z

Young Writers Society



The Rivailus Pt.1 of 13

by kshsj777


FADE IN:

INT. BACKWATER COLONY, FRONTIER CAFÉ - EVENING

BRIAN SCOTT, a young man in his late twenties walks into the Café and sits down on one of the stools at the counter. GARETH, both the owner of the café and the server behind the counter sees Scott and smiles.

GARETH

Hey Scott, what's up man?

SCOTT

I recently acquired a ship.

GARETH

(chuckling)

Ah! What, did your uncle pass away or something?

SCOTT

(seriously)

Yes, actually.

GARETH

Oh. Sorry, man. How'd he die?

SCOTT

Legally? Of old age. But I have my doubts.

GARETH

He git in trouble?

SCOTT

Maybe.

GARETH

So whatcha looking for now?

SCOTT

A crew.

GARETH

Looking for anybody in particular?

SCOTT

As a matter of fact, yes.

GARETH

Who?

SCOTT

Amanda LeClaire.

GARETH

What?! You gotta be kidding me, man. Why

you looking for her for?

SCOTT

I need her.

GARETH

Now look here, Scott, I know we're buddies,

but concerning her, I can't help you.

SCOTT

Why not?

GARETH

You know why not!

SCOTT

G, you know me. I'm not a bounty

hunter.

GARETH

You don’t need to be! She's got enough problems of her own, without you trying to get her to go along with your grand delusions of adventure.

SCOTT

The fate of the galaxy is at stake.

GARETH

Get outta here, Scott. You've gone crazy.

SCOTT

Come on G, I mean it. Look I'll talk to her, just talk to her. If she doesn't want to come, then fine. If she does… G, you say she's in a tough spot; my ship could help her out.

Gareth leans over and whispers in Scott's ear.

GARETH

Scott buddy, you know what a risk I'm taking on this. Back corner, blondish hair, sand-colored robes.

SCOTT

Thanks, man. I owe you one.

GARETH

Yeah, just don't make me regret it.

AMANDA LECLAIRE, a young woman in her twenties is sitting at the table Gareth indicated with her head resting on her hand. She takes a sip of a drink and sighs. Scott comes up to her and sits down.

SCOTT

Hey! You're Amanda LeClaire, right?

AMANDA

(alarmed)

Who are you?

SCOTT

Relax, G sent me.

AMANDA

Oh yeah. Whaddya want?

SCOTT

Name's Scott. I'm the captain of the cargo ship Rivailus. Heard you needed a ride. Am I right?

AMANDA

So? I don't have any money.

SCOTT

No prob. I don't have a crew.

AMANDA

I don't know anything about manning a cargo ship.

SCOTT

And I don't know anything about commanding one. We'll learn together.

AMANDA

Sorry buddy. You're looking in the wrong place.

SCOTT

Oh come on. You're just sitting there moping around. Nobody else is gonna take ya.

AMANDA

I told you, I don't know anything about cargo ships.

SCOTT

There's gotta be something you know. How else could you survive this long?

AMANDA

(laughing)

Survive? That's a good one.

SCOTT

I'm serious.

AMANDA

How'd you get a hold of a cargo ship anyway? You're not exactly old enough to have your own ship.

SCOTT

Had a rich uncle.

AMANDA

Oh yeah, right.

SCOTT

It is mine. I didn't steal it if that's what you're implying.

AMANDA

Yeah, sure.

SCOTT

Well are you going to join my crew or not?

AMANDA

Anybody else signed up?

SCOTT

Two. My friend Theophilus and a guy by the name of Walcox.

AMANDA

Hmph. Well before I make up my mind, I gotta see the ship first. No point in signing up to a ship that can't fly.

SCOTT

Sounds fair. It's a deal.

They shake hands.

INT. BACKWATER COLONY, CARGO BAY – EVENING

Amanda follows Scott to the cargo bay on the outskirts of the colony. He takes her to a secluded corner to a spaceship that is old, rickety, and small, compared to its neighbors.

AMANDA

You're flying in that?!

SCOTT

Theophilus and I managed to make some repairs after scrounging up some spare parts and tools.

AMANDA

And you said your uncle was rich?

SCOTT

All the other relatives got first pick. Nobody wanted this, so I took it. Do you want to see the inside?

AMANDA

I guess. I only hope it looks better than the outside.

INT. THE RIVAILUS, THE BRIDGE - EVENING

Scott and Amanda board the Rivailus, and make their way to the bridge. Amanda glances over the display panels at the ship's statistics.

AMANDA

Wow. Your engines can generate power, and you actually have shields.

SCOTT

I told you, Theophilus and I made repairs. And here he comes now.

THEOPHILUS, a tall, broad shouldered man enters. He inclines his head as a gesture of respect towards Amanda and then speaks to Scott.

THEOPHILUS

I fixed the leak.

SCOTT

Good job. I was worried about that. (to Amanda) He doesn't talk much.

AMANDA

Ah. What leak?

SCOTT

Plasma. But don't worry. It's taken care of.

AMANDA

So… in what capacities are you and your friends serving aboard the ship?

SCOTT

I'm the captain and the pilot, Theophilus here is the engineer, although I'm not too bad myself, and Walcox is in charge of weapons.

AMANDA

(in disbelief)

You have weapons?

SCOTT

Well yeah. Every ship's gotta have weapons.

AMANDA

What do you need me for then? You've got everybody.

Theophilus and Scott glance at each other.

SCOTT

Well…Theophilus, you tell her.

THEOPHILUS

No.

SCOTT

I don't want to tell her.

THEOPHILUS

(emotionless)

It was your idea.

SCOTT

Alright fine! Since we have a ship, and a crew, we need a place to go to.

AMANDA

I guessed that.

SCOTT

Well, you see, our destination… that's where you come in. We're planning on sneaking on Clairemont Prime.

Amanda's mouth drops open.

AMANDA

What did you say?

SCOTT

Clairemont Prime.

AMANDA

You have gotta be crazy! Why in the galaxy would you want to go to Clairemont Prime?

SCOTT

Uh… well… some of our friends are there… as prisoners, and we were planning on going to rescue them.

AMANDA

You’re insane. If you think you can go against the LeClaire Empire, you're sadly mistaken.

SCOTT

We knew we weren't going to get very far with just the Rivailus, but we thought you could help.

AMANDA

Me?

SCOTT

You are Amanda LeClaire.

AMANDA

Yeah, but unless you been living in seclusion your whole life, you must know I was banished from the system. I am as dead to them.

SCOTT

Not to all of them. Come on. Do you really think your father would kill you if went back?

AMANDA

I'm quite sure. Especially after what I did.

SCOTT

He can't forgive you?

AMANDA

No, he can't. And even if he did, and I was restored, than why do you think that would matter? I have no reason to help you, and I don't care. If your friends are in prison, then they probably should be.

SCOTT

Just like you're supposed to be prison?

AMANDA

I was lucky and managed to escape.

SCOTT

Yeah, well not everybody is as lucky as you.

AMANDA

Whatever. I'm outta here.

Amanda starts to leave.

AMANDA

Have fun getting caught and tortured for no reason, that is, if you don't die in the cold of space.

SCOTT

Now wait just a minute here, Amanda.

Amanda stops and turns around, crossing her arms in front of her.

SCOTT

I have something I think you should see.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 234 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
74 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 74

Donate
Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:06 pm
kshsj777 says...



Thanks jonny.

But the fate of the galaxy IS at stake. You'll have to read more and find out why.




User avatar
62 Reviews


Points: 890
Reviews: 62

Donate
Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:24 pm
jonny911 wrote a review...



SCOTT
The fate of the galaxy is at stake

besides that line , which is just to random without more explanation, I liked the play. It was good and easy to follow. I just wished you could give us more info on what the characters were doing (stage directions). It would have been easier to see the dialouge actually being spoken that way





“I don't talk things, sir. I talk the meaning of things.”
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451