Connection - 32

by Rook

~1041

The Captain? Kerra asked, aghast. But… why? Why would she do something like that?

I’ve been asking myself the same question over and over again, Everen admitted.

Kerra scrambled for ideas, but the thought that the captain that Everen had always described as amazing and inspiring could do something like this was absurd. Can’t the motes tell you anything?

They can only tell that she’s feeling massively guilty right now, more so than anyone else on the ship. But they can’t read her mind, and any other emotions she’s feeling that might hint at a motive are being obscured by the amount of guilt she feels. Everen sent a feeling of helplessness. She was getting a lot better at sending clear, strong emotions. The motes must have been giving her a lot of practice with it.

Kerra didn’t know what to say anymore. She only wished she had the motes to tell her who killed her mother. That would make everything a lot easier. Or would it? Do you have any proof other than these aliens’ word that it was her?

No! And that’s the most difficult part about it! I know who it is, but I don’t know how to prove it! Without even a motive, I’m lost.

Kerra considered this as she began to pace around her apartment. It was a habit that she’d picked up ever since she’d had stacks of fertilizer in her home. Even if she did magically know who’d killed her mother, it would still be nigh impossible to prove it to the police. All the evidence would still point to suicide, no matter what Kerra said. Maybe you’ll just have to poke around some more and find some, Kerra suggested. She knew it was unhelpful, but she was just as stuck on this problem as Everen.

You’re probably right. Ugh. I’d better get back to work. Please don’t tell Abyssia about this conversation or anything.

Of course not. I’m only supposed to pass on messages from the captain, not from my sister. Kerra grinned. She’d never have believed that she was capable of so much intrigue and mischief. If only Shandi could see her now.

I’m sorry to hear about your dead-end lead. I hope you find a new one soon! Everen sent a feeling of hope, and then closed the connection.

Just before Kerra was about to do the same, she felt a brief something. It was the feeling you get when you know you’ve forgotten something important but can’t remember for the life of you what it is. Kerra had been getting this feeling for a while now, but she’d always brushed it off. But this time, it came stronger. It almost felt like déjà vu: there was a familiarity to it. When she closed the connection, the feeling went away.

Kerra was about to shrug it off and start combing through the list of Abyssians again, but something stopped her. Maybe it was Everen talking nonstop about these weird aliens that talked to her through the connection when she wasn’t focused on anything in particular that made her do it. Maybe she thought that the motes were somehow trying to contact her too, from hundreds of lightyears away.

Maybe she recognized what it was on a subconscious level.

But regardless of what made her do it, Kerra reopened the connection. The feeling came back almost at once. She tried to focus on it, and while it didn’t seem to get any clearer, it did get stronger. Whatever it was, it was impossible to think about.

Hello? She sent to the nothingness. Motes? Is that you?

But the thing didn’t respond like Everen had said the motes did.

Kerra didn’t know what to do, so she sat down on the floor to look at the tablet with the list of Abyssians. She kept the connection open, and the feeling thrummed in the background of her mind. She poured over it for a while, trying to find another lead, someone who could have possibly done it.

The feeling grew and grew as she worked. At a point, she realized that it was so powerful, she was having trouble seeing clearly, so she closed her eyes and tried to figure out what was nagging at her from the connection. Soon her vision was completely gone. She could only see blue. She briefly wondered if this was because of her circuitry, but she pushed that thought aside when she saw two shadowy figures emerging from the blueness.

One of the figures stopped where it was, so Kerra couldn’t make out much more than a vaguely person-shaped shadow, but the other figure came closer, becoming clearer. The feeling of forgetting something, of déjà vu, was so powerful that Kerra could hardly feel anything else.

She did feel her stomach drop though, when she suddenly recognized who was walking toward her.

Shandi.

It was her. Kerra could tell from the way she walked, and then from the way she held herself, and finally, she was looking straight into her dead sister’s face. It was as if she were seeing her through a blue haze, but it was Shandi alright.

Shandi? Kerra sent into the void of the connection.

The ghost in front of her broke into a grin. The feeling all around her coalesced into a single word. Kerra. The sound and feeling of the word echoed all around her.

I’m going crazy, Kerra sent, but it was more of a thought to herself.

Shandi, or the thing that looked like Shandi, shook her head with a sad smile.

You can’t be real, Kerra insisted.

Shandi shrugged. I am here, came Shandi’s voice. It remained echoey and distant.

It felt weird to talk to her this way. Kerra could still sense that the direct connection that she’d had to her sister was still severed, but here they were, able to communicate anyway.

I’ve been trying to talk to you for so long. The ghost of Shandi looked worn out, lacking Shandi’s usual zeal. I’m stuck. It’s hard… to talk. I’ve… missed you.

A tear streaked down Kerra’s cheek, and suddenly she didn’t care if it was just a dream brought on by stress. I’ve missed you too.

Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:31 am
keystrings wrote a review...

Hey there fortis! Popping by to give you another review, plus I was curious to see where this next chapter was going to go.

It'll be very interesting to learn how the captain really is involved here. The details of the Motes "reading" her emotions adds a really neat piece to a story that's already filled with a pretty different world, so thank you for the extra layer of interest. I also think it's cool that Everen is getting better at her abilities thanks to the Motes as well! I do hope that she gets some help from them in case some other nefarious activities happen on the ship before they arrive.

I haven't read a chapter from Kerra in a bit, so this is nice to get back into her viewpoint. I think her mixed/bunched-up feelings is a relatable state of mind to be in, as would learning more really help in the long run? I guess time will truly tell on that note. I like that we can get a nice part of Kerra growing as a person and being able to get her personality a little more "mischievous" as she dubbed herself.

The Shandi reveal was built up nicely and definitely struck up a chord. I still remember the emotion that came from when Kerra lost her, much like this one does as well. What is this going to mean? Maybe she'll be able to learn more about the outside world as well! I just really feel for Kerra here and am so curious as to what the future will bring us. Shandi was an interesting character to read about, so here's to good (hopefully) times ahead!

Nicely done as always.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:31 am
Shady wrote a review...

Fort!

Sorry for the delay in getting to this! This week has been a bit rough but now it's the weekend and I am so ready to read more! Let's get started....

Okay, so I admit that this is completely my own lack of observational skills... but given that I am probably not the only unobservant reader you'll have I thought I'd mention it lol. So my brain was still going on the shock from Everen hearing about it being the captain from the last chapter and I thought this was a direct continuation from that conversation so this took me off guard.

Like I know you have a clear dialogue tag saying Kerra, which should have alerted me to the fact that the conversation had changed, but honestly my brain didn't register the new name -- I thought Everen was asking the Motes why the captain would do it. So then this bit was just a little jarring to me.

Even if she did magically know who’d killed her mother, it would still be nigh impossible to prove it to the police.

Okay so I know what you're going for here -- a bit of connection like oh yes, I understand what my sister is going through, but maybe you could make the transition a bit clearer? Because like you are going from talking about the captain to her talking about the even if she knew her mother's killer and while the situations are similar, it was still a bit weird to be thrust back into the other timeline when I was expecting her to be thinking about Everen's problems just then.

Ooh, snap.

~ ~ ~

Dang! I am absolutely loving how much tension and drama and twists you are cramming into these recent chapters. It keeps things fresh and exciting and I am super impressed that you've been able to keep such a strong intensity of curiosity from me for so long.

Now there's the mother's murderer, the captain drama, and then bam you throw Shandi in on top of all of that. I really admire how you're able to keep us interested in all three sub-plots and are weaving them together in a way that we are reminded of what's going on and yet don't get tired of hearing about them.

I v much tip my hand too soon in novels and can't keep multiple lines of suspense going for so long so I totally admire and envy your ability to do so. This is such an excellent novel and I'm looking forward to the next ping!

~Shady 8)

oh to be a cat in a pile of towels
— ChesTacos