Just Me and My Friend [short story]

by AkuRashomon

Just him and I bickering all the time to annoy our siblings since childhood. He's my best friend in crime and prankster of the two of us. We tease my sister because she has a crush on guys in school. We tease our moms because they hate bugs. We tease his puppy, Luna because she keeps biting her tail. 

But one day, he told me he lost his mole on his cheek. He said he's a dancer and one time he danced so much, that he looked at the mirror and it was gone. Sadly, all the people in school thought he was really handsome and attractive with his mole. Now, we're called equals or twins. None of us have moles and are the tallest in the school. We are the one that bicker and bicker about people that makes us laugh at the back of class. 

I just love him so much. Childhood besties forever!

Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:08 pm
Echo924 wrote a review...

Hello! I'm here to review your story!

WHAT WAS GOOD
First, I love how you put so much meaning into just three paragraphs. I caught many things from this short story:
1. Childhood best friends who love each other very much.
2. Affection for each other's families
3. Enjoy causing mischief together
4. Being laughed at together
5. Annoying family together, especially siblings
That made me think about my own best friend, which leads me to:

Second, I liked how your story had few enough details that it could make me think about my own best friend. I liked that you wrote just enough details to say "here are these friends in particular" but not so clear it doesn't allow our memories into the story.

Third, you put humor into the story. It's humorous and affectionate at the same time. Again, just how I think about my best friend. I love how you've truly shown the affection between the two best friends.

Fourth, I like the story of the one friend losing his mole. Everyone else now thinks he's unattractive without the mole and they don't like it. But his true friend, the main character, sticks with him. That seems to symbolize how people can tell their friends something about themself and sometimes their friends with leave, but the one who stays in the one who matters. That's this main character.

Fifth, I like the definition of beat friend at the end. That adds a nice touch to such a short, sweet story.

WHAT COULD BE BETTER
The one thing I did keep noticing throughout this story is the grammar. Here are the specifics:
1. The "Just him and I" should be changed to "Just he and I", as he is part of the subject of the sentence.
2. In the last sentence of the first paragraph you wrote, "we tease his puppy, Luna because". There should be a comma after Luna if there's a comma after puppy, or there shouldn't be a comma after puppy because there's not a comma after Luna. Either would work.
3. In the second paragraph, "We are the one" should be changed to "We are the ones", because "one" refers to "we", and we refers to multiple people.

OVERALL
Overall, this was a cute short story. I would just correct the grammar, and then it'd be perfect!

- Echo

AkuRashomon says...

Thanks, I am glad to make you remember your best friend and how different your point of view of the story is compared to some people I have met. <3

Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:56 pm

This is a really cute short story! I like how they stay friends even after one of them lost their mole. The one true friend stayed with him. I feel like him losing his mole symbolizes how they have become such good friends that they are now identical. Once friends, always friends, no matter what, they’ll both see it through.

I enjoyed reading this little story. I wish you a fantastic day/night!

AkuRashomon says...

Thank you! Have a fantastic day/night too^^

Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:27 am

First Impression: Back on another one of your stories and it seems once again we have ourselves a really wholesome little gem here. Your stories are always so simple but so wholesome and honestly I adore the concepts that you manage to touch upon with that simple little goal.

So diving into this one, it seems to tell the story of two best friends growing up together. I really love the way you started and ended this with the idea of them bickering. It sort of seems to create a little sort of touchstone there for us to start with and then come to an end with. The ideas that are there in between of how these two just sort of seems to always try and do things together is a lovely little sequence. It seems the standard fare for somewhat younger children at the start, then we've got that stage where the two of them seemed different and there was just a hint of some conflict before immediately ends with these two probably being in the last few years of school together despite that little hiccup in the middle.

Overall: Overall this is a beautiful little depiction of childhood friends. It covers a decent little arc despite being so short and of course it leaves us with a big smile on our faces. What more can one expect from a little short story like this?

AkuRashomon says...

Thabk you so much @HarryHardy!

AkuRashomon says...

*thank sorry for the misspelled word^^

KateHardy says...

You're Welcome!!

I have lived through much, and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good... then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbor - such is my idea of happiness.
— Leo Tolstoy