z

Young Writers Society



Opiate

by lilmisssunshine13


My entire family is religious. Sunday mornings are reserved for worship, Bible verses are posted throughout the house, a prayer is said prior to meals and bed. The children are taught about Jesus and eternal salvation. I am the anomaly. I began normally, exactly like the other children. I was fascinated with the tales of burning bushes, sick people being healed, and a man with the power to come back to life. I was also fascinated by Santa Clause. At four years old I realized that it would be physically impossible for Santa to stop at every child’s house in one night, or have a herd of flying animals as a mode of transportation. With the belief in that fairy tale diminished, I also realized that I could no longer believe in Jesus, and by extension God.

I remember how upset my mother was when I told her that I no longer believed in Santa and God. Her face contorted as she tried to comprehend a way to restore my faith in her God that she set so much store by. For the next ten years both of my parents forced me to attend Sunday school, hoping that maybe I would change my mind so that I won’t be subject to eternal suffering. To their dismay my mandatory church sessions only strengthened my resolve that God does not exist.

In my home I am abnormal because I don’t spend an hour every week on my knees asking an all-powerful being to forgive me for the things that I do wrong. I don’t lack the morality or passion that my parents have, I just don’t have the blind faith that they possess. The perception of normality depends completely on surroundings. To people besides my family, my lack of faith is normal.

My mother has always prayed ardently. Her face contorts with passion as she seeks God’s advice on every matter. When she needs to make a tough decision, she turns to God’s will rather than her own will.

When I was six, my dad cheated on my mom. She could have made the decision to walk out on him, but God’s will deemed it appropriate for my mother to stay in the relationship. His sins were found out again when I was eight, eleven, twelve, and fifteen. All the lies, all the pain, all the brokenness, everything my mother felt could have been justifiably ended. She turned a deaf ear to the secular solutions to her situation. She turned a deaf ear to what she wanted to do. She instead sought God’s will each and every time. God gave her an out from making the hard decision. God gave her an out from properly dealing with her hurt. God gave her an opiate that only numbed her pain.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:19 pm
Hannah wrote a review...



This is the beginning. This is the start of what will be a powerful non-fiction piece, but you MUST dig further. You MUST find the meat of this.

Firstly, you end with the most powerful declaration, and it might seem like a good idea to go out on a high note: accusing your mother, the one you'd loved like an idol before you realized some weak things about her. but really, that is the beginning. we want to see that fire burn through something, devour something, and we want to read the meaning in the ashes afterward, by which i'm saying you need to continue writing this.

it's well-written, what you have. it's succinct and grammatically correct, and maybe as image-heavy as something theoretical can be at this point. but you can get more specific, and that will bring real strength here.

also, don't be afraid to engage people in just conversation about your art to find new ideas.

that's why i want to ask you why you think your mother's faith is blind. her words might seem without thought to you, as she recites, but do you really think she grew up and never realized her weakness? she knows that it's because she's weak she turns to god. she knows she is believing in something that may not even exist. she is aware, but she chooses to live in the company of people who support that belief, that mode of living, instead of facing opposition, more challenges to break her down.

just think a little more about it. i'm not saying hate or be disgusted by her less (sorry if that's my bias reading into your piece), but think careful about this to find the truest truth you can. and write more. write more stories about religion in your life, about moments you realized your mother was wrong. write to me about eight and eleven and twelve and fifteen.

good luck. push through.

lemme know if you have questions.




User avatar
178 Reviews


Points: 652
Reviews: 178

Donate
Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:33 am
Paracosm wrote a review...



Hey Sunshine! I'm going to write you up a quick review. Quick note, I'm so dumb. I thought that your title was a name, and I kept reading it Oh pee ah tee. I thought, "Hey, that's a cool, unique name!" Woops!

Anyway, I'm going to give you a review based on the five components of writing. Structure, organization, word choice, voice, and idea. I'll start with structure, but since your structure for the entire story is strong, I'll mainly stick to sentence and paragraph structure, two things that are underrated in a lot of fiction writing. Any way, on with it!

As I said before, your overall structure is great, but their are a few sentences that could use some cleaning up. Your grammar is strong, but sometimes just because something is correct doesn't mean it can't be better!

In the first paragraph, I would start a new paragraph when the narrator says, "I am the anomaly." I would let it stand alone for effect, like this:

TEXT HERE TEXT HERE TEXT HERE

I am the anomaly.

TEXT HERE TEXT HERE TEXT HERE

That's a very common, very effective technique. I think it fits perfectly into that part of your story because that moment is where the 'conflict' begins. It's like the catalyst that sets the story really rolling. Up until that point, we know something is going to go wrong, and that's the moment it happens. It's like a sign post to the reader that says, 'Excitement ahead!'

Her face contorted as she tried to comprehend a way to restore my faith in her God that she set so much store by.

This is only a little, tiny, nit-picky thing, but when I read this sentence it threw me off when you said 'by' instead of 'in'. I've always heard it as 'in', so that's just how I'm conditioned, it might be different in your region, but I thought I'd point this out.

In my home I am abnormal because I don’t spend an hour every week on my knees asking an all-powerful being to forgive me for the things that I do wrong.

This sentence could be compacted a little. While it does add variety to your sentence pattern, I feel like the wording in the last part is a weak link. I think it's the -ing in 'asking' and 'being', and then the shift from the two like sounds to different sounds. This is just another one of those nit-picky things. There's nothing grammatically wrong with the sentence, but it does read a little funny to me.

Okay, on to organization!

Your story is well structured, but sometimes you introduce ideas that kind of float around. I felt like you were leading me into a concept, then we just moved past it. For instance: 'To their dismay my mandatory church sessions only strengthened my resolve that God does not exist.'

This sentence made me ask "Why?" You'd think the more someone goes to church, the stronger their faith would become. I was waiting for you to contradict that idea, but it never really came. There were a few more instances where that happened, and they were really the only weak links in your organization. I would elaborate on some the ideas you introduce.

Also, you start the story off with the main character talking about her family and her faith, and during the climax, you talk about her relationship with her mother. This is fine, but I want to point out you have a good outline for a more detailed short story, or maybe even a novel.

Your word choice is fine, not really much to say there. :P You have an awesome vocabulary!

Voice is my favorite part. Your voice here is very intellectual, kind of disconnected. I don't feel like your character shared her emotions enough. Was it scary when she stopped believing in God? Santa is a physical being, but God is supposedly all powerful and spiritual, did she ever question the rules behind this principal? And finally, when you say she stopped believing in Jesus, did she stop believing in his teachings, in his godliness, or in his existence?

Other than that, your voice is really good. You express your ideas clearly and concisely. Just remember that sometimes it's a good idea to delve a little deeper into your characters, even for a short work like this. Show, don't tell. Show us her brokenness and pain, show us when she tells her mother that she doesn't believe in God, show us sitting in church, losing her faith.

Your voice is great, but remember, 'Show, don't tell!' (Every writer gets tired of hearing that, huh?)

Your idea is strong, and you do a great job expressing it. I just want to take this opportunity to show you some things that might hurt your stories believe-ability. First of all, you say that her mother's husband was unfaithful to her. She doesn't divorce because she feels it would be morally wrong. In most Christian faiths, if a spouse is unfaithful, then it is okay to divorce.

Also, one thing I really wondered, and this is going to eat me up, but does your character not believe in Jesus just because she doesn't believe in God? What I'm trying to say is, your character is very intelligent, and I think she'd still see merit in Jesus's teachings. Not necessarily Christianity though. The Buddha was believed to be a divine spirit in human form, but many Christians, Atheists, Jews, Muslims, and people of other beautifully diverse cultures still grant that there is merit to his teachings.

:O

I don't want to start a religious debate. This story is great because it's designed to spark controversy, so you did a great job! This will definitely get people talking about religion, and it will surely make people thing. As I said before, you did a great job expressing your idea!

Nice job Sunshine, keep up the good work, and welcome to YWS!





I do all of the training for Walgreen’s cashiers.
— The Devil