Home » Literary works » Other » Literature

Precept Essay- Meaning

by katiemay

"Audents fortuna invat," or in English, "Fortune favors the bold." -Virgil

By Katie Downing

These words of wisdom can be used in the world many different ways. An example where this saying would apply is in the cases of Kesha and Nicki Minaj; they dress very crazily and are very adventurous with what they wear. They get paid a lot of money for what they do. A more personal situation where this precept would apply is when two girls like the same boy, but one of the girls is too shy to do anything about it, so the other girl asks the boy out and gets him because she stepped up and was bold.

I think this precept means that sometimes you have to take a stand and keep it to accomplish what you want to. It also means that you have to be bold in order to achieve what you want in life, you can't just get everything handed to you. And it also means you have to be willing to take a stand on something or for something, even if it means sticking out, to get what you want. You have to stand your ground and you can't back down.

Virgil's real name was Publius Virgilius Maro, but is Virgil or Vergil in English. He was born on October fifteenth, 70 B.C., which just happens to also be my brother's birthday. He was born in northern Italy in a village known as Andes. His first major works was Eclgues; a poem about the sorrows of the times. He spent seven years on his next major works, the Georgics; a poem that was over two thousand lines and was divided into four books. Virgil died on September twenty first from a fever.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:58 am
Renard wrote a review...

Hello. Me here to review.

So...you start this work with a great intellectual statement.
This is then completely contradicted by your references to Ke$ha and Nicki Minaj.
How on earth are these two talentless divas in any way comparable to one of the greatest poets and thinkers?! (Yes, I am aware this is a matter of opinion, but there is no link here, whatsoever.)
Whilst I appreciate you are trying to make a point about this 'precept' you are doing it in the most shallow way possible, referring to pop stars and romantically complicated situations.
You explain what you think the precept means before randomly babbling into a mini biography of Virgil.
There is no structure or organisation to the points therein.
It is also too short to be classified as an essay in my opinion.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to achieve here. But this has left me confused.
No grammatical or technical issues to speak of, so there is a positive amidst this very strange, very unclear and somewhat meaningless work.
I think this is in need of some serious editing to make clear to your reader what the purpose of this work is.

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:16 pm
dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

Knight Dragon, here to review!

Technical:

"An example where this saying would apply is in the cases of Kesha and Nicki Minaj"

This runs into number agreement. You say you'll give us a single example, and then you give us two. So perhaps you should change this to "Two examples...are...". Also, Kesha's 'stylized' or stage name is "Ke$ha," just so you know.

"so the other girl asks the boy out and gets him because she stepped up and was bold."

I understand that you are saying this is an example where the saying fits, but I think you could just mention the counter-example of where boldness doesn't work and then explain that, although such a scenario exists, the statement holds true for when your example works. Just thought that might help strengthen the essay a little bit.

"It also means that you have to be bold in order to achieve what you want in life, you can't just get everything handed to you."

This is a comma splice. You used a semi-colon appropriately earlier, so you should either use one here or break this into two sentences.

With your last paragraph, it feels a little out of place. It's almost like you were going to keep the essay going, but then you stopped. It's a biographical statement, and I understand you feel this is necessary to help us understand the context of the statement, but I feel that you should either incorporate this into the piece a little better (i.e. we go straight from the intro to the explanation and application of the statement. Perhaps put the bio before the middle paragraph?).

Hope this helps!

Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm
beeyaay wrote a review...

you have no idea how inspiring this is, or you do right? I was troubled for a while but something here caught me and i have swallowed it and accepted it; "you can't just get everything handed to you." That's so true so for that it is real.
I have never heard of vigil before but when someone does something outstanding even once in his life so I have a new found respect for him! Keep writing, this is beautiful!
Love,
Anonymous :P

I wondered why we put villains in our stories when we have plenty of them in real life; then I realized that maybe we wanted stories where the good guy wins.
— nogutsnoglory