The Tempest

by Featherstone

This is a school assignment for a poem on weather. Not my best piece ever, but it's due Thursday, so any help is welcome. Thanks for taking the time to read this! :D

______________________________

A blasting wind, a howling gale,

calls forth a malicious storm.

Silently the animals await an ending for their tale,

with thunder's deepened rumble does the sky transform:

Lightning strikes in the abyss,

fire in the night,

and all around there's only silence,

the darkness breaks in a single shaft of bright.

The sun arises, around it gleaming gold,

a colored rainbow shows its face-

out of darkness comes the light as in every tale of old,

it's the same in every place.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:56 am
Dracula wrote a review...

I suppose since it's already been handed in you might not be looking for reviews, but hey, I'm here anyway! :P

Wow. Your syllables, rhythm and all that were spot on. It was so easy to read and rolled off my tongue. I even wonder if the third and forth lines, plus eight and nine, possibly the second to last, might be split into two lines each? It would emphasise the fast but steady speed of the poem.

I liked your language, the words spin together magically but they aren't overly complicated.

My only nitpick is 'the darkness breaks...' I think some time passes between when the storm breaks and the storm ending, and 'the' doesn't really show this. But if you added an N so it becomes 'then', that would suggest that some time has passed.

I could visibly see the animals hiding and waiting for the sun. It's also a wonderful message and links to my favourite quote: The darkest hour is before the dawn. I really liked this, thanks for sharing!!

Featherstone says...

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed! :D I don't write poetry much but once in a while I'll write a good one :P

Midnightmoon wrote a review...

Hello! Mockingjay78 here for a quick review. This is a very nice poem, just have a few suggestions.
"A blasting wind, a howling gale,
calls forth a malicious storm."

That's nice, but I would do something like;
"A blasting wind, a howling gale,
Calling forth a malicious storm."

And on this line;
"With thunder's deepened rumble does the sky transform"
I would do something like,
"When the thunder sounds" or
"When thunder's deepened rumble"

Just a few suggestions. Other than that, it's great!

Featherstone says...

Thanks for reading and reviewing!

Biluata wrote a review...

Hello there, Luata here to write a review. It's been a while again since I've written any reviews, so please forgive me if I go off on a tangent or stop making sense (it's still early here). I'm not sure if I've reviewed any of your work before, so I'll give you the quick run-down of how my reviews work. I divide them into sections, trying to make them easier to read. If something I say doesn't make sense, or if you want me to elaborate on something, drop me a comment or a PM, I'd be more than happy to chat. You are the author, so take or leave my suggestions as they prove helpful. Onward and upward!

Overall, I thought this was really good for a school assignment. A lot of times, things written for school that people post on here seem to lack some passion, but yours lacks none, at least in my opinion. Your imagery and flow was spectacular (though the rhyme scheme tripped me up in a few places, but more on that later) and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your poem.

Grammar

I'm not usually the most qualified person to help with grammar, but I'll give it my best shot. Because your piece was short, there wasn't a great deal of grammar errors (at least, as far as my very not-grammar-savvy-eye can see) except for this one, which is a very tiny, tiny nit-picky detail.

Lightning strikes in the abyss,

The : should be a ; since you have a main clause and then a sentence that can stand alone.

That's it! The only grammar error I could find!

Flow

Normally I detest rhyme schemes, even though I used them a great deal when I was starting out in poetry, but yours seemed to work really nice. The only bit I had a problem with was this chunk:

Lightning strikes in the abyss,

fire in the night,

and all around there's only silence,

The word abyss and silence are a near rhyme (I might be mistaken, they might actually rhyme) but they aren't a pleasing rhyme, if that makes sense, which is disrupting the overall flow of your poem.

Other than that, I thought you did a wonderful job with this. I look forward to reviewing your future works.
~Luata

Edit: just realized the person who reviewed your work before me also pointed out the almost rhyme ^_^ Sorry for pointing that out again!

Featherstone says...

No problem! I'll see what I can do to fix that. I appreciate you taking the time to review- thanks! I'll be sure to switch that colon, too!

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:36 am
JaxSamford wrote a review...

Beautiful! Nice beginning, middle, and end, though a little hard to discern (perhaps a better transition between the pounding thunder and breathless silence- some sort of clear change to signal that things stop...?).

Also, who are the creatures? What are they doing besides waiting, or better yet, where are they waiting? One last thing, abyss and silence don't really rhyme or flow, so it breaks up the poem a little bit and makes for an uneven read.

Other than that, it's really beautiful and powerful, the vocabulary is well rounded, and it's a very powerful piece. It gives a certain amount of darkness in the beginning that's well balanced by the lighter aspects towards the end! I really like it! :D

Featherstone says...

Thanks! I appreciate it, and I'll see if I can go change up that clunky bit.

The universe will reward you for taking risks on its behalf.
— Shakti Gawain