Tree Girl: Chapter 5

by starbean

I continued to write, and the bell for recess sounded. Mrs. Poverly started heading back to her classroom, and I decided to come with her. I wiped the tears from my face, and followed her down the hallway. I had to face them.

When everyone was in their seats, Mrs. Adams put everyone to work on their essays. She called me to the back of the room. By then I was done writing my explanation. I handed her the pages. Three of them, front and back. She started reading, and when she was finished she sent me to the guidance counselor, Mrs. Hornbecker. I walked the long way to her office alone, constantly looking around to make sure that none of them were following me. I pushed the door open and she greeted me with a smile. I had forgotten how nice she is.

"Hi Elana. Mrs. Adams called me to tell me that you were dropping by for a quick visit. Do you want me to call your mom?" she said in a kind voice. 

I nodded my head. I wrote my moms number on a tiny scrap of paper, and while she talked to her, I sat down. She is on the phone with her for 15 minutes or so, and I caught tiny tidbits of the conversation.

"Hi, Mrs. Evans. Your daughter...yes, she is okay now... she is here with me... could you...here..." 

I sat patiently in my seat until she got off the phone. 

"She is going to come here and talk to us about what happened and what we are going to do. Now, could you tell me what happened?" asked Mrs. Hornbecker.

I handed her the papers. She sat there, her eyes scanning the paper for a while. 

"Okay. So, this all began when your grandma died a couple weeks ago, correct? And then you haven't said a word since. And why haven't you?" she asked.

I nodded my head. I began writing my answer. When I was done I handed her the papers. I wrote, 

is because I can’t. When I try  The second reason is because it is my way of grieving.

"I will share this with your mom." she said once she was done reading it."Now, I think I know what you have. I am a psychiatrist after all, so I can diagnose you with it. Can you just fill out this questionnaire so I can be sure?"

She handed it to me. It looked pretty short. I began filling it out.

Some of the questions were just basic. Like "Are you comfortable talking?" or "Do you talk more than you use hand gestures?" I answered no to both questions.

Some were more kind of touchy, like this one "Are you nervous about speaking?" Yes.

When I was done, my mom walked in. She came over to where I was sitting and hugged me. When she finally let go, Mrs. Hornbecker and her talked for a while. She gave my mom both sets of papers, the answer to her question and everything that had happened. My mom read both of these.

"So, based on the results of the test, I have a diagnosis. It is called selective mutism disorder. It is chronic, it will eventually go away. But for now we have to help her." announced Mrs. Hornbecker. "It is almost summer break, and I want the rest of her time at this school for her to be a good experience. I will have the lunch administrators keep an eye on her, and the other girls are going to get in trouble, obviously. I think that you and Elana should both go home, and then there is the weekend."

"Okay, that sounds good. Can we bring the papers home so I can read them again? I was kind of in a rush the first time and I want to be able to understand it more." said Mom.

"Yes, here they are. I will write down a therapist's number if you are interested in that." replied Mrs. Hornbecker. 

"Okay, thank you. We will see you on Monday." my mom said. 

We walked out of the school and into the car. 

"I am so sorry, Elana. I know that you and grandma had a special bond. All I know is that she is having the time of her life in heaven right now. And, I can't say the same for Mark, but you will probably still be allowed to go back there. I am going to check it out to make sure it is safe, but you are good to go. I am proud of you, Elana. You are a good, honest child and I am sorry that you of all people were the target. I cannot believe those girls. And Kya, too? I didn't know that she had the nerve to do that." mom said. "It will all be okay, eventually. It will all be okay."

Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:24 am
ChrisCalaid wrote a review...

Hi, I'm here for a quick review. And to talk about what I think of this chapter... Although I haven't read all your chapter except Chapter 4 I think Elana is really an interesting character...I felt like I was seeing hard times in our lives come to life in this one book and to this character. I greatly enjoyed reading this story and I love how you post chapters without making them too long :) Thank you so much for writing this and I'd always love to read any of your writings and review them if you need someone to.

Grammar Stuff

"Hi Elana. Mrs. Adams called me to tell me that you were dropping by for a quick visit. Do you want me to call your mom?"

I suggest you use a comma after "Hi" although it isn't very important...

I wrote my moms number on a tiny scrap of paper, and while she talked to her, I sat down.

I think you need an apostrophe after "mom", "mom's number".

She gave my mom both sets of papers, the answer to her question and everything that had happened. My mom read both of these.

I suggest you put a comma before "and".

But for now we have to help her." announced Mrs. Hornbecker.

I think you should use a comma after "But for now" since it's an introductory phrase.

Lastly, I think you should use a comma after the dialogue since it isn't just writing that needs to be ended with a period but what a character said. One other reason for the use of the comma is that from books and stories I read it's written that way and I think it might just not fit well in other writers' eyes...Just saying...Sorry if I offended it you in anyway...

Thank you for sharing this! You know what? I think you are an AMAZING WRITER!

Have a nice day :)

~C.C.

Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:26 am
DreamyAlice says...

Excellent job with this chapter.
I think Elana don't know how to grieve I know its heartbreaking but She can't be like that for the rest of her life. I am curious to know when she will talk and how.
I really like how her mother and teachers were caring for her.

Hope you continue to write this story!
Nice work
Bye!!!

Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:44 am
momonster wrote a review...

Momo's here! i'm working on it, i'm working on it

Stupendous job with this chapter! I admire this series so much; you're such a great author! :)

You don't need to italicize this part.

And then you haven't said a word since. And why haven't you?" she asked.

You can take out the second and here.

...like this one "Are you nervous about speaking?"

Put a colon after one.

"...It is chronic, it will eventually go away..."

A semicolon or a period should go after chronic.

"...And, I can't say the same for Mark, but you will probably still be allowed to go back there..."

Back where?

...to do that." mom said.

capitalize mom here.

That's it! Great job, as usual. I'll review the next chapter tomorrow!!
Momo

Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:16 am
SpunkyMonkey says...

Hi! I might review these chapters later, but wanted to say I really enjoyed reading it, and can’t wait for more!

Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:21 pm
stygianmoon17 says...

I’ll review this a bit later today, my car is on my laptop 😅

Just saying tho, I’ve got no idea what this is from, since I haven’t read the other parts of this novel, so this is a first hand glimpse in your climax, and just wanted to know if you were looking more for brutal honesty or just a quick review that glosses on the worst and insists on the best. Just to get a little idea on how I should shape this :)

starbean says...

I want to know how you view my writing so I can improve it. If it is that bad, then say it in a nice way.

*btw sorry I meant cat, and no worries, it%u2019s a awesome work :D

starbean says...

Thanks.

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.
— William James