The Towers of Unknown

by klennon14

The sad part is, I don’t know if it’s me or you. I don’t know if my overthinking is gnawing away at the small bits of rationale left inside of me, or you could be putting in more effort. Since I have to question it, since there’s that doubt there, I suppose it tells me something.

There’s no right or wrong or black and white in relationships. Everything is on a sliding greyscale, more often than not, sliding it’s way past my heart to lay in the bottom of my stomach.

All I really want is for you to take initiative. To make the second-guessing and the fear dissolve. Yes, you warm my heart and my soul like no one else ever has, but the little things are always slipping between my fingertips, and I wish you would know better, to run to me and catch them, cupping them in your hands like the little flightless paper birds they are, subject to being crushed at any time. To go that extra mile to make me feel completely reassured. To make me fly.

There’s that back in forth inside of me that knows my own wavering emotions can spread thin across any feeling, any part of me, even when life is going just the way it should. How am I supposed to tell what it should be doing, when all I am thinking about is what it could be doing?

I think we all have these extravagant expectations about true love. How your “perfect” person is going to sweep you off your feet and take all the pain away and you’ll live happily ever after in some glitter dusted, fairy-ass looking castle stretching out over the greenest grass on that other side everyone is trying to find. The truth is, no amount of fairy dust is going to fix you. Nothing can swoop down like magic and take away the pain, but love can do one thing. It can help you heal. Not fix you permanently, but ease the pain.

The truth about the matter is, there is no such thing as a “perfect” match for any of us. There is such a thing as good-hearted, loving people who try their hardest to show they care. They’re going to make mistakes. You’re going to make mistakes. There will be miscommunication, fights, heartache, longing, loving, despair...plus every emotion in between. What this kind soul does that comes along is show you the parts of you that you never even showed yourself. The vulnerability, the acceptance of your flaws, the beauty in the chaos. Your person is going to show you the light when all you can see is dark for miles, and that is when you know you’ve found your person. When there’s not a doubt in your bones that this person can always help you find the light.

Will there always be doubt in your surroundings? Yes, because that’s what life is, life is nothing but doubt that you are forced to conquer in order to make you stronger, to ground those half-hazard thoughts whirring around in your mind. That light is what will guide you from the dark, to set aside the endless uncertainties, shed the weight sitting on every one of your aching bones. No one can pull all the weight off for you. You have to do that yourself, but they can certainly start pushing. Sometimes, that’s all you need. A push over the edge.

When you fiercely love for the first time, when you feel that warmth course through all of you, it’s one of the most euphoric feelings you will ever experience, but also one of the most terrifying. It means opening up your heart, showing your scars, wearing your insecurities like accessories.

It’s the unknown, the constant questioning, the doubt that kills me. I just want you to push down the fear that wells up in my stomach. There are times you can say something, or do something, anything, but you don’t. The silence is what eats me up. The things you could say, but don’t. Yes, I’ll have those moments where I don’t know what to say...but I feel like I always make you so assured of my love, my wanting, my care. I always want to make you feel like you are more than deserving of my love.

You are. You are one of the kindest souls and hearts I have ever met. At the same time, your quiet mind can scare me. I never know what’s really going on up there.

Then I start to think about how it’s probably the same for you. I know my overthinking can be overboard, completely unwarranted, but I’m sure there are times you question what I’ve said or thought and wondered until you picked apart the situation into nothing- because that’s always how it begins- with nothing. And it turns into a big something.

I don’t think there’s ever a pin-pointed moment when you’re going to know for sure. There will come a time when your heart is irrevocably and utterly full, but it’s not a single turning point. It’s a culmination of yourself and your other. At times, it’s going to be hard. It’s going to eat away at every part of you, it’s going to have your head spinning, it’s going to feel like nothing but the dark is engulfing you.

I suppose that’s why they say you need a certain amount of darkness to see the stars. Without losing myself, I would have never found you. By finding you, little by little, it’s made me realize the parts of myself that I have been missing all of this time.

I think between the two of us, we could build a whole new planet. Will it be ever-revolving in the madness? Of course. That’s why I have you to help me build the guide, create the cities our hearts will be built on, knock down the towers of the unknown. This planet may not orbit the sun forever, the sun is but a star just waiting to burst from the combusting heat, but our world will fade basking in the light. If that’s not what you call love, you can keep hiding in the dark. The light will find your way eventually.

Iggy wrote a review...

Hi there! Just dropping by for a quick review :)

or you could be putting in more effort.

I feel like this is worded oddly when paired with the first part of this sentence. I recommend changing it to - or you aren't putting in enough effort.

I suppose it tells me something.

More of an opinion, really, but I recommend changing "it" to "that".

sliding it’s way past my heart

its*

To go that extra mile to make me feel completely reassured.

You need a comma after "mile".

There’s that back in forth

back-and-forth, you mean?

Okay, so first, make sure that you are proofreading your works before publishing them. The mistakes I pointed out could've been easily fixed with a proofread, so I recommend always doing that before posting a work, so the reviewers can focus fully on the story itself and not on the mistakes.

This was a beautiful piece of writing to read, but I felt like it got a bit chunky at some parts. Make sure that you are including commas where they need to go and breaking down sentences and paragraphs. Too much at a time can overload your reader's brain, or stress them out, and make them take a break from reading your works.

But other than that, I thought that this was a beautiful work and I enjoyed reading it. I love how descriptive you got and the images you painted inside my mind as I kept reading. This was beautiful, and very relatable. I'm sure everyone has, at some point, experienced the kind of love you described here, so this was very easy to read and follow along with because it was so realistic. I loved reading this, and I hope this review helps you a bit. :)

- Iggs

Nobunaga wrote a review...

A lot of this felt like I was talking to my therapist. It's honestly pretty creepy because in our last session we were talking about love and expectations. I agree with a lot of things that you bring up here. Seriously, a lot of it hits home. That said, this reads more like an essay on love. I guess that's why you filed it under other. But, because it has a heavy essay/conversational vibe, it felt strange to see the parts where the speaker talked to "you" as if they were their significant other.

Most of the time, I felt like "you" was myself or anyone else reading this. When you added in parts like this one,

,

it really broke that connection for me. I know that you're intending to talk to this fictional, character "you" throughout the entire piece, but the way you wrote this suggests otherwise.

For example,

this doesn't seem like something you would outright say to someone, whereas my other example could very believably be spoken out loud to an s/o. Do you see what I mean? Your tone changes from paragraph to paragraph from talking to "you" directly as a character and then using "you" to address the reader directly.

I don't know how to really articulate what I mean - I don't think I know all the right terminology - but I hope you understand my point.

Okay, moving on to the writing itself.

You did well grammar-wise as far as I could tell. My main critique on this subject is that I think this could be a lot shorter. Your writing becomes long-winded at times because you tend to re-hash the same points, or draw out one point. Like, I understood your meaning the first time, but now we're a few sentences in and still talking about the same thing. For example, your repeated mentions of "doubt" and "finding the light". I'm not saying that it was all worded the same way, but it was all practically the same message and it became tedious to read over again. I would just suggest going through this again and seeing what you can condense.

I don't want you to think I don't like you voice! I actually love the way this was written. It was very conversational and it got me thinking about my own relationships.

Okay, I'll give an example.

Nothing can swoop down like magic and take away the pain, but love can do one thing. It can help you heal. Not fix you permanently, but ease the pain.

If you were to nix entirely that last sentence, your message would still stand. In my opinion, it would be stronger! I won't prattle on, but I hope you see my point.

to ground those half-hazard thoughts whirring around in your mind.

Lastly, I think you meant haphazard instead of "half-hazard".

And that's all I have! Thank you for the thought-provoking read! You have a lot of interesting ideas about love here, and I agree with most of them! The only thing I would say I don't agree with is your third paragraph. You should take control of your own happiness. It's not your s/o's responsibility to make you fly. You make yourself fly. Only you have that power.

Anyway, this is long... Bye!

Radrook wrote a review...

Radrook here a once again
to offer some suggestions.
Apologies if I offend.
It isn’t my intention.

Please feel free to cast aside
all things you deem not helpful.
But if you do be sure it's true
by being extra careful.

That having been said:

Thanks for sharing this story written in a soliloquy concerning a person who finds himself or herself in a relationship which is only partially emotionally satisfactory. The narrator describes a cruel silence during times when a comforting word of empathy should be expressed. Tells us that it makes him feel unsupported and unloved.

The impression I get is that he has already brought this to the person’s attention but to no avail. In other words, the response that he was looking for, involving empathy and consideration for his emotional suffering was not expressed.

Strangely, he still refers to her as a wonderful. Which means that the narrator is excusing the behavior and willing to continue suffering. Probably imagines that the person lacks the ability to respond with the empathy and really means him no harm.

Of course that might very well be so, however, it might also be that he is considered unworthy of empathy deserving of discomfort. Actually, I was under that situation and after fourteen years the person involved admitted that it had all been on purpose.

In any case, the poem does convey the anguish intended and did elicit my empathy. I also like the metaphor concerning the planet earth in relation to the sun and find your insistence and patience in relation to the relationship admirable.

Looking forward to reading more of your work.

Nobunaga says...

Love the intro poem lol Is that for NaPo?

Radrook says...

Thanks! I don't know what NaPo is. But I found this under NAPO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gxgeXrYEUQ

Nobunaga says...

National Poetry Writing Month but... yeah that video is a thing I've seen now...

Radrook says...

No I just felt that the short rhymed statements could be used as an intro to all my reviews. I would never submit it to any contests actually since it would be considered doggerel. I had never seen that video at that NAPO website. Curious how the characters don't speak words but just seem to peep isn't it?

Stop being mean to your self-insert character, you're just being mean to yourself.
— WeepingWisteria