z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Mature Content

Prized - Chapter One

by itsCate


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language and mature content.

Chapter one:

Zack's POV

My footsteps echo down the hall. I look down at my watch, it was too late to still be at work. I keep my pace and turn down another hallway. The white was shine and the lights are bright. The skyscraper is is quiet, most people left to go home. I grabbed my keys and unlocked the door to my office. Walking in, my eyes look up at the windows that look over the city. I was a beautiful sight, the tall skyscrapers and lights in the dark night sky. I sit in my chair and look out the window. There was a loud bang at my door, why so soon? Why didn’t they wait until morning?

“Come in!” I yell the door opens and Jack Walks in, Johnson behind him holding onto a girls arm. She was tall and dark haired, I couldn’t see her eyes. She looked up at me, her face gentle and her eyes an ice blue. She looked scared.

“Who is she?” I ask Johnson.

“She said her name was Katie, she didn’t give a last name. I don’t know what she wants she had requested to meet you.”

Oh?

“Well you both can leave. Thank you.” I watch as They both leave then my eyes move to the girl.

“So, Katie,” I say slowly “What can I help you with?”

She smiled at me, her teeth perfectly straight.

“Everything Mr. Wood.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
212 Reviews


Points: 12011
Reviews: 212

Donate
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:19 am
ScarlettFire wrote a review...



Hi there @itsCate! My name is Scarlett, and I'll be reviewing you chapter today!

My first impression upon looking at this is "it's short". Which is not a bad thing! I just think you could put so much more into this! Most books have a decently sized first chapter, and some have a really short one. For example, the first chapter of Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver has only like one page? In fact, quite a few of her chapters are short and there's one that's literally like... 9 sentences long. So short isn't always a bad thing. And prologues are generally very short, too! If I remember correctly, Twilight's prologue was less than a page long. So yeah, if you want to make this longer, go for it. If not, then that's cool, too!

Now, onto the nit-picky stuff. And I'll warn you; first person, present tense is not something I generally like. But don't let that bother you. I'll try not to focus on that. ^^

My footsteps echo down the hall.

I'm not sure what it is about this, but it feels incomplete? Like, the hall of what? A mansion? An office building? You need to clarify. XD

I look down at my watch, it was too late to still be at work.

Okay, this could either be two separate sentences ooooor you could try a semi-colon (this: ;). Like this:

"I look down at my watch; it was too late to still be at work."

That seems to work better, as this is two separate statements that are vaguely related. Does that make sense?

The white was shine and the lights are bright.

The white what? I think you're missing a word or two here!

The skyscraper is is quiet, most people left to go home.

Two things here! I think you only need one 'is', and I think you can probably either do the semi-colon thing here or turn this into two separate sentences. And I would add a word in that you seem to have missed in the second half. Like:

"Most people having left to go home."

Walking in, my eyes look up at the windows that look over the city.

You're using first person, present tense here, so I'd suggest just saying that "I look up at the window" instead of using "my eyes" because not many people refer to looking at something like that, right? Not unless their eyes hurt. So yeah... Hope this helps.

I was a beautiful sight, the tall skyscrapers and lights in the dark night sky.

I think you mean "It was a beautiful sight" here?

There was a loud bang at my door, why so soon? Why didn’t they wait until morning?

I'm not sure I understand this? I think that comma should be a full stop and that "Why so soon?" should be its own sentence. Also, is that all? It doesn't startle them? Doesn't make them jump? You're very much telling here, not showing, and that's a problem, but it can be fixed. You just need some more description. What does the inside of the building look like? Is the floor tile? Carpet? White? Black? What colour are the walls? Is there artwork on them? You get the idea!

“Come in!” I yell the door opens and Jack Walks in, Johnson behind him holding onto a girls arm.

Okay, you seem to be missing a word here. Also, "walks" should not be capitalized. I'd probably reword this a little, maybe add in a word and possibly turn into into at least two separate sentences. Like:

“Come in!” I yell and the door opens. Jack walks in and Johnson is behind him, holding onto a girls arm.

Now, that looks much better, right?

She was tall and dark haired, I couldn’t see her eyes.

Same thing as my comments before. This could be either two separate sentences or you could do the semi-colon thing again. Like:

"She was tall and dark haired; I couldn’t see her eyes." or "She was tall and dark haired, and I couldn’t see her eyes."

Aaaand I think you get the idea here. This is a very interesting scene but it feels incomplete and waaaay too short. There's very little description and it lacks that....spark, I guess, that makes you want to read more. It needs some more personality and just more, really. You introduce some characters and a possible conflict, though it's unnamed, and there's not really much else to it. BUT it does have potential, so I think if you work on your sentence structure a little and your description, and you add to it a little, maybe give it some more personality, then this could become something very interesting!

Good luck! Keep it up and never stop writing!

~Scarlett.




User avatar
35 Reviews


Points: 1384
Reviews: 35

Donate
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:13 pm
View Likes
GigiNicole17 wrote a review...



Cate!!!!!

Hey girl,

I wanted to tell you some things about this piece. It's great! Like you said, it is really short for a fist chapter, but I know you'll add to it. I think you kinda opened on suspense which I think was a really cool idea. But you do have to remember with this kind of intro you'll have to really develop the characters throughout the story, which I know you'll do lol. Towards the end, it makes me think there's some romance going on there, but then Katie says Mr. LOL

It's great, though. Nothing to critique! I can't wait to hear more!!

~Gigi




itsCate says...


The thing that I love about you Giana, is that you make me want to keep the suspense up. And because you said that I am, haha, you asked for it.
Thank you for the review!
~CATE~



GigiNicole17 says...


LOL, thanks Cate! You're the only one who call me Giana, lol which is super cool!

I wanna ask you something pm me! I'm super excited for the suspenseful next part, so happy! No problem. ~Gigi



itsCate says...


Ok lol!



User avatar
19 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 19

Donate
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:57 pm
View Likes
itsCate says...



This is very short. I know that, I purposely did that. It's more like a prologue maybe I'll go back and change that. Anyway, if you have any ideas of what should happen with Katie and Zack please give me an idea. I would love to have a Co-Author for this book.
Love you guys!



Keep Writing!

~CATE~





When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
— Eric Hoffer