She Shines

by jams

It was a normal Tuesday after work, coming to an end of a very grey summer in the city. I came meet her at our default exit at the main station around 8 pm. She was wearing her most common outfit. A very informal and loose blue blouse, big white shoes and casual cream trousers. She knew I loved it, perhaps that had something to do with her wearing it so often. Although I’m not quite sure anymore.

I had not seen her for 3 days, I was impatient and it had been a very long day, so I gave her a very intense hug, right now my doubts tell maybe that hug wasn't corresponded, but I wouldn't be able to tell.

But it was an overall good day, she was happy, with that smile that just lightened up the whole alley. It was dark, it was dodgy, but she just walked as like nothing matter. Telling me about her day and how happy she was she was out of the office, simple stuff, regular day.

And right there I noticed it, she did not walk. She was floating. She walked so gracefully, while telling me a story about a normal situation of everyday life, but she was filled with energy. She just kept going, I was blown away. Sometimes I wonder now if I was too quiet all the time, but I was always amazed by her, fascinated. Hypnotised by stupid things that by the way she tells stories sounded like an amazing adventure. She was saying that she talked to a long time friend after several months and in my mind sounded like new world being discovered. I didn't quite know back then but now I'm sure.

By the end of the street before hitting the lights of the street again we always got to this bar with a name she truly loved, and she immediately turned around, halfway through to look at me, with half a smile and the face of a 5 year old that just did something very cheeky. It was a face of looking for recognition, looking for acceptance but always with that strong confidence, always cocky feeling. 

Out of impulse I had to hug her. I just held her every single time. I have never felt this strong need of protecting somebody. Of making sure she was safe. Not that she needed it though. She was the type of girl that would smack a glass of whisky in your hand and go wash her hands with fancy cream so her hands are not ruined. The perfect combination of a rock star and a piece of old porcelain.

There are countless number of days like that. Where ordinary turned into spectacular. This level of amusement led me to ignore what was happening in the real world. I saw her turning one more time at me with her half smile. She ask me politely not to put her in a position where she had to turn me down. I said I wouldn’t. I promised. Her wishes are still more important than mine. 

I ran across her path last night. A completely random train heading a way neither of us would be normally using. I believed she saw me, I know I did. It's funny how life can turn loved ones into total strangers. She was alone. She was happy. I was not alone but miserable. She shines. She will always shine. 

Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:00 am
Jenika wrote a review...

Well hey! I'm so thrilled to know that there's a new writer too, just like me! I absolutely loved the plot of this story. How I wish I could've come up with something like this! There are just a couple small adjustments that might need to be made if you don't mind.

"I have never felt this strong need of protecting somebody. Of making sure she was safe. Not that she needed it though."

I could only imagine that desire to protect someone, and somehow that really got to me (in a fantastic way, of course!). However, I think that maybe we could join these sentences together, maybe like this: 'I have never felt this strong need to protect someone, of making sure she was safe--not that she needed it though.'

"The perfect combination of a rock star and a piece of old porcelain."

Maybe for this you could put a 'She was' just before the 'The'.

Well, I think that's about all I could think of! As said before, fantastic plot. Please keep up the amazing work.

Happy writing!!! ^^

P.S: Sorry about the bad quoting! Kinda new here lol

Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:36 am
Carlito wrote a review...

Hello and welcome to YWS! We're happy to have you here! :D

I'm a sucker for a good love story, and I thought this story was cute. I really liked that you were able to take such a simple meeting such simple acts and make them meaningful. You don't need fanfare and making out to capture real emotion in two people :) I also liked the overall simplicity of this and that you kept it short. There are plenty of places you could expand this story into a longer short, but I feel like you're trying to keep it more of a flash fiction, super short length and that's fine. I'll point out a couple of places I think you could expand in case you are looking to make this a bit longer, but if not no worries!

Some more specific thoughts about this story:

It was a normal Tuesday after work, coming to an end of a very grey summer in the city.

I really liked how you set the stage for the story here. I love that this is just a regular day, nothing too exciting is happening because it makes the encounter stand out more.

She was wearing her most common outfit. A very informal and loose blue blouse, big white shoes and casual cream trousers. She knew I loved it,

I also love that this is described as a "common outfit" - there's nothing special about it, and yet, he loves it. The whole frame of the story is so sweet and so simple because it's just two regular people on a regular day.

perhaps that had something to do with her wearing it so often. Although I’m not quite sure anymore.

I'm not sure you need that second sentence. It feels like an after thought to the sentence before it and I'm sure what it adds. He's not sure he likes it? He's not sure she wears it because she knows he likes it? What is he not sure of? And why does it matter that he's not quite sure?

This is a very long sentence. You've broken it up a bit with four commas, but this could be cut into multiple sentences. Remember that shorter sentences naturally add some intrigue and suspense because the reader can read them faster and thus move through the prose faster.
What about the hug makes him think that the hug wasn't corresponded? Is it his own inner doubt and he's making something out of nothing, or is there something in the hug that makes him think that?
"but I wouldn't be able to tell" what? What is that in reference to?

Telling me about her day and how happy she was she was out of the office, simple stuff, regular day.

Now if this was a longer piece I would probably want to see this conversation they have, but I don't think you need it in this piece. I think there's something nice and simple with the way you've chosen to tell this story with the narrator simply recalling what happened to the reader.

while telling me a story about a normal situation of everyday life,

I think you could get a little more specific here about what this "normal situation" is. You don't have to go into huge detail, maybe just define what that is exactly.

Sometimes I wonder now if I was too quiet all the time,

Why did he wonder this? Was he unable to speak when he was around her? Did he never want to interrupt because he was so captivated by everything she said? Did he worry that it bothered her? Did he have any evidence that it bothered her?

I didn't quite know back then but now I'm sure.

This is vague. What did he not know then that he knows now?

we always got to this bar with a name she truly loved,

I think you could be more specific here as well and actually name the bar and tell the reader she loves the name. It'll show more of her personality to know what she loves on more specific terms.

Out of impulse I had to hug her. I just held her every single time. I have never felt this strong need of protecting somebody. Of making sure she was safe.

This didn't feel connected to me. So they see this bar she likes and he feels the need to hug her like he does whenever she's safe and protected? What is he protecting her from? What's the danger? How does she react to this?

There are countless number of days like that. Where ordinary turned into spectacular.

How did this day with her end?

This level of amusement led me to ignore what was happening in the real world.

How so? What's he ignoring?

I saw her turning one more time at me with her half smile. She ask me politely not to put her in a position where she had to turn me down. I said I wouldn’t. I promised. Her wishes are still more important than mine.

Are they still outside of this bar and he's hugging her to protect her? Where did this little discussion about not turning him down come from? And what does that mean? What does she want from him and what does he want from her?

So it didn't work out with them? Bittersweet ending here, but I like it :)

So overall, like I said in the beginning I think this is a nice little piece because I love how you made the mundane and the normal shine. I thought the way you chose to tell the story (very short and the narrator walking us through what happened) was a good way to do it. The biggest piece I would have to give overall is to not be afraid to get specific. The overall simplicity of this piece also tends to get a bit vague at times. I think the simplicity works for you, but don't be afraid to give a little more detail.

Let me know if you have any questions, if anything I said was confusing, or if you need anything at all as you get used to the site! :D

mellifera wrote a review...

Hello jams! I'm here for a little review on your work.

First off, let me just say that I love the way you wrote it. You went into a good amount of detail about how much person A loves person B, but how sad it just so happens that B doesn't feel that same way about A (if you wrote their names down and I just completely missed it, I do apologize. Or if I'm misinterpreting it)

I came meet her at our default exit at the main station around 8 pm.

You forgot the 'to' in the 'came meet her'

Just my confusion, but I would like if you clarified what station. I think of a train station (and it only emphasizes that more later), but it could mean a lot of stations. A bus station, a radio station?

The only other thing (again, this is just me and don't feel at all obligated to do anything about it), but the word default bothers me in this context? I would tend to use something more along the lines of 'I came to meet her at our normal meeting spot, near the exit of the main station at around 8pm.' but it's really up to you.

It was dark, it was dodgy, but she just walked as like nothing matter.

I think you meant something more like 'but she just walked as if nothing else mattered'.

It was a face of looking for recognition, looking for acceptance but always with that strong confidence, always cocky feeling.

The use of always twice so close together bothers me. I'm not sure how you would write that (maybe 'but always with a strong confidence and a cocky feeling'?), but I would just not have those two 'always' so close together, because it ends up sounding a little funny?

Other than those little nitpicks, it's really nicely written, aside from a few other grammar mistakes that I'm not covering here (but we're all human and grammar mistakes are inevitable). I like how you portrayed the emotion of it and left the characters more anonymous (again, if I missed it, I'm sorry), leaving who they are to the reader's imagination. It's a very good setting and context for it, and I hope to see more from you in the future!

-inky :)

jams says...

Hi scribbleinks thanks a lot for the comment and glad you enjoyed it. It's really good to have your feedback as this is a story I am writing at the moment and I began to write it in Spanish, my native language! So I still have a long way to write perfectly in English. THis is just a short passage of the story and I will be posting more definitely, and hopefully the fully finish story as well.

Thanks a lot. Good vibes.

mellifera says...

Really? That's so cool! I wish I could write in a different language but sadly I'm not quite there yet. I'm actually trying to do the opposite right now and learn Spanish. But aside from that, your English is pretty good overall! I completely understand if somethings don't quite translate, and it's always a learning process, but I'm sure you'll get there! I can't wait to see more of this, and I hope you finish the story too :)

Anytime! Same to you.

The blood jet is poetry and there is no stopping it.
— Sylvia Plath