Home » Literary works » Short Story » Dramatic

The Assassin

by greg27

Bang! went my sniper rifle, the bullet in an instant travelling two kilometers and penetrating the Prime minister of Norway’s skull. My first kill, I almost couldn’t believe it. Laying on the floor bleeding out I could only imagine how he felt, if he was shocked, terrified or felt a feeling of relief as the light slowly drained from his eyes.

For weeks I had been investigating his nefarious actions and deeds, his illicit dealings with other countries and even his affairs. hired by his wife I was tasked with assassinating him in the most public way possible. The date of the election was the day I chose to kill him because there was an open stage where the candidates would give their speeches. With many vantage points where I could choose from I chose the most inconspicuous but vast building I was able to find. Twenty-three story’s high I decided upon the roof for a clear shot.

Sweat was running down my cheeks as the candidates one by one gave their speeches. With every speech drawing closer to the Prime minister’s, my heart started pounding, thoughts racing through my head like what if I miss my shot or if I got arrested but I couldn’t focus on those thoughts. Tasked with a mission and equipped with the will to do it I got into position. As the prime minister started talking I took aim and with a shaky hand I lined up the shot, but I had lost my composure. Too scared to take a life I closed my eyes and pulled the trigger. Once I did I knew I would never be the same again, I was forever scarred by my own actions like a blemish on my soul.

slubbs24 wrote a review...

Hi slubbs here with a review!

This was a neat short story.
I like the concept of the wife hiring him to kill. :D

Anyhow let’s jump into the juicy stuff.
The beginning was splendid! You gave lots of detail making the us want to continue reading.

“I could only imagine how he felt, if he was shocked, terrified or felt a feeling of relief as the light slowly drained from his eyes”
I really liked the detail here, it made you think about it.

I liked how you started with the main point then did a back story, that can be hard to do but you nailed it.

Other than that I did see a few grammar errors and I wish the sniper wasn’t on a rooftop because I found it typical xD.

Overall it was a cool little short story that made me think.

I have one question. Why would he pick the job assassin if he is to afraid to kill without feeling guilt?

~slubbs

Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:13 am

First Impression: Hmm...well this was certainly an interesting little story here, pretty short, but manages to actually capture this one little scene pretty well, that touch of backstory was pretty neat too.

Okay...well...that is off to a dangerous start there, assassinating the prime minister of country is certainly a big deal and having it just right at the very first paragraph of a story really makes it sound like this is an assassin that means some serious business here. And this has to be a pretty big rifle by a very skilled person to make a shot from that ridiculously far. Its been done before but well...that is not an easy shot at all. And if that's their first kill...well, that's a lot of skill. Although the one issue is the instant part, bullets travel pretty fast, but 2km is something that will take even a bullet a couple of seconds to travel, its not quite instant...well this is me being super nitpicky...but uhh...the more you know. :D

Hmm...snipers do shoot from the roof, but hmm....I don't think that's the most inconspicuous location though...anyone looking up might see him, a room on the top floor would probably be a lot safer. Other than that however, this is pretty neat, you get to know who gave this person the job, and why, and you know why this person here is being killed, and well, a public assassination like that is certainly quite a big deal. And this person taking on a job like that for their first skill really means this person has to be very confident in their abilities.

Well, shaking hands is generally not how shots from that far away are successfully taken, that's a little weird there, but alright, let's just say this guy was lucky...or I suppose unlucky cause they did successfully take a life and at the end it looks like they only realized the gravity of what they had just done after doing it...and well, it looks like he's definitely not exactly happy with himself there, calling it a blemish on his soul. Well, looks like he'll regret that one for a while to come.

Overall: Overall, if you don't get too nitpicky about accuracy when it comes to guns and how this sort of thing is done in real life, its certainly convincing enough and you've done a pretty decent job here. :D

Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:35 am
hxrryp10 says...

wow this story is truly inspiring i love the way u done it

If you're paranoid that you're making your novel worse with each passing decision clap your hands
— Panikos