True Freedom: Prologue

by starbean

In Central Oregon; far from the ocean; far from the front of anyone's conscience; lays a tailgate town that goes by the name of Prineville. Houses were small and few and far between, had no cellphone service and any problems you had with robbers and such had to be taken care of by a couple shots of a gun into the cloudless blue sky to scare them off. 

The only trees were juniper and the occasional Ponderosa, cheat grass was the equivalent the meadows, lava rock made the terrain as bumpy as the Oregon trail, the dirt was cracked on top and when you got through the dust part you hit rock hard dirt and long, prickly grass was what made up the front of the house. In the summer it was bone dry and was over 100 degrees, in the winter it was freezing cold and snow piled up over the dusty hills. 

And that was why Jenna loved it, and also why tears were leaking out of her eyes as her parents white Ford pulled out of the driveway, leaving a cloud of dust behind them as the little cabin disappeared from view.

She wanted to be thankful for all of the time she had had there to roam around and sit at the top of the cut off tree staring out at the mountains and catch lizards but somewhere inside of her, she needed more. She needed to be there, all of the time. She needed to breathe the country air before she would suffocate in the air of the big, smelly city known as Salem. 

But her whole life, she had been told she couldn't. She couldn't take care of herself. But she knew that being shy didn't mean that she couldn't be brave. She couldn't let herself resign to a silly stereotype just because of doubting people. And that is where her story begins.

Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:15 am

First Impression: Okay...this is a pretty neat prologue...as far as what it contains goes, I think it checks most of the boxes you expect from a prologue and certainly I would be intrigued enough to read on after seeing this one.

Well...that sounds like a town where you have to fend for yourself quite a lot and seems to be isolated from most of civilization which sounds like a place I really want to go live in...xD At any rate, this is a pretty neat way to establish this here setting...well let's see how this factors into this prologue.

The only trees were juniper and the occasional Ponderosa, cheat grass was the equivalent the meadows, lava rock made the terrain as bumpy as the Oregon trail, the dirt was cracked on top and when you got through the dust part you hit rock hard dirt and long, and prickly grass was what made up the front of the house. In the summer it was bone dry and was over 100 degrees, in the winter it was freezing cold and snow piled up over the dusty hills.

Oooh...we getting some facts I see, that's always helpful, and since this is right at the start along with the description there, this actually doesn't interrupt the flow of this piece and well that makes it even more awesome as a description. Hmm...this certainly is a lovely description, its very easy to try and imagine what this place might look like. Definitely has a good vibe to it here.

And that was why Jesse loved it, and also why tears were leaking out of her eyes as her parents white Ford pulled out of the driveway, leaving a cloud of dust behind them as the little cabin disappeared from view.

Oooh...and we come to the meat of prologue I see....well this is definitely the kind of scene you would expect to see in one of these...someone moving away from a place they love to a new place is a classic option...well let's see how this ends now I suppose. :D

Hmm....I wonder what year this is...and whether this Salem has anything to do with the Salem we've all heard about. That aside though, a pretty fun way to show that she's moving out of the countryside into a big city. Aaand it looks like she's not the biggest fan of the move.

Ooooh...well certainly a pretty interesting ending this one...talking about her being stereotyped as being shy and unable to take care of herself, and then her being determined to prove folks wrong about it. This one would certainly make you want to read on to the chapters to see how that goes...so...pretty good choice of ending there...as far as prologues go, this one certainly does its job.

Overall: Overall its a pretty nice little prologue, I liked it. It looks like this could be a pretty interesting story. If thou doth ever writeth the story and post it here, I just might give it a read to see what its about. It sounds like it could be fun. Well...anyway, that is it for now I'm afraid, so until next time :D

starbean says...

thanks so much for the review Harry!

Zycoptl00 says...

Great introduction.

MayCupcake wrote a review...

Hey Hannah!
I have a review for you! This is a very vividly described prologue. I really liked all the descriptions of the surroundings. Nice job!

In Central Oregon; far from the ocean; far from the front of anyone's conscience; lays a tailgate town that goes by the name of Prineville.

Wow three semicolons. I can tell that you wanted to relate all of these ideas to each other, but I don't think that all the semicolons are necessary. --> "In Central Oregon, the tailgate town, Prineville, lays far from the ocean and the front of everyone's conscience."

The only trees were juniper and the occasional Ponderosa, cheat grass was the equivalent the meadows, lava rock made the terrain as bumpy as the Oregon trail, the dirt was cracked on top and when you got through the dust part you hit rock hard dirt and long, and prickly grass was what made up the front of the house.

I love all the imagery you put into this, but it's quite a lot for one sentence. I see that you were making it into a list, but really you can put a period where you put the commas and you'll have a bunch of lovely sentences!
--> "The only trees were juniper and the occasional Ponderosa. Lava rock made the terrain as bumpy as the Oregon trail. The dirt was cracked and dusty on top; As a result, past the first layer you were greeted by rock hard dirt. Prickly grass equivalent to meadows made up the front of the house."

She wanted to be thankful for all of the time she had had there to roam around and sit at the top of the cut off tree staring out at the mountains and catch lizards but somewhere inside of her, she needed more.

I really liked how serene this sentence felt! I do think that it feels a bit run on though, so I put it into a list with a semicolon! --> "She wanted to be thankful for the ability to roam around, sit at the top of a tree, stare at the mountains, and catch lizards; however, there was something inside of her that needed more."

Anyways, overall great job! You do very well with word choice and descriptions! Take what you will from this and keep on writing!

starbean says...

thanks, MayCupcake! The reason that a lot of the sentences were run on is because I wanted to try a more Charles Dickens style of writing, but I can see for not only myself but from the views of other people that it is hard to understand. I will edit those out as soon as I can! Thanks for the review, it was thorough and super helpful!

MayCupcake says...

No problem! And Charles Dickens? I've heard of him, but am not very familiar with his writing, so I'll check it out and see how his style works!

Hi hannah,

Let's start right away:

In Central Oregon; far from the ocean; far from the front of anyone's conscience; lies a tailgate town that goes by the name of Prineville. Houses were small and few and far between, had no cellphone service and any problems you had with robbers and such had to be taken care of by a couple shots of a gun into the cloudless blue sky to scare them off.

You start with a very great introduction here and set up a beautiful scene for the reader to empathise with. Your short descriptions give the feeling of being a bit off the main road and having landed in a sleepy village. The last sentence in particular reminds me of my grandfather who never locked the front door to scare off a possible robber with his shotgun. :D

Here are two points where I think something small should be changed, for readability: in the first sentence I would replace the third ; with an ordinary comma. Otherwise, it's a very great first sentence!
Then in the second sentence I would put a comma after "small and few" to encourage the reader to pause, otherwise they read it "and... and... and...", which caused a brief confusion, at least for me. :D

The only trees were juniper and the occasional ponderosa, cheat grass was the equivalent of the meadows, lava rock made the terrain as bumpy as the Oregon trail, the dirt was cracked on top and when you got through the dust part you hit hard dirt and long, and prickly grass was what made up the front of the house.

I like how you go into detail here so the reader can visualise it better. I also like that you make a reference to the Oregon Trail, which encourages the reader to be adventurous.
The sentence is just a bit long and I think you can split it after "Oregon Trail".

I really like how you create a characterisation of the main character right away by building up the landscape. It indirectly gives you a great insight and as a reader you can immediately see what kind of person Jesse is. I find that very exciting, because as a reader you already see a lot.

She needed to be there, all of the time.

I think you've done a great job of portraying longing in general in this section. You can build up sympathy for Jesse right away, which I think is good. This sentence sums it up best.

You've written a really nice prologue that, despite its short length, presents the most important information without being boring or overloaded. You create an excellent conclusion with the end here, which continues into the next chapter and already makes you want more, because you ask the reader a question that he now wants to have answered.

Your structure of the paragraphs and the structure are well done and give the reader a good overview. I also like how you create the separations and transitions, which seem fluid and always sound like a "but" when the reader gets to the next point. It stacks up to the end, which leads to you creating a really good arc. It also shows that you are skilled at creating these connections clearly.

I like the way you build the story at the moment. You give the plot through a fluid narrative and you can tell not only already from the scenery, but also from Jesse that she is not just one-sided, but capable of more. You have made me very curious here and I am very eager to see how the story continues.

And the title, of course. It works so beautifully in this context.

Enjoy the writing!

Mailice.

starbean says...

Thank you SO much for the review Malice! It was super helpful. I will edit those!

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.
— Audrey Hepburn