Connection - 18

by Rook

~1159

“Who were the other bodies at the funeral?” Everen asked.

Janna’s eyebrows drew together and she jerked her head back, surprised. “You didn’t know?”

“No. I was… incapacitated for about forty-eight hours.”

“You what!? Why? What happened?”

Everen heaved a deep sigh, but she didn’t know how to say it out loud.

When the silence stretched on, Janna stood up and walked to the cabinets set into the wall. “You must be starving,” she said, pulling out a ration pack.

“I am,” admitted Everen. She’d almost forgotten how hungry she was. It was like she’d reached a point where the hunger just felt numb. The idea of eating anything nauseated her, but that was one way she knew she should really probably eat something.

Janna paused halfway though stirring the mixture in the silvery ration pack. “Wait, please tell me you’ve had some water at least.”

Everen gave a small smile. “Yeah, I did. Don’t worry. I had a shower too. I was just on my way to find some food when I came upon the funeral. So… who were they?” she asked again, dreading the answer.

Janna was quiet for a moment. “Ptolemy and Haven,” she said at last, a quiver in her voice.

Everen knew that the news should upset her. Ptolemy was perhaps the most charismatic member of the communications team, and one of Everen’s favorite people to talk to. Haven was the head of the community division. She would have been in charge of administration of the society they’d build on their new planet. They were big losses, but it seemed as if Everen couldn’t adequately feel them. “Oh,” was all she could manage.

Janna walked back to Everen, holding out the steaming silver packet. It smelled like marinara sauce, and when Everen peeked at the label on the bag, she saw that it was supposed to be spaghetti. Everen could count on one hand the number of times she’d had to eat straight out of a ration pack. They had a cook/scientist on the ship, and while the food was mostly mediocre, at least it felt real, unlike the reconstituted pasta slumped in the thick silver plastic. Resigned to the sub-par food, Everen began to eat.

Once Janna saw that the bag was mostly emptied, she asked, “So must have been a pretty major ‘incapacitation’ if it prevented you from even eating for two days.” One of her eyebrows was raised in a question.

“Yeah, I guess.” Everen stared down at what was left of the ration. It was mostly the sauce-like substance, and it had gotten cold pretty quickly.

“Care to elaborate? Can I help you with anything?” Janna sat down next to Everen on the bed.

“I got bad news from home.” She pointed at her head.

Janna knew, of course, that any “news from home” could only come from one place, and that was Everen’s head, but she didn’t comment on that. Instead she said, “As if we haven’t had enough bad news. Everen, I’m so sorry that you’re the one that has to hear these things first. What happened? Is Abyssia alright?”

“Yeah, yeah,” Everen said dismissively. “It’s personal news. Family stuff. Don’t worry about the human race just yet.”

“Then what happened? With your family, I mean,” Janna said. Everen could tell that she was still trying to look concerned, but relief was written all over her face. Even if things were falling apart on the ship, at least everything back on Earth was doing relatively alright.

“We’re… we’re pretty sure that Shandi died.” The words felt hollow and fake on her tongue.

The relief on Janna’s face disappeared, replaced by genuine worry. “Oh no, that must be absolutely awful for you.” She leaned toward Everen to give her a small side-squeeze. “You must have been really sad to not have eaten for two days. I’m sorry if I’ve pressed too much. I could tell you were in shock, but I thought it was just at the new deaths. Everen, if I’d known–”

“It wasn’t the sadness.”

“What?”

“It wasn’t the sadness,” repeated Everen. “That wasn’t what made me incapacitated. It was the pain.”

“The pain? Like, heartbreak?” Janna looked genuinely confused.

Everen sighed again. “No, like, when she died,” she pointed at her head, “I could feel it. It was the worst pain I’ve ever felt. So much so that I must have blacked out for two days. I woke up on the floor of my room.”

Janna’s mouth hung agape as she processed what Everen was saying. Eventually, she must have cleared her thoughts enough to speak, because she said, “I can’t even imagine. The connection you have… I’d forgotten you could send sensations through it.”

“If they’re strong enough, sometimes they get sent accidentally,” Everen mumbled.

“Perhaps you now know what it feels like to die,” Janna whispered in a sort of terrified awe.

It was this statement that sent Everen over the edge. She felt her throat close up and unbearable pressure behind her eyes and in her head. She let out a strangled cry, and it wasn’t until she had taken several shuddering breaths that she was able to force out the words, “I miss her.”

Janna rubbed Everen’s back and made small consoling noises.

“I miss her. I miss her. She’s gone, gone gone.”

“Sh. Sh. Of course you miss her. You’ll be okay. Maybe not now, but eventually, you’ll be okay. Sh. Sh.”

“She didn’t even like me and now I can’t ever change that.” Everen was babble-crying now, but she didn’t even care. “I thought she would grow up a bit and then we’d all just put our past behind us but she’s dead and she never even liked me and now something’s missing it’s all just gone and missing, and, and, and–”

“Sh. Sh. Breathe, Everen. Even breaths.” Janna reached over to the side table and snatched a couple tissues from the box there. Everen took it with grateful hands, wiping at her tears, blowing her nose.

Everen took a minute or two to calm down, but eventually her breathing was somewhat even, although it did hitch occasionally. “I know it’s selfish of me,” she said quietly. “You and everyone else on the ship lost everyone a long time ago.”

“Perhaps,” Janna agreed. “But they died in their time. It feels like a time far removed from now. It feels like a story, a legend. Time is the healer of all wounds, they say. And we came to terms with it before we even stepped foot on this ship. No, I think you have it hardest out of anyone. I couldn’t care less about what’s happening to individuals in Abyssia. In a way I’m free, but you have these ties that must hurt every day, knowing you can never be with them again. Your tears are more than justified, Everen. And you’re stronger than I could ever be.”

Que wrote a review...

Hey fortis! Happy New Year. :) I know it's been a while since I've reviewed Connection--I've missed your story so much!

So my main thoughts with this chapter were that while Everen was relatively consistent in her pain, Janna was sort of all over the place. She was concerned, relieved, and then actually sad for her friend. I loved how she was practical and actually got Everen to eat food after being out for two days, but something about her concern just feels a little superficial almost? I think it's because of the bit with her relief, it makes it seem as if her concern was pasted on when it probably wasn't she just didn't understand the full extent of what Everen was going through.

Also, I thought this line

was a little insensitive? I thought it was really interesting to put in here, but the fact that Janna just comes out with it without embarrassment may have contributed to my thought that she wasn't really concerned for Everen. So I like the line's presence, but it doesn't really make Janna seem like a wonderful friend.

It also took a while for Everen to point out that she was "incapacitated" by the pain, not the grief. I guess that builds some suspense, but we already know how it went down with Kerra, so I'm not quite sure why it's drawn out here. Maybe Everen is still in a haze and so she doesn't register at first that Janna doesn't automatically understand? I just thought that it felt a bit odd that it took so long to get to the heart of the matter, and maybe there's a way to make that seem like a more natural flow.

I'm not sure if this has been addressed before? But I know that Shandi got some advanced operations done that helped her out, whereas Kerra still feels pain whenever someone touches her too hard. Would Everen still be like Kerra in that regard, with the implants and whatnot?

Overall, this chapter was pretty heartbreaking. Shandi was not exactly the greatest sister, but both Kerra and Everen are impacted by it far beyond the physical pain. It's just such a terrible event, and it's made worse when Everen realizes that she'll never be able to get closer to her sister.

I also love the last paragraph, where Janna really feels for Everen's pain. I think that's very well written and I love what it's saying. I also love the line about Everen always being the first to receive news from home, whether good or bad.

I get this feeling that Shandi's death has to be the catalyst for something, but I'm not sure what. The attempt to reach the surface has failed, but it doesn't feel like there are too many loose ends connected with it. That still leaves Kerra on earth and Everen in space with several people dead. Perhaps Kerra will be inspired to do something, but I'm not sure what that will be.

Nice chapter! I mean, sad, but nicely written. :) I'm excited as always to see where things head next.

-Q

Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:18 am
Shady wrote a review...

Heya fort!

Shady here with a review for you on this fine Review Day, courtesy of the Red Team. I know I am jumping into this story super late, so I apologize in advance if I miss something that I wouldn't have otherwise missed if I'd been following your novel all along, but I'm trying to tackle the Green Room backwards, and yours is next on my list ;)

I don't know if you're familiar with my reviewing style or not, but just in case you're not... I tend to make comment as I'm reading on things that I notice (both positive and negative!) and then give a general summary at the end. Let's get started...

“You what!? Why? What happened?”

Yes, what happened? I assume you probably mean that she was blacked out, but 'incapacitated' is a word that could have several meanings. I mean, she could have just as easily been tied up in someone's basement and that would have also incapacitated her. And I recognize that whatever happened to her was probably explained in the previous chapter, but even so, it might be worth making this a bit more specific as to why she was incapacitated for so long?

They had a cook/scientist on the ship

Oh no, someone put a scientist in charge of the cooking. Danger. DANGER. ;)

Awww, oh no! :( Okay, now I see what you mean by the incapacitated. I guess I jumped the gun complaining about it lol.

~ ~ ~

Aww, this is such a tear-jerker chapter... and a very well written one at that. I don't even know your characters to have a connection to them, and yet you were able to make me relate enough that I actually could feel the grief that Everen had, having to deal with her loss.

I, obviously, don't know how this fits in with your overall plot to be able to comment on that, but I do know that this was a very well written chapter and it feels like it probably has excellent emotional development/characterization for your characters.

Well done and keep writing!

~Shady 8)

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:11 am
Dossereana wrote a review...

Hi there @fortis I am here to do a review on you work. So lets get into it shell we.
Plot
Okay the holl plot here seems like it is moving and you have got it planned out a bit, by the way I am loving all the names you put in here. I think that your doing a grate job with this part of it.

Description
Okay I think that there is a lot of talking going on in the first part of this and not much description really like what do the characters look like, and the soundings and things like that I do not really think that there is much of that in here. going on to the next thing~

um okay this bit I notes ed that forty eight hours is longer then one day, I think that is not really right to be onist,

Sorry but those too words Ptolemy and haven I have never herd of them and so that means I do not no what them mean I ask of you nicely just to tell my of what it means.

If they’re strong enough, sometimes they get sent accidentally,” Everen mumbled.
I feel like those too lines did not really go to gather very well here, I do not no how they would get sent accidentally, it is very weird, the first part was find just the next bit was a bit strange.

“She didn’t even like me and now I can’t ever change that.” Everen was babble-crying now,
I feel like this bit is full of so much amoshins and feelings. So that is all that I can say, So keep up the really good work, also I think that this was very good nice work also if I am being a bit hard then I am sorry.

@EagleFly out to seek and kill

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You’ve just crossed over into… the Twilight Zone.
— Rod Serling