Rosabelle

by jaustenFan18

It would have seemed like an ordinary day, coffee in the morning, checking the mail, driving to work. No one ever expects the unexpected. It seems as if your life is preordained and set in an unending cycle of the same events. So when the unexpected does happen, well its unexpected. I can still hear the sound of my bones breaking, splintering into a thousand pieces like the shattered glass piercing my muscles. The steering wheel just seemed to detach from the dashboard like the top off a glue stick. I remember the way it smashed into my skull, the way it pushed my eyes into the back of my head, and the way my brain screamed at impact. I don’t remember my arm ever breaking but when I tried to crawl out of my car I can remember what it felt like to have your arm bent at an unnatural angle. But most of all I remember the regret, the guilt and the pain. Not the pain of my injuries but the pain within my heart. That pain I knew no amount of morphine or medicine could ever ease, no machine of any kind could make my heart beat the way it used to with the happiness and wildness of a young woman. A young woman with so many plans, and a fairytale future that would never happen. My entire future, my entire existence seemed to fade into a black hole. I became empty, nothing to live for except that small hope that I learned to bury deep into the dark abyss of my tortured mind. I couldn’t see anything I felt nothing except the kitchen counter, I couldn’t hear anything except the sound of my walking stick as it hit the hard concrete and anything else that beyond my ability to feel. This is the story of a young woman whose life was perfect in more ways than one, whose life was torn out of her bruised hands. But most of all this is the story about a young woman who was left lifeless and yet she still breathed. And about a man who brought her back to life. This is a story of how she learned to see again. This is my story.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:42 am
tr3x wrote a review...

Hey, you really need to work on paragraph structuring. It was a good introductory piece, but I feel it's kind of unoriginal - a story about a damaged young woman who recovers with the help of her beloved boyfriend/husband/friend. Anyway, if this is what you want to write, write it with passion! Don't let me put you down.
I liked the imagery, the raw emotion behind the crash, but one thing did not ring true. You mentioned guilt. Why would she feel guilty about crashing herself? You really have to get into the emotions of the characters. I myself don't write highly emotional pieces, so I'm not the best judge, but that's what I would have liked.

Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:32 am
tommyknocker wrote a review...

Hey there!

First off why not break this piece into a few paragraphs instead of just one 'lump.'

Anyway, this is short but it's not a bad thing. The plot is fresh to my eyes, but I only I wish there was more to it.

Maybe there is? And this is just the start of something bigger? Also, I feel this needs more description. You say how your brain screamed at impact and was waiting for a simile...But none came.

And, did you purposelessly change to a different point of view at the end? I felt a bit bewildered when this happened that's all.

But all things aside. I did like this short piece. Keep writing and enjoy the life you lead!

~ T.K

I was weeping as much for him as her; we do sometimes pity creatures that have none of the feeling either for themselves or others.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights