z

Young Writers Society


Language

Noir

by haunted groom


It was late on a saturday night, no stars in sight, the cold chill was cruel. Thomas was on his way home when his car broke down, he was unsure why, so he got out to investigate the engine, no sign of any abnormalities. "Huh, that's weird" Thomas says, he gets back in his car and tries starting it up, it makes a loud popping noise then silent. "That sounded horrific" Thomas says with worry, he gets out and opens the hood, nothing weird or wrong, he hears a thunk towards the back of his sedan, like something hit it.

Thomas walks around his car to investigate, there was a dent the size of a small animal on the trunk. "Oh what the hell is that from?", Thomas opens his trunk and grabs his flashlight, it is a big heavy duty flashlight kinda like police would have. Thomas turns the flashlight on and looks around, he finds nothing.

He closes his trunk and goes to start up his car again, as he turns the key, a piercing loud screech comes from the engine, it sounded like a dying animal; As Thomas heard the noise he gets out quickly and opens the hood and sees nothing. No sign of anything, no abnormalities in the engine.

Thomas takes his phone out to call the police, and as he calls, Thomas felt like something has ran by him, he shines his flashlight and sees nothing, "What the hell was that?" The phone picks up, Thomas says " hello? ". On the other side of the phone is a cat hollering like it's lost, "hello?" Thomas says, something runs by Thomas' feet and Thomas quickly runs to his car and gets inside and closes the door, he hangs up and tries again, it picks up but all he hears is a cat purring, he looks up at his rearview mirror, and a solid black cat with dark shiny blue eyes is standing on his trunk.

Thomas gets out of the car, "here kitty, kitty" Thomas says, as he walks to the back the cat is gone. "What the fuck?" Thomas says, he looks on his trunk and there's four bloody paw prints on it, Thomas' flashlight suddenly turns off, "What the hell?" Thomas says, he turns the flashlight on but the white light was shining red like blood, Thomas drops the flashlight and gets back in his car and starts it up, this time the car starts up, he starts driving down the road, Thomas calls the police one more time and they pick up, "Hello? Sarasota County sheriff's office, how can I assist you today" the police operator says, Thomas replies with " I need help, I don't know what's going on, so much is happening ", He says rapidly; "calm down, and explain your situation" the operator replies.

Thomas tells him all that has happened, and as he is explaining he hears a cat purring, sounds like it's coming from his back seat, Thomas' eyes widen as he looks in the rearview mirror, at the sight of the same solid black cat with those killing blue eyes looking back at him, the cat jumps out of the seat and latches on to his face, Thomas swirves back and forth, screaming as the cats bloody claws dig into his face, Thomas swirves off the road and hits a tree.

A few hours later the police arrive on scene after they traced the call that never ended, all that's left is Thomas' grey sedan, the tire streaks leading off from the road to the dirt into the tree, and his white phone sitting in the driver seat, and bloody paw prints. Thomas was never seen or heard from again and his body was never found. But ever since, people have heard cat cries and purring on that same road.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1232 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 1232

Donate
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:07 pm
MailicedeNamedy wrote a review...



Hi haunted groom,

Mailice here with a short review! :D

That was an interesting story you presented here. I like how the horror you present here is more between the lines than in the actual text. It sets it apart a bit from the other texts, which I like. What I also like is the insertion, of a classic horror scenario; someone is alone and only then does all the fun begin. :D

I liked how a lot of it just played out from Thomas' side and you didn't need any prior knowledge to get to that point in the story. I also liked your approach of replacing the title with the French word for black to give some incentive to explore the story. (Which I was actually thinking more of Film Noire. :D)

A couple of points I noticed while reading are firstly about your sentence structure, which gets a bit out of hand due to the length you create. I would try reading through the text again to get the structure and length down better, as it reads a little bumpy from time to time. Also, I would recommend that you put the dialogues on a new line each time to get a better overview while reading. Sometimes you didn't pay attention to the capitalization. Another thing I would recommend you do is work a little on replacing the protagonist's name with a pronoun. Especially here in this case, it's just one person, named Thomas, so there may be a "he" more often than his actual name.

Other points I noticed while reading:

It was late on a saturday night, no stars in sight, the cold chill was cruel.

First, Saturday needs to be capitalized here, and second, it would be better if you split the sentence into two. This way you jump from one point to the next without giving the reader the pause he needs to realize at the beginning where and when the action takes place.

He closes his trunk and goes to start up his car again, as he turns the key, a piercing loud screech comes from the engine, it sounded like a dying animal; As Thomas heard the noise he gets out quickly and opens the hood and sees nothing.

Your paragraph has only two sentences; this one and one of nine words. Here is a perfect example of the structure you create; you expect the length of the sentences to increase the tension because time "stands still" in a sentence, so to speak. But it doesn't. You can create tension better if you make the sentences shorter. Think of it like the breaths you take when you're scared or nervous; these are also shorter and shallower than the normal ones you take when you're sitting down.


Thomas gets out of the car, "here kitty, kitty" Thomas says as he walks to the back the cat is gone. "What the fuck?" Thomas says, he looks on his trunk and there's four bloody paw prints on it, Thomas' flashlight suddenly turns off, "What the hell?" Thomas says, he turns the flashlight on but the white light was shining red like blood, Thomas drops the flashlight and gets back in his car and starts it up, this time the car starts up, he starts driving down the road, Thomas calls the police one more time and they pick up, "Hello? Sarasota County sheriff's office, how can I assist you today" the police operator says, Thomas replies with " I need help, I don't know what's going on, so much is happening ", He says rapidly; "calm down, and explain your situation" the operator replies.

This section is more or less your climax, but due to the structure and construction, it is unfortunately not there. Here you need to work on, first, making the dialogues one line, and keeping the sentences shorter.

In summary, it was an exciting story that definitely still has some construction sites that need to be worked on.

Have fun writing!

Mailice




User avatar
137 Reviews


Points: 21503
Reviews: 137

Donate
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:53 am
stygianmoon17 says...



Just wanted to pop in to say something, Noir, it means Black




User avatar
12 Reviews


Points: 162
Reviews: 12

Donate
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:35 am
Vaibhav wrote a review...



Hey,
I am here to review your work.

"It was late on a saturday night, no stars in sight, the cold chill was cruel"

It could be "It was a late saturday night with no stars in sight and the cold chill was cruel"

"Thomas was on his way home when his car broke down, he was unsure why, so he got out to investigate the engine, no sign of any abnormalities"

Thomas was on his way home when his car broke down due to some unknown reason" or Thomas was on his way home when his car broke. To find out why, he stepped out of the car to investigate"

There are few other instances where your sentences could be phased better with the help of full stop in place of comma. It constitutes grammatical errors so you should be very careful that you them in the write place.
Sometimes you are adding unnecessary commas and as result making sentences longer which could se phrased better if they were shorter.

Thanks




Random avatar

Points: 0
Reviews: 112

Donate
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:29 pm
SpunkyMonkey wrote a review...



Hi! Spunky here to review!

"That sounded horrific" Thomas says with worry,

A comma is needed after "horrific"

Thomas gets out of the car, "here kitty, kitty"


I need help, I don't know what's going on, so much is happening ",

A comma can't be on the outside of the parentheses like that.

Thomas swirves off the road and hits a tree.

"Swirves" should be "swerves"

This needs a lot of editing. There are run on sentences and so much repetition. Also, the bold text makes it pretty difficult to read.

In stories, you're supposed to show, not tell. Telling would be
"Thomas was scared" whereas showing would be "Sweat ran down his pale face, and his shaking hands grabbed the flashlight." That's just off the top of my head.

Even thought this is supposed to be horror, it wasn't really scary. I get what happened, but it isn't shown in the correct way.




User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 154
Reviews: 25

Donate
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:42 am
Ducklinstories wrote a review...



Hey ducklin here for a view!
Lets' start shall we?

First-off since it's a horror story I didn't get the real horror vibes or got really scared instead I laughed at your last sentence.
"people have heard cat cries and purring on that same road."
I would suggest to make it a bit more scary because this seems kinda cute to me. If you get what I mean.
For example :
"people still heard as the night fell the deafening scratching of nails and screams of pain and fear on that same road." It's just a suggestion.

As for the pace of your story it doesn't go to fast and not too slow so that's a good thing. Most of the short stories have a way too fast pace.

In my opinion I would try to use some more show and less tell. In that way the story could have had a way more clear view of the setting and scare your readers more.

Your grammar spelling and punctuation is perfectly fine and doesn't need any edit I think.

In general it was a really good story and would surely read more work of you!
keep on writing,
-E.





I communicate much better on paper than I do when I open my mouth.
— Aaron Sorkin