Crazy, Stupid, Brilliant

by joshuapaul

I seldom make a bad decision about what I see at the theatre. In an age where the latest films are just a click away, it's difficult to justify spending $15.00, to squeeze into a sticky seat while a 300 pound man, bagged in cliche fatman attire (you know the type, new balance runners, three quarter cut-offs and a T-shirt that could double as a piece of camping equipment), grazes beside me. Again my sense prevailed, Crazy, Stupid, Love, for me is the film of the season, hands down.

Here's why.

Steve Carell abandons his trademark Michael Scott humour, or rather water's it down, and offers us a much more real performance. He carries genre newbies, Ryan Gosling and Julienne Moore, through the particularly slow scenes. His performance echoes his role in Little Miss Sunshine. At times so real and heart wrenching, then at others times so undeniably hilarious.

Emma Stone once again justifies her sudden emergence as one of the biggest stars in Hollywood. Seldom does a star rise so quickly without inevitably taking a few bad role choices, Stone for me still holds a clean sheet. She is funny, she is charming and she exhibits the making of a silver screen mainstay. Stealing scenes from partner in crime Gosling and truly putting her hand up for critical appraisal.

Supporting roles by young stars and comedy veteran, Jonah Bobo and Marisa Tomei, don't go missed. Here is a teenage star that may, very well, be appearing more and more over the coming years. Bobo's brilliant portrayal of a young love struck dope is so believable and innocent, at times, I could see him stealing the show. Tomei of Anger Management and The Wrestler fame, steps into a reasonably unfamiliar role, and plays the role of manic abandoned lover well. While her performance is at times a little lacking, for the most part she makes up for it.

The story seems a little shaky and predictable midway through, and perhaps this is it's only downfall, but a sudden series of twists blind-sides you, leaves you reeling and at times admittedly doubting where the story would conclude -- but, let's face it, it's a Rom-Com, so we all know where it ends.

The entire ensemble brings something unique to the character, and it shines through in every scene. I have only genuinely enjoyed two Rom-Com's in the past: About a Boy and Love Actually, well I think it is time to move over Hugh Grant, a new age of humour has dawned and your genre now belongs to the fresh faces of Crazy, Stupid, Love.

4/5

I wrote this in about 15 minutes, in a sleepy stupor. Just got back from the theatre. This is a just-for-fun piece but critiques are welcomed. Also, the only big movie of the summer I haven't seen is Harry Potter 8. I hope I don't ruffle any feathers by suggesting Carrel trumps Potter. But he does. :D

Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:37 pm
myintensity wrote a review...

I loved this movie it really portrayed what true love should be. The characters were all great, and all the twists were amazing. I can't wait to watch it again. :!:

tori1234 wrote a review...

I loved this movie. I thought it was great how Emma and Ryan's characters (I forgot the character names =)

didn't have sex the first time.
I also loved that little twist at the end where we find out
that Emma is actually Steve's daughter.
I so should've seen that one coming, but it was still great.

RenGrey wrote a review...

Jp,
I really enjoyed your review. It was solid and stayed brilliant beginning to end. It was brief and humorous in the beginning and stated reasons WHY the movie was good as you said it was. Instead of just your opinion. Now I am really pushing to go see this flim. Thanks for you review. It changed my mindset of the flim

mikepyro wrote a review...

Liesonlies, don't bother commenting on stuff you haven't bothered to see. Please, save us.
While I disagree as to whether C,S,L is best of the season (Hp7, Captain America, and XMen:first class were all excellent summer films) I agree it is probably the best romantic comedy since 500 Days of Summer and Love, Actually.

Quite a solid review, I enjoyed reviewing it (see what I did there?)
Also if you enjoyed Carrell here I highly reccomend his performances in Little Miss Sunshine and Dan in Real Life.

joshuapaul says...

Sorry lies, that was harsh. I didn't want to ruin it for the people who haven't seen. But,the reason you are wrong is

Steve Carrells character, Cal, doesn't fall in love with another woman. And his wife character is anything but a bimbo, she is complex and cleverly written.

joshuapaul says...

Have you seen it? Because you were wrong. That's all I will say. I had the same mindset as you, but give it a chance. It's much better than you probably think.

LiesOnLies wrote a review...

The story seems a little shaky and predictable midway through

Dude, the whole story is predictable. Which is why I don't plan on seeing it because we already know what's going to happen. The bimbo wife wants a divorce and the guy soon falls in love with someone else and lives somewhat happily ever after. What's more disturbing is the fact that they make the 17 year old girl have a crush on the old guy played by Steve..that's just gross

Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:51 pm
SophiaBurnette wrote a review...

Thank you for posting this! I think I'll go see Crazy, Stupid, Love now! It's good to know that Steve Carrel has once again done a great job. I'm not a big fan of Rom-Coms, but judging by this review, I may make an exception. Again, thank-you and keep reviewing! :D

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
— Napoleon Bonaparte