z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence

The Adventures of Rose Hood Chapter 41: What it means to be an Adventurer

by keeperofgaming


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

After a week of bedrest, I could move again, but the doctor advised against fighting. I was in the guild hall buying a glass of water.

“Wow, you are moving a lot earlier than we thought.”

Mammon came in the room.

“Yeah, the doctor still doesn’t want me fighting until I am completely healthy.”

“I agree, you pushed yourself to the absolute limit, I still have no idea how you survived Envy, then the push of power would’ve definitely killed you if you weren’t a dragon.”

“Yeah, plus I almost died like 3 times.”

“Exactly. The fact that you are moving in only one week is incredible.”

“The biggest annoyance is that the doctor ordered me not to drink alcohol... like I’m a dragon, booze is just good water.”

“Ha, as a dwarf I agree with you. But alcohol is still not good during recovery.”

“Ehk.”

I cringed as I put my head on the table.

“By the way, I was interested in talking to Sloth if I could.”

“She’s asleep.”

“Ah.”

“Yeah, she would definitely not be happy with being woken up.”

“I’d imagine, so is that why you are that strong?”

“Nope, she actually doesn’t give me that much power. She could, but she doesn’t.”

“Hm... Well, why did you guys make a contract in that dungeon in the first place?”

“Callel was annoying.”

“I see... You know, most people would consider it lucky that you survived three encounters with that man.”

“He died instantly each time. I seriously don’t know how he achieved legendary status.”

“Because he was on par with me.”

“He was?”

“Yes, well at least he’s gone now.”

“Yeah, I’m not buying it. I guarantee he will come back somehow.”

“Eh, maybe. That would be odd though.”

“I agree, but odder things keep happening.”

“I guess.”

I began sipping my water. I swear if I see Callel again, I’m not going to even give him a chance to speak, he’s just gonna die.

“Hey, Rose.”

“Hello Dallel.”

“How’s recovery going?”

“It’s good.”

My body was currently 90% evil entity, I would be fully recovered tomorrow. I was fully concealing my evil, so the only ones who were aware of my transformation were Dallel and Royce. Jalad also suspected something, but he didn’t pry.

Sloth was asleep, so my body was just naturally developing the rest. I hoped that she would wake up sooner than her predicted 3 months.

Then a presence I haven’t felt for almost a month appeared.

“Howdy, Rose. I heard rumors of you across the land.”

“Hello, Asura.”

“Yeah, I heard that people have been giving you titles.”

“Like Big Lizard?”

“Nope, actually they’re better than mine.”

That surprised me.

“What are they?”

“Godslayer, godtamer, Evil slayer, Sleeping giant, Mirror knight, Evilbane, god of good.”

“Those are good titles.”

“I know, I’m pretty sure people are proclaiming you as some sort of god because you were able to threaten all of the shards of the Evil god and make her withdraw. They are saying that you’d have to be some sort of god to do so.”

“No, I just used a lot of trickery.”

“Still, you also survived the possession of one of the shards while simultaneously killing a godly threat Whilderbeast.”

“It wasn’t simultaneous.”

“Still within the same battle.”

“I guess.”

“And even if you used trickery, that would’ve been something even I wouldn’t have even thought of.”

“Well, it wouldn’t have worked, had Envy not launched a surprise attack.”

“Even still, most wouldn’t play those odds if they were told they’d win by a god.”

“It was a necessary risk.”

“Maybe in your book, but most people thought that you all lost the moment you were possessed.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I heard that everyone on the battle lost hope the moment your body was seized.”

I looked around.

“You guys knew we prepared for that opportunity, why would you lose hope?”

“Well, I don’t think any of us were expecting it to actually happen.”

“I guess...”

Mammon spoke up,

“Yeah, I mean, we were told to be ready, but we always sort of expected you’d shake off any attack. You always have. Even when we first realized that you were a dragon and attacked in fear, you shook it off despite the high-level curse. We never actually expected you to lose...”

“That’s a dumb way to be.”

“What??”

“I’m strong, but I am rather weak compared to the shards. I can be beaten without much effort on their part, the only reason I could actually stand up to them at all, was because three of them were on my side. If we didn’t have them, we would've lost fully. If you go into every battle expecting to win by my power, whenever I’m outmatched, you’ll just all collapse. No combatant is indispensable. That is what I’ve been taught since a young age. Think about Calesen, how do they fight? Elren goes in first and causes chaos as his army approaches. If you go into every battle trying to preserve the strong fighters and have no contingencies for their defeat, you’ll either only have the strong left, or have a panic attack the moment they fall. Why do you think I always insist on the front, because I have contingencies in place for my defeat. We are fighting the evil god. Desperately trying to defend me will only get you guys killed. And it may not even be them, remember what Peace said, as an arcane dragon, I am the perfect body for a divinity, so other gods may also make grabs for my body too.”

“Why would other gods go for your body?”

“Because they are power hungry, and having a body gives them more focus over their power, why do you think Envy just started crushing the other shards the moment she possessed me?”

“They are power hungry?”

“Of course, they’ll destroy any stronger than them. Why do you think the evil god wants revenge against them?”

“I see.”

“Yeah, so put that in mind. More powerful beings than the shards will come for me, so what will happen if one of them actually defeats me? Will you all give up and be destroyed, or will you keep fighting and beat them up. If I fall, so what, I’m not the only fighter here am I? If you’d just give up and cry the moment I lose, then get off the battlefield and retire as adventurers.”

I turned back to drinking my water. The guild was silent, their jaws dropped. It was like they’d never even thought about that.

“Huh, well I guess that makes sense. Though I can see why they’d be concerned, I also agree that if they only rely on your strength for everything, they’d just be in the way on the battlefield.”

Asura, as the only S rank in the room, immediately understood what I meant. The weak can fight, but only if they pull their own weight, otherwise, they only inconvenience the strong.

“Well said,”

Dallel, understanding my nature, fully understood my worries as well.

“While I was scared, I still fought full power, because I knew you had something planned, but even if you didn’t, I would still fight. I may be weak, but I won’t be a burden. My pride wouldn’t be able to handle it.”

Mammon nodded.

“A bit harsh, but I fully understand what you mean. In these past few fights, all the guild has done is hold you back. We will work harder and become stronger so we will actually be able to fight alongside you. After all, you are a member of the guild. We’ll fight with ya anyways, may as well actually be helpful.”

I smiled as the guild members began to chime in their agreements. Maybe they weren’t so hopeless after all.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
317 Reviews


Points: 62458
Reviews: 317

Donate
Tue May 28, 2024 5:31 pm
View Likes
RavenAkuma wrote a review...



Hello Again, My Friend!

It's me, Raven, and I'd like to review the next chapter in this great story using my Familiar method! Let's dive in, shall we? Heh heh heh...

What The Black Eyes See...

Ah, I liked this chapter as a way to prop up the other adventurers! Knowing Rose is in a state of recovery, it's only natural that she might feel frustrated to see them still relying on her and being so shaken up when she came close to actually losing a battle, and it was a very interesting point to make. Let's get into the details though.

Where The Dagger Points...

Not much to put here! I liked this discourse between the adventurers and Rose, it was a great thing to bring up during her recovery time. There was only one thing I noticed that isn't even a technical error, but I thought I'd make the recommendation in good faith, free to take or leave.

“Of course, they’ll destroy any stronger than them.


I feel like not following "any" up with a noun read a bit awkwardly, maybe "any [creature, entity, being, etc]" would help.

But that's just my opinion of course, and that's all I have for here. Good writing job ~

Why The Grin Widened...

First of all, I like how Rose is more annoyed by her restrictions than concerned, sounds very much like her character haha. And it's nice to see Asura pop up again! I was wondering when it would happen...and like Rose, I'm just waiting for the next Callel problem.

Asura was also a good way to see the kind of names and rumors that are swirling about Rose, across the nations.

“Godslayer, godtamer, Evil slayer, Sleeping giant, Mirror knight, Evilbane, god of good.”


Needless to say...for being the host of a shard of pure evil, Rose has one glowing reputation. And I like to hear it, as further evidence that her curse does not define her character ~

Hearing that even Mammon was uneasy when Rose came so close to defeat and death, that helped highlight the severity of the situation, and the reach of Rose's impact on the guild. It also makes sense why this would be coming up now, because the guild -and even whole nations- were shaken by the discovery and power of an arcane dragon. Shards and godly entities are a whole new tier, so surely, between them and Rose taking them head-on, people would start to feel small in comparison.

“we were told to be ready, but we always sort of expected you’d shake off any attack. You always have. Even when we first realized that you were a dragon and attacked in fear, you shook it off despite the high-level curse. We never actually expected you to lose...”


And this is a decent point! Rose has had her struggles, but she's always pulled through trouble and recovered fast. That hasn't been quite the case with the shards, and it's easy to see the difference.

But, of course, Rose's response was great and well in line with her character!

If you go into every battle expecting to win by my power, whenever I’m outmatched, you’ll just all collapse. No combatant is indispensable. That is what I’ve been taught since a young age.


If you go into every battle trying to preserve the strong fighters and have no contingencies for their defeat, you’ll either only have the strong left, or have a panic attack the moment they fall. Why do you think I always insist on the front, because I have contingencies in place for my defeat.


This makes perfect sense! Going into a fight relying wholeheartedly on one star player is a terrible strategy, even if it is someone like Rose! Nobody is invincible, after all, and these guys are strong fighters in their own right. And to tie it all together, a perfectly delivered, firm, no-nonsense question from Rose...

“what will happen if one of them actually defeats me? Will you all give up and be destroyed, or will you keep fighting and beat them up. If I fall, so what, I’m not the only fighter here am I? If you’d just give up and cry the moment I lose, then get off the battlefield and retire as adventurers.”


Awesome! Loved that!

Our Mad Thoughts...

Overall, that was a great chapter! I was hoping to catch up fully today, so you can anticipate more reviews, lol. Nicely done! :D

Image






Love the new PFP and review, thank you.



User avatar
1070 Reviews


Points: 62
Reviews: 1070

Donate
Thu May 23, 2024 12:14 pm
View Likes
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



Hello there, human! I'm reviewing using the YWS S'more Method today!

Shalt we commence with the spooky S’more?

Top Graham Cracker - Rose is healing from Sloth, but she doesn’t want anyone to worry about her, because there are others ready to fight, and one person cannot complete a whole battle.

Slightly Burnt Marshmallow - This is fine, I like this chapter.

Chocolate Bar - I like how Rose is telling them that she is not the only fighter around. There are others, and they need to be ready in case Rose is defeated. She wants them to do whatever it takes, even if she falls, and that is an admirable quality to her.

Closing Graham Cracker - Rose is recovering from her injuries, taking a period of rest. Who knows what will happen when she’s done, and what else will wait for her? One will have to see.

I wish you an amazing day/night! :>





Let the wild rumpus start!
— Maurice Sendak