16+

The Moon Needs Her Night 24

by inktopus

It was like all of the air had been taken from her lungs. She choked on her next breath in, sputtering and coughing. After her coughing fit, Asha gazed up at the stars in awed silence. Yuni loved her.

It was such an unfamiliar feeling. No one had loved her before. Not really. That was love born of obligation and duty. Yuni loved her for something more than that. Asha didn’t quite know what or why, but it didn’t matter. Because Asha thought that she loved Yuni too.

Somehow, that realization didn’t feel as much of a shock. Of course she loved Yuni. She had started to a long time ago, even if she hadn’t realized it. She continued to stare at the sky. Yuni loved her.

Slowly, the ground began to feel hard against her back and she sat up. The awe began to fade, and Asha remembered their last conversation. Guilt, unlike anything she had felt before, began to throb in her stomach.

The light of the full moon, not nearly at its highest in the sky, shone directly across the courtyard. It was too serendipitous to be real. The mark Yuni had shown Asha, the symbol of her name, was illuminated by the light.

In a trance, Asha rose and dried her clothes with magic, tiny droplets of water jumping off of the fabric and spraying on the ground. She crossed the pond, unconsciously freezing patches of water in ice to support each step. An ethereal glow that could have been a trick of the moonlight surrounded Asha. Reverently, she stroked the symbol with her fingertips, aware of every grain and grove in the wood.

She stepped up onto the porch and removed her shoes. With silence she didn’t know she possessed, she eased open the fragile paper door. A glow so dim that even the translucent paper of the door had concealed it emanated from the middle of the room, a dark figured huddled next to it.

Asha stepped onto the grass mats that made up the floor and slid the door shut. Outside, a cricket began to chirp. With gentle footsteps, she made her way over to Yuni. A small lantern burned in the middle of the floor, lighting Yuni’s slack face. Asha’s stomach panged with guilt as she noticed the dried tear tracks on her face. Her long hair was unbound and shining in the lamplight.

Willing energy into her fingertips to warm them, she stroked Yuni’s face. Yuni’s nose wrinkled and her eyes fluttered, but she remained asleep. A futon piled with expensive looking blankets and pillows lay in the corner. Taking a deep breath, Asha knelt down, sliding her arms underneath Yuni’s limp form. She was much lighter than Asha anticipated. How could so much strength be contained in such a small body?

Carefully, she stood up. Yuni’s hair almost reached the floor from Asha’s arms. Once again, Yuni’s nose crinkled, but she opened her eyes, blinking in confusion.

“Asha?” she asked, voice thick with sleep.

Asha hushed her. “Go back to sleep, Yuni,” she whispered.

“But you were mad at me.” Yuni sniffled, and she bit her bottom lip.

“I’m not anymore,” Asha said, starting to walk. “It’s okay.”

“No,” Yuni said, eyes starting to glisten. “I was mean.”

Asha set her down in the bed. “I forgive you,” she said, tucking the blankets around her.

“But-”

Asha hushed her again. “Shut your mouth.” She leaned in and pressed her mouth to Yuni’s. A tiny sound came from Yuni’s throat, unable to make it past her lips. The kiss was chaste, but Asha’s heart was racing. Yuni was looking up at her-- such an unfamiliar sight for Yuni to be the one to look up-- eyes wide and still glistening.

“Asha,” she breathed. Asha stood up to leave, but a hand tugged on the skirt of her dress. Yuni looked up at her with that same expression. It felt like she couldn’t look too long or she’d become unable to breathe. “Stay.”

Asha knelt back down, and Yuni shifted over to make room for her. After Asha had slid under the covers, Yuni laid her head on Asha’s chest.

“You knew?” Yuni asked.

“Today,” Asha said. “But I loved you for much longer.”

“You love me,” Yuni whispered in an awed voice Asha wasn’t sure was meant for her ears.

“Yes,” Asha said. “So much.”

But Yuni didn’t reply. Her eyes were screwed tightly shut against the light from the lantern, face half hidden in Asha’s chest. Asha smiled fondly and doing the last magic of the day, snuffed out the flame in the lantern.

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello hello!! Here to bring this out of the green room for you!

OOOOOH AND HOW CUTE WAS THIS?!

Okay, so I'm a huge sucker for cute love stories and even though I have zero context for this story, MAN AM I FEELING THIS <3 <3

I absolutely loved how you showed Asha figuring out her feelings for Yuni - how she started with the processing of Yuni's feelings for her and feeling comfortable with that, to her thinking about her own feelings and realizing what it all means. CUTE.

I loved the tender moment between Asha and Yuni and how Asha helped her while she was sleeping. Not only does the reader see Asha realize internally that she loves Yuni, but we get to see that love and care as well. And then when Yuni wakes up and they share their moment that's just CUTE as well.

The whole atmosphere was super well done and the whole chapter felt soft and careful. I loved how well you payed attention to detail and showed each moment as it came rather than rushing through this super important moment and discovery for both characters.

I'm sorry I don't have any real constructive criticism for you. I honestly thought this was a super sweet moment and I loved how you showed the feelings develop. I'll leave things there for now, but let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like feedback about something I didn't mention! :D

inktopus says...

Thanks for the review! I honestly had forgotten this was even in the GR

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:31 pm
ExOmelas wrote a review...

Hey, unsure whether this is actually within an hour but I think it's probably the fastest I've ever got here :P

Nit-picks:

She choked on her next breath in, sputtering and coughing. After her coughing fit

Something about the repetition here feels a bit strange, as if there should be a new paragraph or something? I think "After" maybe suggests time passing, where presumably not much has. I'd go for "Once she'd recovered" or something like that.

That was love born of obligation and duty.

"That" makes it sound like she's referring to the love of a specific person, like a family member or something, so it just feels weird to not know who she means.

Reverently, she stroked the symbol with her fingertips, aware of every grain and grove in the wood.

I'm pretty sure it's spelled "groove" but for some reason I could see that being a US/UK thing.

Willing energy into her fingertips to warm them, she stroked Yuni’s face.

"Willing" sounded like a figure of speech at first, then I realised that might be how she would describe using magic, so now I'm less sure whether that was literal or metaphorical.

I just want to check, does Asha actually think Yuni was mean and in need of forgiveness, or is that just quicker than explaining that she changed her mind about being mad?

I cannot decide how I feel about Yuni seeming so small here. It is such a huge gap from her normal personality that it first it feels jarring. But then I think about the fact that this is a different kind of situation to anything faced before, and the fact that you mention that Yuni is for once the one looking up. So it's like, okay, Yuni is nervous when it comes to Asha. But then, shouldn't that have made her nervy in other situations, like when they were naked together? But then again that's normal for her people - but idk whether it's normal for people who are attracted to each other? Basically, if it's going to be a character trait of Yuni's that she is vulnerable in matters of love, I think I'd like a few more clues to that.

I'm similarly undecided about the build-up to this. Remember when they were huddled together in the rain or something? Or they were sleeping outside on a rock? I can't remember, but it was like, the first time that electric physical contact happened and essentially was the first clue for the reader. This has been building up since then, which was clearly ages ago, unless I have a terrible memory. And then, the thing that brings it to a head is sibling jealousy? It's believable, sure, but I'm just not sure it's as epic as these two deserve.

Hope this helps,
Biscuits :)

"I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy..."
— Unnamed Girl from "Mean Girls"