z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

To write or not to write

by ishitadutt


I am an occasional writer, or perhaps one aspiring to be. This realization dawns upon me as I sit down to write after a long time. I often feel an urge to pen down my thoughts but something or the other comes in the way of my bleak dedication. Be it lack of composite ideas, pre-occupation in some other work or mere shameless procrastination. However, I could fill pages if I had to write about my daily activities, my writing block or my apprehensions. But then I stop and ask myself- who would want to read all this? Who am I? A celebrity? A sports icon? An acclaimed actor? The truth is I am nothing; just a breathing piece of flesh in this vast universe ruled by numerous talented and twinkling stars. I am just a dull member of the galaxy clouded by the ever so magnificent moon. So I realize that if and when I wish to write I must consciously decide to distinguish the writing from the writer. It may pour itself into the pages like rain droplets hissing down the window pane but I must make sure that the window remains shut.

So what shall I write about? Love? Nah. It is cliché to the point that all of my poems end up glorifying the purpose, existence and importance of it regardless of the theme I had begun with. Also, I have never been in a relationship. I know nothing. (But isn’t it the job of a writer to imagine and create what is not there?)

So I tell myself to move beyond love and write a story about, umm, well, a war. A gruesome war narrative that would stir the soul of the reader by bringing to life the struggles of millions of those scarred from the clutches of the monster that destroys both the perpetrator and the preventer. But how could I even dare to think that I am capable of such an endeavor? I have no experience or research accomplishments whatsoever. How will I ever be able to understand the gravity without having sufficiently read, heard or searched?

Now I search for a lighter topic, something that would not be beyond my capabilities and something that could attract more readers. So I pick a recent controversy and plan to voice my opinion in order to give a new angle to the event. Finally, the nib of my pen touches the page of my new diary and I see that the ink has already dried up. 


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



Random avatar

Points: 243
Reviews: 7

Donate
Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:05 pm
artbyandream wrote a review...



'Nothing' is quiet beautiful, its complex and drifting, a morbid piece of poetry. Everything is nothing from a certain perspective.

I really enjoy your writing, it feels personal, like we're chatting in a cafe, yet, its an elegant piece of work. Your thoughts are obviously that of a writers, the description you used revealed that fact.

Your work left me thinking, I asked myself questions and was left inspired, so thank you! thank you for writing this and remember, the madness of a writer cannot be fit into a category that attracts everyone, that's why its so beautiful.




ishitadutt says...


You wrote a review that was better than the post! Thank you so much for the encouragement. This is one if the best things I'vw read today :')



User avatar
63 Reviews


Points: 17
Reviews: 63

Donate
Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:39 am
Werthan wrote a review...



Am I the only one who doesn't relate to this? I write whatever I have inspiration for, whether it's "within my capabilities" or "attracts readers" or not, and my inspiration often has me writing almost against my will. I felt like this piece is just about insecurities that keep someone down. The insecurity also seems to seep into the diction itself, with how the tone seems to wobble about almost. I also agree with the person who said it comes across as cheesy often. However, the last line really reminds me of some stuff Kafka wrote for some reason, which I enjoyed.




ishitadutt says...


Hey, thanks for the review. I would just say that we're all different in the way we write and express. What insecurities I have, it is absolutely all right you may not have.



Werthan says...


I'm sorry if that came across as harsh. I think I need to work on learning. to review better.



User avatar
91 Reviews


Points: 1931
Reviews: 91

Donate
Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:20 am
Redbox275 says...



Oh my god! I love it! I totally relate!




ishitadutt says...


Thanks :D



User avatar
34 Reviews


Points: 140
Reviews: 34

Donate
Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:28 pm
mihaivisan wrote a review...



I loved the idea behind this one. I think that every single person who has ever set out to (be a) write(r) must have felt this insecurity, this crushing self-doubt - I know I have often second-guessed myself, and I will probably continue to do so. With this in mind, I liked this piece from the start.

"Who am I? A celebrity? A sports icon? An acclaimed actor? The truth is I am nothing; just a breathing piece of flesh in this vast universe ruled by numerous talented and twinkling stars. I am just a dull member of the galaxy clouded by the ever so magnificent moon." - you lost me here; I found these lines extremely cheesy, but you got me by the collar of my shirt with what you said next:

"So I realize that if and when I wish to write I must consciously decide to distinguish the writing from the writer." This, right here, is a very cohesive thought, one that every writer who doubts themselves should have. Reading this, I thought to myself 'that is so simple and obvious and amazing at the same time.'

I felt like you cheesy-ed it up again in the beginning of the next paragraph, but then again, you pulled me back with another remarkable insight: "I know nothing. (But isn’t it the job of a writer to imagine and create what is not there?)". *nods and slow claps*

I also liked the conclusion of the next paragraph (one that, thankfully, I reached a long time ago): you need to read, in order to write. There should be no doubt about it in the mind of one who seeks to be a writer.

The last paragraph reminded me of something that Stephen King once said. I have never liked his books (with some exceptions), but you gotta hand it to him: he has an incredible work ethic. Anyway, he said that a writer needs to be honest. 'Write about what you know.' I am glad that you have reached this conclusion, too.

I didn't pay much attention to grammar and typos and the likes; I truly connected with the message and, at the end of the day, isn't this what each and every writer strives to do? Connect with their readers?

Kudos to you.




ishitadutt says...


Hey, thanks a lot for the review. I am glad you could connect with it. But I also want to improve myself on the lines of "cheesiness" that you mentioned. So can you tell me where and what the problem exactly is?



mihaivisan says...


"Who am I? A celebrity? A sports icon? An acclaimed actor? The truth is I am nothing." - I would stop right here, and then continue from "So I realize that if and when (...)." I get that you wanted to emphasize just how unimportant you might be, but I felt that the way you did it was too much. I would maybe say something like "The truth is I am nothing but another face in the crowd that you will forget in the blink of an eye."



ishitadutt says...


Okay I get it now. You basically mean too much of self bashing comes across as cheesines. Thank you so much for bringing it to my notice. I'm sure it'll help me improve :D




Most people ignore most poetry because most poetry ignores most people.
— Adrian Mitchell