Boredom

by Rook

“Boredom (bôr’ dǝm) n. The condition of being bored or uninterested.”

-Webster’s New World Dictionary of the American Language, Warner Books, 1987

-Note: this is not to say that YWS is boring. Quite the oppisite, actually.

Title: Boredom; Sweeping epidemic, or explainable phenomenon? Or why YWSers are always bored.

Purpose: The purpose of this lab is to determine the reasons why YWSers are always bored.

Variables: Not every YSWer is the same, but the majority (that we have observed during the duration of the expirament) has expressed feelings of boredom or lack of something to do.

Procedure:

1)Spend an awful lot of time chatting with people in the chat room and the chat bar.

a.Observe for 2 weeks.

b.Do not intentionally bring up the subject of boredom.

2)Take note of the activities that the individuals who claim to be bored.

3)Don’t procrastinate on actually writing the paper.

a.Write it lab-report-style

b.Make a pretty pie graph

c.Make up believable statistics

d.Draw a reasonable conclusion

Data:

-It was noted that the number of adolescents who participate in this website is extremely high.

-It was also noted that during the observation period, all those observed were under the age of 26.

-On average, 1 out of every 3 times the chat room was visited for an extended period of time (2 hours or more), at least one user claimed boredom.

-75% of the time, another user agreed with the first user who claimed boredom.

-Out of all the conversations had on chat, not one user mentioned that they were doing a sport

Graph:

Conclusion:

There are several factors contributing to the over-all boredom rates of YWSers. Age, Occupation, and preferences of leisure activities.

Age: As noted in the data, all YWSers observed were under 26 years old, however, most were adolescents. This age group has had technology at their fingertips for most of their life, and technology has gotten better and faster in the past 10 years or so. So fast, that most of the young people with access to technology have gotten used to instant gratification. Unlike the past, the young people of today no longer have to wait as long or as much for nearly anything. This gives the young people more time. Young people who have grown up with the internet all their life are much more likely to squander that extra free time on the internet as opposed to adults who, in certain cases, are still strangers to the internet and would rather catch up on whatever activities they did before the internet was invented.

Occupation: With so many young users (This is YOUNG Writer’s Society, is it not?) it’s likely that a large amount of users are full- or part-time students. Many schools have a seasonal hiatus in the summer months, and shorter breaks at various other times. Although these times off of school are not globally synchronized to the same months, there is still a large amount of time in which many students are left with little else to do than “hang around.” It is during such a time that many are attracted to the internet to alleviate the boredom that comes with taking such a long break after having been busy all year with schooling. Simply put, many students don’t know what to do with their time after being freed from responsibilities.

However, not all young people go to school. Many have jobs to pay for their price of living. Sadly, most of these jobs are not “dream-jobs” per say, and many young people may feel less connected to their jobs than full-fledged adults are to theirs. Consequently, they spend less time worrying about their job than adults, and less time socializing with their coworkers, who, if most of their coworkers are much older than them, may seem too distant in age to be considered a “friend.” Thus, the young adult turns to the internet in search of people to communicate with. Also, many young adults are unemployed, which gives them LOADS of free time.

Other leisure activities: Also noted in the data is that out of all the conversations had in chat, not one user mentioned they were doing a sport. Sports take up a great deal of time, which would explain why a user who played sports would not spend as much time on YWS as a user who did not play sports. Generally, those who are more physically active seem to be less bored, but those who are more physically active spend less time sitting in front of the computer, doing…. Not much. Same goes for many other activities; if the activity takes up lots of time, there is less time for sitting around doing nothing, and instead of being bored, it is called “relaxing,” which is completely different.

tl;dr I HAVE WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS

Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:40 am

I am crazy.

Hehe. Just messing with you. This was put like any other essay, so, I don't know what to say about this piece. I mean... it's an essay. I've done one before... It's kinda boring. But hey, who am I to say that this was boring? I looked up boredom out of-boredom.

With All Do Respect
Wholesomereader

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:44 pm
BookWorm97 wrote a review...

Hey there fortis,

I really love your essay! I was smiling the whole way through! You are completely right! I do the exact same thing!

I like the layout and structure of your piece of writing and I must say it is the first essay I have read since I registered with YWS!

It was really humorous and superb! I'll make sure that I look out for you!

Ciao

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:08 pm
barefootrunner wrote a review...

Hi there! Belated welcome to YWS :)

Firstly, this was great in its utter irony! I really enjoyed your work :)

Okay, a couple of quick picks:

"that we have observed for the duration of the experiment"—two errors.

that ==> of?

Sadly, most of these jobs are not “dream-jobs” per say, and many young people may feel less connected to their jobs than full-fledged adults are to theirs.

per say ==> per se. Latin, I do believe.

Okay, so I loved the intro. The method had a lot of spunk, the graph was fantastic. Where you lost a bit of the fun, was in the analysis. You had too much real stuff in there. No, really :D
Am I seriously doing a review on this? I don't even know where to begin—it's a lab report... no it's not. Yes it is. No, wait—what?
Okay. You want to avoid that confusion. Keep it funny and a little unreal even toward the end, with some shoddy work, perhaps some rants or musings to keep up the disreality of it all. Great job overall, though. I had a good laugh :D

barefootrunner

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:56 am

I will review this!!

So, first off I think you may want to double check your numbers for the pie graph, because it's been my annalysis that many crazy people can also be bored and vice versa, also I think the numbers of crazy people would be a little higher, especially seeing that your data pool comes from the chat room.

Altogether, I thought that this was really funny, and an amusing play on a scientific paper, also it had areas of interesting insight. Also I applaud you for putting something into the 'scientific' category on YWS! We all need to read a good scientific essay now and again. I didn't see any blaring spelling/grammar errors, and the formating seemed good to me as well. The last line you put some random letters before "I have way too much time on my hands" but besides that I liked the serious/sarcastic/humorous tone of the whole essay.
Thanks for posting!
~Alliyah~

Rook says...

Those letters stand for "too long, didn't read." uh...
"Said whenever a nerd makes a post that is too long to bother reading."
-Urban dictionary

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:06 am
ImHero says...

Oh Fortis.. This makes me laugh on a personal level. Keep doing whatever this is. :)

Be steadfast as a tower that doth not bend its stately summit to the tempest’s shock.
— Dante Alighieri