z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Junkyard Dog

by llailac


Junkyard Dog

I dig up the same bones just to bury them in the same place.

Hands reach from the crypt, pulling at my lips-

How can I let the dead rest when I have become so restless?

It is a punishment for false closure.

I sit here, accompanied by a buried bone, wagging my tail between my legs.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
210 Reviews


Points: 10015
Reviews: 210

Donate
Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:23 am
EllieMae wrote a review...



Time for a Black Cat Review!!



MEOW! Hello, friend! My name is Ellie and today I will be reviewing using my very own Black Cat Review Method! It is very similar to the incredible YWS S'more Method but I have Halloween-ified it and made it spooky! My little black cat friend, Vladimir, wants to offer his opinion on your amazing literary piece:

Mystical Witch Hat - What I See, Observe, and Interpret

I dig up the same bones just to bury them in the same place.


What a GORGEOUS poetic statement! I love the imagery associated with bones in poetry. Digging something up, them burying it again. Remembering pain, just to ignore it. Resurfacing emotions, just to deny them. Starting a fight, just to never take accountability for your actions.

I love the imagery you use of "pulling at your lips". This really speaks to me. Sometimes I feel so compelled to speak up for what I know is right, but I cannot. This poem captures that feeling of being trapped in a cage, unable to leave. Perhaps trapped by your own freedom.

It is interesting how it seems like the writer is describing themself as this dog, ashamed, burying a bone. Overall, I love your use of imagery. The whole poem is so symbolic- I love it!

Vladimir’s Advice - Suggestions for Improvement

I would love to see more sensory details! This poem has so much imagery and allows me to picture so much, but I think if you added small, subtle details, like colors, temperatures, or textures, it would just add an extra layer of awesome. Ocerall though, beautifully written :)

Jack O’Lanterns - My Favourite Parts and Praises

How can I let the dead rest when I have become so restless?

It is a punishment for false closure.


I love the use of questions in poetry. I love how you use rest and restless. opposites in the same sentence, lovely!

Black Cat Cuddles - Concluding Ideas and Thoughts

Thank you for sharing your beautiful poetry!

Your friend,
Ellie

I hope you have a spook-tastical day, filled with black cat mischief!




User avatar
211 Reviews


Points: 23158
Reviews: 211

Donate
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:30 am
OrabellaAvenue wrote a review...



Hi there! This is Orabella, here with a quick review. ^^

This is such a short but interesting poem! It really makes me go back and read it again and again, and yet there's more meaning every time!

I feel like I don't quite understand it, but I think that means there are more ways to interpret this! What might the bones represent, and what exactly does the title mean? The lines aren't exactly straight forward, so that makes you want to read them again and ponder about them long after, which I think is so awesome!

How can I let the dead rest when I have become so restless?

Typically words used multiple times can seem repetitive and redundant, but you found a way to make it quite the opposite! I love your use of the word "rest" here, and repeating it the way you have gives it so much more meaning! The fact, also, that they mean almost completely opposite things while being so similar is really cool, too, and so clever to use and implement here!

I dig up the same bones just to bury them in the same place.

I feel like this can have many implications and many different meanings, which again is what I think makes this so cool! If thinking about it from a figurative perspective, you could think of an argument you start that maybe you've talked about before, only for it to end the same way as it did the first time. With nothing accomplished. It could also be interpreted as the same mistake as you've made before. I feel like there's something else, too, that I feel like was what you were trying to go for when writing this. I stink at finding meanings in poems, so apologies if I was too far off! Could you tell me what you intended to be interpreted, though?

Thank you so much for writing and sharing! I loved this poem. It was different than anything I've read before, and I enjoyed reading it very much! Also, welcome to YWS! Please let me know if you ever need anything or if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help! :D Have an amazing day/night and keep writing!





All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.
— Jane Wagner