, or 2)the main character with a evil streak, plus their accent is bad ass and sounds awesome when i think of them speaking their parts



sheysse says...


Haha, yeah, I love Russian accents too!




Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and the shadows will fall beyond you.
— Walt Whitman