z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

People Like Us

by florencehall


Lost people like us

Don’t find homes

We find thorns

Lost people like us

Don’t chase dreams

We chase needs

Lost people like us

Don’t want fame

We want hugs

Lost people like us

Don’t have trust

We have doubt

Lost people like us

Don’t forgive

We forgo

Found people like us

Born to rage

Choose to smile

Found people like us

Born to give

Choose to take

Found people like us

Born to break

Choose to heal

Found people like us

Born to hate

Choose to love

Found people like us

Born to die

Choose to live


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
41 Reviews


Points: 3706
Reviews: 41

Donate
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:54 pm
HalfheartedAmateur wrote a review...



Interpretations:

"Lost people like us

Don’t find homes

We find thorns"

Homes and thorns could represent numerous of things like the concept of love and hate where love is homes and hate is thorns. In homes, 'normal' people may find safety/protection, acceptance/respect, and trust/love. Meanwhile 'people like us' or 'lost people like us' may find hatred/mistrust, disrespect/nonacceptance, and unsafe/vulnerability. In general, those who are 'normal' to society are treated with fairness and warmth/affection, while those who are not 'normal' to society are treated with a narrow-mind and are seen as a someone who will harm you in a way if you dare interact/converse with them.

"Lost people like us

Don’t chase dreams

We chase needs"

Dreams are wants and needs are necessities/essentials. 'Lost people like us' cannot chase our wants for it is frowned upon or if it doesn't fit with society's norms, then it's viewed as a negative thing. Dreams are unreachable for society displays 'lost people like us' as nonsense, foolish, stupid, unwanted, unloved, and unacceptable. Needs are to lower our expectations and standards of the life for ourselves - we must survive, not live. Dreams allow 'lost people like us' to pursue their passions and reveal themselves as extraordinarily ordinary, so instead of standing out which is viewed as unacceptable and weird, 'lost people like us' are forced to conform to what is deemed as normal and hide what/who we truly are.

"Lost people like us

Don’t want fame

We want hugs"

There's a difference between gaining attention and receiving affection that is genuine. 'Lost people like us' don't want to be put on display for others to see and be popular for our 'flaws, imperfections, and abnormalities' that are different than what society deems as normal. 'Lost people like us" want to be sincerely loved because of who/what they are unconditionally. Love is more valuable than the amount of attention they receive, especially recognition for the simplicity that they are the same as anyone else - human. Similar to how the circus shows people with different attributes on their body or something 'special' that they can do and how they are treated as an exhibit instead of normal human beings with the same respect and acceptance as anyone else.

"Lost people like us

Don’t have trust

We have doubt"

Mistreatment towards 'lost people like us' causes them to have the mindset that nobody wants or loves them, so genuine generousity of others - 'lost people like us' cannot allow ourselves to truly believe the kindness that others give to us because we've been hated on and mistreated for so long.

"Lost people like us

Don’t forgive

We forgo"

This section seems to confuse others and the reviews comment on how forgo is a spelling error. I doubt that it is. According to Google, forgo means to "omit or decline to take (something pleasant or valuable); go without" and "refrain from." I think this word was carefully chosen to convey something important, but it's at the tip of my tongue and won't reveal itself. I don't know, but I understand what this is trying to convey, but the words won't just flow into something that is understandable to others. If you are a 'lost people like us' I think you just get it because it applies to you personally, but if you don't, then you don't.

"Found people like us

Born to rage

Choose to smile"

Maybe it's just someone's personality and who/what they are, but are considered psycho or mentally unstable to go into a psych ward or to a troubled teens center. There's a fire within someone, waiting to explode either positively or negatively or both - they must dim themselves, their spark and passionate anger for whatever they are enthusiastic about and would willingly let out - but they must bottle it up and dial it down. Be calm, be cool. Repress and suppress. Don't fully be oneself or else.

"Found people like us

Born to give

Choose to take"

Greed. Money. Drain. Exhaust. Hierarchy. Put in ones place. Rights. Equality. Identity. You name it, they take it instead of accepting and give respect.

"Found people like us

Born to break

Choose to heal"

I don't really know how to interpret this one or the other ones below that begin with "Found people like us" because I don't really understand and it's not as relatable to me.

My mind may not understand because perhaps I do not consider myself "found people like us" but instead I am more of a "lost people like us" understander.

Review:
A universal theme of misfits being misunderstood while others are normal. I like it.

- Lil, aka HalfheartedAmateur




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 828
Reviews: 13

Donate
Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:58 pm
waterfalls wrote a review...



hello!! welcome to YWS

I find this entire poem very beautiful. I love how it's a comparison of lost people and found people, and how none of them have perfect lives. I love how each and every line tells us a story.

Lost people like us

Don’t chase dreams

We chase needs

Lost people like us

Don’t want fame

We want hugs


I love these lines since they really tell us that lost people aren't even asking for much. They just want love.

Lost people like us

Don’t forgive

We forgo


also, I think here, you mean "we forget" right?

Moving on to the found people, I love how each line says what they were born to do, but they didn't do that. They didn't have to do what they were born to do. They were born to rage but chose to smile. Born to break but chose to heal. Born to hate, but chose to love. Born to die, but chose to live. These lines themselves are extremely powerful, and you were able to get the message across. That it's solely up to you to choose the good side or the bad side, it doesn't matter if you were born to break, you can heal. That's really deep.

I think you did a great job writing this poem. One thing I would recommend is having paragraph breaks, so everything is more organized. Though this poem was meant to be quite straightforward, I think you can use similes, metaphors, and figurative language to further enhance and perfect the poem.

I'm looking forward to reading more of your works. Bye!




User avatar
120 Reviews


Points: 1100
Reviews: 120

Donate
Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:56 pm
GengarIsBestBoy wrote a review...



This poem is really inspiring and emotional. I like how the “lost” people are seen as misunderstood (because people think they want fame when they just want to be loved). I also like the lines in the end “found people like us / born to hate / choose to love/ found people like us / born to die/ choose to live” because I found these inspirational. This kind of reminded me of the poem “I’m Nobody” by Emily Dickinson.

I was a little confused on the lines “we don’t forgive, we forgo.” Was it supposed to say “forgot” or was forgo intentional?

Anyways, really great, keep up the good work!




User avatar
198 Reviews


Points: 14218
Reviews: 198

Donate
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:24 am
AkuRashomon wrote a review...



Hi, hello! This is Ina a.k.a loveissourgrapes speaking. I am here to comment/ review your very interesting, inspirational poem of what people chose, and do whichever is right or wrong because of course, everyone in this world is not perfect. I think I wrote a poem like this. Anyways, let's into it.

I like the description of the "lost people" finding thorns instead of homes and seems to be emotional in a way. Chasing needs instead of dreams, well someday you will find your dream, you will be found and chase that dream because you try hard until you get there, no matter how lost you are. I like the lines:

Lost people like us
Don't want fame
We want hugs

Some people think lost people want popularity because they are lost and people think these type of people want attention from many people but they just want love from loved ones. The lines:

Don't have trust
We have doubt
Lost people like us
Don't forgive
We forgot

Are these lines meant that people don't trust them or "we" don't trust? I think you misspelled "forgot". Also, I think it is better to make it "we forget" instead because of the past-present grammar here.

Found people like us

Born to rage

Choose to smile

Found people like us

Born to give

Choose to take

Found people like us

Born to break

Choose to heal

Found people like us

Born to hate

Choose to love

Found people like us

Born to die

Choose to live

These stanzas/lines are very inspiring and emotional in a way where you've got to find people like you. Born to break, hate, and die but choose to heal, love, and live.

Thank you for sharing a beautiful poem, just polish it a little and it'll be better. Have a good morning, day, afternoon, or night.





"I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy..."
— Unnamed Girl from "Mean Girls"