Chapter 2- Untitled YA

by geekyamna

Need some harsh critique on this chapter. Please ignore grammer/spelling mistakes since its a first draft! Does it have enough hook, a good MC voice and good pace

It seemed like mere minutes had passed after I finally slumbered of, only to be awoken again. The argument before breakfast, breakfast, and the argument after was a blur. Jose was in a rush, so all morning he barked orders at me. I huffed, pouted and moaned constantly but he acted oblivious to my growing frustration. We walked back in complete silence, after the way he treated me, I refused to acknowledge his existence. We were out of the forest, when he brushed right by me towards the car park that has recently been creating for backpackers and campers

‘My house is that way’, I pointed to the opposite direction that he was walking in but he either didn’t hear me or just simply decided to ignore me. How rude.

I watched his retreating form before I ran after him only to stop in my tracks. It stood there, gleaming in the sunshine. It was simply breathtaking, the style, the colours and that bodywork.

‘Get in’

I ignored the order, the command, because it continued to dazzle me. My mouth dropped open, and I stuttered the words that I find difficult to digest

‘This is you car!’

He rolled his eyes and strolled towards the driver’s door, opening it and smoothly entering. I still stood there; this one car is probably worth more than my house. He startled me out of my admiration with his unrelenting honking. I scowled fiercely running towards the front passenger seat. I ripped the door open and climbed in. I barely shut the door, before we zoomed straight on to the main highway.

I fumbled with my seat belt, trying to keep my absolute awe of the cars interior to myself. The car was moving awfully fast, I grabbed on to the seat taking deep breaths.

‘You’re in a rush’, I couldn't’t hold back the annoyance and disappointment in my voice. Is he that desperate in getting rid of me?

‘I need to get you home, you grandmother, remember’ , his emphasise on the last word brought out a whole mess of emotions

Fear, because Diane was going to castrate me. Literally. Annoyance, at myself mostly myself. I couldn't’t possibly believe that someone like Jose would befriend me, let alone like me.

‘It’s a nice day’ I chirped, trying desperately to kill the silence that has become unbearable

He nodded in agreement, turning the car round the corner as we neared closer to the house.

‘Wait, how do you know were I live’ my face scrunched up in confusion. I don’t remember telling him my address

‘It’s a small town, and everyone knows Grandma Diane. You are referring to Diane Garcia right’

I nodded compliantly. He was right, as usual. La Pare was a secluded island in the Caribbean Sea, emphasise on its Isolation. It’s so small and insignificant, that it isn’t found on most commercial maps. Its neighbouring island; Puerto Rico is the closest way out to civilisation. That’s if you are willing to endure a 3 day ship ride, and then go to Puerto Rico international airport. Coming here has been a huge culture shock for Adam and me, after the accident.

The gaping fleshy wound slashed open, the stench overpowering my nostrils, followed by the pain. The pain was the heart-wrenching ache that always threatened to overcome me. I wrapped my arms around my chest, to stop myself. To stop what I know will happen if continued on this thought path. My chest will close up, breathing will become impossible and then the tears will come flooding down. I can’t let him see me like this. See me break down and appear like a complete wreck.

‘I’m sorry’ he murmured

My head snapped back, as I stare at him in bewilderment. Those two words, I’m sorry, successfully saved me from falling into a dark abyss of wallowing and self pity.

‘I’m not a morning person’ he continued, turning his head slightly to face me

‘You don’t say’, the sarcasm evident in my voice, as it dripped from every syllable.

He frowned slightly and then his teasing grin returned

‘I didn’t get much sleep’ he muttered quietly, the glint now more apparent in his eyes

The amusement was etched on every inch of his face. What game was he trying to play? Whatever it is, it’s important I remain calm and composed. He knew exactly what buttons to press to get a rise out of me. I retorted the only comeback I have, the only ammunition on my side.

‘That’s rich, coming from someone who snores’

I pursed my lips, waiting for his reply. Instead the car stopped to a screeching halt, right in the middle of the road. I peeked my head out of the cars window to spot any incoming cars. There was none, the road was completely deserted. He shuffled noisily, turning his body in my direction. Oh dear god. Simply stating the air was thick was tension would be the greatest understatement of the year. I sat there, finding myself anticipating his next move. Those impish dimples returned; he opened his mouth slightly only to clamp it shut again. No good can come from this

‘Do you want to tell me why you stopped’, I threw the question at him but he chose to ignore it.

He moved his face closer to mine, too close. I breathed in his tantalizing scent; it was spicy, tangy and savoury. It was Jose. The scent overwhelmed my senses, making me slightly dizzy. He brought his lips dangerously close to my left ear. His breath was scorching.

‘Did my snoring really bother you?’ he whispered in a low voice.

Why was he having such a huge effect on me? I felt like I was going to spontaneously combust. I nodded vigorously, speaking was somewhat impossible. The words stuck in my throat.

‘Hmm’ he grumbled

‘I...I’ stuttering between my words I try my best to compose myself. To get a grip!

‘You see, someone was sleep talking and it was very distracting’

I gasped and every muscle in my body freezes. I can’t believe I forgot. I sleep talk. I blabber on in the most embarrassing way. I wondered what I said this time. Before I had the chance to ask, a driver behind honks his car, so Jose moves away and shoved his key in. The car roared to life and we speed away, the tyres ripping against the road. To no one surprise, the silence resumed and neither Jose nor I seemed willing to break it. I felt my heart still pumping hard against my chest. It was obvious, I lost this round.

My best bet right now was to stare out the window, watching the trees go by idly. I wouldn’t dare look at him now. How come I didn’t notice the magnificence of it all when I made my way up here? I was too consumed with rage to even take the time to take in the beauty that was nature. I chose to ignore everything. The town’s people bewildered stare, my grandmother still hollering behind me. Instead I just stormed ahead. Giving no notice to anything living or not. I must have walked for hours, the rage so powerful I didn’t even realise.

Again, the car was brought to a standstill.

‘wha-‘

The words were barely out of my mouth before I realised where we were. The unkempt hedges, the overgrown lawn and Adam’s filthy car, I was home. I took deep breaths, and tried to get myself to calm down. I turned my head to what would probably be my final glimpse of Jose.

‘Thanks’ I mumbled

He nodded in reply and I gently open the car door placing my feet on to the ground one at time. I closed the door swiftly, mentally preparing myself. Someone said, hell hath no fury like a women’s wrath, that person obviously knew Diane.

Fear was reeling inside me; I thrust my hands into my jeans as I made my death march. My mouth plunged wide open, as Jose strolled towards my house, brushing right by me. He leaned forward and pressed the bell. What is he doing! My fingers itched to strangle him and put myself out of this hell. The door creaked open, and I chewed deeply into my lower lip. My breathing lowers into erratic gasps as I tried lifting my head to face Diane. Trembling in fear, I could imagine her stoic face. She will purse her lips in disappointment; her nostrils would flare in anger. The worst would be her eyes. They were brown just like mine but they far were more mesmerising, flickers of hazel in a sea of chocolate. They would bore into me.

My eyes almost bulged from their sockets as I absorbed the strange sight before me. There was Diane and Jose, hugging like the best of friends. I could have never have imagined, beyond my wildest dreams. I moved towards the joyous pair.

Her eyes clashed against mine, and I couldn’t help but raise an eyebrow. She moved away from Jose to take a good look at me.

‘Aurora’ she uttered

‘Grandma Diane, I didn’t me-‘

She raised her hand to stop me from babbling on.

‘Jose was kind enough to call and tell me everything’ she replied, smiling warmly at Jose

Hopefully not everything, I couldn’t imagine my Diane’s face if she found out we shared a sleeping bag.

‘Oh’ I replied quietly

‘Jose, would you like to join us for dinner?’

I slowly turned my gaze towards his face. Please say no. Please politely reject and be on your way.

‘I would love to Mrs. Garcia’

I was ready to protest, but the look grandma Diane threw at me forced me to press my lips together tightly.

‘But I can’t stay long, I really have to be on my way’ he says gently, trying his best not to hurt any feelings

I sighed in relief; I need to get away from Jose. Fast.

‘Well that’s a shame. Are you sure you can’t stay, it’s the least we can do’ grandma Diane pleaded with her eyes, as she passed me another look.

‘Well, if you insist’, he replied reluctantly and they made their way to the kitchen. I followed behind solemnly.

‘Holy crap, is that a Bugatti Veyron’ Adam screeched, leaning through the window to get a better glimpse at Jose car.

I couldn’t help the menacing stare I threw at my twin brother Adam, my fraternal twin brother. Why did he feel the need to embarrass me at every waking moment? Especially now, in front of Jose!

‘Yeah, it was a present’ Jose replied serenely

Grandmother Diane hands him a drink and he begins gulping it down, eagerly. A drip of the tropical drink misses his lips and trailed down his mouth. It glided down his jaw but his tongue quickly dashes out, swiping the droplet away. Diane nudged me roughly, breaking me away from my trance. I was staring so fiercely, a blush crept up my face when Diane gave me a wary look.

‘Go get yourself cleaned up Aurora’ she ordered quietly, in a firm tone.

I roused my legs into action, slowly moving away and heading towards my room. Nobody seemed to notice. Adam kept babbling on about the cars horsepower, and something about a W16 engine. I lost interest, completely zoning out from the conversation. Jose didn’t, he blossomed in the attention. I snuck away, eager to rip this disgustingly body hugging clothes from my skin and to have a nice warm shower.

My bedroom door creaked open and I stepped in. Every thing remained untouched, this is good. It indicates that Adam hasn’t been snooping around my room. My bed was still undone, my clothes was still scattered all over the place and the plate of left over pizza still receded on my desk. It’s good to be home. This room is home. It was my mothers room, when I moved in I refused to change anything. I kept her light colour scheme. I kept her draws, her cupboard and her bed. So she surrounded me from all corners of the room. It was painful at times, since it reminded me of the accident. However, it was necessary. My biggest fear is forgetting her. The wound threatened to peal open. So I stop my line of thought.

The clothes glided of my limbs, dropping to make a pool on the ground. I have to remember to wash those and return it to Jose. Well, return it to Jose sister who hates me. Like the rest of the islanders. Why? I still don’t know. Diane shrugs it of and acts like she doesn’t notice, but Adam and I are painfully aware of it. Everyone remained quiet, no one talks about it, and they all tried to avoid the huge elephant in the room. But something was of.

There must be a reason why, you can’t just hate someone with no justification. Diane told me I was being paranoid and no one hates me. If only she saw the stares I got every time I stepped out of the house. It derived mainly from the aging people of La Pare. The stares were always cold, the malice apparent in their eyes. Maybe I am going crazy.

The best thing about this house is the fact I have my own shower, which is linked in with my room. I find myself rubbing it in every time Adam is around. The attic was changed into a bedroom for him, it is nice but we both now I ended up having the better end of the stick.

I leaned over, turning the shower on and treaded in. I shrieked as drips of the freezing water hits my skin. I Stepped back, and tried to control the tremor that the water evoked. The arctic droplet slithered down my chest, numbing my skin slightly and arousing a trail Goosebumps. I fixed the shower’s dial, to a more reasonable temperature and stepped back in

I leaned over, turning the shower on and treaded in. I shrieked as drips of the freezing water hits my skin. I Stepped back, and tried to control the tremor that the water evoked. The arctic droplet slithered down my chest, numbing my skin slightly and arousing a trail Goosebumps. I fixed the shower’s dial, to a more reasonable temperature and stepped back in.

My muscles were lax the minute the water drummed against my skin. I sighed after each hit of water, my body slowly unwinding. The droplets tapped against my skin, some flickering of, while others raced down my back to join the puddle of water around the bathtub floor. Instantly, I felt at ease. Each passing minute made the ache in my body a distant memory. I squirted a dollop of shampoo into my hand. I submerged my fingers into my hair, releasing the reluctant knots and massaging the shampoo into my scalp. I took a deep breath and tried to focus on the complications in my life. I had to accept my fate. I will be attending our lady of Lourdes, whether I liked it or not. I have to stop thinking about home, this is home now. Adam and Diane are home. Our lady of Lourdes, La Pare and the town folks are just mere inconveniences that I have to put up with. But, what about Jose? I took a deep breath contemplating my newest complication in my life. Is he an inconvenience? He sure knew how to irk me, and rub me in the wrong way. Still, I felt what I think is anticipation. Yes, I admit that I look forward to seeing him and talking to him. Maybe he was a perk. One thing I was sure of, life now just became a lot more interesting.

Diane bellowed that dinner was reader, breaking me away from my serene trance. I quickly rinsed my hair, obviously having no time for a repeat. I stepped out of the bathtub carefully and grabbed the towel nearby. The towel devoured the trickle of water that remained on my skin. Diane bellows continued as I towel dried my hair. Staring in the mirror, I couldn’t help feeling so unadorned in an island with such exotic people. Brushing my pain looks aside; I rushed to my room to put some clothes on. He would be waiting downstairs so my usual tank and jogging bottoms wouldn’t suffice. I didn’t want to look too dressed up, or he would get the wrong idea. I settled for my favourite red top and some decent skinny jeans.

A loud knock echoed from the door, and I went to open it, only to be met with Diane stern face.

‘Do you plan on making an appearance this century? She questioned, annoyance etched around her aging face.

I mumbled an incoherent reply and dashed downstairs. He was gone. There was no trace of him in the kitchen.

‘He had to go’’ Adam grumbled, chewing loudly from the table.

The confusion must have been apparent on my face. Hopefully, the disappointment wasn’t. He could have at least waited to say goodbye. I know I didn’t owe him anything, I mean he was a complete stranger. Still, I felt annoyance nudging against my heart. It wouldn’t have killed him to say goodbye.

I shrugged my shoulders, in what hopefully appeared as nonchalance. I dragged my feet to the empty chair and planted my arse down. The chair screeched as I dragged myself closer to the table. My mouth watered as the sweet aroma of Diane cooking filled me. Taking a deep breath, I dived in and was set on devouring everything on my plate. The sound of silverware clicking harshly against the plates rattled around the room. I sat there waiting. I waited for the inevitable and what was bound to come; Diane’s interrogation. She was being courteous around Jose, but now that he’s gone, taking my safety along with him. I sat there feeling bare against Diane wrath, the vicious blow that is to come.

‘What Jose did was very nice’ Grandma Diane muttered

I nodded, refusing to look at her. My eyes were glued to the plate before me.

‘I’m glad someone was there to help you’ she continued and I nodded again. I stuffed my mouth with food, so I couldn't’t reply verbally.

‘so did you run of to him, is he like your boyfriend’ she questioned, staring intensely at me

I almost choked on my food; my eyes bulged from their sockets. I swallowed painfully, shoving the food down my throat. I licked my suddenly dry lips and contemplated an answer. I guess, seeing it from her point of view, it all was a bit too good for coincidence.

‘Oh please, Jose would never be caught dead with Rory’ Adam announced, the idea alone caused him to laugh energetically.

My fingers were tempted to grab my knife and dart it straight into his heaving chest. His words were true; Jose would never be seen with someone like me. However, the truth came with a powerful sting.

‘Jose is even not a friend’ I uttered, the words felt bitter on my tongue. It’s true; I’m just Jose charity case.

There was a brief moment of silence before Adam started babbling on about swim tryouts. Excitement buzzed around him, it seized his frame. A goofy smile was plastered on his face and he continued to ramble on. Swimming is everything to Adam. Always has been, always will be. I was going, well being forced to, go to his tryouts for support. As Diane hammered into our head, family sticks together. We also are never to underestimate the importance of family, however broken it felt.

‘Aurora, you should get involved as well, like Adam’ Diane suggested as she slurped her drink

That may have been a good idea, but the fact I am terrible at almost everything dampened that thought. I’m not extremely intelligent, athletic or even enthusiastic enough. Consequently, school activities are not a major priority in my life. I’m also not in any rush to make any friends here. I’m a loner, so our king tends to be alone. If only Diane would listen or try to understand.

‘Maybe’, I mumbled, desperate to change the focus of me.

‘Tomorrow we have to go shopping, school will start in a few days’ Diane said,

Adam and I nodded compliantly. There was no point fighting, she would win.

‘Good news Aurora’ Diane exclaimed

My head snapped up, I haven’t had any good news in a while

‘I have signed you up for the town’s youth theatre; Adam told me you like plays’

Someone should tell Grandma Diane the meaning of good news.

Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:37 pm
geekyamna says...

Thanks, should have probably mentioned there are some grammer/spelling mistakes since its a first draft!

Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:28 pm
bElL3 says...

Okay, I noticed a few minor things here.
My computer is acting up, so I didn't get to finish anything except reading it. Other than what I've pointed out and a few places where you've forgotten to put in a period or "you're" instead of "you", and maybe a few other things that I missed. Sorry, this probably isn't as sufficient as you would have liked.
But what I like is this story. I think it's great. You have great detailing abilities.If I were you I'd just run through this and try to spot the places that I've already named. Good writing. \m/>.<\m/ ~Frankie Belle~

It seemed like mere minutes had passed after I finally slumbered of[/i]> Here. Umm... instead of saying this, try "dozed (or drifted) off". Slumbered of doen't sound quite right, only to be awoken again. The argument before breakfast, breakfast, and the argument after was a blur. Jose was in a rush, so all morning he barked orders at me. I huffed, pouted and moaned constantly but he acted oblivious to my growing frustration. [i]We walked back in complete silence, after the way he treated me, I refused to acknowledge his existence. We were out of the forest, when he brushed right by me towards the car park that has recently been creating for backpackers and campers > For some reason, I find this sentence confusing. that, and it doesn't come to a complete stop. It's alright though, Micro stinks :?

‘My house is that way’, I pointed to the opposite direction that he was walking in but he either didn’t hear me or just simply decided to ignore me. How rude. <Cute :D

‘Get in’

I ignored the order, the command, because it continued to dazzle me. My mouth dropped open, and I stuttered the words that I find difficult to digest <no period again

‘This is you car!’ is he trying to say "you're car?"

‘I’m sorry’ he murmured

‘Hmm’ he grumbled

‘wha-‘

‘Thanks’ I mumbled

‘Aurora’ she uttered

‘Grandma Diane, I didn’t me-‘

‘Oh’ I replied quietly

‘I would love to Mrs. Garcia’

‘Good news Aurora’ Diane exclaimed

Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:27 pm
bElL3 wrote a review...

‘Get in’

‘I’m sorry’ he murmured

‘Hmm’ he grumbled

‘wha-‘

‘Thanks’ I mumbled

‘Aurora’ she uttered

‘Grandma Diane, I didn’t me-‘

‘Oh’ I replied quietly

‘I would love to Mrs. Garcia’

‘Good news Aurora’ Diane exclaimed

I’d heard he had started a fistfight in one of the seedier local taverns because someone had insisted on saying the word “utilize” instead of “use".
— Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear