A Book That Could Change The World

by hoteltoday

Since the dawn of time, humanity has longed to stay relevant and remembered even after they pass on. Nobody wants to be forgotten, to fade into another brick in the wall after a few generations. So eons ago, the flexible human mind devised a solution: Immortalizing ourselves, our thoughts and feelings through the written word. Writing has taken us to unimaginable heights of civilization: Technology, entertainment, communication, none of them would be where they are today without the creation of literature. But, I believe it can take us higher. More specifically, I think one book and the ideas it spreads, can change the world. This book would be none other than the legendary Hyster S80B Forklift Service Manual, by HYSTER. In my opinion, this manual communicates harsh but beautiful truths about proper muffler maintenance and how to turn on warning sirens. Its skillful writing style and structure changed my perception of the world and captured my heart. With a team effort, though, it could do the same for the whole world!

Giving this book a bigger audience would reap many benefits. For instance, there would be a more understanding global attitude to the beautiful, powerful creatures forklifts are. The effects are not just limited to that, however! If the world read this artful book, I believe many warring countries would be willing to bury the hatchet and collaborate through their shared love and understanding of forklifts and forklift maintenance. I know it sounds a bit cheesy, but a book as powerful as this one could very well bring us one step closer to world peace!

Unfortunately, pulling off this feat will not be easy. Many populous places around the world are secluded, difficult to enter or establish connection with. It seems like a nearly impossible feat to bring the whole world together like this. I think we can overcome these hurdles, because with planning, hard work, and an indomitable, forklift-like spirit, anything can happen! I plan to use what else but forklifts to bring the Hyster S80B Forklift Service Manual to the world, because of their superior strength and possible all-terrain attributes. We will send forklifts and their brave operators to all corners of the world, to the Amazon and Sahara and Garre-Saint-Lazare, counting on them to bring about this powerful instrument of change. (If they don’t come back, we’re just going to assume the delivery was successful.)

In the end, there’s a lot of things out there that have the power to change the world. Hardworking leaders, revolutionary inventions, and sometimes just good old fashioned community resolve have the ability to speak out with loud voices. If they're loud enough, they may be able to change the way many people think! Many people, in fact, have made it their calling to do this, to use their own voices to help others and make change. Just think about Nelson Mandela or Florence Nightingale, or even the protesters giving their all to divert the Dakota Access Pipeline! All of these people have taught others important truths and spoken about their beliefs.This, I believe, is another way to become immortal, through actions like standing up for what's right. And sometimes, on all too rare occasions, these two Fountains of Youth, impactful words and impactful actions, clash into a creation that everyone should have access to. One of these, I believe, is the Hyster S80B Forklift Service Manual. This book’s ability to make you laugh, cry, and use wheel chocks in the proper situations qualifies it as a life-changing book. The eloquent way it addresses forklift operation and that sidelined feeling of being a forklift in a crane’s world is nothing short of amazing. It’s already shown many people around the world its knowledge, and with my (and your) help I believe we can share this one-of a kind piece with Earth as a whole.

And maybe, just maybe, it’ll be exactly what the human race needed.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:23 pm
Gravity wrote a review...

Hey, Gravity here for a review!

I made the mistake of reading this without looking at the genre first. I didn't know it was satire until I got to the forklift manual part hahaha, so, with your lines in the first paragraph:

Since the dawn of time, humanity has longed for eternal life, to stay relevant and remembered even after they pass on. Nobody wants to be forgotten, to fade away into another brick in the wall after a few generations. So, years ago, our creative, flexible minds devised a solution: Immortalizing ourselves, our thoughts and feelings through the written word. Writing has taken us to unimaginable heights of civilization: Technology, entertainment, communication, none of them would be where they are today without the creation of literature. But, I believe it can take us higher. More specifically, I think one book and the ideas it spreads, can change the world.

I was reading all of this and my brain was screaming "WHAT BOOK, WHAT BOOK," because your hook was so powerful, I really just wanted to know.

You can imagine my disappointment when I saw that you were talking about a forklift manual and this short article wasn't supposed to be serious XD

Anyway, I was curious. How is it you have come by this manual? Did you actually read it? It seems like you have.

that sidelined feeling of being a forklift in a crane’s world

The last thing I wanted to mention was the above quote. This made me think that even though this article is in good fun, it's meant to convey a deeper meaning. It intrigued me, gave me "fish out of water" feel.

So overall, good job on the piece :)

XOXO,
Gravity

hoteltoday says...

Thank you so much for the review! I admit I actually haven't read the manual, (It was around ninety dollars on Amazon and I can only take a joke so far) but it seemed like a fun way to spin the prompt.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:36 am
rosette wrote a review...

Hello, hoteltoday (interesting username by the way), you got pkidchick here to review! (:

First off: I found your writing style impressive, especially with those first few couple of sentences. Congratulations for immediately gaining my attention! ;) Buuut (yes, there's one of those) I did find a few errors I'd like to point out, if that's alright.

The title of your article hooked me immediately so I read this real quick but, to be honest, it was not what I was expecting. It truly is a fascinating idea: A book that could change the world! I love to read, I know people who love to read...we'd all read it. But do you really think just a book could change the world? One simple book that sums up how to live, when to live, where to live, etc., etc.? I think this would take volumes , commentaries, great, powerful speeches and inspiring actions by inspiring people. Not just a book.

In your third paragraph, you mentioned deliveries to secluded countries delivering what else but forklifts! Pardon me, but I thought we were delivering books not forklifts. (I must be honest here, I don't quite understand your obsession with forklifts?) This appears to be, throughout the paragraph, a very serious and solemn ceremony, yet at the end of it, you say: (If they don't come back, we're just going to assume the delivery was successful). I'd think, if we were to change the world, we'd want to see progress and not be so ignorant about what's going on!

Now, if you knew me, you would know this part would be coming sooner or later, so onto the grammar ! (dunh-dunh-duuunnh)
I found very many "buts" along the way; I suggest switching 'em out with a "however" or another conjunction. You have a similar problem with your usage of "ands". The first sentence in paragraph two made no sense to me: Making its audience widespread would result in many benefits, such as a more understanding global attitude to the beautiful, powerful creatures forklifts are. "More understanding global attitude?" You got one too many adjectives there, mate! (: Near the end, you happened to write out a fragmented sentence: And this, I believe, is another way to become immortal. With actions and caring and standing up for what’s right. And sometimes... My Suggestion: Combine the first two! It will also make it an easier read.
One more note: You tend to have lengthy sentences and statements, that confused me half-way through them. There are too many to point out to you so here's only one: This book’s ability to make you laugh, cry, and use wheel chocks in the proper situations qualifies it as a life-changing look at forklift operation and that sidelined feeling of being a forklift in a crane’s world. I thought this was much too long, re-reading it a couple of times. There are, as I stated before, a ton of "and"s; shortening this up a bit would be very helpful to the reader. Actually, shortening up many sentences would be helpful to the reader.

Please take no offense to my advice! I mean, who am I to dictate you around like this?! *shakes head*
I sincerely hope you found this review helpful. Best wishes to you and all your future works!

(: :D
-TheKid

hoteltoday says...

Thank you for the feedback! This is super helpful!

If you have a Kuzco in your life and they don't turn into a llama, bail.
— Alan SeaWright