The Piano's Tune

by kaializzy

While out hunting, a man found an old, broken down piano. Although it was missing a leg, it still stood upright. But something was off about the piano. It gave off a spooky aura that scared the man. He walked towards the piano, and with every step, he got more and more interested in it. He reached the out and touched one of the keys gently. The sound rang softly through the woods. He didn't know what it was about the piano, but something was different and unique. It could've been the soft ring of the keys, the way it rang out through the silent woods, or even the way it only had one leg. He found it surprising that the piano was still tuned, and that it still had all of the keys, as if it was waiting for someone to play it. His hands lingered over the keys, eager to play. As if someone gave him a signal, he started to play a fast, jittery tune. As he played, his face was filled with excitement. Then, the tune got slower and slower, until suddenly, he stopped playing, and looked around again. Then, he walked away..... 

About a year later, the man returned. He found the piano in the exact same spot, but it was different. The broken leg was fixed, and there was a chair, as if it wanted him to sit down and play. He set down his gun, and sat down. Then he played the same old tune as he played last year. But this year, it was different. It was a softer tone, smoother even. He played the song twice, then picked up his gun and walked away. Every year, the man returned to the piano and played the same song. Then he suddenly stopped coming....

Ten years later, the man returned once again, wanting to play the piano once more before he died. He played the tune he had played so long ago. Playing the song brought back memories, and that made him think, " Do I really have to part with this piano?" Then he thought, "why not stay here with this old piano until my death came?" So he did. When it did come, he was sitting there, playing the same old tune, on his beloved piano. 

The ghost of that man is still there, sitting on the chair of his beloved piano. And on some nights, you can hear the quiet tune he played, so long ago... He got his wish, but will you get yours?

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:26 am
LeeLeeLee wrote a review...

Hi, kaializzy

I read your story because I know a lot of people who play piano. I don't play myself (I do violin), but I'm really glad I got to read your story. It has a really nice flow, and it made me feel kind of nostalgic. It is supernatural, but believable. Just a couple of small word suggestions, I guess. For 'he got more and more interested in it,' maybe replace the word 'got' something else, like 'grew,' 'became.' Also with 'He found the piano in the exact same spot', may choose another word for 'spot'? Aside from that, nothing really, this story was great. I'm taking guesses in my head as to what is going on in this guy's life aside from this piano while I'm typing. Thanks for sharing!

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:09 pm
lelu wrote a review...

Loved it! One question: First you say that the piano was missing a leg, and then you say it only has one. Does it have a blocky leglike thing in the back like some pianos I've seen? Otherwise, I liked the fact that, when he comes back, the leg is fixed and there's a chair. Who did this? Very mysterious. Also the fact that it may give other wishes. I give it 3 stars out of 5. Now for another brief topic: Do you trust Big Brother? I mean, seriously? We all need to be careful. By my calculations the guy is at least 24. What's his motive? Are we all in the middle of some big plot?

Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:20 am
Cub wrote a review...

Hey kaializzy! Cool story! I like your concept--there's something almost Shel Silverstein-esque about the man and the piano--it reminds me of The Giving Tree for some reason! Still, I definitely love the whimsical feel of the story--it reminds me of a sort of horror-type tale, but not in a terrifying way--you know, a nice ghost!
Still, you do need a little bit of work. For example, some of your phrases are a little bit awkward. "and with every step, he got more and more interested in it." The writing here, as in some other areas, is just a little bit awkward. "got", for example, might be better written as "grew". It's little things like that that cause trouble with the pacing of your story, taking away the tension. I think in areas like that, you need a little bit of work. Otherwise, however, this is a good story, with a neat and creative idea behind it. Good luck with future writing!

Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:26 am
Brigadier wrote a review...

Howdy there partner and happy review day. Hate to waste too many words so let's just take this from the top.

While out hunting, a man found an old, broken down piano. Although it was missing a leg, it still stood upright. But something was off about the piano.

My method is to usually judge a piece by its first few lines because this is the best foot that the author is putting forward. From here I can decide if I want to read the rest or not, and based off what I've seen so far, I think I will be continuing on. It is a bit of a rough start though and the wording doesn't do you much mercy, it's sort of wonky in its standing and I can see where a reader would have doubts about the happenings. There's also a bit of repetition going on here because we can assume something isn't right about the piano, from how you described it in the previous two lines. It's not like you really overdid it too much, it's just one of those little things that sticks with me as I'm going along, and will probably come back to nag me later on.

It gave off a spooky aura that scared the man. He walked towards the piano, and with every step, he got more and more interested in it. He reached the out and touched one of the keys gently. The sound rang softly through the woods.

This piece is short enough for me to break it down into little groups and go through them each as a section. Here we see the plot building a little bit but the wording is still tripping you up, which is what disappoints me most. Because I really do like the sort of plot that you're trying to form here but I keep getting distracted by the minor things happening along side of it.
Like Feltrix mentioned, there are some rather cheesy parts that are happening in your story but I kind of expected them considering modern horror pieces. And this is just another minor nitpick, but you might want to rearrange the formatting some, the indents really aren't necessary and on YWS they really space things out.
I did like the descriptions of the sounds of the notes and you could say that they really resonated with me. Sorry music joke.

He didn't know what it was about the piano, but something was different and unique. It could've been the soft ring of the keys, the way it rang out through the silent woods, or even the way it only had one leg. He found it surprising that the piano was still tuned, and that it still had all of the keys, as if it was waiting for someone to play it.

I'm starting to enjoy this story a bit more as we're reaching into some actual horror and magical elements, rather than just skirting around the idea like what happened previously. It brings in the idea of ghosts and similar things happening, or at least magic in some form that has enchanted this piano. You also have created stereotypical horror victim in which they mess around with something even though their gut tells them they should get out of there. Even though I dislike this type of standardized character, I recognize that he must exist for the sake of the story.

His hands lingered over the keys, eager to play. As if someone gave him a signal, he started to play a fast, jittery tune. As he played, his face was filled with excitement. Then, the tune got slower and slower, until suddenly, he stopped playing, and looked around again. Then, he walked away.....

So first off, please cut those ellipsis down if you're going to use them. I wouldn't even use them at all here even though I know the kind of effect that you were hoping to gain from them. Let me just tell you this simply, they are not working out for the amount of drama that you want to be happening. And they're not even really invoking the right type of questioning and wondering from the audience. They are better to use at the very, very end of a piece, rather than halfway through when you still have some story left to tell.
The half ending here is rather disappointing because I was hoping for a stronger close to the first act.

Again, with the ellipsis. I do see a slight build in it being eerie here and then it moves into the funky conflict that could possibly be the ending, but probably won't be. My disappointment from how the previous part went has faded away some because you actually did a good job of leading into the mystery this time. That being said, the whole story does still feel rather cheesy overall and overused, even though I've never seen this particular usage before. The wording just makes it sound like a story that's been told ten thousand times before, which can both a good and bad thing, depending on how the reader is looking at it.

This part caused a bit of confusion to me over the timeline because you have been jumping around a little bit with the plot. And I probably should have mentioned it before, but it seems even more appropriate to be placed down here. I think it's mostly an issue with the pacing going and you're just moving through the subject matter really creepy. This would actually be a great prospect for you consider revising because it has enough key points that you could turn it into something great. At the moment though, my overall ruling is going to have to rest at okay.

You're trying to reach out to the audience with this. I have seen many people try for this effect and to be honest with you, most of them end up falling flat. That's how your attempt felt to me, it meant well but it didn't follow through because there wasn't enough support behind it. I think most of all you really need to work on your building skills and getting the plot to those key points.

I guess that's really all I've got for now. If you've got any questions about this review, feel free to PM me.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:14 am
inktopus wrote a review...

Hey, kaializzy! Storm here for a review this fine Review Day, so let's jump right into it!

Although it was missing a leg, it still stood upright.

I consider myself quite the connoisseur of pianos (I have played the piano for years) and I cannot think of a single way for a piano without its fourth leg to stand up. Please explain how this piano is still upright. Is it floating? What's going on with this piano?

He walked towards the piano, and with every step, he got more and more interested in it.

Don't just tell us that he became more and more interested in the piano. Show us. Show don't tell, is the biggest, most important, pieces of advice a writer can receive and follow. Maybe have his eyes widen, his heart race. Does this piano evoke images of him learning piano as a kid?

Then, he walked away.....

It's a personal pet peeve of mine to see ellipses used outside of dialogue. I just find it kind of tacky and unprofessional. I understand that you are not a professional writer, but I feel like all writers should strive for the highest level of writing one can achieve. Also, the standard number of periods for ellipses is 3. No more, no less.

Then he played the same old tune as he played last year. But this year, it was different.

Both of these sentences can't be called sentences at all. They're fragments. Now, sometimes fragments can be used for effect and are intentional, but this is probably not intentional, and it just seems plain wrong. As a general rule, it's best to follow all grammar rules until you're quite an experienced writer. You must first understand why the rules are in place because you can effectively break them.

Then he suddenly stopped coming....

This is both a fragment, and it has the same issue with the ellipses as I said above. Why did he stop coming anyway? There are so many unexplained bits and pieces to this story.

Ten years later, the man returned once again, wanting to play the piano once more before he died.

You use the word 'once' twice in this sentence, and it chokes up the flow. I think rewording it to the effect of, "Ten years later, the man returned, wanting to play the piano once before he died."

Playing the song brought back memories, and that made him think, " Do I really have to part with this piano?" Then he thought, "why not stay here with this old piano until my death came?"

Show, don't tell applies here too. Show us the memories the song brought back. Why does he like this piano so much? And is this guy planning to just hang out with this piano until he starves or freezes to death?

He got his wish, but will you get yours?

I don't think I understand the point of this last line. Why do you need to question the audience? It's not really a follow-up on anything you said before, so I don't get why this was included.

Overall, I found a lot of issues with the writing itself. You reuse a lot of the same or similar words, and it seemed that you avoided elaborating on just about everything, from possible plot points to just description in general. There's nothing wrong with short but sweet descriptions, but yours were just short and ineffective. You had a lot of incomplete sentences (which translates to incomplete thoughts which are never ideal) and you used a lot of the word 'then' which became very repetitive very quickly. I also found that your sentences, while the structure was fine, did not convey the information of the story very well at all. You did not present this story very well.

While on that note, where was the story? This guy randomly finds a piano, goes to it every year, stops, goes again, and then decides that he's going to die there. What was the point? Where were the stakes? At what point are the readers invested in this character and what happens to him? Quick answer: at no point does any of that happen. All stories need a plot. Your story doesn't have one. At the cost of the plot comes the cost of readers. No one wants to read a story that doesn't have a reason for being written other than you just felt like it. There needs to be an actual story to be told. Otherwise, people aren't going to care to read it. People want to be thrilled. They want to be in suspense of what's going to happen next. If there are no stakes, there's no suspense, and if there's no suspense you have no invested readers.

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, but I enjoy helping writers, and sugarcoating words is not what helps writers. You can improve, and if you take other people's advice, you definitely will (it's next to impossible to not improve at writing)

If you have any questions or comments, you can pm me or talk to me in a reply to this review. I'm happy to help!

~Storm

Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:00 am
Feltrix wrote a review...

Hello! Feltrix here for a review!

I. First off, in the first paragraph, things are a little abrupt, but I think that's okay for the most part. Still, you might want to elaborate on certain parts and split it into several paragraphs. A lot happens there.

II.

It gave off a spooky aura that scared the man.
Don't use 'spooky.' Or 'creepy.' By now, the word has developed an almost cheery connotation because of Halloween, and even if it didn't, it's the horror equivalent of using the word 'stuff' to describe things. Eerie, unsettling, etc. works fine. There are myriad synonyms.

III. Sometimes in the first paragraph, we're given information about what the man does, but not what he's thinking which makes some of his decisions seem spontaneous. He's scared by the piano, right? So why does he touch the piano? (This could be as simple as saying that he was curious). Also, he leaves the piano very abruptly. Why?

IV.
Then, he walked away.....
I wouldn't use ..... It seems a little cliché. Also, how does the man leave? Running? He's had a very strange encounter with a piano in the middle of the woods. He's probably not just going to saunter off.

V. I'd like just a little bit more info on how the music sounds and what's happening when the man is playing. I know it's hard to accurately describe music. Just a little bit more... (So I don't seem hypocritical, I only use ... when I'm not writing a novel or short story.)

VI. You sometimes use the same word twice very close together. In the first paragraph, you have 'As if' twice and in the second you have 'sit down' and 'sat down' right next to each other. This can be changed to 'seated' or something, but it seems kind of repetitive the way it is.

VII. Out of curiosity more than literary critiquing, does the man know how to play piano, or is it some ghostly power? Maybe reflect on this. It's up to you.

VIII. So, you should try to cut down on your use of adverbs. I've been told by several published authors that they are bad. It's not the end of the world if you use a few, but I think you use 'suddenly' several times, and I'm not sure you need to. Food for thought.

IX. The dialogue has a few typos. There's no space between " and the word starting after. Also, you forgot to capitalize the start of the second sentence.

X. Okay, so let's talk about the end. "His ghost is still there to this day" is a little cliché, but I can live with it. You address the reader at the end and it feels a little like you just want to rap up the story hear. I didn't see a lot of the man wishing to return to the piano, he just sort of... did. I sympathize with you here; I'm bad at endings. I honestly don't know how to improve upon the ending you have here, so just think about it.

XI. I would have liked to have the piano be a bit more supernatural. It would be interesting to hear about the piano wanting to be played or a ghostly/enchanting/entrancing melody or the man becoming obsessed with the idea of playing the piano as if it was controlling him in some way. Of course, you don't have to do any of this, but I'm here to make suggestions.

So, I honestly enjoyed the read. Sometimes you were a little brief in your descriptions, but I think that's okay for this genre. I think if you stretched a few moments out and jammed in some more ominous descriptions, you could make this a great short horror story. I hope this review wasn't too harsh, because I liked what I read.

Feltrix

Is that a carrot?
— WeepingWisteria