z

Young Writers Society


16+ Language Mature Content

The Fire Underneath of Things - 19

by Rook


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for language and mature content.

~1100 words

A/N: warning again about Tommy, that pig.

Grey

Lamp lighting didn’t start for a while, but Grey had a fair idea of what Tommy wanted to ask him about. Grey pushed back into the chamber room filled with pews. He was a little surprised to see Ivy and Nikki weren’t there, until he remembered that Alder had called them into his office. Grey walked up to the office door and stood for a second, steeling himself. He rehearsed the conversation in his head. May I speak to Ivy alone for a minute? Very good. It was polite, and it wasn’t awkward at all. You can do this. He knocked on the door.

Nikki opened it, looking concerned. “Yeah, Grey?”

“May I- Oh my- Ivy are you okay?” Grey was about to say exactly what he had rehearsed when he looked over Nikki’s shoulder and his eyes fell on Ivy’s tear-stained face. All thoughts he had previously prepared flew out of his mind.

Ivy waved him off, wiping at her tears with the back of her hand. “Fine, fine. Don’t worry about me.” She had the slightly erratic tone of someone trying too hard to keep their voice under control. Alder’s face was a mix of emotions that Grey couldn’t read, but he seemed to be trying to console Ivy.

“What do you want?” Nikki shifted her weight so she covered Grey’s view into the room.

“I uh… nothing, I guess. Never mind.” Grey turned quickly from the room as Nikki shut the door. He felt his face grow hot, but snatched up his lamp lighting tools from the workshop. Gidgit skittered out from under his coat’s lapel and looked up at him, tilting his head in a question.

“I tried, okay?” he shouted, but when Gidgit ran to hide back under his lapel, Grey regretted the outburst. “I tried,” he repeated softly.

--

After the lamps were lit and the sun was only a memory in the sky, Grey and Tommy stood together beneath Tommy’s last lamppost.

Tommy’s cigar was already smoking like a dragon. “You do it?” he asked.

“Do what?” Grey asked, trying to feign ignorance.

Tommy took the cigar out of his mouth and rolled his eyes, seemingly unbelieving at how thick Grey could be. “Ask the Gyp out.”

Grey exploded into action, shoving Tommy up against the lamppost. “You call her that one more time and I’ll…” His mind suddenly went blank.

Tommy, unfazed, gave a sharp-toothed, sly smile. “You’ll what?”

“I- I’ll tell Nikki you’re the foulest pig I’ve ever had the misfortune of laying eyes on, and I wouldn’t be lying,” Grey snarled.

Tommy, trying to look decently chastised, raised his hands in a placating gesture, though the remains of an amused grin remained on his face like last night’s spaghetti sauce. “Alright, alright, Mister Macho Man. You’ve convinced me. From this point on, no more potty mouth from me. I’m a reformed man.”

Grey didn’t move. “I’m serious, man.”

Tommy contorted his face into a mockery of a dead-serious business man on the cusp of making the most important deal of his career. “I swear.”

Grey backed off, then looked to his left, off in the distance and said, “No. I didn’t.”

“Excuse me?” asked Tommy, his spiteful grin flickering back into place.

“I didn’t ask her out,” Grey said a little more loudly.

“Oh so you’re a tough man when it comes to threatening me, but you couldn’t ask out a single wagtail?”

“I guess I didn’t make myself clear,” Grey said through clenched teeth. “You call her Ivy or you don’t talk about her at all.”

“Okay White Knight,” Tommy laughed, “I get it.”

“Anyway,” Grey muttered, “what was I supposed to do?’

“I don’t know, just ask her, maybe?”

“She was crying, Tommy! Tears were coming out of her eyes! What was I supposed to do?”

“What was she crying about? Maybe she just broke up with her last boy, hey?” He elbowed Grey in the ribs.

“Oh my goodness. What if she has a boyfriend already?” Grey blanched.

“Don’t worry, she wouldn’t. I don’t think any other guy would vie for her skinny skin. That other broad on the other hand…”

“Her name is Nikki. Honestly, why I even bother with you is a mystery to me. You are a pig,” Grey spat, even though he knew he could never abandon Tommy. When he wasn’t insulting women and ethnic minorities, he was actually pretty fun to be around. He always had something interesting to do on slow weekends. Not to mention he’d been Grey’s only friend for several years. His insults and cussing had never really bothered Grey before, but now, suddenly they did.

“Hey, I thought you were all against name-calling now!” Tommy objected.

“You’re right. I should be nicer to the pigs.”

The two glared at each other for a beat before breaking into grins.

“Sorry I said those things,” Tommy said, extinguishing his cigar.

“No you’re not,” said Grey.

“Well, maybe not, but I am sorry I said them around you. Now I know about a little party going on at the docks tonight. If you promise that next time you see Ivy you’ll ask her out, maybe I’ll let you come with me.” Tommy pulled out a little tin box filled with cigars and put the half-finished one back in.

A little suspicion formed in the pit of Grey’s stomach. “Why do you care so much about this?”

“You’re all mopey these days. Maybe once you two are an item I’ll get the old Grey back. Though I doubt I’ll get him back until a couple weeks after you’ve broken up. May as well get started now, yeah?”

“Are you sure it’s not because of Nikki?”

Tommy pretended to look surprised and affronted. “How dare you accuse me of having vested interest in your relations with a girl! As if our friendship wasn’t enough! Now swear you’ll at least try to ask her next time.”

“All right, I promise. Though if she starts crying again, it’s not for lack of trying on my behalf.”

“Yeah, why was she crying anyway?”

“I have no idea,” said Grey. “I wish I knew.”

“It’ll give you something to break the ice with next time!”

“Oh please no. If I ask her about it she’ll probably start crying then and there.”

“Good point. Females sure are fickle. Maybe you’ll find one more to your taste at this dock party, eh chap?”

“I know the kinds of girls at these parties of yours. They’re nothing like Ivy,” Grey declared fervently.

“But that’s nothing to keep you from window-shopping, is it?”

“No. Let’s go.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
760 Reviews


Points: 31396
Reviews: 760

Donate
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:49 pm
View Likes
ExOmelas wrote a review...



Hi Fort, I was reluctant to review chapter 19 of something bc I doubted I could do it justice but BlueAfrica pointed out that's how things end up stuck in the green room, so here I am!

Nit-picks and nice moments:

Not a nit-pick, but Tommy is indeed a pig >.>

“Okay White Knight,” Tommy laughed

Being extra pernickety because otherwise this nit-picks heading is going to become rendundant :P Comma after "Okay", full stop instead of comma at end of speech because laughing isn't a kind of speech. Also I'm not sure White Knight is that cutting, but maybe it would be if I knew Grey better.

Tears were coming out of her eyes!

I giggled at that xP

That other broad on the other hand…”

Teensy bit repetitive.

How dare you accuse me of having vested interest in your relations with a girl!

"vested interests" sounds a bit too formal for the tone of the conversation.

All right

Alright?

Last line - hehehe

Overall:

Character: I sympathise with Grey enough to be able to follow him through the story. He seems to be quite a good guy - would never dream of asking a girl out while she was crying - but is fine with tolerating Tommy (I'll get to the pig in a moment), as well as his final line showing he's not averse to indulging in what Tommy wants him to do. I don't feel like I'm totally on his side, but I'm able to sympathise with his emotions and hope things go well, as long as he doesn't do anything... piggy.

Tommy. Grrrrr. Shut up. *flicks on nose*. I am hoping this is the reaction you were hoping for.

Setting: There isn't a whole lot, but I'm assuming you've described this a-plenty in the 18 preceding chapters :P

Plot: This seems like quite a simple plot, and it's left me wondering what Grey was getting up to for the rest of the time he's been around. What I described in character (my complex reaction to Grey) has made me feel amenable to the people in your story though, and want things to go well for them in just this one chapter I've read, so good job there :)

Go Team After Watch! (I forgot to copy/paste the code for the banner :P)




User avatar
1735 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1735

Donate
Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:19 pm
View Likes
BluesClues wrote a review...



Tommy >:(

Man, it's a good thing I like Grey all right and that he's now telling Tommy to cut it out with the offensive language or I would seriously question why he's hanging out with such a bum - and just now starting to call him on his bs. I know, I know. Tommy's been his only friend basically forever. And he obviously doesn't want Alder to see whatever he's working on by himself, so he really doesn't even have Alder.

Although I certainly question how much he can trust Tommy. Which may not really be fair. A person can be a total bigot and still be trustworthy to their white male friends, I guess. But still.

I'm glad Grey is at least a good enough person not to ask someone out - or even to ask to talk to them in private - when he sees they're crying, thank goodness. I would've had to have gotten mad at him.

But wow.

“I know the kinds of girls at these parties of yours. They’re nothing like Ivy,” Grey declared fervently.

“But that’s nothing to keep you from window-shopping, is it?”

“No. Let’s go.”


Wow.

In other news: IVY'S DAD'S JOURNALS. How can you make me wait for more information about THAT???

Image





If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.
— Oscar Wilde